• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News "Nine Sols" announced, metroidvania game inspired by Hollow Knight and Sekiro (UPDATE: release date trailer, coming May 29th)

RenHojo23

Octorok

From the makers of Detention and Devotion (2 horror games about Taiwan's history and culture), Nine Sols is a journey of Asian fantasy inspired by Sekiro, Hollow Knight and Katana Zero.

It's coming to PC (Steam) as well as Nintendo and Playstation platforms (they don't know if Switch will still be around when this releases, but stated they have a Switch dev kits already). The release date is scheduled for Q2 2023, the game has already been in development for 2 years.

"Nine Sols is a lore-rich, hand-drawn 2D action platformer featuring intense deflection-focused combat, immersive storytelling, and a unique Taopunk setting.
Explore the land once home to an ancient alien race, and follow a vengeful hero’s quest to slay the 9 Sols, formidable rulers of this forsaken realm.
  • Build a stylish Taopunk world that blends cyberpunk/sci-fi elements with Taoism and Far Eastern mythology.
  • Recreate the deflection focused Sekiro combat experience in 2D and meld it with classic side-scrolling exploration.
  • Incorporate anime/manga-influenced, hand-crafted art and dark electronic sound mixed with Eastern instruments.
Story

“Become one with the Tao…”

New Kunlun, the Solarian’s last sanctuary, has remained quiet for centuries. Inside this vast realm, the ancient gods bequeathed mortals with a promised land that is forever protected by a set of sacred rituals. Yet the truth of this world remains unknown to most. Everything changes when Yi, a long forgotten hero from the past, is awoken by a human child.

During the course of the game, you will follow Yi on his vengeful quest against the 9 Sols, formidable rulers of this forsaken realm, and obliterate any obstacles in your way using Sekiro-lite style combat. Explore a dark fantasy world where every path is fraught with danger, and unravel the mysteries of an ancient alien race as you learn about the fate of mankind.

Combat Mechanics

For the past two years, we’ve spent considerable time and effort testing and modifying our core combat mechanics. Not only should the controls feel smooth and responsive, but countless other elements must be considered when coming up with a fun, innovative, and user-friendly combat system.

As such, we have designed our fights with an emphasis on close-range encounters and the use of deflection and charging attacks. However, the traditional side-scrolling action controls remain unchanged, so you are free to use moves like dash, double jump, and wall jump/climb in the same ways you’re familiar with.

Moveset

• Deflection – Yi’s most powerful skill. Deflecting an opponent’s attack not only allows you to avoid damage, but also to absorb and accumulate energy (Chi) with which to launch a stylish charging attack. Using quick reflexes and precise timing, you can escape numerous life-threatening situations with the simple press of a button.
  • Charging Attack and Chi Explosion – Having succeeded in deflecting an enemy’s attack, you can reverse or “deflect” the damage onto enemy targets by sticking a Chi-filled talisman known as a “Foo charm” onto an enemy body during a charging attack and blowing them up with a spell.
  • Slash Attack, Dash, and Double Jump – The classic action platformer controls are included in the game, so feel free to mix them up in combat situations.
  • Bow – To enable more variations in the main combat loop, we will add a long-range weapon to the available arsenal. Yi’s Godly Bow offers a powerful solution to any combat situation.
Enemies and Bosses

Monsters are designed to test a player’s skill to execute the correct move in the right moment. While it might be difficult at times, when players are used to the above tools and grasp the game’s core rhythm, the experience can be both satisfying and rewarding.

Ready yourself to fight an assortment of callous ancient guardians and gruesome creatures. Be patient, utilize every tool in your arsenal, and mix it up with Yi’s Godly Bow to defeat these larger-than-life figures.

The 9 Sols of New Kunlun is your ultimate challenge. Each boss has a different personality and unique fighting style, and it’s up to you to figure out the best way to defeat them.

A Taopunk World

Almost all facets of the game have undergone countless iterations, from the hand-drawn environments and sprite animations, to the world setting elements and narrative arcs. We had a clear goal of combining Taoism with cyberpunk, melding sci-fi elements with Eastern mythology, yet the actual process of doing so has been challenging. The product of this challenge is the New Kunlun, our depiction of a Taopunk world.

Different areas in the New Kunlun are mostly interconnected, while each region has its own architectural style and environment. Explore and discover hidden secrets/treasures and put your platforming skills to the test.

Music Sample

FGtWBM6XoAEbCPI

Well at least this one is slightly hiding the Souls reference in the title

Yeah the inspiration is very clear, but if their previous games are any indication what is this going to be (even tho completely different genres, those were horror games), the atmosphere is what stands out here.

Have been quietly following the lead up to this on the Red Candle Games server on Discord with great pride. I was taken back about how many people got involved in the ARG, and thrilled for them after watching the crowdfunding take off so quickly.

Hope these efforts allow them to build a more direct connection with their audience moving forward, as I feel like Nine Sols might be something of a breakthrough title for the studio as a whole. And on a slightly selfish level, I suspect I'll personally enjoy it more in terms of gameplay despite being a fan of Detention and Devotion respectively.

This bother me so much, it seriously triggers the compositor in me. The whole thing should be upside down and mirrored. So, lower body on the bottom-right of the poster, and the upper body still at the center of the composition but not upside-down anymore.

Game looks really cool!

This bother me so much, it seriously triggers the compositor in me. The whole thing should be upside down and mirrored. So, lower body on the bottom-right of the poster, and the upper body still at the center of the composition but not upside-down anymore.

Game looks really cool!

I think the artist was too proud of the upper half of the drawing and I would be too, that shit looks sick

These types of games all blend together but the animation is so good that I'm really considering it. Looking forward to seeing more.

I think the artist was too proud of the upper half of the drawing and I would be too, that shit looks sick

But nothing would be cut in “my” composition? It’d basically be an image flip.
Anyway, excited for the game!

Beat Detention on Switch, however I don’t think that Devotion is on it?

This looks amazing, I'm already sold. And I get what they're going for, but "Taopunk" is a very funny term.

But nothing would be cut in “my” composition? It’d basically be an image flip.
Anyway, excited for the game!

Beat Detention on Switch, however I don’t think that Devotion is on it?
Sadly, Devotion is not on Switch, no.

Brief note that a store page is live on Steam with a playable demo as part of their most recent updates, and they are rapidly approaching the 6M NT$ mark on their crowdfunding campaign.

Looks excellent! Super cool that they reached their funding goal so quickly. Can definitely see myself picking this up in the future. Loved Sekiro, thought Hollow Knight was okay. Only played a little of Katana Zero, and been meaning to go back to it.

Hollow Knight and Sekiro? Holy shit.

How the hell am I only hearing about this game now?

The good part is that it's almost coming out.

oh my god!!!!!!

They're both hand-drawn Metroidvania games with heavy East Asian folklore influence, so it's a fair mistake. I only bothered to double-check your post because I remembered watching the same trailer back in February, and the name didn't sound right. Nine Sols looks cool too, though, so hopefully that one gets its console release date soon.

Oh..yeah.
Nine sols, knew both, want both.
Bo is definitely more 'hollow knight' and platforming while nine sols has the taopunk aesthetic and seems more battle focused.
But booth look georgeus and fun, so...yay.
Hobe nine sols comes to switch to.

Oh it is! Great! Then I have 2 games till summer :)

Back
Top Bottom