• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Microsoft to Launch Mobile Game Store, Vying With Apple, Google

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him

Microsoft Corp. will launch its own mobile game store on the internet in July, creating an alternative to Apple Inc. and Google's app stores and their fees.

The store will launch with Microsoft's own games, including Candy Crush Saga, Xbox President Sarah Bond said Thursday at the Bloomberg Technology Summit. Later, Microsoft will open the store to other publishers.

Bond says the store is launching on the web, versus an app, so it's "accessible across all devices, all countries, no matter what, independent of the policies of closed ecosystem stores."

After killing off their mobile dev

Stop. Just stop. Why are you like this? You couldn't have even waited a week or two to drop this news? Or do you really think this would distract people from your current bad PR?

I mean, they have candy crush, might have half a chance to stick around to some degree, maybe not a huge success. I feel like it could be both an app and a website though. How expensive could it be maintain both? I can't see a lot of candy crushers jumping through hoops to log in safari or something.

Mobile is the major growth sector for Microsoft gaming so it's something to look at. Wonder whats happening with streaming, seems like it flatlined completely for xbox.

Given the target market isn't hardcore Tango lovers, I doubt their bad PR impacts this move at all.

If only microsoft had a say mobile platform. Seriously they have no commitment or long term plans. The next get rich quick scheme has to work or burn it all down.

A wild guess but I expect Halo MCC to be on this store. Maybe a fall release both for mobile and Switch.

You think they're planning anything like that with Halo when they set 343 on fire and Infinite just exists to sell battle passes?
Yeah, anything that can make them money. Saber (who helped with MCC) are port magicians, I don't think 343 will be involved in any form.

Not just Halo, I expect MS to open the floodgates on older games soon. We should see remastered collections of older MS games on plethora of platforms: Fable, Gears, Viva Piñata, Crackdown even Age of Empires...

Yeah, anything that can make them money. Saber (who helped with MCC) are port magicians, I don't think 343 will be involved in any form.

Not just Halo, I expect MS to open the floodgates on older games soon. We should see remastered collections of older MS games on plethora of platforms: Fable, Gears, Viva Piñata, Crackdown even Age of Empires...
Lol, I'll believe that when I see it.

How will candy crush players who own iPhones and droids ever even hear about the Microsoft mobile game store?

Does Microsoft have any plans for entertainment software other than chasing trends and buzz words?

I don't think King games, Candy Crush, are the type that would draw people to another store. Maybe Diablo Immortal. On Android I do have a third party app store installed. TapTap from the makers of Torchlight Infinite. I'm interested in Etheria Restart, TapTap owners are the developers of, which looks like it plays like Honkai Star Rail and you can pre-register on that store. They published Icey on Steam and Switch, that's how I learned of them

You think they're planning anything like that with Halo when they set 343 on fire and Infinite just exists to sell battle passes?
Very meaningless semantic but they dropped battle passes when the yditched seasonal updates. the operation passes are free.

Closed ecosystems are a bad thing, and I think Phil's commitment to "play Xbox games anywhere" is genuine. More competition is a good.

MS used to have their own mobile platform, but even as Satya stated, they killed it off too soon so MS has to play ball with Apple and Google's restrictions.

This thing will last a year at best. Also, great timing announcing a garbage useless mobile store after killing a bunch of legitimately good development teams. The more time passes the more I realize Microsoft never really understood gaming, they just thought they could buy their way into a market and make it fit their money-making schemes. They're hardly any better than Google was with Stadia.

Back
Top Bottom