• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Name 3 things you would do to improve the eShop

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Nintendo’s online storefront is functional enough, but could in many ways be improved upon. If you were in charge of fancying it up a bit, whether it be in a technical, functional, asesthetical or any other way, which 3 measures would you undertake in order to improve upon what is currently existing?

I think my top 3 are:

Remove lag (#1 priority here)
Add music again (perhaps a jukebox?)
Easier ways to search genre / developer / publisher (Perhaps lists you can click through on each one?)

The eshop largely works ok for me, but that’s mainly since I flag / wishlist anything that looks interesting as its added. If I wasn’t there from launch and hadn’t approached it that way, I’d probably have stronger opinions on specific ways to overhaul it.

I use third party websites like Dekudeals for every console digital store because they allow me to hide games/DLC I'm not interested in which is the major thing I want but don't see the platform holders adding ever.

So it's really just better performance and music for me.

1.-3.: Allow me to block publishers from showing up so I don't need to see the 27th republishing of the same damn redDeerGames titles, or shovelware hentai puzzle titles clogging up the release pages

1. Lag
2. Buying multiple items at once
3. A simple rating system would be cool
4. Music
5. Game automatically gets removed from your wishlist when you buy it

Otherwise I'm cool with it. Lag is the number one reason I check Dekudeals as well.

I just want moving through every section not to take 5 hours. Also if you purchase a game in your wishlist, it should be removed from it automatically. Like, come on Nintendo, even a kid would know that.

As everyone else has echoed, fix the weird loading lag, and add music. I have the Wii Shop channel music browser extension installed, I know what I like.

1.-3.: Allow me to block publishers from showing up so I don't need to see the 27th republishing of the same damn redDeerGames titles, or shovelware hentai puzzle titles clogging up the release pages
This is the n. 1 feature I'd like added. Wanna allow all these people to publish their garbage? Ok, but give me the option to IGNORE them forever.

2. Let me gift games!

3. Let people rate games!

I just use Deku Deals, to be honest. So the main thing I want improved for the eshop is to lessen the lag. It's a slow-moving app in an otherwise sleek system.

Also if you purchase a game in your wishlist, it should be removed from it automatically
Also this. Pretty annoying to have to manually remove games, especially since the wishlist has a limit. Can we also get that limit removed?

Let me gift games!
I also want this.

Two major ones:

1. It's sinfully laggy - fix
2. It's definitely not made to have this many games on it, I'm sure they can improve many aspect in the discoverability and browsing experience. Some way to filter my view - there's a lot of garbage there.

And some other stuff in no order really

• I like the jukebox thing someone mentioned
  • Rating system
  • Since I love charts, I would like to be able to have more variables when using them
  • Wishlist improvements - autoremoval, easier access etc etc
  • Cart
  • It bugs me I cant see the prices of games I already bought, I want that.. for whatever reason
  • gifting because why not

1. Add Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
2. Add Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
3. Add Super Mario Galaxy 2

But seriously fix the lag. Also put more charts, like Top 30 selling per Category (family, rpg, action...), Top 30 pre-orders, Top 30 on sales / not on sale etc.

Discoverability: you need to be able to go in with zero expectations and find an absolute gem you've never heard of, like you could in the early days of Steam sales. I know no one likes it when companies pick winners and losers, but it's better when they do than have an unsorted mess.

Music: I don't think I need to explain further honestly?

Not sure if this is an eShop thing or a point system thing but while it's fine to have a rotating selection of icons etc to buy with platinum points, the selection available at any one time should be much larger and stuff should rotate back more often.

1. Make the design/layout closer to the Wii U EShop

2. Add optional music - including the option to use the Wii Shop Channel or Wii U/3DS EShop music

3. Better deal trackers and discoverability features

1: do something to improve the loading times
2: do something to improve the loading times
3: do something to improve the loading times

I guess some better ways to search it would be nice too

Without JIT in the Switch's web browser, any eShop incarnation that relies heavily on JavaScript will be slow...

A shopping cart and faster performance, mainly. Also a improved search/sorting function that makes it easier to find what I've previously bought for redownloads.

I wouldn't put music in even the top ten list of wanted improvements.

Tthe actual performance of the shop on the console is pretty bad. Nowadays I’d rather just purchase software from Nintendo‘s website through my phone than deal with the on-console eShop.

I could take or leave music.

A shopping cart would be very useful.

I’d LOVE the ability to gift games to my friends.

For me I think the biggest thing is curation. How many times will I see “AAA Hentai Clock - Ultra Premium Edition” on the New Releases tab??? It’s frankly ridiculous that company is allowed to do that. If I was Nintendo I’d ban them for that shit.

Another thing I’d like is better organization, and maybe a better recommendation algorithm or something? It’d be nice if the eShop was smart enough to understand that like, “hey, maybe this customer, who buys a lot of retro re-releases like the S-Tribute series and Arcade Archives series might want to know about the newest EGGCONSOLE release.”

As it stands right now you’ve got: 1) Featured (aka who Nintendo have promotional marketing deals with) 2) New Releases (all games sorted by newest first) 3) Great Deals (just a best seller list for games on sale) 4) actual Best Sellers. None of those are overly useful to me. Maybe a “recommended for you” tab would be nice. Like a section where they can tell me stuff like “hey we see you love 2D platformers! This one that’s very popular is on sale, maybe you’d like to buy it!” or “We see you have bought every game in the Picross series. Well, there’s a new Picross game coming out next week! Would you like to pre-order it?”

edit: oops I forgot I was supposed to post only 3…

uhhh

1) Performance
2) Gifting
3) Recommendations

Last edited:
1. Add Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
2. Add Donkey Kong Country Returns HD
3. Add Super Mario Galaxy 2

But seriously fix the lag. Also put more charts, like Top 30 selling per Category (family, rpg, action...), Top 30 pre-orders, Top 30 on sales / not on sale etc.
You can already do that. Search, filtered search, choose genre, sort by popularity (which is the default option anyway). Not ideal mind you, but hey it works.

Tthe actual performance of the shop on the console is pretty bad. Nowadays I’d rather just purchase software from Nintendo‘s website through my phone than deal with the on-console eShop.
I'm pretty sure this isn't necessarily an issue with the shop itself, just whatever they use to render web sites is slow and possibly memory constrained. The NSO app has similar perf issues, although I swear that runs slightly better in handheld mode.

Honestly I don't even have three, only one: fix the lag.

But I do mostly buy and start downloads from the website. It's quicker.

• Fix loading times on console. I think it was explained a few times in the Future Hardware thread why the eShop can often be a lagging mess on the Switch (something that I think extends to the NSO applet as well), but it would be cool if a solution to this was found.
  • Shopping cart. Would be more convenient in regards to buying games, and could encourage people to buy more games, which sounds like something you should want, Nintendo.
  • Rating system. You had this on the Wii U and 3DS, you can have it here. Speaking of...
  • Better sorting. The browser eShop currently has better means of sorting through games, which is the reason other than the lag why I use that near-exclusively these days. Fix this.
  • Game automatically gets removed from your wishlist when you buy it. If I bought a game digitally, it should get removed from my wishlist ASAP. It even notes when I go to my wishlist that I've purchased a game already, so just use that information to take it off the list.
  • Refund system. Steam has had a refund system for almost a decade now. Please follow their lead on this. I'd even begrudgingly accept getting the money back as eShop credit if you want to be weird about it.
  • Gifting games. Let me just buy other people games digitally. Do you understand the number of extra copies of games you'd sell from people trying to force their friends to like their favorite games?

I think the layout is pretty good, I never have trouble finding what I want. It's basically the layout they perfected with Wii U, made flat.

The changes I'd make:

Optimisation, obviously, that's a big one. I don't think a dedicated system app is the answer per se, but they could adjust security measures or do a halfway approach with a large cache and built in layout functionality, akin to Microsoft Store on Xbox.

Recommendations. You know the games I buy Nintendo, let me opt into recommendations right on the system.

Layout adjustments, minor but important. Payment, redeem and account should all be under the same option on the side bar. While I'm on the matter of visual changes, a dark mode, please.

Speed, better filtering.
I'd love to be able to filter on Publisher for example, to see only Nintendo games.
You can. Find a game of the publisher you want, enter its page, put the cursor on the publisher underneath the game's title and you can see all the games they've published.

• Fix loading times on console. I think it was explained a few times in the Future Hardware thread why the eShop can often be a lagging mess on the Switch (something that I think extends to the NSO applet as well), but it would be cool if a solution to this was found.
  • Shopping cart. Would be more convenient in regards to buying games, and could encourage people to buy more games, which sounds like something you should want, Nintendo.
  • Rating system. You had this on the Wii U and 3DS, you can have it here. Speaking of...
  • Better sorting. The browser eShop currently has better means of sorting through games, which is the reason other than the lag why I use that near-exclusively these days. Fix this.
  • Game automatically gets removed from your wishlist when you buy it. If I bought a game digitally, it should get removed from my wishlist ASAP. It even notes when I go to my wishlist that I've purchased a game already, so just use that information to take it off the list.
  • Refund system. Steam has had a refund system for almost a decade now. Please follow their lead on this. I'd even begrudgingly accept getting the money back as eShop credit if you want to be weird about it.
  • Gifting games. Let me just buy other people games digitally. Do you understand the number of extra copies of games you'd sell from people trying to force their friends to like their favorite games?
I’d also add bringing back user reviews to this list. Adding music to the eShop is probably the last thing on the list.

simple:
1 - implement a policy that prohibits the use of ai-generated images for in-game content and get rid of every single ai slop game on the very same day
2 - implement a rating system and add user reviews
3 - add interest bubbles so that users can fine-tune what they're into before looking up games
4 - rework the recent releases and other tabs so that they focus on highly-rated games and ones that appeal to your interests
5 - add a gifting and gift inventory system
6 - add a refund system. I don't care how it's going to work, FIGURE IT OUT. it's absurd that they don't have it in the first place.

• make it not laggy as heck
  • robust "search/sort by tags" feature (genre, publisher, developer, series, etc)
  • shopping cart

(if I could have two more things, it'd be gifting options and the ability to hide games/devs/publishers you aren't interested in)

I'm pretty sure this isn't necessarily an issue with the shop itself, just whatever they use to render web sites is slow and possibly memory constrained. The NSO app has similar perf issues, although I swear that runs slightly better in handheld mode.
WebKit, but without JIT, so all JavaScript is interpreted instead of being compiled to faster machine instructions.

I'd genuinely love to know the timing between loading up eShop/finding a game/checking out, because I'm pretty sure it's the one thing Wii U accomplished better than Switch in a prettier format and music playing in the background.

1. Reduce lag
This one is by far the most inexcusable and is why I am so reluctant to open up the digital storefront on my Switch. It is a preferable experience to just buy a game on my desktop browser or hell even my phone just because it's less painful to accomplish my goal.

2. Curation
While the News section of Switch does a fine enough job of highlighting games worth exploring, I still feel Wii U did it better because it was actually integrated within the eShop. Almost as if...Nintendo knows how atrociously laggy the eShop on Switch is and it's not even worth opening up to see what games are actually for sale. As a minor additional point, I do agree with others that I wish I could block certain publishers because I really could do without seeing 200 reskins of calculator apps or hentai games all on sale for 99% off.

3. Gifting games to friends
Where'd the option go? There are many times I would genuinely prefer to get a game digitally for a friend, but it seems so backasswards that if I want to get my friend a digital copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the only way I could do so is if I order the code off Amazon and then forward the email so my friend has to suffer through inputting a 16 digit serial code on a laggy eShop. Why can't I just buy the game in-house that sends to them immediately, the funds are held on my credit card, and they can accept the gift within 7 days or whatever and the charge is confirmed or it expires/they decline and the money is released back to my credit card. Like, they had this system in place before on Wii; it was possible then, it's possible now.

I'd genuinely love to know the timing between loading up eShop/finding a game/checking out, because I'm pretty sure it's the one thing Wii U accomplished better than Switch in a prettier format and music playing in the background.
The Wii U in general dedicated more resources to the system UI and apps like the shop. But it was also a (sort of) traditional console and its hardware isn't specifically comparable to the Switch.

I imagine a system UI as busy as Wara Wara Plaza would be a nightmare for Switch performance.

The Wii U in general dedicated more resources to the system UI and apps like the shop. But it was also a (sort of) traditional console and its hardware isn't specifically comparable to the Switch.

I imagine a system UI as busy as Wara Wara Plaza would be a nightmare for Switch performance.
It's more or less a comparison made in frustration from how slow the eShop is lol. Like damn, I get that Switch wanted to go for minimalist effects so that you can launch into a game almost immediately given how slow the Wii U was even at peak efficiency, but somehow they botched all those seconds saved in loading performance when it comes to this one digital storefront

Just shamefully copy Steam and you're done. That's what I want.

And for it to run acceptable. I haven't used the eshop in years, because it's miserable browsing through it. It literally wastes my time. I use Dekudeals instead.

-A hard ban on all AI-generated content.
-Strict limits on how often and how long publishers can run discounts, or at the very least stop listing them in the discounts tab after a set amount of time, stop letting shovelware game the system and basically permanently hog up space there.
-SOME CONSISTENCY between the console, desktop web, and mobile versions of the store. It's all over the place with different layouts, organization methods, and even branding. I think it was just the "Store" section of Nintendo.com for a while and now it's the "My Nintendo Store", mixing together digital games, physical merchandise, and the My Nintendo reward goods? You don't see "eShop" outside of the console itself. It should also have a dedicated mobile app, or at the least be a function within the existing NSO mobile app.

Been thinking about this a lot lately since I've been browsing the eshop fairly frequently.

1. Categories

Actual categories tabs/pages for genres, publishers and series. I know there are filters but I want actual pages like on Steam.

2. A curated home page

WiiU had one that showed some new games, featured series and sales and would occasionally just showcase older games that may have a connection to a ln upcoming release.

3. A for you page

Have a page that recommends you games based on your other purchases. Its kinda nuts that there isn't something like that on there.

Honestly the Eshop just needs to take a lot of inspiration from Steam and Nintendo's own past shops. I saw someone mention the lag and I cant believe such a barebones shop is still so laggy. And if I can mention a small nitpick Id also remove games that started as digital only and then got non limited physical prints from the digital only best seller tab.... Stardew has been #1 there for years and yet I have a retail copy of the game on my shelf I bought years ago. And its not like its out of print, you can still easily get a copy.

Last edited:
Everyone has already mentioned the very obvious issues (lag, poor curation/discoverability, lack of shop music) so I'll go with: shamelessly copying the Steam points shop so you can buy a range of shop/OS music with platinum points.

1. speed
2. speed
3. speed

I’m sure there are a lot of other things I’d like. maybe gifting games? that gets messy internationally, though. ehh.

I feel like mentioning the lag/speed is a freebie , so minus that

1. Shopping cart- Idk how this isnt a thing already and feels insane we dont have one
2. Gifting- I would love to gift out a few games to friends
3. Filtering- I would love to take out games I already bought from the sales page and to hide games I will never buy

The only way to truly fix the lag is to have a better web browser that can run fast with limited resources, since Chromium is the only game in town, we are kind of stuck with it.
  1. Implement background music if possible, I know it is a webpage but it should be doable.
  2. Add cart functionality for buying games
  3. Groups based on type, publisher, developer, and if the game has a demo.

Fix the lag and speed is the obvious one.

But also add better categories to the front page. Wii U eShop was great at this.

And bring back gifting games to friends. Wii Shop had this, no idea why they took it out.

It's more or less a comparison made in frustration from how slow the eShop is lol. Like damn, I get that Switch wanted to go for minimalist effects so that you can launch into a game almost immediately given how slow the Wii U was even at peak efficiency, but somehow they botched all those seconds saved in loading performance when it comes to this one digital storefront
There are kind of two prongs to the problem:
  1. Switch imposes stricter security restrictions on most software than Wii U, which particularly hits the performance of browser based applets by forcing JavaScript through the slow path.
  2. Games with network connectivity on Switch (as well as some misbehaving ones that don't) aren't (immediately) fully suspended when in the background, which can eat into the resources the system has to run its various applets.
A faster CPU could brute force through the first problem a bit better, assuming the general JavaScript bloat doesn't escalate significantly, but the second problem is just sort of fundamental to how the Switch does multitasking.

1. Categories- Add Categories like what the Wii-U eshop had. Being able to search games by franchises and genre would be a game changer.

2. Fix the lag

3. Bring back the Wii Music theme

Back
Top Bottom