• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion My new most wanted game: Animal Crossing e++ (or: a brief history of the earliest Animal Crossing games)

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
I've spent much of the past month being a miserable bastard online, so for a slight change of pace I thought I'd put together this thread in anticipation of the upcoming Nintendo Direct.

I imagine that many of you are aware of the fact that Animal Crossing for the GameCube is actually a port of an N64 game, but personally I didn't understand the full lineage until pretty recently. Dōbutsu no Mori was launched on the N64 in Japan in April of 2001, and it was very impressive for its hardware. In some ways you could think of it as the The Last of Us of the N64. This version was actually far more limited than I realized compared to the later GameCube versions. Here is a non-comprehensive list of things it was missing:
  • the Able Sisters (yes, really)
  • the Museum (yes, really!)
  • Tortimer
  • Kapp'n and the Island
  • Coconuts (lol)

Just eight months later Japan saw Dōbutsu no Mori+ for the GameCube, featuring all of the above. After these two releases, the series finally came to the United States as Animal Crossing in September 2002. I had always heard that EAD was so impressed by the thorough work done in the localization (and the e-Reader functionality) that they re-localized it with their own enhancements as Dōbutsu no Mori e+, and had left it at that. The only thing I knew about this version was that if players struck the door of Nook's shop three times after hours, he'd begrudgingly let you in to buy tools or sell items for less favorable rates.

Somehow my curiosity never led me to the wild list of additions made to the game with this version until my recent hopes for a new version of the game on Nintendo Switch. In addition to the above, e+ featured:
  • K.K. Slider giving a performance for players' birthdays
  • the ability to buy a private island after fully upgrading one's house
  • the Reset Monitoring Center
  • more fish, bugs, and K.K. songs
  • the Jacob's Ladder flower appearing in perfect towns
  • taking screenshots and transferring them to an SD card (yes, really)
  • eavesdropping on conversations between villagers

This isn't all, though. There was one huge addition that I am baffled I was never aware of: town decorations. Players can pay Tom Nook to build decorative structures in a given acre, taking the place of one of the villager home lots.

DnMe_FlowerClock.jpg
DnMe_Lamp.jpg
DnMe_WindTurbine.jpg
DnMe_Fountain.jpg

If you had told me these screenshots were from a ROM hack, I would've believed you. That's just a downport of New Leaf! I feel that I've made my fascination with e+ clear, so I'd like to take just a moment more to describe what I see as the advantages of "Animal Crossing e++," a further enhanced HD remake for global release.

1. It would garner interest from western fans unfamiliar with this iteration.
2. Fans nostalgic for any iteration of this first generation would be interested.
3. Animal Crossing as an IP would see activity in between New Horizons and whatever comes next.
4. However, the game would not compete with New Horizons due to its significant differences in style and gameplay.
5. Finally, the smaller scope of the overworld could make either graphical performance or effects even more impressive than in New Horizons.

To that last point, I also relatively recently saw in-development screenshots of New Horizons that showed a 3D effect for the grass. I imagine this was removed for performance reasons, as even enough flowers can hurt the final game's framerate, but the atmosphere of a simpler game would benefit greatly from it. Imagine the wind blowing through the trees, flowers, and grass...

animal-crossing-new-horizons-cedec-2020-beta-development-screenshot-1.jpg

animal-crossing-new-horizons-cedec-2020-beta-development-screenshot-2.jpg

So, what did you think? Would you be as excited as I would? If not, would you consider giving this strange piece of history a shot? I'd love to hear your comments below, even if they're kind of mean. As is the spirit of the first gen of Animal Crossing!

To leave off, here's the special rendition of the classic title theme in Dōbutsu no Mori e+.

I can't stress enough how good of an idea would be re-releasing Animal Crossing GC on Switch. Even if it's just e+ with a localization and an upres, it'd do crazy good and would satisfy the people that were disappointed on NH by not being like old AC, and at the same time it'd give the AC fanbase something to do after NH reached EOL.

I can't stress enough how good of an idea would be re-releasing Animal Crossing GC on Switch. Even if it's just e+ with a localization and an upres, it'd do crazy good and would satisfy the people that were disappointed on NH by not being like old AC, and at the same time it'd give the AC fanbase something to do after NH reached EOL.
I've been calling it the perfect move in private, not because I love it so much but for these reasons. It does everything the suddenly massive IP needs in this period between games without demanding massive resources. I think they could very comfortably coexist, too.

The “original” Animal Crossing (meaning, as you describe, the third version of Animal Forest) is still probably my favorite in the series, just because of how much fun I had with it and how fresh and chill and simple it was, so I would 100% pay good money for an “Animal Crossing e++” or “e+ HD” or whatever.

obligatory "Treehouse translation Animal Crossing villagers being out of pocket" compilation

I don't think Animal Crossing will ever get rereleases, I mean maybe New Horizons will on Switch 2 with new dlc, but they just need to take the personalities out of the GC version and put em in the new ones. So sick of the stale personalities.

I'm not sure I'd play it, but I think it would be a cool thing to release, honestly.

Yes, a thousand times yes.

If we're on the topic of the original Animal Crossing can we talk about how hilarious some of the N64 models are though
kody.png

The “original” Animal Crossing (meaning, as you describe, the third version of Animal Forest) is still probably my favorite in the series, just because of how much fun I had with it and how fresh and chill and simple it was, so I would 100% pay good money for an “Animal Crossing e++” or “e+ HD” or whatever.

Yep, this was def my favorite Animal Crossing too. Maybe this is partly nostalgia but I just really like the vibes of it

I'd be down. Gamecube Animal Crossing was the peak of Animal Crossing as a life simulator and New Leaf was the peak of Animal Crossing as a video game. The new additions sound cool, though I kinda like how uncustomizable the town was.

Well, Harvest Moon: Magical Melody was the peak of both, but that's beside the point.

I'm going to guess if they were really making a definitive version they would likely re-translate it with the dialog being closer to the Japanese version and not the uh... very much liberties taken English version. That localization is really weird, with Animal Crossing being laid back and the dialog being mean spirited and with a lot of edge. It's almost like they disliked what audience the game was aimed at.

Back
Top Bottom