• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

I don't know if this has been pointed out by anyone, but during the Morph Ball sequence there's a blink-and-you'll-miss glimpse of an Energy Tank being blocked out by ventilation grates. Either the game will start giving you them early (Prime 3 had one already at the GFS Olympus) or we'll be returning to this area later in the game.

p3VglCz.png
from a gameplay perspective, I could kinda see them wanting to make sure an E tank is unmissable early on just to make sure any newcomers know what it is/what it does/why they should be making a point of finding more

Sylux is going to end up being another version of Samus that exists Beyond the confines of space and time. A Samus from a timeline where the Chozo were never brought to near extinction and continued their advancements in technology, eventually creating a machine that allowed for time travel and the traversal of multiple universes. Sylux is just an alter-ego to hide her true twin identity from Samus and others.
I’d be pretty disappointed if Sylux is another Samus clone for the third time tbh. I’d rather they be a thematic copy of Samus than a literal one. Like a similarly traumatizing childhood without the Chozo being parent figures or something.

from a gameplay perspective, I could kinda see them wanting to make sure an E tank is unmissable early on just to make sure any newcomers know what it is/what it does/why they should be making a point of finding more
You see before the energy tank is a fan block. Given Samus has bombs at this time, I think you have to bomb the fan to destroy it then you have no choice but to get the energy tank. In the previous room there was a pre-destroyed fan block that Samus rolls through.

I don't know if this has been pointed out by anyone, but during the Morph Ball sequence there's a blink-and-you'll-miss glimpse of an Energy Tank being blocked out by ventilation grates. Either the game will start giving you them early (Prime 3 had one already at the GFS Olympus) or we'll be returning to this area later in the game.

p3VglCz.png

Good catch. I’m betting we return here.

Also this is the part of the trailer that I found a bit jarring. Something about the soldiers in the back, and the missiles with the pirates coming out felt very dated. Nintendo has some exceptional animation work in other titles, such as LM3 and Zelda, and Tropical Freeze animations were no slouch. I know the game isn’t coming out until next year, but this is how they decided to show it off.

That's what I thought, too. I'm not always a fan of timeline-based story arcs, I find it a bit overused, but if there's one fictional universe that would fully justify this, it's Metroid.
If anything it's tame compared to a Leviathan splitting a planet into two dimensions

Reposting this from the other MP4 thread and extending some of it to Sylux.

I don't know how well it would be handled, and yeah probably a bit much for Metroid, but I hope they make Sylux a sympathetic villain. We've had plenty of megalomaniacs, dispassionate consumers and agents of chaos. A compelling villain that you can say "they've kinda got a point" would be impressive for Metroid.
That was supposed to be MB, but no one wants to remember that.

I wonder if Sylux has been time traveling because then you can do whatever the hell you want with the story lol.
Sylux being a "hero of time" like figure, with an antihero vibe, would be an interesting snarl.

Maybe the Federation aren't true bastards, yet. But say denizens of Cyclosis, possessing the means to travel through time, know fully they could slide into galaxy-spanning fascism, if left unchecked. So, they have a "hero" willing to prevent that future from happening...even if it means going against history's greatest hero in Samus Aran...

I think Sylux being an antihero would be a great idea. It would be a sidestep from the "absolute evil" we usually get from Metroid. They're just working with the pirates as a means to an end.

Also, what do you guys think of Prime 4 adding a melee attack like she has in the 2D games? You get an upgrade that's like a wrist blade like:
wristblade_by_cathats_dewzibk-fullview.jpg

And you can do like quick dashes with it like how Halo's energy sword lets you dash attack.
Or they could go full Doom and give her a giant Metroid sword.

I think Sylux being an antihero would be a great idea. It would be a sidestep from the "absolute evil" we usually get from Metroid. They're just working with the pirates as a means to an end.
I doubt they'd lean into fan memes but the whole thing of Sylux not being evil but instead being pure spite and sass would be great. I mean look at that entrance! The way Sylux struts in and hams up the camera! That's not evil, that's an angry theater kid who grew up and found confidence.

Also, what do you guys think of Prime 4 adding a melee attack like she has in the 2D games? You get an upgrade that's like a wrist blade like:
wristblade_by_cathats_dewzibk-fullview.jpg

And you can do like quick dashes with it like how Halo's energy sword lets you dash attack.
Or they could go full Doom and give her a giant Metroid sword.
I don't know if a wrist blade is necessarily how I'd want it done, but I do think introducing some kind of melee option makes sense to change up the "lock on, strafe, mash the fire button" combat. Parrying has kinda become a core part of the 2D games at this point imo, and Prime 3 already played around with some non-shooting combat with the grapple beam

so while I don't think they need to go full "Doom 2016-style glory kills", some kind of counter/close-quarters offensive move, or maybe some kind of "finisher" that rewards you with extra energy/missile drops wouldn't necessarily feel super out of place to me

the only way I could see that antihero side possible is if they went into the more morally gray parts of the federation from Fusion and Other M and the Prime games really don't do that

I hope that Sylux isn't the only villain, but we'll also fight a huge parasitic entity, just like Dark Samus and Ridley were accompanied by Emperor Ing and Metroid Prime.

The other thing I would dig about Sylux being an antihero is that maybe them being more of a "morally gray" character would allow Sylux to do things that Nintendo wouldn't let Samus being depicted doing.

Like maybe being an actual bounty hunter, instead of the "exclusively contracted mercenary" that Samus pretty much is.

Can't wait for the intense scene of Sylux' reflection in Samus' visor be followed up by a record scratch and her going "Wait, who are you again?"

Was struck by a thought, and I don't know what would be funnier:

Villain route with Sylux talking a lot and going on all these monologues, only to be completely stonewalled by Samus just refusing to give them the satisfaction of any sort of verbal response

Or Antihero route, they're both equally silent only for it to turn out half their conflict could have been completely avoided if they bothered to communicate with each other even slightly

Was struck by a thought, and I don't know what would be funnier:

Villain route with Sylux talking a lot and going on all these monologues, only to be completely stonewalled by Samus just refusing to give them the satisfaction of any sort of verbal response

Or Antihero route, they're both equally silent only for it to turn out half their conflict could have been completely avoided if they bothered to communicate with each other even slightly
Skullface route: Sylux corners Samus while giving a ten-minute monologue that was intended for someone else, and then comedically dies by third-party intervention in an overwrought cutscene.

Back
Top Bottom