• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Microsoft announces the acquisition of Activision-Blizzard

Keep in mind that like the PR comments above about not taking COD away from PS, Phil saying that they might loosen the release schedule to improve working conditions and saying that they will allow developers to go back to neglected IP is the type of things regulators want to hear.

• We're not going to be anti-competitive
  • We're going to improve working conditions
  • We're going to improve variety of products and increase consumer choice
Activision had like 6 studios working on Call of Duty and with Toys for Bob were about to make it 7. The entire company was becoming a COD factory because that was what buttered their bread, and with the huge explosion in resources needed for games of COD's size they couldn't afford to have development studios dallying on other projects.

With the acqusition suddenly these studios do not need to have to produce a COD every single year to appease shareholders. Microsoft have other revenue streams which suddenly releases a lot of pressure. You could put Inifinity Ward and Treyarch on a four yearly cycle each, with a new COD releasing every two years. Meanwhile Raven Studios keeps Warzone chugging along in the meantime while offering support to the other two studios when it comes to crunch time. Then boom, you've freed up four whole studios to focus on other games.

I think scenarios like this is why the acqusition will go through. It's a bizarre scenario in that it could really benefit Activision's core studios, and that's before you consider the morale boost at not having an abusive gremlin at the wheel ruining their output, recruitment and reputation. It generally benefits both parties and there's still enough competition in the industry so that it doesn't count as monopolisation.

Though I would be surprised if there weren't some kind of layoffs, which will suck big time.

Just want to add, i really appreciate how level headed and polite this forum is being about this. This is certainly a controversial move that is likely to cause conflicting opinions, but everyone here has mostly been nothing respectful to each other, I checked the thread on resetera for comparison and it was so vicious, just people going at each other's throats for the most innocuous comments

Just want to add, i really appreciate how level headed and polite this forum is being about this. This is certainly a controversial move that is likely to cause conflicting opinions, but everyone here has mostly been nothing respectful to each other, I checked the thread on resetera for comparison and it was so vicious, just people going at each other's throats for the most innocuous comments
the move largely doesn't affect us so it's been a pretty detached discussion

once capcom or even sqaure-enix are on the chopping block things will get a lot worse

the move largely doesn't affect us so it's been a pretty detached discussion

once capcom or even sqaure-enix are on the chopping block things will get a lot worse
Even if that does happen (id prefer it it didnt) id hope everone here could still be respectful to each other

It'll be pretty funny if Microsoft spent a crapton of cash on acquisitions and still end up in 3rd place the next generation. Will they finally give up on their acquisition strategy or will they double down even more, until they swallowed up all the 3rd parties.

It'll be pretty funny if Microsoft spent a crapton of cash on acquisitions and still end up in 3rd place the next generation. Will they finally give up on their acquisition strategy or will they double down even more, until they swallowed up all the 3rd parties.

As others have said, it's a long-term play for them. They want GamePass on every possible outlet, so these acquisitions are less about winning this generation and more about forcing GamePass access to be a necessity for as many device-makers as possible.

Third place in what respect? They don't care about selling the most consoles, they want subscriptions more than anything.

As others have said, it's a long-term play for them. They want GamePass on every possible outlet, so these acquisitions are less about winning this generation and more about forcing GamePass access to be a necessity for as many device-makers as possible.
Yeah, Microsoft is playing the long game for sure. These moves will have minimal effects on current generation.

I'm referring to a hypothetical situation where, across the Ps6, Switch 2 & the entire Xbox userbase(console, pc, streaming), they still remain in 3rd place, what will be their reaction.

Yeah, Microsoft is playing the long game for sure. These moves will have minimal effects on current generation.

I'm referring to a hypothetical situation where, across the Ps6, Switch 2 & the entire Xbox userbase(console, pc, streaming), they still remain in 3rd place, what will be their reaction.

I think they will continue to do what they already do: Report active users instead of units sold, keep hyping themselves and their acquisitions and IP, and keep it moving.

I genuinely don't think it matters if they finish first, second, or third. They're going to keep making consoles until they don't have to anymore because GamePass is everywhere. Once they don't need to make Xboxes to push the service, that's when they might well retire the Xbox console line (though I'm sure they'll exploit the name in some way).

I don't think they'd care as long as they're seeing growth and solid revenue.

In a world where Nintendo released a Gamepass type service it would be absolutely fucking enormous.

Obviously that's the furthest thing from Nintendo's corporate culture right now, but as the industry changes shape in the future anything is possible.

Maybe being a Nintendo community with less of a dog in this fight helps keep people from getting too worked up about this.

Maybe being a Nintendo community with less of a dog in this fight helps keep people from getting too worked up about this.
yeah i think most people here don't care that much because the implications of this acquisition for nintendo aren't really anything earth shattering like it is for sony. sure actibliz has released a bunch of games for switch and we might miss out on the sequels (crash trilogy/4/ctr, spyro, diablo 2/3, etc) but it's not anything people won't get over.

yeah i think most people here don't care that much because the implications of this acquisition for nintendo aren't really anything earth shattering like it is for sony. sure actibliz has released a bunch of games for switch and we might miss out on the sequels (crash trilogy/4/ctr, spyro, diablo 2/3, etc) but it's not anything people won't get over.
Nintendo fans know that there always will be steady support from MS for Switch. We just got Banjo on switch for gods sake, nothing is impossible for us right now.

Nintendo fans know that there always will be steady support from MS for Switch. We just got Banjo on switch for gods sake, nothing is impossible for us right now.
That was purely a licensing issue though. Pouring time and money into a port is a different thing.

We got the ori games on switch, so not saying it will never happen. Just saying it’s not the same.

That was purely a licensing issue though. Pouring time and money into a port is a different thing.

We got the ori games on switch, so not saying it will never happen. Just saying it’s not the same.
Yeah, Ori, especially the sequel changed everything about MS on Switch. Both the devs and Phil said there will be no more MS games on Switch. we assumed at best they'd bring older and smaller stuff. But they blew us out of water by having a costly miracle port of a brand new, full MS owned IP. Ori was literally one of three MS published games that year. It just can't get any better than this.

I'm really curious about MS's next move on Switch. Ports of Xbox 360 Rare games should be in the realm of possibility, so should that recent Battletoads game.

This is the biggest news in the industry in like over 20 years honestly.

Not sure what to think of it either. On one hand it’ll be nice to see Blizzard managed properly again. But on the other, I can’t help but feel concerned about industry consolidation and how (or if) gaming will shift going forward. If everything turns purely subscription based, I’m not really about it.

Either way we’ll need to wait and see, but this will mark a huge shift in the gaming landscape.

This is the biggest news in the industry in like over 20 years honestly.

Not sure what to think of it either. On one hand it’ll be nice to see Blizzard managed properly again. But on the other, I can’t help but feel concerned about industry consolidation and how (or if) gaming will shift going forward. If everything turns purely subscription based, I’m not really about it.

Either way we’ll need to wait and see, but this will mark a huge shift in the gaming landscape.
I can’t speak for Microsofts future plans, but the existence of Gamepass on Xbox does not prevent anyone from buying games the traditional way still. And if you are in gamepass, you get a 10% discount on any game that is on gamepass.

I can’t speak for Microsofts future plans, but the existence of Gamepass on Xbox does not prevent anyone from buying games the traditional way still. And if you are in gamepass, you get a 10% discount on any game that is on gamepass.
Yeah, I know it is like that now. I’m just letting my mind run wild thinking about the next 10+ years as things change. It’s just a super interesting time in video games industry.

Ignoring the fact that it's going to be months of behind the scenes discussions on which games will even be still made or what changes they will undergo I could see Nintendo coming out of this better off than before.

Microsoft can and will port something's to the Switch, they aren't adverse to taking money from Nintendo fans. Will they set up dedicated teams to put out original content? Probably not, but they will likely port projects of upcoming Crashes or similar sized stuff. Just because a few million sales is a lot of million dollars without effecting their core AAA xbox/pc focus.

Activision Blizzard are sitting on a veritable goldmine of old IPs. If they can free up devs from the CoD/WoW treadmill, share these treasures equally among themselves and the other Microsoft studios, and the executives give them free reign to pick their future projects, who knows what they might come up with. It's one exciting aspect of this acquisition I'll admit.

Activision Blizzard are sitting on a veritable goldmine of old IPs. If they can free up devs from the CoD/WoW treadmill, share these treasures equally among themselves and the other Microsoft studios, and the executives give them free reign to pick their future projects, who knows what they might come up with. It's one exciting aspect of this acquisition I'll admit.
That's the thing. Lots of new hands on old properties.

and also lots of new faces for any Killer instinct that might come. If Microsoft could ape the Direct style with a new fighter revealed each quarter, they'd generate a lot of buzz for it.

I'd love to see a new MMO out of the WoW team, even though that's a very hard task in 2022. WoW2 that works on console and PC would be amazing.

I'd love to see a new MMO out of the WoW team, even though that's a very hard task in 2022. WoW2 that works on console and PC would be amazing.

I was just thinking that. NGL, if a WoW 2 came out 20 years later on Game Pass that would be the next few years for me probably.

Back
Top Bottom