• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Praise The Process

Metroid Prime 4 in the June 2024 Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dream scenario for the upcoming direct:
  • Host says something like, "let's talk about Metroid"
  • Metroid Zero Mission is now available for NSO expansion pass subscribers
  • Metroid Samus Returns is getting an enhanced switch port next year
  • Metroid Prime 2 + 3 are available on the eShop TODAY
  • Metroid Prime 4 trailer closes the segment with a release date for this fall
#TTP

#TTP
So instead of Farming Direct or JRPG Direct we'd have MetroiDirect

Hell yeah

#TTP
If all this happened, I would eat Soshi Abe's deep fried shoe.

acc.png

Here we go

Playing Metroid Planets right now and as someone who is extremely Zero Mission pilled this feels wrong. Still fun tho

I've seen a lot of people say that Metroid Prime 4 has to release on Switch because Nintendo announced it for the platform. But if they decided it would suit their strategy better to release it solely on the next console, couldn't they just do that and announce their original plan changed? Around here it seems that's not a possibility that's even able to be discussed and I wonder why the consensus is so firmly on a Switch release.

140M players. Nintendo could've scrapped all their work on BOTW and ignore the 13M people on Wii U, but they didn't. Also, it's a switch game from top to bottom, so would it showcase any Switch 2 capabilities?

Playing Metroid Planets right now and as someone who is extremely Zero Mission pilled this feels wrong. Still fun tho
Nice! Which version are you playing? 1.27g is pretty out of date at this point, but it contains Novus, which is a world based more around Super Metroid (it's still its own, original map though). Zebeth makes for a really solid remake of the original (more faithful than Zero Mission for the purists out there), but I much prefer Novus between the two. Highly recommend giving it a shot!
I've seen a lot of people say that Metroid Prime 4 has to release on Switch because Nintendo announced it for the platform. But if they decided it would suit their strategy better to release it solely on the next console, couldn't they just do that and announce their original plan changed? Around here it seems that's not a possibility that's even able to be discussed and I wonder why the consensus is so firmly on a Switch release.
My line of thought is simply that they're unlikely to have poured all this money into MP4, only to kneecap its sales by making it exclusive to the new console. Nothing to do with them having previously announced it for Switch, I just reckon it'd make logical sense to wanna sell to as many folks as possible. Metroid doesn't seem to me like the type of game that'd be good to try to sell people on a new console with, but I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

Nice! Which version are you playing? 1.27g is pretty out of date at this point, but it contains Novus, which is a world based more around Super Metroid (it's still its own, original map though). Zebeth makes for a really solid remake of the original (more faithful than Zero Mission for the purists out there), but I much prefer Novus between the two. Highly recommend giving it a shot!

My line of thought is simply that they're unlikely to have poured all this money into MP4, only to kneecap its sales by making it exclusive to the new console. Nothing to do with them having previously announced it for Switch, I just reckon it'd make logical sense to wanna sell to as many folks as possible. Metroid doesn't seem to me like the type of game that'd be good to try to sell people on a new console with, but I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

I think Metroid Prime 4 is the kind of hardcore game you want to push with new hardware.

1.33 for Zebeth currently, depending on how much I like it I'm definitely going to check out 1.27g as well though!

I mean, yes, there is like, a 1% chance it could happen, but it's extremely unlikely.

Has there ever been a case of Nintendo announcing a title for a platform, repeating for years that it's still on the way to that platform, then backtracking?

They could've done this with Breath of the Wild, considering how poorly the Wii U did and the removal of gamepad features. They didn't.

Has there ever been a case of Nintendo announcing a title for a platform, repeating for years that it's still on the way to that platform, then backtracking?

They could've done this with Breath of the Wild, considering how poorly the Wii U did and the removal of gamepad features. They didn't.
Pikmin 3 is the only example of this, but that's Miyamoto being Miyaamoto.

was meant for the Wii, but later transition for the Wii U, but when Miyamoto announced the game in E3 2008 i think he didn't specify which console it will be on.

Here's a quick read:

Also Prime 4 was revealed and was specify to be coming to Switch.
Like being a cross gen title seems the likeliest, but letting it arrive this holiday with a install base of 141M Switch owners and a period of time, when there's no competition in the market, with the exception of Awoved and Indiana jones, then i can see it reach heights and would give the game the chance of a GOTY.

Lastly giving the game a NG patch would be more than enough.

I have noticed in Nintendo's investor relations materials that Metroid Prime 4 keeps being included as a Switch release which says something.

I can't help but draw parallels between the development of Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Prime 1. Wasn't there originally going to be a N64 game? Retro Studios had a heap of prototypes for other games which never reached completion so they were tasked with a Metroid game to put them back on track. When they released it, it was for the Gamecube near the beginning of its life and was praised for its immersive visuals and stuff which they couldn't have achieved using the older N64. The original Metroid Prime sold well enough but not amazing, however it continues to be referenced to this day as one of the best games there is and Nintendo has profited from its positive reception. It also established Retro Studio's reputation for the next twenty years. I think with Metroid Prime 4 Nintendo has higher goals than merely selling millions of the game. I think it's a larger investment in reputation, for them as a publisher and Retro Studios as a developer.

Wasn't there originally going to be a N64 game?
Eh... technically? The story of Metroid 64 is basically:

Miyamoto: 'Sup, Sakamoto. Just curious, you planning on doing a 3D Metroid?
Sakamoto: Nah, my crew and I are good with just making Wario Land games on the good 'ol Game Boy. Besides, I don't think I could wrap my head around the Z-axis. Analog sticks are weird.
Miyamoto: Wanna ask [REDACTED] if they want to try?
Sakamoto: I don't see why not. Hey, [REDACTED], do you want--?
[REDACTED]: And try to follow-up the GOAT that is Super Metroid? HELL NO.
Sakamoto: Huh. Guess we aren't doing that, then.
Miyamoto: Guess we aren't. Well, I'm off to make Super Mario 64 2 for the Nintendo 64 DD.

EDIT: All of Retro's stuff was targeting the GameCube from Day 1. Making teen and adult-skewing games for the GCN was why Nintendo funded the studio to begin with, so we know they weren't involved with any potential N64 games.

Last edited:
IT'S BEAUTIFUL

I can't wait to stress about where this frighteningly expensive work of art will go in my apartment without risk of it toppling over and breaking :)
I feel you on this... more than you know! Now seems like a good time to say I recently ordered one as well. Just couldn't resist. It's expensive, but I've been allocating a little to a "Samus fund" each month since the reveal of the prototype back in November, in the hopes that some would have remained in stock all this time later (and they miraculously did). Me having built up that fund, coupled with the fact that I don't need to pay off the whole statue at once, means I can safely justify the purchase.

I don't own any resin statues, and I'm certainly not interested in any beyond this one. As a first time owner, I'm nervous, but excited. I missed out on F4F's Prime 2 Varia Suit, which I used to consider my "holy grail" Metroid collectible before this one took its place. Dream's not only has a better pose, but also a much better base.

I feel you on this... more than you know! Now seems like a good time to say I recently ordered one as well. Just couldn't resist. It's expensive, but I've been allocating a little to a "Samus fund" each month since the reveal of the prototype back in November, in the hopes that some would have remained in stock all this time later (and they miraculously did). Me having built up that fund, coupled with the fact that I don't need to pay off the whole statue at once, means I can safely justify the purchase.

I don't own any resin statues, and I'm certainly not interested in any beyond this one. As a first time owner, I'm nervous, but excited. I missed out on F4F's Prime 2 Varia Suit, which I used to consider my "holy grail" Metroid collectible before this one took its place. Dream's not only has a better pose, but also a much better base.
This is so awesome, congrats on your purchase!! It's always fun to have a little nest egg set aside for a dream buy :)

This is so awesome, congrats on your purchase!! It's always fun to have a little nest egg set aside for a dream buy :)
The two of us are now united in hoping we don't break this frighteningly expensive work of art 🥲 It'll be the costliest collectible I own! Makes my Samus figmas look like Happy Meal toys.
The dream of owning Nicole Kidman’s power suit died so that Samus might live
An impossible choice between two queens, but I had to be decisive.

Just popping back in to say I'm making slow, but steady progress in Metroid 2. I've been playing in bursts of roughly 25 minutes per day, which is why it's taking me so long to finish. To put it bluntly, it's not exactly the most compelling gaming experience I've ever had, but it also isn't egregiously exhausting to get through (like I used to mistakenly believe it would be, back when I was a teenager). It's instead linear and easygoing, with the only point of mild frustration so far being the inconsistency of the Space Jump. I can't seem to get the rhythm down! Super has this issue as well, though it doesn't feel as pronounced there.

There's a weird little side jaunt in AM2R that I don't really care for. It has you kill 2-3 rando Metroids in some Jim Bob detour in order to lower the liquid and progress to the next proper area, and now I know it was just being faithful to the original, since I just finished that part last night. Maybe they were concerned the game was too short, and felt it could use a bit of padding?

Just popping back in to say I'm making slow, but steady progress in Metroid 2. I've been playing in bursts of roughly 25 minutes per day, which is why it's taking me so long to finish. To put it bluntly, it's not exactly the most compelling gaming experience I've ever had, but it also isn't egregiously exhausting to get through (like I used to mistakenly believe it would be, back when I was a teenager). It's instead linear and easygoing, with the only point of mild frustration so far being the inconsistency of the Space Jump. I can't seem to get the rhythm down! Super has this issue as well, though it doesn't feel as pronounced there.

There's a weird little side jaunt in AM2R that I don't really care for. It has you kill 2-3 rando Metroids in some Jim Bob detour in order to lower the liquid and progress to the next proper area, and now I know it was just being faithful to the original, since I just finished that part last night. Maybe they were concerned the game was too short, and felt it could use a bit of padding?
From that description I’m very curious if you are almost done or right at the end haha. I kind of like they had some short ones to keep you on your toes.

I really hope the missing ships in Dread are as a result of the mystery Chozo instead of the X. The X were cool in fusion, but in Dread their only real gameplay integration was upgrading the difficulty of areas going into endgame.

0i6bjpsce5v71.png

The idea of having a rogue Chozo ally/rival/antagonist as a recurring character like Ridley is engaging, and I would much rather it than the X again.

i think one the challenges Nintendo will face with Metroid Prime 4, will be i rating, my guess here in Brazil, it will rated , no recomended for minor 14 to 16 years old(T), for context, Metroid Prime Remastered in Brazil was rated 12(that is equal to PG-13 in Brazil),

Quoted by: Joe
i think one the challenges Nintendo will face with Metroid Prime 4, will be i rating, my guess here in Brazil, it will rated , no recomended for minor 14 to 16 years old(T), for context, Metroid Prime Remastered in Brazil was rated 12(that is equal to PG-13 in Brazil),

I don't see any reason why Metroid Prime 4 would warrant a stricter rating, unless Necrolipe knows something we don't. 👀

I don't see any reason why Metroid Prime 4 would warrant a stricter rating, unless Necrolipe knows something we don't. 👀
Maybe we were onto something when we were talking about Samus swearing in the other thread :unsure:

I really hope the missing ships in Dread are as a result of the mystery Chozo instead of the X. The X were cool in fusion, but in Dread their only real gameplay integration was upgrading the difficulty of areas going into endgame.

0i6bjpsce5v71.png

The idea of having a rogue Chozo ally/rival/antagonist as a recurring character like Ridley is engaging, and I would much rather it than the X again.
I'm right there with you. Please let the X be gone for good!

I can't wait until we find out who the mystery figure is. I'm hoping it's a female Chozo. They have an Arm Cannon:

0i6bjpsce5v71.png

I'm right there with you. Please let the X be gone for good!

I can't wait until we find out who the mystery figure is. I'm hoping it's a female Chozo. They have an Arm Cannon:
Im out of the loop with lore, what does this mean? what am i seeing?

Im out of the loop with lore, what does this mean? what am i seeing?
Chozo Archives 08 in Metroid Dread depicts a mysterious figure standing on a structure in the distance, watching over the X infected Mawkin. They're an Arm Cannon wielder like Samus and Raven Beak, in contrast to the standard Chozo Soldiers we fight a few times in-game (none of which have Arm Cannons). We currently have no idea who this character is. People have speculated it's someone who'll be relevant in Metroid 6, much like how Quiet Robe and Raven Beak first appeared in the Chozo Memories of Samus Returns. Two ships are missing from Hanubia when Samus passes through the area on the way back to her own ship at the end of the game, so it's likely the mystery figure managed to escape ZDR's destruction, assuming they were still on the planet at the time.

i wouldn't be surprised if they finally go for an m rating, both the 2d games and prime play around with the horror inspiration so its only a matter of time assuming nintendo allows it, pretty sure the super metroid title screen would probably give it an m rating if they ever remake it without censoring.

I would say that the Prime sequels are both a fair bit more violent than Prime 1, so it wouldn’t be surprising for that to also be true of Prime 4. All three have some pretty graphic scans in text form, but Prime 2 has numerous Luminoth and GF Marine corpses and a cutscene of the Marines getting massacred, and Prime 3 has a voiced character get impaled onscreen, another screaming in agony as they die, several more Marines that can die during gameplay, Samus vomiting up Phazon, and a game over screen with pooling blood. Not enough for the ESRB to change ratings but I definitely could see someone thinking that the sequels were more extreme than the first. The most explicit part of Prime 1 would definitely be the Frigate Orpheon, but I think it doesn’t quite reach the others since the victim are all nameless Pirates.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom