• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Monster Hunter World ships 20 million copies worldwide

That is madnees. Frankly, no one expected a japanese published game to reach such heights, if not made by Nintendo.

I remember when 10 million was the most optimistic estimate. The game has doubled that and is still selling...

Wow, incredible game too. Although, I haven't returned to it since Rise and I'm a little worried to do so, in case Rise has taken away from it haha but I'm very happy that such a good game is being rewarded

Just think. 20 million now know where Zorah Magdaros is heading

Deserved, this series needs to be as massive as it is. It did better than I expected, I used to think it would do 5-10 million LTD, this is just on another level.

And Rise seems to continue that, 7 million and counting on a single platform. Could have been higher with some better post launch support, but meh. PC sales and Sunbreak will help the legs some more.

I bet a big percentage of those sales are on PC. There is a reason Subreak will be released at same time on Switch and Steam, because how important is the platform to the series. Happy to see it's selling well!

I bet a big percentage of those sales are on PC. There is a reason Subreak will be released at same time on Switch and Steam, because how important is the platform to the series. Happy to see it's selling well!

Oh yeah. This is from a while ago but you get an idea of the share:

(Later tweet includes Xbox totals, which was 1.8m)

Last edited:
You love to see it (despite MHW not being my personal favourite :p). Would be great if Rise did at least hit 15m LTD, but we'll see about that.

World was my first MH game. Although I prefer Rise, it was a fantastic introduction and I'm glad it's got a solid presence in the West now.

Perhaps they should look at making a next gen patch?

Or are they already focusing on World 2?

MH has really become Capcom premier IP. You have Rise selling almost double what Village did, and that's exclusive vs 6 platforms. And MHW selling double the copies than 7 which was a return to form of the series.

Yeah, I had tried to get into MH so many times and hated it each time. Then came World. What a game. Fully deserves the success.

Rise was good but I'm not sure if I prefer it. The quicker action and less dense levels definitely suited the Switch, but I loved the more immersive exploration-heavy levels of World. Will be interesting to see what direction they go in for "World 2".

Good numbers but honestly at least 50% of those sales were after heavy sales. I’ve seen World be sub £20 a few months after launch and it’s on three huge user bases.

Rise doing 10+ million would be far more impressive to me because they’ve basically been selling it at full price outside of the recent eshop sale a few weeks ago and that’s been on a single platform for less than a year.

I'm a little confused by their counting, but either way it's a smashing success. Who would've thought prior to launch that the game would reach these heights. Turns out, even that one analyst that predicted 10m was drastically undershooting

Yeah, I had tried to get into MH so many times and hated it each time. Then came World. What a game. Fully deserves the success.

Rise was good but I'm not sure if I prefer it. The quicker action and less dense levels definitely suited the Switch, but I loved the more immersive exploration-heavy levels of World. Will be interesting to see what direction they go in for "World 2".
World 2 will expand on the first World game. It will focus more on a traditional narrative progression and dense, detailed environments. I don't expect things like wirebugs or the simplified monster tracking via the owls to make an appearance in that game. Maybe World 2 will have palamutes, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't make the cut.

Maybe World 2 will have palamutes, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't make the cut.
I could see them potentially taking away from the exploration/hunting simulation aspect, if you will, which World introduced/emphasised. Faster traversal often means less time/willingness to spend on really diving into the maps/ecosystems, I'd say.
So yeah, I don't expect either the doggos nor the bugs to make a return. I'd be genuinely surprised, even.

Crazy to think that before this there was so much anxiety about why Monster Hunter was not catching on in the West.

I could see them potentially taking away from the exploration/hunting simulation aspect, if you will, which World introduced/emphasised. Faster traversal often means less time/willingness to spend on really diving into the maps/ecosystems, I'd say.
So yeah, I don't expect either the doggos nor the bugs to make a return. I'd be genuinely surprised, even.
I disagree on palamutes not being included , i don’t expect wire bug versus say a more versatile grappling hook than what slinger/clutch claw was . But world iceborne already introduced raider rides and it’s very easy to see palamutes return in that capacity , i also believe in that context they would provide the option for them to be ridden manually and to cooperate in the hunt again . I don’t think it would take away from what they went for in world any more so than raider rides introduction did .

Back
Top Bottom