• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Metroid Prime 4 or any Metroid game will never be announced at The Game Awards and we need to accept that

Joe

🦇
Pronouns
He/Him
For pretty much the entirety of the Switch's lifespan, I have had to endure people suspecting Metroid Prime 4 or another substantial Metroid game announcement would happen at that year's Game Awards. Literally every year from at least 2018 to present day has had people saying "maybe Metroid will be shown!" I have tuned into the entirety of many Game Awards presentations when I otherwise didn't care for just the glimmer of hope that I'd finally get to see Metroid Prime 4. It has never happened. Not so much as a Varia Suit helmet has ever shown up.

I still see people suspecting Prime 4 to make its debut at TGA 2023, and I need to put my foot down. Metroid is never going to be shown at The Game Awards in any capacity. The best we'll ever get is Metroid Dread being nominated for GOTY, and, if we're lucky, Metroid Prime 4 potentially getting a GOTY nomination in the future, whenever that game releases. As far as new announcements though, it's never going to happen. Historically, Nintendo's participation in The Game Awards has been moderate at best and nonexistent at worst. I've been burned way too many times by the false hope of my favorite series showing up to start believing it now.

I am so confident in my assertion that I will gladly make an avatar bet over it. If there's a consensus agreement on what I should change my avatar to in the unlikely event of Metroid Prime 4 (or any major Metroid announcement) being shown at The Game Awards this year, I will take you up on it.

We are asking you yet again to not be dismissive of someone else's opinion. This includes drive-by posts that add nothing to the conversation. – MissingNo., Party Sklar, Tangerine_Cookie
what an incredibly pointless thread

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to show up at The Game Awards. At this point, I don't see why they wouldn't just reveal it alongside the new hardware. The window for seeing it announced as just another Switch 1 game feels like it's passed. Let's keep being patient. #TTP

I mean, if it isn't shown there it's because it's either not ready to be shown, or it will be shown somewhere else. Not sure how anyone would conclude that Metroid is never showing up at the TGAs

Trust the process, let it set you free. If we keep thinking like this, the process will forsake us again

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to show up at The Game Awards. At this point, I don't see why they wouldn't just reveal it alongside the new hardware. The window for seeing it announced as just another Switch 1 game feels like it's passed. Let's keep being patient. #TTP
The only reason I could see them bucking the trend is if they're willing to just give us a CG teaser. Proper details and gameplay can wait for whenever Nintendo opts best, but they've shown from time to time that they're not so above everybody else when it comes to showing us something that gets us hype and then telling us to "shoo" until the proper Switch 2 showcase.

Either way, I'm not fussed.

For some reason I thought Metroid Prime 4 was announced at one of the VGAs. Maybe because it always gets brought up in anticipation of a trailer during the lead up to the VGAs. I can also just see Keighley's reaction, but I guess he just has sparsely varying levels of "Well, I guess we have that to look forward to now! Thanks Developers!" kind of reactions. So that just plugs right in.

I think Keighley should just show us some drawings he did of Samus and other ruminations of what Prime 4 might be like including an impressive watercolor using different flavored Mountain Dews. "So yeah, we also have that to look forward to. That was a world exclusive as I've never shown anyone those drawings before. Also shout out to Nintendo and Retro Studios! You have my contact info. Please! Just anything at all! My patience... sigh... we'll be right back."

Camera cuts to Reggie shrugging "not my problem" style.

Last edited:
IIRC Nintendo doesn't usually show a new trailer for an already announced game whenever they are at the Game Awards, they've shown things that wasn't announced before whether it be a brand new game or new DLC.

I really think expect the unexpected.

If it is ready, they would have announced it at the recent direct, i really think Nintendo enjoy breaking the Internet.

I'm actually thinking this will be our big surprise.

I'd like to add that we NEVER ever got anything substantial regarding Nintendo in the TGA. Like, wow, the Kongs have Fur now. Look at dat fur shading, DUDE ! Woa-aow, Holy YouTube Poop, Batma-am, it's totally worth putting a trailer for a tech that was already a thing in StarFox Adventures on GameCube in 2002 !

We have better chance seeing a new Turrican where the Spread Gun is replaced with a Poop gun that gives the player 50 € of eShop Credit per second than any important stuff about Nintendo.

Nintendo at TGAs seemed to be an initiative by Reggie, I don't think Nintendo's returned in any major capacity since Bowser took over. Anyway, prime 4 is a switch 2 showcase kind of title.

Last edited:
I don't expect it but also I like to believe in the impossible. Leave me to sink into the void of my unwavering faith.

Sounds more like OP needed this thread to come to terms of the same words he shared.

I mean, thinking MP4 would show up at TGA is not even a common thought.

I'd like to add that we NEVER ever got anything substantial regarding Nintendo in the TGA. Like, wow, the Kongs have Fur now. Look at dat fur shading, DUDE ! Woa-aow, Holy YouTube Poop, Batma-am, it's totally worth putting a trailer for a tech that was already a thing in StarFox Adventures on GameCube in 2002 !

We have better chance seeing a new Turrican where the Spread Gun is replaced with a Poop gun that gives the player 50 € of eShop Credit per second than any important stuff about Nintendo.

Sounds more like OP needed this thread to come to terms of the same words he shared.

I mean, thinking MP4 would show up at TGA is not even a common thought.
It has been common among Metroid circles for a while, though it has waned a bit in recent years. I think 2018 was the biggest year where people swore a Metroid announcement was imminent, and there had been hopes for a Trilogy announcement in the years following.

I admit in retrospect that this thread was super esoteric and comes across more serious than I actually intended it.

That first reply calling it "incredibly pointless" shook me up and made me leave the thread for a few hours

Trust the process, let it set you free. If we keep thinking like this, the process will forsake us again
We can trust, but never force. We'd do well to always remember that. 🙏
The only reason I could see them bucking the trend is if they're willing to just give us a CG teaser. Proper details and gameplay can wait for whenever Nintendo opts best, but they've shown from time to time that they're not so above everybody else when it comes to showing us something that gets us hype and then telling us to "shoo" until the proper Switch 2 showcase.

Either way, I'm not fussed.
A CG teaser would be sick. Even with no gameplay, we'd still get an idea of story, setting, etc.

I can't say it will "never" happen, but it does seem rather unlikely, especially at this point. If this was going to be a Switch only title it's likely we would have seen it in a direct by now. They're saving it for crossgen, and unless Nintendo talks about the Switch 2 before TGA (also highly unlikely), we're not going to see it this year. In the future, Nintendo might deem TGA an appropriate venue for a Metroid announcement. Afterall, we got a nice look at BotW there all those years ago, it just depends on how they choose to do their marketing. Unless Prime 4 is facing serious development troubles, I'm quite confident we're going to see it earlyish next year along with the Switch 2 reveal. Until then I will continue to #TTP

I've gotten to the point where I don't expect anything period from the game awards. Past 3 years have been so boring.

That first reply calling it "incredibly pointless" shook me up and made me leave the thread for a few hours
Sorry Joe. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm nearly always up for Metroid threads, no matter how minor the subject, or how well-tread the ground.

e6f

See you in The Game Awards thread.

Yeah you’re totally right!

Metroid Prime 4 was already announced almost 7 years ago.

Can’t wait for the TGA trailer, though.

Back
Top Bottom