• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion My Wife and I have done cost analysis..... Streaming isn't worth it.

The best thing about streaming is the lack of contracts you get with cable/satellite TV so you can watch some things you want on one service one month, cancel, switch to another next month and watch something on there etc so you don't even really have to miss anything
This is also a great point, occasionally I do this as well. It’s good to keep in mind that, as far as I know, streaming subs have zero reward for loyalty. If your cost went down if you were a long term subscriber that’d be one thing. As is, you should totally cancel when you’re bored and renew when something you’re interested in shows up!

I only have Disney+, which is the one that still justifies the cost for me. I had HBO for a while, but cancelled it. Might sign up again to finish The Sopranos, The Pacific and to watch Band of Brothers once in a while, but only after cancelling Disney. I'm not gonna pay for two services at once.

This is totally how I feel. I’d watch some Netflix originals and then some old ass Forensic Files from the free channels that come with my TV, and the free shit was more entertaining by far!

Ooh this is a great idea if OP is down for the groundwork. You could rip your physical library, host a Plex server for like $40-50 a year and basically run your own streaming service so it’s still easy to access from your bed or office or whatever.
I thought about doing something like this. But I realized that it is $50 a year, plus the cost of the DVD and bluerays, plus the time to actually burn them.

With that $50 a year, I can buy 3-5 seasons of a show my wife and I want, or 2-3 movies to own forever. That doesn't make sense financially either.

My partner prefers streaming and I prefer physical media even for alot of shows. The cost definitely adds up and that's where we butt heads.

I have Dropout TV and YouTube Premium. I use both extensively and there is no alternative to either. I have access to Disney though my parents and I have Prime Video but that is just because it comes with Amazon Prime.

I can't imagine there are a ton of people who exclusively watch a handful of shows on repeat. People subscribe to so many streaming services because they want everything available to them. If people weren't so picky literally any streaming service would have more than enough content to keep them entertained indefinitely. Hell if they really wanted they would just switch between the services every few months and they could still watch literally everything for less than 20$ a month.

Amazon is adding ads to Prime Video because of course it is.

IMG-0606.jpg

Ad-free is an additional $2.99 per month. All these streaming companies have done is circle back and invent cable again.

I don’t use Prime Video that often (mostly for The Boys and Invincible). Honestly surprised this didn’t happen sooner given that Amazon is a retailer.

Amazon is adding ads to Prime Video because of course it is.

IMG-0606.jpg

Ad-free is an additional $2.99 per month. All these streaming companies have done is circle back and invent cable again.

I don’t use Prime Video that often (mostly for The Boys and Invincible). Honestly surprised this didn’t happen sooner given that Amazon is a retailer.
That doesn’t apply to purchased content though.

Netflix has always been absoulte fucking dogshit since the very beggining and if anyone thinks they are that beneficial to the indsutry to put it bluntly, they are absoutle fucking idiots full stop.

As hardly any of the impact of the investments netflix has did to the industry really mattered in the long term. All of that money went to making total dogshit adaptations like, cowboy bebop and one piece.

Let it burn down honestly and physical media always for the win.

The only streaming service I currently pay for is Crunchyroll which is excellent value to me since I usually watch a few shows every season and I have a ton in my backlog I want to get to. I don’t pay for Amazon Prime myself currently, but I probably would just for free shipping. Disney+ I would not pay for by myself at the current level and especially not after the price increase. I got it as a gift from a friend back when it was not so expensive, but there’s just so little there for me beyond the movies and exclusive Star Wars and Marvel shows. But then they are having way less of those exclusives and then they just gutted a whole bunch of other stuff 🙃

I always try to buy Blu Rays where I can since streaming services, Crunchyroll definitely included, are always unreliable about hosting their catalogs. If I ever cut streaming entirely, I have a ton of Blu Rays to enjoy at my own pace.
Not everything is on crunchyroll or even sentai or discotek.

Case in point, only season 4 of hell girl is on it and not the other seasons for some strange reason iirc.

My collection is mainly from pawn shops and thrift stores of what anime i got tho.

From our side, we cancel a subscription service when we’re not watching something anytime soon. We’ll just resubscribe once there’s something on there we want to watch. Netflix is mostly used by my wife and not me, so we hold onto that one. My wife also uses Amazon Prime, so we have Prime Video. Then lastly, we have Apple TV+ since we have Apple One. Luckily we don’t subscribe to much else and don’t have cable.

I need somewhere to complain about this.

Man, what is up with Paramount +? I went to download a show on my son's tablet for a trip, but I couldn't! I realized it was probably because I only subscribe to the ad plan, so I tried to upgrade my sub via the app. It kept freezing though, which I attributed to my son's tablet being a Fire.

So, naturally I grabbed my iPad to try and fix my subscription. The app said I couldn't manage my membership there because I subscribed through Amazon. I didn't think that was true, but whatever! I logged into Amazon to see what the deal was. It wasn't there!

It turns out that I subscribed not through Amazon Prime but through Amazon vis a vis Fire Stick, which is apparently different? The only way to adjust my subscription was to use my Fire Stick, for some reason. Why does it have to be like this?

The best part of this ordeal is that it turns out I can't download shows on my son's tablet because Fire tablets are not supported for downloads.

Just a public service announcement that the Criterion Channel is currently streaming all 4 official Mr. Vampire films AND Close Encounters of the Spooky kind. Folks, there is no better deal in all of streaming! I am not being paid to say this, I just strongly believe in the product.

I mainly use the streamers for films rather than tv - used to have five of them on the go but it's down the three (but really just two now):

Netflix - cancelled
Disney+ - cancelled
Amazon Prime - not particularly happy with the new plans for getting people to pay more to removed ads but my partner gets a ton of use out of it from the various tv shows included so there's value in it for us.
MUBI - £10 a month but it's such an eclectic mix of films, always something interesting to watch. An extravagance maybe but you'd be hard pressed finding a good chunk of their library elsewhere.
Now TV Movies - we cancelled this a long while ago but Sky just seemingly want to throw £1 a month for 3 months offers at me, and recently extended my latest one my another 6 months. It's a shame the resolution isn't great (720p maximum), but £9 for 9 months seems reasonable to me for that limitation.

I'm also finding myself gravitating more towards the free services as well - I always forget BBC iPlayer has quite a few films in its catalogue, and though there are forced ads, ITVx and 4OD also have a respectable collection that rotates pretty regularly.

I don’t subscribe to anything, just let my Nintendo sub run out as I’m not playing online anymore now that I’ve done with MonHun. I still just wait and pick up stuff on CD/DVD in the sales. I made my peace long ago with there being more media I’m interested in than I have time to engage with (right now) so I just pick and choose a few box sets in the sales

If you add cleaning crayon mess, probably not.
what’s the worst that could happen? ten thousand crayon microwave?

there’s no rule that says you have to scrub your kids’ drawings off the walls. that’s based decor right there. bona fide original.

not a law in the land that says “be a wall coward”

Last edited:
Father-in-law has most of the streaming services and my wife and I leech off of him, idk what we'd do without him. Wife would probably want to find an avenue for Disney+ and Netflix, I'd maybe want HBO occasionally but probably use the library more frequently

I used to be very pro-streamer before all the price hikes and now it's gotten out of hand. I also think people have rose tinted glasses about cable and video rental stores. Subscribing to all the major platforms ad-free tiers is still cheaper than cable/satellite with the benefit of on-demand viewing. Flipping through channels, dealing with even longer ads, and having to sit in front of your TV at a specific time to see a show is fucking awful. Having to drive/walk to a video store, hope they have what you want in stock and not dealing with late fees, damaged discs also fucking sucks.

The ability to buy/rent movies and TVs has never gone away but people act like it has. I've built a large digital video library for incredibly cheap. If you're adamant about having physical media their are constant sales on Amazon. If you think a season of a TV show for $20 is expensive you must have forgotten when a physical TV box set for one season ran you like $40-$80. You don't have to consume everything at once. If a streamer has something you want to watch pay the one time fee, binge it and cancel it after the 30 days. If there's a movie you want to watch you don't even have to pay the monthly fee just pay $4-$8 and rent it. People need to adjust their viewing habits.

You should also take advantage of the rise of FAST (free, ad-support, television) networks. Services like Tubi, Pluto, Roku have a lot of cool stuff for free with sometimes even less ad than the paid ad-tiers of streamers. Netflix rising to $20, Disney+ rising to $15 and Apple TV+ rising to $10, Amazon inserting ads to Prime Video and the streaming clamping down on account sharing. It's gotten awful.

tl;dr. You don't need access to everything all the time. It's okay to jump around subscriptions depending on what you want to watch. Take advantage of FAST services. You can still buy/rent movies. You can still buy physical media for cheap. Cable/satellite and video rental stores fucking sucked and it's not better than what we have now.

I used to be very pro-streamer before all the price hikes and now it's gotten out of hand. I also think people have rose tinted glasses about cable and video rental stores. Subscribing to all the major platforms ad-free tiers is still cheaper than cable/satellite with the benefit of on-demand viewing. Flipping through channels, dealing with even longer ads, and having to sit in front of your TV at a specific time to see a show is fucking awful. Having to drive/walk to a video store, hope they have what you want in stock and not dealing with late fees, damaged discs also fucking sucks.

The ability to buy/rent movies and TVs has never gone away but people act like it has. I've built a large digital video library for incredibly cheap. If you're adamant about having physical media their are constant sales on Amazon. If you think a season of a TV show for $20 is expensive you must have forgotten when a physical TV box set for one season ran you like $40-$80. You don't have to consume everything at once. If a streamer has something you want to watch pay the one time fee, binge it and cancel it after the 30 days. If there's a movie you want to watch you don't even have to pay the monthly fee just pay $4-$8 and rent it. People need to adjust their viewing habits.

You should also take advantage of the rise of FAST (free, ad-support, television) networks. Services like Tubi, Pluto, Roku have a lot of cool stuff for free with sometimes even less ad than the paid ad-tiers of streamers. Netflix rising to $20, Disney+ rising to $15 and Apple TV+ rising to $10, Amazon inserting ads to Prime Video and the streaming clamping down on account sharing. It's gotten awful.

tl;dr. You don't need access to everything all the time. It's okay to jump around subscriptions depending on what you want to watch. Take advantage of FAST services. You can still buy/rent movies. You can still buy physical media for cheap. Cable/satellite and video rental stores fucking sucked and it's not better than what we have now.
Tubi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Netflix

I dropped all my subs years ago, but decided to check out Tubi based on recommendations here:

jM7Vp0dUTZOe8zA_1698399677.png

Sigh, figures 😩

Back
Top Bottom