• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Monster Hunter Wilds - 2nd Trailer: The Hunter's Journey (Crossplay and PC Day 1 announced, Next Trailer at Gamescom)

One tweet from the Monster Hunter account says, „experience the most cinematic and immersive story in the series history.“. Yeah no thanks, but it was obvious that they will go in this direction with the World successor. I don‘t like to use the word in gaming discussions because it is mostly used negatively but I don‘t know how else I could say it, but the whole cinematic stuff that started with World was a good decision from a business point of view because the „casual“ Playstation and XBox players really love that type of games. Sad for me to see that one of my favorite video game series also gets more in this direction.

Also I hope crossplay with PC can be turned off because I don‘t want to play with modders or cheaters.

MH4U had a story and it's one of the most beloved in the series. However 'cinematic' rings some alarm bells for me if they decide they want these story beats to be incredibly scripted/on rails.

god damn you guys, really that upset over a game, fucking MONSTER HUNTER, being more cinematic and having a more "immersive" story. Don't you all go through the story as fast as possible anyway, for post game? MonHun is basically a post-game game in my eyes. You spend what, 20 hours in the story, and then over 60 in post-game?

Maybe I'm crazy.

god damn you guys, really that upset over a game, fucking MONSTER HUNTER, being more cinematic and having a more "immersive" story. Don't you all go through the story as fast as possible anyway, for post game? MonHun is basically a post-game game in my eyes. You spend what, 20 hours in the story, and then over 60 in post-game?

Maybe I'm crazy.
Could you please clarify which posts do you mean with „you guys“? To me your post reads more upset than my post for example.

Balahara and Railgun Zinogre-Magala look epic.

I just don't understand why there's this dripfeeding. I feel like they just don't know when they are gonna release it yet but the game is already in a good shape that they feel confident showing it.

Also I think the buzzwords about the story focus are misleading. The game will most likely be more or less like World but without the issue of multiplayer only after cutscenes.

capcom being unable to create an objectively good story outside RE aside

hoping the changing elements/ monsters using the environment to their advantage Is something cool all the time and doesn't turn into cool the first few time but gets annoying by the 5th hunt

MH4U had a story and it's one of the most beloved in the series. However 'cinematic' rings some alarm bells for me if they decide they want these story beats to be incredibly scripted/on rails.
Yep. The problem isn't the story, it's their focus on "cinematics". How are we going to play through village quests in multiplayer without these scripted segments interfering? I need to see more. Hopefully it's all skipable

Yep. The problem isn't the story, it's their focus on "cinematics". How are we going to play through village quests in multiplayer without these scripted segments interfering? I need to see more. Hopefully it's all skipable
Ideally, we just go back to village offline/guild online being split, again.

Rise showcased just how better things are with the split, because those who want a challenge and/or play with their pals, with minimal story interruptions can largely get just that.

They really didn't need to try reinventing the wheel with how World did it.

Last edited:
Ideally, we just go back to village offline/guild online being split, again.

Rise showcased just how better things are with the split, because those who want a challenge and/or play with their pals, with minimal story interruptions can largely get just that.

They really didn't need to try reinventing the wheel with how World did it.
honestly, I wonder how the "Portable" team is going to handle their next game, as there have always been differences between the 2 teams but with generations and rise they continued the series with more fantastical elements where the world and the upcoming wilds is taking a more "grounded" approach. hoping there next game just goes buck wild, maybe even giving it more of a unique art style

honestly, I wonder how the "Portable" team is going to handle their next game, as there have always been differences between the 2 teams but with generations and rise they continued the series with more fantastical elements where the world and the upcoming wilds is taking a more "grounded" approach. hoping there next game just goes buck wild, maybe even giving it more of a unique art style
My best guess is that Ichinose (director of Portable series, GenU, Rise) will largely continue making games the way he likes, just as Tokuda (director of World and Wilds) clearly has his preferences. Given how well Rise/Sunbreak did, even post-World, it's clear that style of MH has its fans. So, I expect even more in the way of arcade-style bombast, next time he's up. And that's the beauty of it.

Loop in the likes of the Stories games as fun monster-collection RPG spin offs, and it effectively means there's no less than 3 distinct "flavors" for MH available as mainstays in rotation, and I got no beef with that kind of dynamic at all. Even if I wish Tokuda would also be as inspired to let the Gunlance be able to Blast Dash around the map, and let SnS be able to pop a Shoryuken.

Max uploaded a vid with some thoughts, they showed people at SGF the proces of a regular hunt. (footage is from the trailer we saw)

Edit: previews in general are out.

Last edited:

Another interview with a few new details, but they're pretty important. Half the article is telling the devs that people are horny for the Gemma girl. Thanks IGN! Great article! And then it talks about palico voices and how you can make them only meow. THANK GOD. And then it talks about how the story is presented. Similar to World, there will be single-player sections where you have to be by yourself. However, they say they've alleviated how disconnected and annoying World's story is to interact with as the game will automatically put you in a quest with your friends once the story segments are done. So I'm assuming that means no more waiting in the lobby for people to watch the cutscene, and then leave quest.

Happy that my Felynes can just stick to meowing. Hopefully we can still use MH language as well but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the title they remove it for.

Impressions from the scripted demo shown at SGF. Most things are backed up by other articles, although I think he mistakenly says it's open world - it isn't, still divided by biomes. They are a lot bigger now and some have villages inside them.

Went through a lot of the preview content and the impression it gives me is a whole game modeled after Iceborne's Guiding Lands.

Hoh wait, you can FINALLY pick up traps again if you misplaced them or another hunter set one up and got the monster in it?

Man ... to witness this moment in my lifetime.

Went through a lot of the preview content and the impression it gives me is a whole game modeled after Iceborne's Guiding Lands.
Yeah that's how I also thought about it. Seems dope tho.

Everything I'm hearing about this sounds good as hell. I'm so incredibly ready for another World-style MH game, as much as I do very much enjoy being able to just jump into a hunt in Rise.

... I just hope it's slightly less taxing to run than Dragon's Dogma.

Everything I'm hearing about this sounds good as hell. I'm so incredibly ready for another World-style MH game, as much as I do very much enjoy being able to just jump into a hunt in Rise.

... I just hope it's slightly less taxing to run than Dragon's Dogma.
According to the people who were shown gameplay it runs pretty flawlessly (but it did crash a few times), so I doubt it'll be another DD2. I just really want to see a direct feed video demo myself now.

Impressions from the scripted demo shown at SGF. Most things are backed up by other articles, although I think he mistakenly says it's open world - it isn't, still divided by biomes. They are a lot bigger now and some have villages inside them.

I think Gaijin's video (which is also a very good watch, if you got time) does a lot to explain it.

In short, you're both right. It's technically an "open world", but the biomes open up as you play through the game, instead of having access to everything immediately.

Sounds a lot like the Forbidden Lands really is thematically continuing where the Guiding Lands left off. I'm with it.

Max also talked about the Insect Glaive doing some "poledancer shit" for a mounted finisher, and now, I'm really just that much eager to see how Tokuda n'em treated my Bug Stick this time. Especially since IG really was more than a bit lackluster in base World.

I think Gaijin's video (which is also a very good watch, if you got time) does a lot to explain it.

In short, you're both right. It's technically an "open world", but the biomes open up as you play through the game, instead of having access to everything immediately.

Sounds a lot like the Forbidden Lands really is thematically continuing where the Guiding Lands left off. I'm with it.

Max also talked about the Insect Glaive doing some "poledancer shit" for a mounted finisher, and now, I'm really just that much eager to see how Tokuda n'em treated my Bug Stick this time. Especially since IG really was more than a bit lackluster in base World.

More previews such as the IGN one don't describe the game as open world. It seems moreso that there will be some sort of large village/base camp for different regions which you can walk between without a loading screen. With the regions also being describes as 2-3 times bigger than World's, I don't think open world is a good description for this game. This game is gonna have large, open regions, but they're not going to be connected.

More previews such as the IGN one don't describe the game as open world. It seems moreso that there will be some sort of large village/base camp for different regions which you can walk between without a loading screen. With the regions also being describes as 2-3 times bigger than World's, I don't think open world is a good description for this game. This game is gonna have large, open regions, but they're not going to be connected.
Time will tell, but I think it's just a matter of perception. It's probably why "seamless" seems to be the operative word when it comes to describing Wilds, instead of "open world". They're fundamentally the same thing, but the intention and execution is different, because you don't have access to everything right away.

As Gaijin put it: you'll be exploring these biomes, which, in turn, opens up new areas, as you explore. It wouldn't surprise me if these new areas eventually might crossover into other biomes entirely. And especially considering various established monsters reside in and/or travel between different biomes, as it is, it'd make a lot sense for it to be as seamless and organic as possible.

Or to put it another way: Say a nomadic monster, such as Deviljho, pops up in the middle of a high rank quest you may have with another target monster. After you perhaps chase it off with a well-placed dung pod, so you can finish off the monster you were originally hunting? Why not go back and chase after Jho, regardless of the fact that he skipped town and waltzed over to another biome altogether, in the mean time?

Again, this is the thing about Iceborne's Guiding Lands that I loved, and giving that this seems to be the next "big step" from that experiment, I'd be more than down with the idea of MH's "open zone" dynamic evolving in this way.

Sounds like they've fused the Guiding Lands with the Deserted Island concept from Tri.

In Tri, Moga Village was on the Deserted Island, and you could leave the village at any time to roam the island without going on a quest. So no time limit or fixed monster appearance.
It was just not seamless of course, and this seems to be an evolution of it. Sounds pretty exciting.
I hope they'll bring back the monster forecast from Tri and combine it with expeditions from 4.

I'm confused about the quest handling. The previews I've read make it seem like there are no classic quest boards anymore and you just "make" your own quest by just going into the open map and target the monster you want to hunt? How will you hunt specific monsters, are we supposed to hope the monster appears randomly?

Or how about specific objectives? Like capture monster X, or fend off monster x.

Sounds like they've fused the Guiding Lands with the Deserted Island concept from Tri.

In Tri, Moga Village was on the Deserted Island, and you could leave the village at any time to roam the island without going on a quest. So no time limit or fixed monster appearance.
It was just not seamless of course, and this seems to be an evolution of it. Sounds pretty exciting.
I hope they'll bring back the monster forecast from Tri and combine it with expeditions from 4.

I'm confused about the quest handling. The previews I've read make it seem like there are no classic quest boards anymore and you just "make" your own quest by just going into the open map and target the monster you want to hunt? How will you hunt specific monsters, are we supposed to hope the monster appears randomly?

Or how about specific objectives? Like capture monster X, or fend off monster x.
Tri was my first game and I loved the Deserted Island feature, I'd just wander out and see what was going on, farm some village points. Would love to see something similar on a big scale!

"To be honest, it was always clear in my mind that was the direction I wanted to take it," he told me. "Any Monster Hunter game where I'm director is always going to be focusing on the ecosystem element. As the hardware generations we're working on get more and more powerful, I want to use the specs of the hardware to the max in order to depict as convincing a living, breathing world as I possibly can."

So, yeah, probably not for me, as I vastly prefer Ichinose’s more mechanics focused vision of MH. That’s ultimately fine, and it’s good to hear it from Tokuda himself so clearly.
Sadly also means I’m probably going to be waiting until at least 2027 for a new Monster Hunter. 💩

So, yeah, probably not for me, as I vastly prefer Ichinose’s more mechanics focused vision of MH. That’s ultimately fine, and it’s good to hear it from Tokuda himself so clearly.
Sadly also means I’m probably going to be waiting until at least 2027 for a new Monster Hunter. 💩
I would hope it wouldn’t be 6 years between Rise and a new portable game. But if this game gets master rank in 2026 then yeah I guess we might be waiting that long. Bummer.

I like World a lot but pretty much every change Rise made such as combat flexibility, reduced grinding, and less story focus led to me liking it more more so it’s a bummer that kind of Monster Hunter isn’t coming for a long while (and is much less popular).

I look at it like this: even though I almost always prefer Ichinose's version of MH over Fujioka/Tokuda's, I think it's important the series has this "ping pong" effect between the two main directorial visions. It does more to keep things fresh each go around.

Besides, there's always the chance that Tokuda and/or Fujioka could drop another "4U" in my life, and that's a game I (and I'm sure many others) would consider an "all time GOAT". Little wonder why they keep invoking its legacy, and truly surpass what it accomplished, even almost a decade later!

I would hope it wouldn’t be 6 years between Rise and a new portable game. But if this game gets master rank in 2026 then yeah I guess we might be waiting that long. Bummer.

I like World a lot but pretty much every change Rise made such as combat flexibility, reduced grinding, and less story focus led to me liking it more more so it’s a bummer that kind of Monster Hunter isn’t coming for a long while (and is much less popular).
Rise is one of Capcoms most successful games ever. So it's very popular.

Rise is one of Capcoms most successful games ever. So it's very popular.
It sold well but half as well as World and has been the punching bag of the fanbase these last few years, mostly due to the flashy combat, lower difficulty, and that base Rise launched without the complete story & no true endgame. Sunbreak fixed some issues but it still seems this fast-paced combat focused Monster Hunter is just not as popular as the slow-paced ecology focused Monster Hunter. All the interviews about Wilds are making it evident it’s way more similar to World than Rise, and between Twitter and the other place the response is mostly “Thank goodness, Rise sucked.”

It sold well but half as well as World and has been the punching bag of the fanbase these last few years, mostly due to the flashy combat, lower difficulty, and that base Rise launched without the complete story & no true endgame. Sunbreak fixed some issues but it still seems this fast-paced combat focused Monster Hunter is just not as popular as the slow-paced ecology focused Monster Hunter. All the interviews about Wilds are making it evident it’s way more similar to World than Rise, and between Twitter and the other place the response is mostly “Thank goodness, Rise sucked.”
15 million is a good bit more than half of 25 million. The fact that it's been out for half as long as World and sold more than half as much is a pretty strong indicator it's a successful game. As for people seemingly hating Rise online, you must be in a lot of circles that hate Rise because that's just not the common perception of the game? I know the monster hunter subreddit had some pretty popular doom posts bout it being like World because the invasive story elements and people were literally saying "Why does it have to be like World? Rise was great and solved all the story problems." Either way, both our experiences are anecdotal and 15 million sales in half the time of World speaks much more than a bunch of randos on Twitter whose first game was probably World.

15 million is a good bit more than half of 25 million. The fact that it's been out for half as long as World and sold more than half as much is a pretty strong indicator it's a successful game. As for people seemingly hating Rise online, you must be in a lot of circles that hate Rise because that's just not the common perception of the game? I know the monster hunter subreddit had some pretty popular doom posts bout it being like World because the invasive story elements and people were literally saying "Why does it have to be like World? Rise was great and solved all the story problems." Either way, both our experiences are anecdotal and 15 million sales in half the time of World speaks much more than a bunch of randos on Twitter whose first game was probably World.
Monster Hunter YouTubers have been pretty down on it, and Monster Hunter Twitter constantly shits on it so idk, maybe I’m unlucky.

Rise is awesome, lol. Very addicting. But I am glad that Wilds is shifting the focus back to ecology and immersion. Still, a little extra speed/agility in Wilds would be welcome to me.

Monster Hunter YouTubers have been pretty down on it, and Monster Hunter Twitter constantly shits on it so idk, maybe I’m unlucky.

Rise is boring. Sunbreak fixed many of its issues thankfully. Nowhere as good as MHGU, MHP3rd, MHW Iceborne, or MH4U.

My impression thus far has been that the fan base is slightly leaning towards World overall, but that’s also due to it being many folks’ first MH ever, while there have been quite a few people being dismissive of Rise because it doesn’t possess World’s visual prowess. Fair enough, btw, it simply doesn’t, though I feel its art style does easily make up for that (among the mechanics, but that’s another matter).

Sales numbers are probably the safest indicator, and they show both games are doing great, and the gap between Rise and World can be explained / relativised to an extent. I’d be surprised if, with Rise presumably also being cheaper to produce, Capcom were unhappy with either result. (Not saying that Rise was cheap per se, though, but in my mind there is no way it was as expensive as World was.) Their respective popularity should guarantee healthy futures for both types, in my eyes.

Rise is boring.
It’s not. When Rise as free as a Game Trial I put like 50 hours into it in one week. Between the shorter hunts than World and the fact that things were earlier to craft I was constantly making new sets. It actually got me to try every single melee weapon. Sunbreak definitely improved things but I miss base Rise sometimes.

Sunbreak needed another balancing patch, but they doubled down on some of the more controversial parts. Combat was entirely defined by it's wirebug mechanics and it made encounters quite boring (funnily, I don't necessarily think it was easier, which is a misguided complaint you hear a lot) if you tried to play well, this issue was more prevalent on some weapons than others. Anecdotally a lot of people I know went back to Iceborne, if they didn't take a break from the franchise outright, because it was more enjoyable to improve and get better at once they did all the content in Rise/SB.

Objectively both Rise and Sunbreak sold incredibly well and another game in that vein is almost certainly happening, and I'll be there for those games too.

You miss Rampages and no endgame?
Nobody likes rampages, let’s not go crazy here. There’s a reason they were abandoned in Sunbreak.

But as for no endgame, yeah I kinda did. It was nice just fighting monsters and building like 30 different sets without worrying that I wasn’t dedicating all of my time optimizing one set like I do with other games. I don’t need to hunt monsters to chase an unattainable goal of perfect set optimization, I hunt monsters because hunting monsters is fun!

They'll never make another Monster Hunter for people like me who prefer more grounded combat with limited move sets but paired with max whimsy in flavor and designs and minimal gameplay interruptions and NO SLOPES.

Neither World nor Rise are the perfect mix.

Nobody likes rampages, let’s not go crazy here. There’s a reason they were abandoned in Sunbreak.

But as for no endgame, yeah I kinda did. It was nice just fighting monsters and building like 30 different sets without worrying that I wasn’t dedicating all of my time optimizing one set like I do with other games. I don’t need to hunt monsters to chase an unattainable goal of perfect set optimization, I hunt monsters because hunting monsters is fun!
Anecdotal, sure, but this exactly how I treated Sunbreak.

If there was one thing I loved SB's Anamoly grind for, it was that pretty much anything you throw together could be endgame-ready. New armor sets and their effects were great, but I think I just loved how I could devote a whole session to me wanting to "try this set idea I threw together in my head".

It was the thing I missed most from Iceborne's mostly homogeneous endgame, and I hope Tokuda and co. won't forsake that.

My problem with the Rise vs World debate is that the World side of the series feels like it's evolving Monster Hunter to be more user friendly but not really adding enough complexity into the game to account for that. Of course there's stuff like a more ecological focus and scripted events but those elements are largely out of the players control (turf wars) or get repetitive fast. I was a big defender of World before it released because I was tired of the fanbase acting like simply giving us a next gen Monster Hunter was somehow a betrayal of the series and after finally playing it I ironically felt a bit left out because the game, while great, just wasn't as good as I was hoping for.

Rise did a lot by actually adding in more complexity in areas in order to make the simplification of Monster Hunter better. Stuff like making the wirebug an extension of GU's abilities or adding in a lot of pickups on the field that can easily make any hunter overpowered. Of course the wildlife pickups became repetitive in their own way, but I thought it was a much better realization of adding MGS3-like elements than just hey you're by that big rock break it down to hit the thing over and over again, this of course is a great system, but even with turf wars and investigations it's not enough.

You can see how different the approach to Monster Hunter is by how the teams decided to evolve the tracking aspect of Monster Hunter. World added in a boring Witcher 3-like mode where you run around looking for clues until bugs tell you where to go, and Rise realized that tracking monsters was becoming so superfluous and that planning wasn't really what people liked about the series anymore, so they just took it out.

There's a lot to be said about how old Monster Hunter is proactive vs how new Monster Hunter is reactive, just look at how old Monster Hunter games took so long for your weapon to hit after a button press. But every action game nowadays focuses more on being reactive, we're never going back. In the meantime Monster Hunter could at least focus on being one of the best action games on the market, like they did with Rise. For people like me who are tired of everything being a Souls clone, that was arguably the cream of the crop before you got to more serious action games. The sad irony is that 4 Ultimate was way better than the Generations games, and now I can't look forward to the main team's games in quite the same way anymore.

I get your point of view, but every monster hunter game is either about having your own fun after the campaign solo or with friends while trying to fight the harder postgame or minmax optimization. You can ignore the latter if you don't like it. Sunbreak offered actual variety and interesting things in postgame.

Selling half as well as World is kinda ignoring Rise's success as a whole.

Rise is Capcom's second best selling game, only behind World. The Rise haters are a very vocal minority.

Back
Top Bottom