• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Miiverse is spreading to Twitter

Elon being a dumbass goes without saying but I really think this Miiverse 'Yeah!' meme isn't a suitable replacement and has already gotten out of control. I've seen a lot of serious posts about current news events or someone going through something horrible met with a ton of probably-well-meaning kids just spamming 'Yeah!' images underneath and it all just seems grossly inappropriate.
Yup. And at best it’s just pointless spam that further clogs feeds and replies, as if the site really needed more of that. The whole logic behind it doesn’t make sense, either—people started doing it to posts they like since likes aren’t publicly viewable anymore, but, like…why? What is that accomplishing? Besides, the relevant parties that actually matter in this context—you and the authors of any posts you like—do still see your likes.

to be fair adults on twitter behave like totall jackasses, advocate for terrible things etc. etc to 'own the libs' so spamming of Yeahs is pretty down low on my list of things to worry about
Yeah but those people are intentionally awful, this is more kids clearly trying to show support towards someone/a good cause but in a very tacky/memetic way that undermines their positive intent.

There's a million worse things on twitter obviously but I think it's still fair to point out when something's bad before it grows out of control if that group has genuinely good intentions?

I didn't have a WiiU so I also used to think the Yeah! was a Famiboards thing until later when I saw how Miiverse worked.

Funny to see how Nintendo is a trend setter with this one.

If we lived in a fantasy world where moderation wasn't a nightmare to do, I genuinely think Miiverse could have been one of the greatest social media apps out there.

My first instinct was that the "Yeah!" thing that was going on on Twitter is ironic because there's no way any social media site would overthrow Twitter overnight, as much of a wishful thinking as it would be. I personally enjoyed Miiverse. It feels great to share the love for the games that I enjoyed with other people and seeing the Yeah!'s that pop from it, like say, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

But... I can't shake the feeling that a lot of what people enjoyed from it are the embarrassing posts like "why can't metroid crawl" or the post about the Marble Zone spring in Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). Which makes the want for Miiverse back questionable when put in that lens.

Again, it's great to see the love for Miiverse, but I can't help but feel that it's not a serious demand.

Thank you for reading.

Back
Top Bottom