• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! sales top 3.5 million

If I'm not mistaken, this is the best-selling Konami game in Japan ever. I would have never expected such an outstanding success, and Konami probably neither.

Showa, Heisei, and Reiwa you say...?

ddxpf9i-fc2c7dc6-8281-41c3-963f-6a7e995c16b4.png

Just to put on context it has sold more than any Yo-kai watch game (the best selling yo-kai watch game was the 2nd it sold 3.2M and in Japan 3ds has still sold more than Switch) this is something only MH/DQ can do as a non-Nintendo IP nowadays and it's not slowing down

not exactly a game that would do well in the west unless they essentially build a specific game for a global audience

You're probably not wrong, but also these exact words were at one point said about franchises that went on to become modest sellers to hits. Ace Attorney and Yakuza both come to mind. It would at least be cool to see this be given a shot in the west.

That still wouldn't be suited for a global audience.
Um, could you elaborate more on this?
I know the characters are based on folklore, but that's the case with a lot of globally popular japanese IP. From what I know, localizing the Switch game would have been a bad idea because the game is based on Japan's geography, (a topic most people in the world are not very versed) which is why I suggested the USA game.

You're probably not wrong, but also these exact words were at one point said about franchises that went on to become modest sellers to hits. Ace Attorney and Yakuza both come to mind. It would at least be cool to see this be given a shot in the west.
more so than those. I hear these games reference very specific japanese things and locations that would be lost on non-jp folks (granted, this is what I heard anyway). hence making a new game that's more based on surface-level world locations would be better suited than just localizing this

Um, could you elaborate more on this?
I know the characters are based on folklore, but that's the case with a lot of globally popular japanese IP. From what I know, localizing the Switch game would have been a bad idea because the game is based on Japan's geography, (a topic most people in the world are not very versed) which is why I suggested the USA game.
Oh sorry. I just went with the logic of ILikeFeet that it wouldn't do well overseas if it wasn't made for a global audience in mind.
Personally I don't mind the Japanese folklore and setting of the game, I'd love to try it out.

You suggested the USA, but that doesn't change anything for the game or the global audience. That is not making the game for a worldwide audience, that's making a game for the US audience. The world =/= USA. That's what I meant.

For someone like me, the US is just as (if not more) foreign to me as Japan.

Oh sorry. I just went with the logic of ILikeFeet that it wouldn't do well overseas if it wasn't made for a global audience in mind.
Personally I don't mind the Japanese folklore and setting of the game, I'd love to try it out.

You suggested the USA, but that doesn't change anything for the game or the global audience. That is not making the game for a worldwide audience, that's making a game for the US audience. The world =/= USA. That's what I meant.

For someone like me, the US is just as (if not more) foreign to me as Japan.
then you got my logic wrong. that's not what I said

Why? Anime / Japanese themed games sell well even if they are not set in the us, specially if it involves traveling Japan.
The completely anecdotal problem that I see with the Switch game being localized is that, from what I know, most people in the Americas and Western Europe have very limited knowledge about Japan's cities and locations and don't usually recognize anything beyond Tokyo, Mount Fuji, and maybe Kyoto. If the Switch game gets localized, a lot of players will be asking themselves wtf is a Osaka or why a city is named after a brand of beer.

I suggested the PS2 game was a better fit because, in my completely anecdotal experience, a lot of people in the Americas recognize US locales such as San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Mississippi, Yellowstone, Miami, NY, DC, just to name a few (you can thank Hollywood for that).

But as Ahmed said, this isn't the case for a lot of people around the world, therefore localizing the PS2 game may not be a good idea as I thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom