• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

TV NBCUniversal ends Hulu content sharing deal.

E

Emily

Via The Hollywood Reporter:
NBCUniversal has terminated its content sharing deal with Hulu as the company redirects its shows to rival streaming service Peacock, an NBCU spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter.

Starting this fall, new episodes of NBCU shows like Saturday Night Live, The Voice and American Auto will no longer be available to stream on Hulu the next day after they air. It's not immediately clear what other shows will be removed from Hulu.

The end of NBCU and Hulu's partnership comes as NBCU and parent company Comcast have sought to increase the number of paying subscribers to its struggling Peacock service. At the end of 2021, the service had 9 million paying subscribers out of a total of 24.5 million monthly active accounts.
The Wall Street Journal first reported in February that the content deal was nearing its end.

Peacock has shared much of NBCU's catalog with Hulu since it launched the streaming service in 2020. By pulling that content back, the shows will become exclusive to Peacock, potentially making Hulu less valuable to some subscribers and Peacock a more desirable option for others.

I'm really, really, really not enjoying the further compartmentalization of the streaming market. 😩

Hulu was supposed to be a kind of joint service between NBC and Disney initially right? So yeah, in a world with Peacock and Disney+ it doesn’t feel like they have any reason to keep supporting it, except for maybe the more adult stuff Disney would want to keep off of Disney+.

Honestly, the way the smaller third parties have been constantly having their titles expire (with some of them renewing, many not), I get the sense Hulu isn't long for this world. With Disney finally adding a mature filter onto their service, I feel like Disney is going to sunset Hulu at some point. With NBC Universal finally pulling out, I can't help but feel it'll be sooner than later.

Hulu's propose becomes less necessary as everyone else continues to start their streaming services.

I'm really, really, really not enjoying the further compartmentalization of the streaming market. 😩
Personally, I would like to see more consolidation with streaming services. Do consumers want to have 20+ streaming services to keep track of?

In my opinion, Hulu has no reason to exist anymore. Especially now that Disney is putting adult TV-MA content on Disney+ (Daredevil, The Punisher, Luke Cage). It begs the question: What purpose does Hulu serve?

To me, it's silly that I need Hulu to watch R-rated Marvel films like "Logan" or "Deadpool".
It's silly that I can watch The Simpsons on Disney+, but I need Hulu to watch Bob's Burgers or Futurama.

All of Hulu's content should move over to Disney+.

it's probable that the only reason hulu isn't completely dead is existing contracts tying content to the service for extended periods of time

hulu was handling the production of their own original content with outside studios like Warner that now have their own streaming services who are probably extremely hesitant to renegotiate those deals for disney plus

with that in mind it kind of makes sense for hulu to exist as D+'s satellite, since it keeps those existing negotiations until they dry up and they finally sunset the whole system

it's probable that the only reason hulu isn't completely dead is existing contracts tying content to the service for extended periods of time

hulu was handling the production of their own original content with outside studios like Warner that now have their own streaming services who are probably extremely hesitant to renegotiate those deals for disney plus

with that in mind it kind of makes sense for hulu to exist as D+'s satellite, since it keeps those existing negotiations until they dry up and they finally sunset the whole system

Yup, you're 100% correct.

In a few years, Comcast (NBC) will have the option to sell their 33% stake in Hulu to Disney.

Once Comcast sells their stake, Disney will become the exclusive owners. Then Disney will have more flexibility to move content from Hulu over to Disney+.

Personally, I would like to see more consolidation with streaming services. Do consumers want to have 20+ streaming services to keep track of?

In my opinion, Hulu has no reason to exist anymore. Especially now that Disney is putting adult TV-MA content on Disney+ (Daredevil, The Punisher, Luke Cage). It begs the question: What purpose does Hulu serve?

To me, it's silly that I need Hulu to watch R-rated Marvel films like "Logan" or "Deadpool".
It's silly that I can watch The Simpsons on Disney+, but I need Hulu to watch Bob's Burgers or Futurama.

Consolidation would be great, but it's literally the opposite direction they're moving in. I liked it back when I had Netflix, Hulu, and Prime, and I basically had access to everything. And most things that weren't free as part of a streaming subscription could be rented or purchased through Prime. Now there are SO many different services, everything has become so fragmented, that I'd have to pay as much as cable costs in order to have access. I'd LOVE for them to go back to a consolidated market, but this compartmentalized one seems to be what all the media companies want. 🤷‍♂️

As far as Hulu, I actually watch that more than any other service. There's a lot more/better content on Hulu than people tend to give it credit for, so Disney+ absorbing it would either be, like, a really big library to absorb, or Hulu would lose a lot of stuff as Disney+ only takes the larger-profile movies and series. Not too sure how I'd feel about either option, even though I agree in general that consolidation would be ideal.

I wonder if this gambit would work. Getting more of their own content onto Peacock surely should appeal to people, but is it enough to get people to pay?

For example, while I think most of the other streaming services are better, the free service of Peacock is the streaming service I'm using the most, if only because of one show - Columbo. But I'm not paying for it, and I don't know if they'll get me to pay for one service over another.

Wait, shit, I was gonna start watching Hannibal on Hulu. Don't tell me I have to subscribe to Peacock for it now.

Looks like it probably won't be for a few months at least.

We never had Hulu in the UK but the Hulu and Fox shows are on Disney+ here in a section called Star

Hulu is such an odd one, I love it for older TV but now so much of that content is on Peacock or HBO Max.

We never had Hulu in the UK but the Hulu and Fox shows are on Disney+ here in a section called Star

Worth noting Hulu did try to expand internationally but ran into licensing and regulatory issues. It was originally going to launch in UK/Ireland and Canada. They managed to launch in Japan with no issues, though they're now owned by Nippon Television, with minor stakes still owned by other Japanese parties.

Makes even more sense to sunset Hulu and just go forward with expanding Disney+ since Disney+ is available in most markets and Hulu is US-only. Makes no sense to have a separate app for American users for content that Disney just includes in D+ outside of the US.

Huge bummer as more and more streaming services pop up. Honestly really want most of them to fail so I can go back to having everything included in my 2-3 subs instead of missing out on stuff. Sorry Comcast but if your content drops off of Hulu I’m not going to be a new Peacock subscriber, I’m just going to stop engaging with your content.

Yeah very clear Star has been doing well internationally and hasnt lead to any issues they might have been worried about with family content/mature content sitting alongside eachother... with Free with Ads Disney+ coming late this year in the US, I would expect that Hulu will be gone and fold into Disney+

Back
Top Bottom