• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Need help getting a Steam Deck!

BurnsAMS

Rattata
Pronouns
He
Hello my friends!

So I have a little predictament.
Lately, I have been eyeing the Deck. All those games sitting there on my library, plus the possibilities of emulation have sent me over the edge. But here lies the problem: I live in Brazil. I don’t think valve will ever release the handheld here. So my only option is to import.
I tried ebay. Got a 512 gb for 988 USS, including tax and shipping to Florida, where a cousin of mine lives.
When I was about to pay for it, in the peak of my FOMO it hit me. That is equivalent to 5500 reais. Should I really spend all this extra money for it? What if a good US soul could help me get one for the MSRP or a little more?
My cousin can’t help me. She does not know how to create accounts and whatnot. She can however receive the package for me, and when I go visit next April I can get it from her.
So if anyone can help me, I would ask for ordering a 512gb and of course I would pay with my credit card. No investiment other than time from your end!
It’s hard being a gaming enthusiast here!

I`m in the same boat as you, I do not live in a country where steam deck is sold.

The appeal point of Steam Deck is the price, It will be a 14 month old product come April, that is ages in the portable comp industry.
Would not be surprised if they are readibly purchasable by April.

If you are going to pay as much as $1000 for it:
I would recommend actually looking at next years Aya Neo line, or the Odin line of products.

Towards the start of next year, products that are better than the deck are scheduled to appear (OLED, similar or cheaper price to a deck with a weaker processor, Products with Processor on Par to a steam deck, etc)

If you are only planning on playing indies / last gen games and want a device now:
Even something like an Aya Neo Air (ships worldwide Aug) is an OLED 1080 screen for only $500.

Last edited:
I'm getting mine in October of this year or by that point so that's neat.

Yeah I'd have bought a Playdate and a Steam Deck if they were available, I think I'll just get over the FOMO xD

I'm considering alternative brands and I'm curious about the upcoming AYN Loki line when it comes to cost-benefit. But I may just get a lower end Windows device, I intend to use it for itch.io and Game Jolt

Damn. I canceeled my pre-order last thrusday when I got the email that my spot was ready. I would have given one of you my place :(

Damn. I canceeled my pre-order last thrusday when I got the email that my spot was ready. I would have given one of you my place :(
That’s fine, you had no way of knowing. May I ask why you canceled yours?
Yeah I'd have bought a Playdate and a Steam Deck if they were available, I think I'll just get over the FOMO xD

I'm considering alternative brands and I'm curious about the upcoming AYN Loki line when it comes to cost-benefit. But I may just get a lower end Windows device, I intend to use it for itch.io and Game Jolt
I managed to get a playdate! But valve made sure the steam deck can’t be sold to everyone.
I`m in the same boat as you, I do not live in a country where steam deck is sold.

The appeal point of Steam Deck is the price, It will be a 14 month old product come April, that is ages in the portable comp industry.
Would not be surprised if they are readibly purchasable by April.

If you are going to pay as much as $1000 for it:
I would recommend actually looking at next years Aya Neo line, or the Odin line of products.

Towards the start of next year, products that are better than the deck are scheduled to appear (OLED, similar or cheaper price to a deck with a weaker processor, Products with Processor on Par to a steam deck, etc)

If you are only planning on playing indies / last gen games and want a device now:
Even something like an Aya Neo Air (ships worldwide Aug) is an OLED 1080 screen for only $500.
Thanks for the reply! When the deck was unveiled I always saw it as something good that would eventually become great in a second version. I will keep my eye on the ones you told me about too.

That’s fine, you had no way of knowing. May I ask why you canceled yours?

I managed to get a playdate! But valve made sure the steam deck can’t be sold to everyone.

Thanks for the reply! When the deck was unveiled I always saw it as something good that would eventually become great in a second version. I will keep my eye on the ones you told me about too.

Honestly, at the end of the day, it's a PC, and after ten years of playing MMO's (WoW/FF14), I got tired of constantly tweaking to get something to run right or a way that I wanted to, and the other things that annoy me about PC gaming.

Second reason, is the price. It's expensive at 500 bucks. The low end model is 400, but with no SSD and low internal storage, I found the value proposition not worth it on that one either. My main reason for getting one was to play third party AAA games that do not release on Switch cause they cannot handle it or for ones that will never ever release on Switch (Sony and MS titles), but then comes the problem of how much storage they take up and the very poor battery life of said titles. And I was not going to get it for indie games that usually release on Switch anyway. Since I am primarily a handheld player across various systems, battery life is more important to me than others.

Third reason, my 3DS, Vita, and Wii U are all hacked and have Sega CD, SNES, GBA, PS1, PSP emulation machines. And I have a Pocket pre-ordered. So 500 to do what I did to all those systems seemed silly to me.

Final reason, my backlog on my Switch and PS4 is already so big, that it just did not make sense for me to spend 500.

It's a cool device and would actually like one for sure. But I will wait until their second future revised model to see if it is smaller and at a better price point. If the mid tier model (the one I pre-ordered) was 399.99, I would have maybe kept my pre-order.

Back
Top Bottom