• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Netflix is officially testing cloud game streaming in the UK and Canada

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
GamesonMoreDevices.png

two titles are currently available, the indispensable (and Netflix-owned, as they previously bought the developer) Oxenfree and "Molehew’s Mining Adventure", which seems like a test game similar to the Snake clone used for Google Stadia. (they did trademark it back in April though, interestingly enough.)

control options are currently limited to using a smartphone app, easily the worst possible option. though reportedly you can at least use a mouse & keyboard if you're running Netflix on your PC.

I have fairly good internet but have zero interest in this.

I think it will not fail like Google's Stadia service in the sense it likely won't fold in a few years, but it won't catch on either.
Streaming is a solution in search of a problem.

Until we get ubiquitous fast wireless internet that just 'works' streaming is a huge PITA and is already extremely limited in terms of who can access it.

control options are currently limited to using a smartphone app, easily the worst possible option. though reportedly you can at least use a mouse & keyboard if you're running Netflix on your PC.
Wait, so even if you play Netflix on one of the consoles, you can still only play with your smartphone as a controller? Despite...having a literal controller in hand?

Wait, so even if you play Netflix on one of the consoles, you can still only play with your smartphone as a controller? Despite...having a literal controller in hand?
The streaming is not available on consoles yet (and likely will not be).

They did it.

The madmen brought back the oversized green A button from the GameCube controller.

GameCube controller redeemed!

I'm not sure the internet connection across the UK can handle cloud gaming at this moment. I think if it was (and this accounts for most markets actually), then we'd be seeing Amazon going much, much harder with it via Prime.

Well, maybe web streaming will be how I eventually play Oxenfree II as neither my older iPad Pro nor my newer Android phone are compatible.

Well, maybe web streaming will be how I eventually play Oxenfree II as neither my older iPad Pro nor my newer Android phone are compatible.
Play store says my phone is incompatible too but given I'm running latest android on a high end processor released only two years ago I figured that was bullshit so I downloaded and installed the APK and have had no problems at all including working with my Netflix account.

Back
Top Bottom