• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Name a fantastic game. Ruin it with a stupid Wii U gimmick.

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Rules are simple: Let's pick a game that is awesome, well-designed and that you're really fond of, and come up with a way to ruin all the fun with a new mechanic or new mechanics revolving around the Wii U gamepad. Game doesn't have to be on the Wii U.

I'll start: Imagine Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or Smash 4. Instead of using the stick to use directional attacks, you must tilt the gamepad in said directions. Final smash attacks must be executed by screaming "SMAAASH" into the mic.

(PS: This is not a thread that exists as an excuse to have a go at the excellent Star Fox Zero)

Make a character action game with Pikmin micro management.

Have stupid mini-games that require you to look at the screen.

Rules are simple: Let's pick a game that is awesome, well-designed and that you're really fond of, and come up with a way to ruin all the fun with a new mechanic or new mechanics revolving around the Wii U gamepad. Game doesn't have to be on the Wii U.

I'll start: Imagine Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or Smash 4. Instead of using the stick to use directional attacks, you must tilt the gamepad in said directions. Final smash attacks must be executed by screaming "SMAAASH" into the mic.

(PS: This is not a thread that exists as an excuse to have a go at the excellent Star Fox Zero)
do a Metroid Prime that force you to use the Gamepad to use the scan visor, too bad move the Gamepad the environment/enemies

opinion: the wii u was good and botw was worse for having removed its gimmicks
opinion: this is straight facts

dual screen 4 life

edit: But to also answer the question: Rhythm Paradise but instead of pressing you have to tap an amiibo every beat

I gotta be honest I tried thinking of more normal gimmicks than amiibo tapping but all my ideas seemed cool to me lol
Maybe using the touch screen to roll in tropical freeze

Banjo-Kazooie but there's a scrolling background on the gamepad that occasionally has hidden collectibles in it you have to tap on when they come up in order to fully complete each level. If you miss one you have to wait for it to come back around again.

I somewhat agree with the first part and 1000% agree with the second. Those menus are cumbersome and having the map visible would change the whole feel for the better.

To add to the thread, F-Zero 99, but instead of pressing B to accelerate you have to blow into the mic.

There's not a day that goes by where I don't contemplate the feasibility of breaking into Nintendo's building and finding the latest build that had those features intact.

There's also not a day that goes by where I sigh and give up on it, but that's neither here nor there.

A reimagining of St-
ah, bummer

uh, a revival of Mysterious Murasame Castle where you control Takamaru’s sword using the touch screen.

Shantae but to transform you have to draw the animal you want on the touchscreen.
that sounds so cool, would make me buy another shantae game tbh
edit: holy shit oomoepoo that was at the exact same second on my end lol and I was also thinking scribblenauts!!

Stardew Valley

You must put the gamepad on the ground and wave the wiimote over it to plant and pull out crops. Wave the nunchuck to water them.

Honestly, Wii U's second screen was so good that every time I try to make a joke I just remember actual Wii U and think of how good would it be for certain games.
La-Mulana port that would let you browse through saved hints? Baba Is You but with rules clearly written out as if you're looking at a pause menu?

I hated my Wii U for about a year at launch for collecting dust, but the actual gimmick is possibly the best "weird Nintendo feature" they've made.

How about a Kirby game where you need to use Amiibo in order to use copy abilities? You need these abilities to solve puzzles to make progress. Don't have enough amiibo or the right amiibo? Sorry, better go to the store, loser!
Shantae but to transform you have to draw the animal you want on the touchscreen.
So Wario: Master of Disguise on DS?

Mario Kart 8 but you have to swipe the touch screen to get the rocket start

...wait that's not a WiiU game

617hO7ypbTL.jpg

Eh. I love second screens when they're both in front of me like the DS. Didn't really do it for me to have one stuck to a controller I'm craning my neck to look at for meaningful usage. Would rather have faster single screen UX like Tears's radial menu. I'd even prefer a touchpad so I can keep my eyes on the screen.

holy shit that would've been their skylanders
I always wanted an amiibo game
I probably wouldn't play it because I'm not a collector, but if Nintendo ever wanted to leverage an existing IP for a toys-to-life amiibo game, Kirby would be it.

holy shit that would've been their skylanders
I always wanted an amiibo game
I probably wouldn't play it because I'm not a collector, but if Nintendo ever wanted to leverage an existing IP for a toys-to-life amiibo game, Kirby would be it.
Why are you guys talking about hypothetical toys to life games from Nintendo in the WiiU era using existing IPs as if they didn't try like 4 different times and they were all poorly received.
Pokemon Rumble U was the entire reason the feature existed for YEARS, then there was amiibo tap, and Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, and Mini Mario & Friends amiibo Challenge.

Why are you guys talking about hypothetical toys to life games from Nintendo in the WiiU era using existing IPs as if they didn't try like 4 different times and they were all poorly received.
Pokemon Rumble U was the entire reason the feature existed for YEARS, then there was amiibo tap, and Animal Crossing amiibo Festival, and Mini Mario & Friends amiibo Challenge.
Because what I mean is the different characters appearing with unique levels and stuff. Basically nintendo land but MORE and not just party games

Because what I mean is the different characters appearing with unique levels and stuff. Basically nintendo land but MORE and not just party games
...so Mini Mario & Friends amiibo challenge. Each amiibo unlocked a character with levels built around their unique abilities, but a portion of the game was possible without that.

not a damn mini mario game, cmon man
about the same level of quality as other toys to life games honestly
DK and Bowser were in Skylanders though if that's more your thing
and then there was that Ubisoft space game that I forget the name of with Star Fox stuff
I don't think Nintendo actually wanted "their own Skylanders" in the WiiU era cause Skylanders was their biggest, consistent third party support on there.

An F-Zero game where the Gamepad displays your car's controls. Steering is done strictly through rotating the gamepad as a steering wheel.

Other exciting immersive features the Gamepad would enable:
  • The cars are now manual, requiring you to change gears between the 20 available, with touch buttons.
  • Your engine will overheat unless you keep an eye on the temperature levels to deploy cooling drones.
  • To recharge energy you need to remember to open your fuel ports when going over a recharge strip. Be careful, if you don't close them after leaving the strip, your car might randomly explode.
  • If you crash out, you need to lay down the Gamepad flat slowly on the floor and move away from it in a way the camera can track your face, to signify successfully exiting the now flaming car. If you don't pull it off correctly, you're completely dead and don't get any retries.

Tetris

You have to rotate the gamepad to rotate the Tetrominos. This becomes incredibly frustrating and nearly impossible when you get to high levels and the speed gets ridiculous.

Amazing Spiderman 2, but swinging and punching are controlled by swiping on the gamepad touchscreen in the desired direction.

My main issue with the gamepad is not that most games gave it bad uses, it's just that most games just didn't use it at all other than sligthly faster menus.

The Wii U table wasn't that bad lmao. Not very well thought through and a marketing dud, but there were more good examples than bad with how to implement it in games.

Anyhow, my bad game design idea; any platformer but you have to tap the screen to jump, and hold your finger down longer for higher jumps. All the other controls still use the traditional buttons/D-Pad/analog stick.

Remember the camera on the front of the gamepad? Loved its use in the F-Zero and Mario Chase game in Nintendoland. Loved how some people I knew would refuse to play it due to embarrassment. I was going to use it as my example for this thread applied to some random game but then I thought it wasn't a stupid gimmick at all. It's a really funny one. More games should use that gimmick. Just a constant stream of a really unflattering angle of your mug displayed on the TV while you are trying to focus on anything else. That's just good game design.

Actually, I'll suggest a game where this gimmick would improve it significantly. Trombone Champ. Then with your face on the screen it will superimpose a trombone over your mouth while you play. You're welcome everybody.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom