• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Microsoft is collaborating with Nvidia to bring all of their games to the Geforce Now cloud gaming service

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
Microsoft is bringing its Xbox PC games to Nvidia’s GeForce Now cloud gaming service. Speaking at a press conference in Brussels today, Microsoft president Brad Smith announced the news as it seeks to convince EU regulators to approve its proposed Activision Blizzard acquisition.

“Microsoft will be bringing its Xbox games that play on PCs to Nvidia’s GeForce Now cloud gaming service,” said Smith in a press conference. “We will also bring all of Activision Blizzard’s titles including Call of Duty to GeForce Now.”
source

this is a far bigger deal than Nintendo getting the Call of Duty series on their consoles. as not only have Nintendo and Microsoft consistently collaborated before. but Geforce Now is a direct competitor in the cloud gaming market.
with them generally beating Microsoft's offering in every possible avenue (a free tier that lets you play 1-hour sessions, uses your library of games you already own off services such as Steam, has the lowest input latency.)

the only real issue is that it frequently requires you to manually login to each launcher to access your owned games. but they've fixed this for a few of them. such as with the Ubisoft Launcher as well as Fortnite (but only Fortnite, everything else on the Epic Games Store still requires the login process.)

i will much prefer to wait until gamepass add keyboard and mouse to their service.

OR AT LEAST SWITCH PRO CONTROLLER GODDAMN.

With this and Nintendo, it seems very performative to me... in a sense of sacrificing to get the deal done in the short term and rug pulling in ten years if i were to very cynically predict what happens

I wonder if this will work with Gamepass? I.e. it will bring the PC gamepass games to Cloud. That's missing from the offering right now.

This is amazing and a true show of good will. Sony's main argument was that Microsoft wanted it to stablish their cloud service as a monopoly, but this absolutely destroys that line of thinking.
a free tier that lets you play 1-hour sessions, uses your library of games you already own off services such as Steam, has the lowest input latency.
I just wish free users weren't treated as badly. Waiting queues are ridiculous, i have the app installed in my phone and i regularly try to play something, but the queues are a complete turn off. Sometimes i've had to wit a full hour, when i just wanted to do some quick deliveries in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

And, as far i know, queues are still there in the 10 € tier, just shortened.

With this and Nintendo, it seems very performative to me... in a sense of sacrificing to get the deal done in the short term and rug pulling in ten years if i were to very cynically predict what happens
I dunno, i think they're playing a different game than what we're used to, a polished and more opened version of what they tried back in the Xbox 360 era with Games For Windows Live. Getting extra revenue from publishing on other platforms.

This is amazing and a true show of good will. Sony's main argument was that Microsoft wanted it to stablish their cloud service as a monopoly, but this absolutely destroys that line of thinking.

They're making Sony the outlier. It's easy to think of the games market as Sony, Microsoft with Nintendo over in their own world. But there are a whole load of new players in at it Nvidia, Amazon, Steam, Nintendo (as a main player).

Yep they only did it with a couple of months remaining for a verdict in an unfavorable scenario for them. I'm curious if the regulators will care much about it, it makes Microsoft look more benevolent or something to the public but I'm not sure if "good intent" should factor into allowing an acquisition like that to happen 🤔

Gears 5, Grounded, Deathloop, and Pentiment are the first games added to the service.
gfn-thursday-5-25-nv-blog-1280x680-no-cta.jpg

NVIDIA and Microsoft have been working together to bring the first Xbox PC titles to the GeForce NOW library. With their gaming fueled by GeForce GPU servers in the cloud, members can access the best of Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda titles across nearly any device, including underpowered PCs, Macs, iOS and Android mobile devices, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, supported smart TVs and more.
blog post (Gears 5 was added last week.)

currently Steam-only, but they have plans to support copies bought on the Epic Games Store and Microsoft Store at some point in the future. the latter is particularly major considering the Play Anywhere feature means that you could buy these games on Xbox One/Series, then stream them to the cloud without paying for a Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

they've been doing a ton of other partnerships with various cloud services as well, but only Boosteroid currently is the only other one to have games getting added soon. (it's the same lineup as Geforce Now)

Yep they only did it with a couple of months remaining for a verdict in an unfavorable scenario for them. I'm curious if the regulators will care much about it, it makes Microsoft look more benevolent or something to the public but I'm not sure if "good intent" should factor into allowing an acquisition like that to happen 🤔
Only two regulators have made any stink about the deals with everyone else being fine with what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom