• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sports MissingNo.'s Football Blog, featuring occasional guest posts – Fútbol is Life

How should we proceed with this thread going forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m rooting for Dortmund and Leverkusen.

Gotta love Leverkusen. Happy they kicked out Roma. (Have developed a Roma trauma as a Feyenoord fan)

yrCd8Ba.jpeg

Today was a good day. A really good day! What a season. Going from 16th in one season to 2nd in the next is something else.

Funny to see Klopp chanting Arne Slot.

I know some folks are sceptical (going so far as calling Slot a Ten Hag in disguise) but they will be surprised. They’re going to get one hell of manager.

And now Feyenoord has to announce a new coach. Really wondering who it will be.

City becoming League champions, meh. Bayern coming in third, lol. Kane’s curse is real.

Guess all eyes are on the Euro 2024 tournament now. Zero confidence in the Dutch squad.

Would’ve liked to see Arsenal take the title this time around. Or Liverpool. Don’t really care about ManCity per se.

Will be interesting to see how the Reds do under Slot. Hope it’ll work out for them.

You never know, maybe Dortmund wins. All it takes is a bad game from Madrid

Also, Leverkusen is pure black magic lol

There is no way Madrid will lose the final. They own the Champions League.

Looking forward to the Euros, honestly. I miss watching football without having to watch Barça.

Leverkusen got demolished, huh.

More misplaced passes than they've played all season, it felt like.

Caused by Atalanta with the most impressive, dominant team-wide defensive performance I've seen in a good while. Organized, gutsy, tireless. And Lookman secured himself a big bag if he wants it once his current deal is up.

More misplaced passes than they've played all season, it felt like.

Caused by Atalanta with the most impressive, dominant team-wide defensive performance I've seen in a good while. Organized, gutsy, tireless. And Lookman secured himself a big bag if he wants it once his current deal is up.
Stuttgart had them on the ropes in the DFB Pokal, that match could have gone either way. But this was something else. Master class.

As much as I enjoyed Leverkusen’s run this season, I can’t say I mind Bergamo winning the EL at all. I appreciate what they’re doing over there, and Bayer won the Bundesliga already, so it’s nice to see Atalanta being rewarded as well this way.

As much as I enjoyed beating Dortmund thrice this season, I would love for them to beat Real for the CL title.

Only cool promotion is gonna be Ipswich, the other two are been there done thats.
Yeah. Not only were Leicester and Southampton both Premier League mainstays for a while, they also just got relegated. It's not unexpected, but it is incredibly boring.

Honestly that's the story of the season. Boring. Leeds not winning the playoffs that they've never won is boring. Man City winning the Premier League again is boring. Leicester winning the Championship is boring. Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United being relegated is boring. Boring, boring, boring, boring and predictable.

At least interesting things happened elsewhere in Europe, I guess.

I'm not one to call a poll early, but so far everyone (who actually participated in this thread) voted in favor of a new thread for the new season, so that seems like the way we're going to move forward.

As a Barça fan, I'm less than thrilled to have former Germany coach Hansi Flick as a manager. Are there any reasons to believe? Was his UCL with Bayern more than a fluke? Am I right to be pessimistic, considering he's been unemployed for 18 months and his last job was bottled?

Thanks to you German fami fans.

As a Barça fan, I'm less than thrilled to have former Germany coach Hansi Flick as a manager. Are there any reasons to believe? Was his UCL with Bayern more than a fluke? Am I right to be pessimistic, considering he's been unemployed for 18 months and his last job was bottled?

I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic either, to be honest. Seems like kind of a weird move on Barça's behalf. Can't imagine that going over well, but I've seen weirder things work out, so who knows.

I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic either, to be honest. Seems like kind of a weird move on Barça's behalf. Can't imagine that going over well, but I've seen weirder things work out, so who knows.

I kind of wanted Kompany for Barça tbh. His Burnley was a beast in the Championship, and it was only the lack of quality of his players (to play that style of football in the Prem) and his dogmatism -the kind of dogmatism that is welcome at Barça- that relegated them. Both these things would be less of an issue in Barcelona.

It's a wild choice -as wild as having him come to Bayern, at least- but it's the kind of manager who would play the way you'd expect Barça to play, and if we're going to be a mid team let's at least have fun with it.

Flick (at least here in Barcelona) is framed as the guy who made Bayern a physically strong squad and unstoppable in the UCL... but his Bayern had players far beyond what Barça can offer now and can buy this Summer and a weird season with COVID in between that I think benefitted Bayern among other teams (like Liverpool).

Anyway, I guess we'll see soon enough.

But first, the Euros!

I kind of wanted Kompany for Barça tbh. His Burnley was a beast in the Championship, and it was only the lack of quality of his players (to play that style of football in the Prem) and his dogmatism -the kind of dogmatism that is welcome at Barça- that relegated them. Both these things would be less of an issue in Barcelona.

It's a wild choice -as wild as having him come to Bayern, at least- but it's the kind of manager who would play the way you'd expect Barça to play, and if we're going to be a mid team let's at least have fun with it.

Flick (at least here in Barcelona) is framed as the guy who made Bayern a physically strong squad and unstoppable in the UCL... but his Bayern had players far beyond what Barça can offer now and can buy this Summer and a weird season with COVID in between that I think benefitted Bayern among other teams (like Liverpool).

Anyway, I guess we'll see soon enough.

But first, the Euros!
Yeah, Bayern had an absolute monster squad when they won the triple in 19/20. I don't know how much of that achievement can be attributed to Flick's coaching when off the top of my head they still had absolute top players like Alaba, Perisic, Coutinho, and Lewandowski back then. His work with the German national team didn't do much to convince me of the opposite, either. He strikes me as the kind of coach who really depends on working with the best possible players, rather than being able to make the most of the hand he's dealt. But that's just my take.

Flick is a hard one to analyze from the outside. He's had teams playing absolutely great football when the personell and his approach lined up for a period. But he also absolutely tanked talented squads with his managment style and tactical inflexibility.

I'm happy he gets another chance for us to see what he can or can't do and happier still it's not with any club I'm invested in.

I will say Barca isn't the worst match for his idea of football. At the same time, he's not the kind of coach you're looking for when, as a first priority, you need to restore confidence and stability in a squad.

Flick isn’t a bad choice per se, though I’ll agree about him not being the best when it comes to rebuilding confidence and developing a team from the ground up. At least that didn’t work at all for him with the German national team. His time at Bayern had a very different starting situation, having a good team with high individual class which simply needed someone who could rearrange them at the time and who was able & willing to handle all these different characters, needs and wants. I won’t claim his tenure at Barca is doomed from the get-go, but I’m certainly skeptical they’re going to do much better than with Xavi, if any better at all.

A Barca dressing room with Flick as the brains and Klinsmann as the talker could work. Just sayin', if you give one out-of-luck german manager another chance, why not two at once...

I've seen plenty games where the outcome would have been flipped if you replaced each team's goalkeeper with the other one's, but this was the first I remember where changing the corner kick takers - Kroos for Brandt - results in a different winner.

My gut says Kroos is about to single-handedly dismantle BVB as his last hurrah.

And so he did, in the most unspectacular, least time and energy consuming manner possible, yes.

Dortmund's second half was one of the worst I've watched from any side in the last 15 CL finals or so. Maybe the worst were it not for Tottenham's masterclass in 2019.

The crazy thing is that the future looks even brighter for Madrid. Mbappe, Vinicius, Bellingham and Valverde, there's also mention now that they want Wirtz... Also, Camavinga still has an incredible potential in my opinion.

If they bring the right people, the streak could go on. Boring overall, but it is what it is.

I honestly expected things to go this way. Dortmund not scoring despite those good opportunities would come to bite them in the ass, and it ultimately did. That’s Real Madrid for you. They’re cold as ice when it comes to this. Something the BVB was severely missing in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom