• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News New Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi game announced

Yep! If Piccolo didn't blow it up, I'd say I was over the moon~!

These games may not have been the most indepth combat games ever, but between all the sheer content in the form of having such a loaded roster of chars and some fun what if stories, they were great party games.

Hoping that we get a Spike Chunsoft who is about doing it up and Bamco doesn't Bamco~

yeah-boy-yes.gif

Very excited about this. But also worried they're gonna mess it up somehow >_>

Can't stand anime arena fighters!

Budokai Tenkaichi 4 gets announced

Me and the besties!

Yep! If Piccolo didn't blow it up, I'd say I was over the moon~!

These games may not have been the most indepth combat games ever, but between all the sheer content in the form of having such a loaded roster of chars and some fun what if stories, they were great party games.

Hoping that we get a Spike Chunsoft who is about doing it up and Bamco doesn't Bamco~

God imagine if the PC version has mod support

God imagine if the PC version has mod support
More than likely, just like with Jump Force, Spike Chunsoft will use Unreal.

If so, the only way they could make it easier is publishing the game's source code online.

theoretically I'm excited for this... tenkaichi 3 used to be my favorite DBZ game ever before Kakarot came out. But, idk, I find it hard to get excited for teensy teasers. Though, I do think bamco usually only teases stuff a year or two out from a proper announcement/marketing cycle.

In any case, instant day 1 buy for me lol

Probably not on switch though because bamco...
Let's be honest, though.

By the time this game drops (likely in 2024), I'd be surprised if it was aiming for release on any last gen hardware, let alone Switch. In which case, you might as well be hoping it arrives on the Switch's successor.

I've been itching for a Dragon Ball game for quite a bit. Kakarot wasn't what I was looking for. I was also more of a Budokai than Budokai Tenkaichi guy but I'll take this any day of the week lmao.

Oh man, I'd be all over for this. But... In the current era of DLC and mtx I worry they're gonna destroy it with monetization. They'll probably take the Xenoverse route and make you pay for a huge chunk of the roster.

Let's be honest, though.

By the time this game drops (likely in 2024), I'd be surprised if it was aiming for release on any last gen hardware, let alone Switch. In which case, you might as well be hoping it arrives on the Switch's successor.

Ho by this time the cycle will have began again : " switch 2 wasn't out when the game development started" lol

They just released a turn based one piece rpg on everything but switch, I don't expect anything from bamco, at least regarding day 1 release.

I would like to be wrong though !

Probably not on switch though because bamco...
Every Dragon Ball game released since 2016 (Xenoverse 2, FighterZ, Kakarot, The Breakers) is available on Switch, and one of them (Dragon Ball Heroes) is even a console exclusive, so I'd argue that Bandai Namco knows exactly where the market for Dragon Ball games is.

Holy fucking shit.

A Budokai Tenkaichi sequel as I live and breathe. I genuinely thought the ship had sailed with Xenoverse and all.

BT2 basically got me into Dragon Ball. BT3 was even better - I remember using the Wiimote to pull of a Kamehameha!

It's the ultimate Dragon Ball experience. Yeah, the gameplay probably isn't anything special - but it's a Dragon Ball toybox where you can brat up Kid Buu with a Saibaman.

SSJ4 Goku being in the throwback part of the trailer gives me hope that they're aware of that appeal. Obviously it's gonna be ripe for DLC, but so long as they manage to really nail that fanfic feel, I don't think people will be too worried.

Just hope that the base roster is expansive. I figure the essentials of Z, GT and Super will be covered at the least.

I'M SO EXCITED.

Definitely don't think this'll be hitting the current Switch in any way. Looking forward to it, conditionally* at least.

* I hope they don't think people cared about Budokai Tenkaichi for the gameplay lol; everything depends on how expansive the roster is. The Tournament of Power was made to provide roster filler for a game like this, so I hope they don't squander that potential.

Recent console Dragon Ball games have also mostly avoided original DB characters, so I hope they don't hold back here when Budokai Tenkaichi 3 remains the game with the largest selection of OG DB characters. Kid Goku, Arale, Taopaipai, Piccolo Daimao and 23rd Budokai Chi-Chi should be the bare minimum (all of these but Arale are in one of the active DB mobile games, DB Legends). Extra points for digging ever deeper; BT3 also had the Pilaf Gang, Nam, Hatchan, Blue, Devilman, Grandpa Gohan and Tambourine; and the afformentioned Legends also has Launch and Pilaf Saga Bulma as joke characters.

Definitely don't think this'll be hitting the current Switch in any way. Looking forward to it, conditionally* at least.

* I hope they don't think people cared about Budokai Tenkaichi for the gameplay lol; everything depends on how expansive the roster is. The Tournament of Power was made to provide roster filler for a game like this, so I hope they don't squander that potential.

Recent console Dragon Ball games have also mostly avoided original DB characters, so I hope they don't hold back here when Budokai Tenkaichi 3 remains the game with the largest selection of OG DB characters. Kid Goku, Arale, Taopaipai, Piccolo Daimao and 23rd Budokai Chi-Chi should be the bare minimum (all of these but Arale are in one of the active DB mobile games, DB Legends). Extra points for digging ever deeper; BT3 also had the Pilaf Gang, Nam, Hatchan, Blue, Devilman, Grandpa Gohan and Tambourine; and the afformentioned Legends also has Launch and Pilaf Saga Bulma as joke characters.

this is the perfect Switch 2 game: anime-based game coming 6 months after the initial release

Every Dragon Ball game released since 2016 (Xenoverse 2, FighterZ, Kakarot, The Breakers) is available on Switch, and one of them (Dragon Ball Heroes) is even a console exclusive, so I'd argue that Bandai Namco knows exactly where the market for Dragon Ball games is.
Yes the chance of this on Nintendo is pretty high I’d say.

Tenkaichi with modern tech is very exciting.

Can you imagine how many Gokus they could put in this one???

Real talk - expecting this to have a base roster the size of BT3 is probably not realistic.

BT3 was able to carry over all the models and stages from the previous games, and said models weren't as detailed due to the era.

The Goku model in the trailer is naturally of a much higher quality than anything BT3 could manage, and presumably has been built from scratch. Having that for 150+ characters is probably not feasible for a base roster, regardless of how much cloning and reuse is used.

Ho by this time the cycle will have began again : " switch 2 wasn't out when the game development started" lol

They just released a turn based one piece rpg on everything but switch, I don't expect anything from bamco, at least regarding day 1 release.

I would like to be wrong though !
Yeah, realistically, a "late port" would still be better than nothing.

But especially if this uses UE4, as I suspect, then it becomes more feasible that the Switch's successor could handle it and it wouldn't be so much work to port it.

I actually do think that, quite honestly, the game will probably focus more on Super (anime and movies). Not only because the Goku/Blue model we've seen looks hella like Shintani's rendition from Super Broly, it just makes most sense to run through all of Super (Battle of Gods to Super Hero), and just have some legacy Z content like Raditz, Nappa, Z-Freeza, the Ginyus, Cell, Super/Kid Buu, Z-Broly, Z-Androids 17+18 and Z-Bardock because there's no reason to think that any of these characters would miss a new DB game of this sort (and in the case of 17 and 18, you can pad the roster with their "clones", too). Maybe GT might get some representation as part of the base roster, but it wouldn't surprise me if, much like classic DB, they may have to wait a bit longer.

But suffice to say, Bamco seems to be perfectly fine with letting these DB games get support for the long term, and a new Sparking game is the perfect model to ship out season passes that contain character/story packs released every few months. We may not get to that 200-300+ roster count out the box, but we'll probably be there in like 5 years.

If any game is going to have it so that I could have a team of Yamcha, Man-Wolf, the Trio de Danger vs. an all Oozaru Team that includes Z-Broly's Big Green Munky form from HEROES, it's likely going to be this game!

The only Bamco anime games that haven't hit the Switch are the One Punch Man game and a few poorly recieved One Piece games

This will come to the Switch 2, at the very least, assuming it isn't a huge failure like OPM

Maybe GT might get some representation as part of the base roster, but it wouldn't surprise me if, much like classic DB, they may have to wait a bit longer.

I'd be shocked if GT had nothing at launch considering they spotlighted SSJ4 Goku in the footage of the old games in the teaser. I'd be surprised if they launched without GT Goku, Vegeta, Gogeta and Pan, Baby Vegeta and Syn / Omega Shenron. Wouldn't be surprised if they then used the DLC to fill in the gaps with GT Trunks and Uub, Super 17 and the other Shadow Dragons.

If OG DB doesn't get anything at launch I wouldn't particularly be confident in it getting anything... ever. Xenoverse 2 has been recieving content for six years and despite sharing a developer and assets with DB Legends, which does have a handful of OG DB characters, Xenoverse 2 still has zero in that roster. FighterZ also ignored it entirely outside of giving GT Goku some OG Goku kit, so it is difficult to view it as anything but intentional avoidance.

The DLC model doesn't particularly interest me if it'll be used to dripfeed canon content that the older BT games already covered. Adding the Moro and Granolah Saga characters and forms when those stories start getting adapted in anime form in 2024? Even some of the more expendable Z movie characters like Garlic Jr. or Android 13-15; I could accept waiting on. It'd be abysmal to have to wait on any relevant, canon DBZ character though when BT1 covered the majority of them from the outset (only Cui, King Cold, Future Gohan, Shin, Spopovich and Babidi had to wait for 2 and 3; and most of these are pretty irrelevant anyway). Same applies to the bare essentials for OG DB; Kid Goku and Taopaipai were in it from BT1, so it'd be disappointing for this new one to launch with neither.

I'd be shocked if GT had nothing at launch considering they spotlighted SSJ4 Goku in the footage of the old games in the teaser. I'd be surprised if they launched without GT Goku, Vegeta, Gogeta and Pan, Baby Vegeta and Syn / Omega Shenron. Wouldn't be surprised if they then used the DLC to fill in the gaps with GT Trunks and Uub, Super 17 and the other Shadow Dragons.

If OG DB doesn't get anything at launch I wouldn't particularly be confident in it getting anything... ever. Xenoverse 2 has been recieving content for six years and despite sharing a developer and assets with DB Legends, which does have a handful of OG DB characters, Xenoverse 2 still has zero in that roster. FighterZ also ignored it entirely outside of giving GT Goku some OG Goku kit, so it is difficult to view it as anything but intentional avoidance.

The DLC model doesn't particularly interest me if it'll be used to dripfeed canon content that the older BT games already covered. Adding the Moro and Granolah Saga characters and forms when those stories start getting adapted in anime form in 2024? Even some of the more expendable Z movie characters like Garlic Jr. or Android 13-15; I could accept waiting on. It'd be abysmal to have to wait on any relevant, canon DBZ character though when BT1 covered the majority of them from the outset (only Cui, King Cold, Future Gohan, Shin, Spopovich and Babidi had to wait for 2 and 3; and most of these are pretty irrelevant anyway). Same applies to the bare essentials for OG DB; Kid Goku and Taopaipai were in it from BT1, so it'd be disappointing for this new one to launch with neither.
Yeah, in the end, time will tell. Perhaps we're fretting over nothing. But much like stated by another above, I think it is important to have some tempered expectations for a new game that's being made from the ground up. And catching back up to where BT3/Sparking Meteor left off, then surpassing it, will definitely take some time.

If this game launched with BT1's 60 count (and 90 transformations, if we count those), that'd already would be a good sign. It just wouldn't leave a lot of wiggle room, before DLC, for a lot of chars. So, that's why I'm trying to be reasonable, even if the giddy, college-aged me is coming back out and wants all the content the game can squeeze in before having its hand out for my DLC dollars.

But if nothing else, I'd say that this game will definitely be a good gauge to see where Spike's priorities lie now (with perhaps some oversight from the "Dragon Room" to dictate the game's overall focus).

Last edited:
Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was my most played Wii game lol even more than brawl ( sad coming from melee :[ )

Cannot wait for arcady goodness

image.png

It grants some confidence knowing that they at least recognise the massive rosters as the big appeal. They know people will be comparing this one to the predecessors (they are making the comparison themselves!) so I am hopeful that they will not let people down.

Wasn't expecting this, I was sorta hoping for Xenoverse 3 but I guess they'll just sell DLC packs for 2 until the end of time.

Not that I'm disappointed though! BT is hype.

Back
Top Bottom