• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Beyond - Pre-Release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: New Trailer)

I feel like a lot of games of that gen, not just Wii games, had way too much bloom for my personal comfort (my eyes are fairly light-sensitive, so my first order of business when buying a new game at the time was to immediately go to settings and turn off bloom if such an option existed). Still quite liked Prime 3's art direction and world design despite that. SkyTown is great, although if I had to compare the two I think I prefer Sanctuary Fortress.

Sanctuary Fortress and Skytown are my two favorite environments not just in the Prime series, but in all of gaming. It's hard for me to decide which one reigns ultimate supreme though. I want to see them get remastered a la Prime 1 so bad.

Well technically it had succes when it went from 2D to 3D as the 2D games were falling off in sales, but the first Prime almost reached the numbers the original Metroid did.

Prime 1 outsold the original Metroid

Seriously though I got the feeling we are in for some really freaking awesome worlds in Prime 4; the team not only includes artists from the previous Prime games but also from the likes of the Demons Souls remake, Mirror's Edge, God of War, Naughty Dog, Epic Mickey, (I know the game was controversial but its environment design was top notch) Halo, Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

The lineup of artistic and technical talent on board this one is seriously impressive, and by the time it's out they'll have had 6+ years to cook. It's gonna be amazing.

Seriously though I got the feeling we are in for some really freaking awesome worlds in Prime 4; the team not only includes artists from the previous Prime games but also from the likes of the Demons Souls remake, Mirror's Edge, God of War, Naughty Dog, Epic Mickey, (I know the game was controversial but its environment design was top notch) Halo, Shadow of the Tomb Raider...

The lineup of artistic and technical talent on board this one is seriously impressive, and by the time it's out they'll have had 6+ years to cook. It's gonna be amazing.

A lot of the Epic Mickey folk actually worked on Tropical Freeze. Retro went on a mini hiring spree of Junction Point folk when they shut down.

Not sure how many others are with me on this, but I'm hoping for some cool fanservice continuity lore. Just some "OMG I KNOW THAT THING!!!" bullshit. Not a lot, mind you! Only a little bit, tastefully sprinkled in as a callback to the previous games. I wanna know that the Luminoth are thriving, maybe even get to talk to U-Mos again. I wanna know that Admiral Dane is okay, surely decorated for his valor during the Phazon crisis.

"But Aurc, that would make the universe feel small!"

To that I say: no it wouldn't. If 98% of the game consists of brand new shit (which it will), we definitely have room for some U-Mos and Admiral Dane goodness. I refuse to hear otherwise...

Not sure how many others are with me on this, but I'm hoping for some cool fanservice continuity lore. Just some "OMG I KNOW THAT THING!!!" bullshit. Not a lot, mind you! Only a little bit, tastefully sprinkled in as a callback to the previous games. I wanna know that the Luminoth are thriving, maybe even get to talk to U-Mos again. I wanna know that Admiral Dane is okay, surely decorated for his valor during the Phazon crisis.

"But Aurc, that would make the universe feel small!"

To that I say: no it wouldn't. If 98% of the game consists of brand new shit (which it will), we definitely have room for some U-Mos and Admiral Dane goodness. I refuse to hear otherwise...
I think stuff like this would be fine, and actually should be encouraged, yeah.

Again, the argument about the universe being too small mostly comes from Sakamoto's designs that often had us revisit and/or reference the same planets again. Fight the same threats again (Another Omega Metroid in Fusion? Another Metroid Queen in Other M?). Or, as we agreed, having Mr. Ashkar Behek be responsible for pretty much all the series' events up to now, including, but not limited to, be yet another genetic donor for why Samus is the way she is.

Even though the Prime side has also liked to use the trope of "the space birds did this", at the very least, that's more for the sake of thematic continuation of the Chozo's role of being explorers and mentors to other races. It also helps grow the setting at the same time. Getting similarly looped in with how old friends are doing would also be great.

After all...now we got Sylux, too, who has their own stake in things, and is now chilling with some Mochtroids. Inspiring a bit of wonder and mystery for how these old things got looped together is a good sign.

I think stuff like this would be fine, and actually should be encouraged, yeah.

Again, the argument about the universe being too small mostly comes from Sakamoto's designs that often had us revisit and/or reference the same planets again. Fight the same threats again (Another Omega Metroid in Fusion? Another Metroid Queen in Other M?). Or, as we agreed, having Mr. Ashkar Behek be responsible for pretty much all the series' events up to now, including, but not limited to, be yet another genetic donor for why Samus is the way she is.

Even though the Prime side has also liked to use the trope of "the space birds did this", at the very least, that's more for the sake of thematic continuation of the Chozo's role of being explorers and mentors to other races. It also helps grow the setting at the same time. Getting similarly looped in with how old friends are doing would also be great.

After all...now we got Sylux, too, who has their own stake in things, and is now chilling with some Mochtroids. Inspiring a bit of wonder and mystery for how these old things got looped together is a good sign.
As much as the 2D games have reused planets/plot hooks/etc., the Prime series definitely isn't immune. Not just in terms of 'Space Birds were here too!', but it has perhaps the most egregious use of a Samus clone in Dark Samus (who is ludicrously, actually referred to as Dark Samus by characters having serious conversations in Samus's earshot). And Dark Samus is the overarching villain of the first Prime trilogy whose goal is little more than "Infect as much of the galaxy with Phazon as possible."

Metroid Prime
MetroidPrimeRemastered-ImpactCrater10.png

Petroid Mine
metroid-prime-4-beyond-sylux.large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom