• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Brasil and Nintendo Latinoamérica have official Twitter accounts now

mazi

picross pundit

Welcome to the official account of #NintendoBrasil , a new channel for you to know in your own language the next Nintendo news available in Brazil.

Welcome to the official account of #Nintendo Latin America! A new space to inform you in your language about the news that Nintendo will have available in Latin America.

Last edited:
Did they return for production or just a marketing account? Last I remember they left the market in 2015

Yes, Switch consoles and controllers / accessories are both available here
OLED model will be avaiilable starting next week and we already have a proper website / eShop

I understand that Nintendo is objectively a small company (between 5,000-10,000 employees I believe), but their lack of a globalized presence always blows my mind. Glad to hear that they're selling hardware officially in LATAM again.

Nintendo Latam can we get some regional pricing please.

I still find it astonishing that Nintendo chose to return and dive in headfirst into Brazil during our worst economic and social crisis in recent times, in the middle of a pandemic and with the Brazilian Real strongly devalued. But hey, not gonna complain.

I understand that Nintendo is objectively a small company (between 5,000-10,000 employees I believe), but their lack of a globalized presence always blows my mind. Glad to hear that they're selling hardware officially in LATAM again.
And despite that, Nintendo can at least offer local currencies in some of their digital stores. Meanwhile Sony, since 2006, still sells everything in dollars for LATAM.

I hope this somehow means games become a bit cheaper here. Buying retail games is tough.

I'm happy with the news.. but I truly miss accessible physical games on stores;

they really need to return on normal retail

Next step: games in Brazilian, I don't mean Portuguese I mean Brazilian, I want full localization Yu Yu Hakusho Dub style. I want to see the next Pokémon game with phrases like "cara feia pra mim é fome", "rapadura é doce mas não é mole não" and all that.

I was so glad they finally came back to Brazil 2 years ago, I hope this means we'll get localized games more frequently.

I still find it astonishing that Nintendo chose to return and dive in headfirst into Brazil during our worst economic and social crisis in recent times, in the middle of a pandemic and with the Brazilian Real strongly devalued. But hey, not gonna complain.
What? They should have never left in 1st place.

Next step: games in Brazilian, I don't mean Portuguese I mean Brazilian, I want full localization Yu Yu Hakusho Dub style. I want to see the next Pokémon game with phrases like "cara feia pra mim é fome", "rapadura é doce mas não é mole não" and all that.

Sword and Shield protagonist entering the arena like "to na área, se derrubar é pênalti"

images

What I miss the most are physical games being sold officially. The prices we have to pay for physical games here are ridiculous.

I'm already suffering because I'll have to pay a shitload for Pokemon if I want to play it at launch (which means like 2 weeks after it launches)

But Nintendo is in a better place now than in 2015.
I mean, sure.. but when they left the country, it's not like they were just relying on the Wii U either; 3DS was always a consistent seller and software attach rate was pretty good too.

If anything, Brazilians were more bummed about the lack of 3DS games on retail than anything else.. though, I remember that even after their departure, they partnered with a temporary distributor just so they could sell Majora's Mask 3D and Pokémon Sun & Moon here

But Nintendo is in a better place now than in 2015.
Sure. But I think it's due to some internal change at NoA. Not necessarily tied to the Fils-Aimé~Bowser transition, but NoA definitely set its sights on Brasil since 2019, and it's going further than in the Wii U era.

Hell, they just announced a Switch pack-in with MK8D and 3 months of NSO. I don't remember Nintendo consoles here getting those type of deals before?

Their prices are still hard to swallow, but it's massive progress. And during the most hostile times this country ever face since the re-democratization.

sorry to bump this thread; but I would like to say that after almost 2 years of being officially present here, it is bizarre that Nintendo still doesn't localize all their games to the Brazilian Portuguese. It is especially bad when you consider that even really small titles made by a couple of dudes in the middle of nowhere have PT-BR language available on day one.

On a related note: the real reason for this rant is that my nephew (who is 9) just sent me a message asking If I could have his Super Mario RPG on Switch translated into Brazilian Portuguese and I had to say no.

But it gets worse: there's a fan-made translation available.. on ryujinx.

Nintendo for the last 40 years have had Japan and North America as their top priority and Europe as a distant third priority market, the rest have been very low priority. But i think president Furukawa have stated that Nintendo wants to grow more in markets outside those 3 traditional markets for Nintendo consoles and games in the future. So hopefully they are willing to spend more resources to grow in more places in the future.

Nintendo for the last 40 years have had Japan and North America as their top priority and Europe as a distant third priority market, the rest have been very low priority. But i think president Furukawa have stated that Nintendo wants to grow more in markets outside those 3 traditional markets for Nintendo consoles and games in the future. So hopefully they are willing to spend more resources to grow in more places in the future.
They've substantially developed their presence in Europe since the start of this generation. With GameStop pulling out of some European markets, Nintendo scrambled to set up their own website for the Irish market. The store.nintendo.ie section works, but www., my. and support. aren't live yet.

I kind of wish they'd just do what Microsoft does and have Nintendo.com/[region code], because having support, sales and news spread across three different websites is insane. I buy and return through .ie, I use the support section of .com, but I have to use the warranty repair portal of .co.uk, and it's hard to explain how insane it is to run a warranty repair program across the EU border.

sorry to bump this thread; but I would like to say that after almost 2 years of being officially present here, it is bizarre that Nintendo still doesn't localize all their games to the Brazilian Portuguese. It is especially bad when you consider that even really small titles made by a couple of dudes in the middle of nowhere have PT-BR language available on day one.

On a related note: the real reason for this rant is that my nephew (who is 9) just sent me a message asking If I could have his Super Mario RPG on Switch translated into Brazilian Portuguese and I had to say no.

I totally agree with you and that's a bummer. They have even European languages that probably have smaller markets/players than Brazil, but somehow we're never a priority.
I mean, I'm super happy to have Switch Sports and Super Mario Bros Wonder being even voiced in Portuguese, but... It should extend to the other games, SPECIALLY text heavy ones like Zelda or Mario RPGs.

Pikmin 4 in Brazilian Portuguese was a huge get, and I think people mostly unfairly dismissed it. It's a big 1st Party Nintendo game, with lots and lots of texts and instructions. And to a smaller extent (due to amount of text), Super Mario Bros. Wonder as well, as it was the next big mainline Mario game and played by kids.

I'm sure people only will "care" when it's Zelda, Xenoblade and Pokémon though, but we're getting in there. Hopefully by the Switch 2 we won't be needing to even wonder what will or not be localized.

Yeah, it's a shame. It doesn't affect me personally as I always play in English even if portuguese is available, but it's always hard recommending a Switch to friends who are parents because their children won't be able to understand the game (I know we did our best and managed to do it as kids, but, you know, different times). It's especially jarring when their games are the most expensive in our market.

I also hope we get a simultaneous, or least a close release window for the Switch 2 here. It's ridiculous they take 1-2 years to bring new hardware officially.

I'm sure people only will "care" when it's Zelda, Xenoblade and Pokémon though, but we're getting in there. Hopefully by the Switch 2 we won't be needing to even wonder what will or not be localized.
I will only care when they start localizing ALL their games.

And again, if a small indie company can do it, I'm sure Nintendo can do it too.

Pikmin 4 in Brazilian Portuguese was a huge get, and I think people mostly unfairly dismissed it. It's a big 1st Party Nintendo game, with lots and lots of texts and instructions. And to a smaller extent (due to amount of text), Super Mario Bros. Wonder as well, as it was the next big mainline Mario game and played by kids.

Pokémon and how it handles saves, languages and regions desperately needs to get with the times.

Last edited:
I will only care when they start localizing ALL their games.

And again, if a small indie company can do it, I'm sure Nintendo can do it too.
Being completely fair, it's an issue with every Japanese company, not just Nintendo; Bandai NAMCO, Capcom and Square Enix all have their discrepancies when comes to what they decide to localize or not..

Final Fantasy 16, VII Remake and VII Rebirth? sure, Brazilian Portuguese text.. Crisis Core Reunion, Dragon Quest Monsters, Octopath Traveller II? not even that;

Resident Evil Village can get a Brazilian Portuguese dub, Monster Hunter Rise and Street Fighter 6 gets translated text... Mega Man 11 and all the Legacy Collections, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, nope, not even menus.

Bandai NAMCO goes their way to bring the anime cast to dub Naruto games here, meanwhile, Dragon Ball which has such a big following in the country, still has yet to get a dubbed game here; and they also fail to give basic localized text for games like Pac-Man World Re-Pac, Klonoa, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, etc..

Heck, Disney games, most baffling to me.. you get the super text heavy Dreamlight Valley that has no PT-BR option at all; neither does Illusion Island, which was made for a very young demographic.. but Disney Speedstorm for some reason does (different publishers in this case, but still).

-- So while I just said that I want it to be all games like everyone else, I don't get that surprised at how Nintendo are slowly getting their titles translated, when it's barely a widespread thing for all games for other publishers too. It just sticks out because they are a platform holder, and are often compared to Sony and Microsoft (which also release fewer games in a year).

Last edited:
Being completely fair, it's an issue with every Japanese company, not just Nintendo; Bandai NAMCO, Capcom and Square Enix all have their discrepancy when comes to what they decide to localize or not..

Final Fantasy 16, VII Remake and VII Rebirth? sure, Brazilian Portuguese text.. Crisis Core Reunion, Dragon Quest Monsters, Octopath Traveller II? not even that;

Resident Evil Village can get a Brazilian Portuguese dub, Monster Hunter Rise and Street Fighter 6 gets translated text... Mega Man 11 and all the Legacy Collections, Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick and Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection, nope, not even menus.

Bandai NAMCO goes their way to bring the anime cast to dub Naruto games here, meanwhile, Dragon Ball which has such a big following in the country, still has yet to get a dubbed game here; and they also fail to give basic localized text for games like Pac-Man World Re-Pac, Klonoa, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, etc..

Heck, Disney games, most baffling to me.. you get the super text heavy Dreamlight Valley that has no PT-BR option at all; neither does Illusion Island, which was made for a very young demographic.. but Disney Speedstorm for some reason does (different publishers in this case, but still).

-- So while I just said that I want it to be all games like everyone else, I don't get that surprised at how Nintendo are slowly getting their titles translated, when it's barely a widespread thing for all games for other publishers too. It just sticks out because they are a platform holder, and are often compared to Sony and Microsoft (which also release fewer games in a year).
your post makes a lot of sense, the only difference is that Nintendo is a platform holder and if you add up the size of all these companies you mentioned, Nintendo is bigger than the result of that sum.

but I get what you said, it's more a cultural thing and how often Japanese companies can be more closed-minded in that regard.

Also worth noting, as @FXSoccer14 said, Brazil is home to the largest Japanese population outside Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians

your post makes a lot of sense, the only difference is that Nintendo is a platform holder and if you add up the size of all these companies you mentioned, Nintendo is bigger than the result of that sum.

but I get what you said, it's more a cultural thing and how often Japanese companies can be more closed-minded in that regard.

Also worth noting, as @FXSoccer14 said, Brazil is home to the largest Japanese population outside Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Brazilians
Sony and Microsoft release like 4 to 3 games a year? I had to check on Wikipedia and apparently Sony published whopping 2 brand new games last year (Spider-Man 2 and MLB The Show 24).. of course, no one would even question or wonder if those would get translated or not, but Nintendo last year had 15 games, 4 of them localized for our market (Return to Dreamland DX, Pikmin 4, F-Zero 99 and Mario Wonder), I think their efforts are at least apparent, and again, I get the frustration.

But personally, with the amount of games Nintendo puts out a year, I don't think realistically we are ever getting every single one of them localized, because that's not a thing for any company that publishes so many games in that period. Best case scenario is a 3 out of 5 of them, a tad more than a 50% split, and most crucially, the big name franchises like Zelda gets priority.

These decisions, like happens with the other publishers, has to be made based in some data of audience and what is worth getting a translation done. The other publishers may be smaller in comparison, but they are not also Indie either, so money is never a concern for any of them.

EDIT: LMAO, I just went to see MLB The Show 24 page on the PS Store and it's NOT localized in Brazilian Portuguese...

c'mon now, that's just dumb

Last edited:
There is a clear line when Nintendo "flipped" to start localizing games.

But older games don't get patches retroactively, like South Korea got for AC:NH. I think this is mainly due to the low official userbase (we can say it's mainly Nintendo's fault but the fact remains).

Pikmin 4 and Mario Wonder were huge wins. Switch Sports, Kirby RtDL Deluxe and Peach Showtime are great.

My 9yo goddaughter is playing Peach now and is enjoying a lot. It's important specially for the kids.

IMO, the next Animal Crossing getting brazilian portuguese would be the biggest win for the market in Brazil. At the same time, it is probably the hardest game to localize.

Back
Top Bottom