• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Monster HUNTER Now announced for IOS and Android (Niantic/Capcom) Sept 2023. Beta for 10,000 People begins 4-25

Love the Blair Witch style opening... Not much info other than it’s from Niantic so certainly has a real world element.

That’s interesting. Find monsters in the real world much like PoGo but you can fight them. Not sure how the combat system works, but it’s certainly an admirable effort in translating MH gameplay to mobile.

Niantic as usual, but this time you can fight the monsters.
The perspective of playing mh with a touch screen is... Well...

As a PoGo player lucky enough to be in urban areas with active communities... I'm not too sure about this. I love Monster Hunter but there's only enough time for me to play one AR game. Unless there is some crossover element with PoGo like... a Rathalos-cosplaying Charizard (unlikely), I don't think I'll be trying this out.

The game still looks quite cool though.

You, booting up your phone in the morning:

Capture-d-cran-2023-04-18-08-40-43.png

Your battery, 90 minutes later:

Capture-d-cran-2023-04-18-08-40-52.png

Latest rumor has it that niantic is working on a Seinfeld game.
Encounter in augmented reality your favorite characters like Jerry, Georges, Helen or kramer but also newman, marisa tomei, Georges'father's lawyer or babu ! You can also meet through events special versions like puffy shirt Jerry, flat hair Kramer or toupet Georges !
You can have a chat with them or make them interact with each other to relive your favorite moments of the show !
And that's that, the game is about nothing anyway, brought to you by "we have one gameplay idea" Niantic 👍

Latest rumor has it that niantic is working on a Seinfeld game.
Encounter in augmented reality your favorite characters like Jerry, Georges, Helen or kramer but also newman, marisa tomei, Georges'father's lawyer or babu ! You can also meet through events special versions like puffy shirt Jerry, flat hair Kramer or toupet Georges !
You can have a chat with them or make them interact with each other to relive your favorite moments of the show !
And that's that, the game is about nothing anyway, brought to you by "we have one gameplay idea" Niantic 👍
You have just created the one mobile game idea I would pre-register for

I wish Niantic understood that it's pokemon making them popular and not their own talent before they kill Go for good...

That looks like it might have more gameplay than the average Niantic game, which is like the lowest possible bar to clear, but it's something.

That said, this definitely isn't going to be the thing that finally makes Niantic not a one hit wonder. I get wanting to diversify, but that requires actually having new ideas rather than just repeatedly reskinning the one game they know how to make. It's particularly bad because they're doing the MMO/live service thing to themselves, because most people realistically aren't going to play more than one of these at once.

Also, no wonder Pokémon Go has been exceptionally broken lately (as opposed to just the normal background Niantic levels of broken). They're spreading themselves super thin.

Serkan Toto doesn't seem to be impressed. I'm curious how long it'll take for this to be shut down, if it makes to market at all.

Niantic should probably focus more on their existing projects rather than keep stretching themselves thin like this.

Im really not sure either trying to mimic what a MonHun battle looks like, or the Pokemon Go model, is really the best way forward for the series on mobile. I’ve often thought they are better off coming up with a more abstract take on it rather than trying to appeal directly. A bit like how Fire Emblem Heroes has you selecting a team of four to play a micro-map that takes only a couple of minutes and a handful of moves. There’s all manner of things they can do with the bestiary themselves rather than try to mimic the hunters in the action games. Even MH Stories works well on mobile as it’s turn-based.

I don’t really give a shit about microtransaction games, but I just think this really isn’t a good fit and is hammering a square peg into a round hole, unlike with Pokemon Go where ‘looking for little monsters hiding outdoors!’ is a natural, charming fit.

Last edited:

how long will this last?

Im really not sure either trying to mimic what a MonHun battle looks like, or the Pokemon Go model, is really the best way forward for the series on mobile. I’ve often thought they are better off coming up with a more abstract take on it rather than trying to appeal directly. A bit like how Fire Emblem Heroes has you selecting a team of four to play a micro-map that takes only a couple of minutes and a handful of moves. There’s all manner of things they can do with the bestiary themselves rather than try to mimic the hunters in the action games. Even MH Stories works well on mobile as it’s turn-based.

I don’t really give a shit about microtransaction games, but I just think this really isn’t a good fit and is hammering a square peg into a round hole, unlike with Pokemon Go where ‘looking for little monsters hiding outdoors!’ is a natural, charming fit.
they did try this with one of the games but it didn't pan out.

How is Niantic getting all this IPs? Harry Potter, Pikmin, Monster Hunter?

Companies throw their big franchises at them as if Niantic is always successful, but the only successful game is PokemonGo and that seems to be an outlier. Niantic seems to be one of the many one-hit-wonder companies in the mobile games world.

Anyway Niantic should make so much money with PGo that they should/could concentrate on that game, but it remains buggy and slow and is now so filled with microtransactions, that even mobile fans get annoyed.

I’ll give it a shot. At least it looks like there’s more going on that “Pokemon Go, but Monster Hunter.”

Found this post on Reddit that outlines some playtest feedback:

/r/MonsterHunter | "Monster Hunter Now" | /u/Hexdro

/u/Hexdro said:
For anyone wondering about the game — play tests over in Japan for Monster Hunter Now were pretty positive. Character and monster models look right out of the game, and the overworld map & UI look like Monster Hunter, too. Here's a basic overview of the gameplay from the demo:

Here's a basic overview for gameplay in Monster Hunter Now.
  • Combat is comparable to the Monster Hunter Explore mobile game. Tap to attack, flick to dodge, hold for special charged attack (or guard) depending on the weapon.
  • Demo only had four weapons: longsword, sword & shield, bowgun and great sword.
  • Different weapons/armors will show on your character.
  • There are hunter ranks.
  • Monsters will have different levels (stars) and that'll correlate to your hunter rank.
  • You do get a pet palico.
  • You can "paintball" monsters to hunt them later when convenient.
  • You can set your palico to automatically paintball monsters for you when you're out for walks, so you can hunt them later in your own home, or wherever with friends.
  • Battles last 75 seconds. You can cut off tails and break parts.
  • When you go to hunt a monster, you can choose to hunt solo or with friends. The second option will allow players from upto 200m around you join in.
  • Progression is similar to normal monster hunter, you gather materials & resources to upgrade your gear and weapon and level up your hunter rank.
  • Gathering still plays a huge part of the game. Along with Monsters, ore deposits, bones, herbs, etc, will spawn on the field.
  • Gathering materials is just a simple "tap tap tap" on them.
  • The overworld map utilises landmarks and location data (points of interest) for Monster Spawns & Resources.
  • Character is customizable.
  • Portrait or landscape mode is available.
  • Monsters will glow red just before an attack.
  • Monsters will still be unique with their attack patterns & glow.
  • There are quests and main quests.
  • There are items/potions and also an in-game store.
  • There are two overworld map options. One similar to Pokemon GO where it follows your character up close, and also the other one allows you to zoom out and see everything surrouding you.
  • Biomes play a huge role, with the map being split up into zones like Swamps, etc.
It has been in development since 2019, and it looks like Capcom has a lot more hands-on with the development than Niantic's other IP titles. From everything we've seen so far, it looks promising. However, we don't know how Niantic will monetize it.
This also isn't being developed by the Pokemon GO team, rather their Tokyo-based team.

Edit more information:
In a Q&A they said that they plan to add more weapons and monsters as the game progresses. They've also got other popular weapon types prepared for launch. Multiplayer is 4 player.
The more players in a battle = the damage of the enemy increases. Light bowgun has two types of bullets. If you play in landscape mode, you can use gyro aiming.
They've also said as of right now, there are no original monsters for the game. They also said they'd love to do special battle events for Elder Dragons.

Using paintballs while you walk around and being able to challenge monsters once you're back home sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom