• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Miiverse is spreading to Twitter

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
Ever since Twitter made Likes privates, many users on the gaming side have been replying to posts with, "Yeah!" to express their support on specific posts.

However, the trend seems to be gaining much more traction than expected, and it's even reaching non-gaming Twitter:

Last edited:
t4y2avdd.png

I like all the edits people are making to the Yeah symbol, they're super cute.

Miiverse was awesome back in ye olden days but it probably died for the best. There's an archive collection on archive.org if anyone wants to dig into looking at old Miiverse posts too, they got pretty much everything archived (its a total mess though). Used to be a site to view it cleanly but it sadly died earlier this year. If I had more interest/VPS space to build a viewer, I probably would.

Wait Famiboards did "Yeah!" inspired by Miiverse? That wasn't just the default functionality of this message board?

I think I need to go ly down

I appreciate the ability to Yeah posts on Fami.

It takes edge off discussions when you are in the middle of a discussion but still want to show you don't disagree completely a yeah goes a long way. Also sometimes you just agree with something and there Is no need to elaborate further.

Makes for a friendlier place. People are less on edge and can agree to disagree more easily

As a Nintendo fan who suffered through the Wii U era, it does slightly annoy me that the masses are adopting this with no idea of its origins. It feels like we've lost something unique to our shared culture. Oh well, I guess.

Maybe the popularity will convince Nintendo to bring it back if they have more robust social features on Switch 2

Apparently spamming Yeahs! as replies also messes up the algorithm, which is pretty funny!

Nintendo would do well to hurry up and get on Threads. Since his takeover and enabling of The Worst People, I’ve tried to move my followers and build my presence outside of Twelon Musty’s Dodo App.

As a Nintendo fan who suffered through the Wii U era, it does slightly annoy me that the masses are adopting this with no idea of its origins.

Miiverse was also on the 3DS, and the 3DS was plenty popular. No need to take this stance tbh

Maybe the popularity will convince Nintendo to bring it back if they have more robust social features on Switch 2

GQL4_7takAAYqfF

Don't give Elon ideas now... Last time Elon got interested in Nintendo he wanted Super Mario Kart installed in every Tesla, next he'll get the idea of turning X into XVerse

This just shows how much Nintendo has attention now (compared to the Wii U era)

Not trying to start anything, but the tweet from Nintendo announcing the direct today already has more impressions than Sony's tweet announcing their SoP and Microsoft's tweet announcing their showcase combined.

Nintendo has crazy social media engagement. Ironic for a company that is so backwards in their online offerings

Last edited:
Artists are having a ball with it. It’s some fun out of (another) shit situation.
Now I kinda want to make one that depicts an Inkling and says "Fresh!"

But since I'm not that good at drawing and I'm busy at my job, it could be a while before that gets made.

Wait Famiboards did "Yeah!" inspired by Miiverse? That wasn't just the default functionality of this message board?

I think I need to go ly down
As in Xenforo's default functionality? Nah, we explicitly added it (wasn't hard to do, we just changed the existing Like/Reaction image and text). It was there from the very beginning though.

Not trying to start anything, but the tweet from Nintendo announcing the direct today already has more impressions than Sony's tweet announcing their SoP and Microsoft's tweet announcing their showcase combined.

Nintendo has crazy social media engagement. Ironic for a company that is so backwards in their online offerings
You are not starting anything, u are telling the truth

Isn't this something from Famiboard? What is the relationship with Miiverse.
“Yeah!” was the equivalent of “likes” on Miiverse. It was Nintendo’s way of being more unique and inclusive in their own tacky-wholesome way.

Famiboards uses yeah’s as the equivalent of forum post likes/upvotes as a tribute to it, keeping with everything else being Nintendo themed in some way

Isn't this something from Famiboard? What is the relationship with Miiverse.
Miiverse's equivalent of "Likes" was "Yeah!".

Yeah was actually kind of unique, the framing changed depending on the original message, since every Miiverse post had an associated "mood" set by the poster.

If the "mood" set by the poster was "sad", the button would change to "Yeah...", I think angry was "YEAH.", and the mii of the account reacting to the post would be attached with the expression changed to the same emotion as the poster.

It was pretty neat, Fami's "+Yeah!" came from the default "happy" mood.

It was pretty smart to pick "Yeah" as the reaction because it's a lot more versatile as a word than "Yes" or "Like". Yeah can be sympathetic, in the right context.

Last edited:
As in Xenforo's default functionality? Nah, we explicitly added it (wasn't hard to do, we just changed the existing Like/Reaction image and text). It was there from the very beginning though.
I knew Xenforo had a like function (IB has it too), but until now I never even processed it was "yeahs" here and "likes" there.

Aside from the fact that the whole “Yeah!” trend on Twitter is kind of ridiculous (people are acting as if likes have been removed, when in reality their function and purpose is still the same as it ever was; it’s just the visibility that’s changed, and it’s nothing that other social media sites don’t already do), any attempt to copy the Miiverse “Yeah!” that fails to represent the author-set emotional tone of posts and all the corresponding reactions for them (including “Yeah…”, “Yeah!?”, and “Yeah♥︎”) is missing the whole point of the feature—which is the best thing Miiverse introduced to the social network formula, and I’m honestly shocked that other sites haven’t stolen it yet to my knowledge.

I’m honestly shocked that other sites haven’t stolen it yet to my knowledge.
Facebook has post moods and reactions including 😡 with special animations. The missing key feature of Miiverse is making the post mood the default reaction - a Facebook post that has 😡 as the mood should have 😡 as the default reaction instead of 👍

Quoted by: Tye
Facebook has post moods and reactions including 😡 with special animations. The missing key feature of Miiverse is making the post mood the default reaction - a Facebook post that has 😡 as the mood should have 😡 as the default reaction instead of 👍
It’s been ages since I’ve used Facebook; I knew that you could react with different emotions, but are you saying that they now allow a post’s author to set an emotion to their post, too? But even so, like you said, it doesn’t make the reactions to the post have the same emotional tone as the post itself. I personally think that the tone of reactions should be set by the author, not the readers—that puts the author more in control and helps mitigate bullying. Miiverse got it right and no one else bothered to copy it!

Elon being a dumbass goes without saying but I really think this Miiverse 'Yeah!' meme isn't a suitable replacement and has already gotten out of control. I've seen a lot of serious posts about current news events or someone going through something horrible met with a ton of probably-well-meaning kids just spamming 'Yeah!' images underneath and it all just seems grossly inappropriate.

Elon being a dumbass goes without saying but I really think this Miiverse 'Yeah!' meme isn't a suitable replacement and has already gotten out of control. I've seen a lot of serious posts about current news events or someone going through something horrible met with a ton of probably-well-meaning kids just spamming 'Yeah!' images underneath and it all just seems grossly inappropriate.
to be fair adults on twitter behave like totall jackasses, advocate for terrible things etc. etc to 'own the libs' so spamming of Yeahs is pretty down low on my list of things to worry about

Back
Top Bottom