• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Announces Plans for Official Store in San Francisco

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight
Nintendo of America today announced plans to open an official store in San Francisco’s iconic Union Square, providing a way for a wide range of visitors from near and far to experience the world of Nintendo, its products, and characters.

The store, called Nintendo SAN FRANCISCO, will open in 2025 as the second official location in the US, joining the store in New York City.

Please stay tuned for more information as the new store opening approaches.

you know what that means? TWO Nintendo Direct store reaction videos!

Good to see Nintendo opening more retail locations. I wish they opened more, akin to Apple Stores, so customers can get the hands on experience and also service directly from Nintendo.

while other companies are pulling out of the retail space (especially in the bay area), nintendo does this.

random as hell, but sure!
I think the rent is probably a lot lower than it would have been 4-5 years ago. They were smart in waiting. This will bring a lot of foot traffic to the area and hopefully revitalizes it.

Still waiting for a My Nintendo Store in Latin America or at the very least shipping from the States. Thank you.

I hope Nintendo keeps opening more stores worldwide. I am still surprised there is no Nintendo Paris, since France is Japan 2.0.

I will be the first one there right when it opens. I definitely want to support this initiative to open up their official store.

while other companies are pulling out of the retail space (especially in the bay area), nintendo does this.

random as hell, but sure!
Nintendo does sell more than just video games, so they do benefit from the retail space if only as glorified advertisement.

That's pretty cool! We'll never be this cool in the southeast to get a Nintendo store 😂😅
There is a Nintendo specific store opening in Universal Orlando alongside the SNW gift shop opening in Epic Universe. Maybe it'll be an official SE location.

While West Coast makes sense, I'm a little surprised at the location given they closed their NorCal office a few years ago and I thought real estate was even more absurd than normal in that area. Glad to see a new store pop up in the States though since the NY store is super cool. Now if there was a more convenient midwest location (cough Chicago) I would be more excited

Wish I had a local Nintendo Store. They could name it after the location as always, so it'd be Nintendo THE LITTLE COPSE BEHIND MISTERSPO'S HOUSE.

Exciting!! I've been to the one in NYC a few times. Cool atmosphere, but seems a little dated. I've always wanted some employee swag.

I really feel like they could put these things in all four corners of the US and in the middle easily. I’ve visited the NY store every year, it’s a cool store to check out.

opening it there is definitively interesting. Hope they have good secruity though because hasn't there been alot of shoplifitng in that area?

Holy shit, amazing news! I'll visit there every single week! Better have those Kirby hoodies and mugs ready, Nintendo!

Also I'm gonna show this news to my old friends who used to brag about Seattle's Pokémon vending machines back then.

My guess is perhaps Nintendo feels SoCal is covered with Super Nintendo World and they went with a NorCal location as their second US location.

Well. I’m closer to that than New York, cause I’m in Southern California lol.

But still too lazy
I just drove to LA and back. Not wanting to make the trek in/out of the area is not laziness, it's self-preservation.

I'm in LA, and would've expected a California store to open here instead, but I guess we already have Super Nintendo World.

A west coast store nice. Maybe one day I'll take a trip to NY and visit the store when I'm there.

Hopefully we get one in SoCal eventually! I’ll take either LA or San Diego.

I’m so thankful to live in New York, because not having a Nintendo store near me would be absolutely painful. It’s a must visit for any Nintendo fan, and here’s hoping that the stores continue to spread out

I'm in LA, and would've expected a California store to open here instead, but I guess we already have Super Nintendo World.
I suspect the reason San Francisco was chosen is because it's a major travel thoroughfare for tourists. Between New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, Nintendo has pretty much all the major US coastal/tourist hubs covered.

The SF Bay area is like the 5th most populous region in the US, has a lot of high income residents, and is a major tourist destination that is geographically in the middle of the major west coast cities. It's not like Nintendo just randomly picked a city on a map.

As much as we'd like to think of these stores as something for the everyday Nintendo fan, they really are tourist destinations. They're usually in areas with lots of foot traffic and the rent at these places tend to be really high. That means they need a high volume of people that will spend money. You could argue that LA may make a better location but after that, SF is the next best option.

I suspect the reason San Francisco was chosen is because it's a major travel thoroughfare for tourists. Between New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, Nintendo has pretty much all the major US coastal/tourist hubs covered.
need one in Atlanta, home of the busiest airport in the world

The SF Bay area is like the 5th most populous region in the US, has a lot of high income residents, and is a major tourist destination that is geographically in the middle of the major west coast cities. It's not like Nintendo just randomly picked a city on a map.

As much as we'd like to think of these stores as something for the everyday Nintendo fan, they really are tourist destinations. They're usually in areas with lots of foot traffic and the rent at these places tend to be really high. That means they need a high volume of people that will spend money. You could argue that LA may make a better location but after that, SF is the next best option.
Yeah like I'd prefer a Seattle location (since I'm trying to leave California for the PNW) but what you say is why I'm not surprised about their second store being in San Fran. Union Square especially.

need one in Atlanta, home of the busiest airport in the world
Nintendo Duty Free Store

Did you hear that Nintendo? Listen to this guy! In Europe there are also plenty of walkable cities with a lot of foot traffic. Please open a store over here too!

(just not in Paris or London, but this goes without saying)

Back
Top Bottom