• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

I think the pixel-peeping part of the visual criticism is whatever. I don't care if the space pirates' farts are volumetric or what have you. I hope the game has a high quality IQ on Switch 2, and if it does that will do me just fine.

But the gameplay.... Damn, I remember being back in my CS degree, almost 20 years ago, and spending evenings with friends coming up with ideas with how MP combat could improve for Metroid Prime 3 (which wasn't yet released at that time - and we were hyped!) We would then try to prototype some shit (with terrible results as we had no artists / animators, just coders lol - and our experience was mostly limited to 2d Metal Slug clones lol), but we had a TON of ideas. Not for new items, but for how the basic flow and gamefeel of combat could be improved - as we all agreed this was the main area the first two games could be massively improved.

From grappling hook attacks (which kind of made it into Prime 3!) to stun/interrupt windows on enemy attacks to active/passive shielding for samus (or enemies) to an adrenaline bullet-time feature (lol) a different base power beam - but most of all, by far - to a far different hit reaction, animation system and AI for enemies.

So, I guess I've had in my head ideas for what an evolution of Prime combat could look like for almost 20 years. That's two decades, damn. And these paid game designers at Retro would have 1000x the imagination and talent than me and my dumb classmates in their little fingers. Since then we've seen tons of successful first person shooters and first person adventures too with tons of new ideas. So for it to look almost identical when it finally gets re-revealed all these years later is just crazy to me from a game design perspective. I really, truly didn't anticipate that to be the case.

I didn't expect the shooting and moving to look exactly like the first 3 prime games. Not after 17 years. Seems like everyone else here did. Maybe I'm the fool, but I am really, really surprised. I was expecting this to be no more similar to MP3 than, say, BotW is to Twilight Princess.

The part starting at 1.08 in the trailer is the biggest offender by far, but even this tiny clip shows what I'm talking about. Like, ignore the nice environmental art/textures and the background action. Just look at the enemies here. How they stand there. How they react to hits. The lame attempt at a side-dodge one makes. How the first just keels over having eaten enough pac-pellets. It looks like what it is - game design circa 2002. Yes, this is likely the very opening of the game and the most basic that combat (or enemies) will be, but it suggests that the core basics of combat will function the same as prior Prime games, where they were never good enough. And it's 20 years later. Gah.

And while the rest of the game (morph ball gameplay, exploration, new items / abilities) is all hidden for now, the vibe of the trailer suggests it will be similarly conservative. I won't mind that as much, because those parts of the game were always brilliant. But it will still be disappointing if it's the case.

I know people think of negative posts in pre-release hype threads as a form of shitting in the punch bowl, so I'll leave it at this.

The last thing I find myself saying about a Metroid game is "I need to see more of this game about exploring things on your own that I also know I'm already going to like anyway based on the studio's past and overall pedigree", so the fact that this teaser was light on content doesn't mean shit to me, man. Spill the beans on whatever gimmick the game has in a future trailer but the less I see relative to however big this game is, is perfectly fine for me.
Honestly it has a lot of valuable information.
1. This is a true “Metroid Prime 4” in terms of tone.
2. This is the sequel to Metroid Prime 3 in terms of story.
3. This is a true “Metroid Prime 4” in terms of gameplay.
4. The game looks gorgeous.

The series has been gone for almost 15 years so it is good to re-establish that this will pick things up where they left off.

Yeah, the lack of environmental interaction or any feedback whatsoever from the Space Pirates is easily the most alarming part of this trailer. It just looks so dated.

I don't know how this game was in development for so long and has enemy feedback like this.

It unfortunately feels like a game published by Microsoft where development just takes ages and by the end it's like... That's it? But it's so dated?

After rewatching the trailer many times and reading the comments, I feel ready to share my thoughts.

Look, I partially understand the complaints. It looks graphically impressive for a 60fps Switch game, but it isn't that different from Prime Remastered. The section showed also wasn't the most exciting thing in the world, is something that almost could be extracted from a remastered Metroid Prime 3. Combat looks slightly improved but not fundamentally changed and all the gameplay mechanics shown are present in all the other Metroid Prime games. Nothing new there. It wasn't the most impressive way to show the game and I'm not fond on that section. But then, you have that beautiful landscape, you have that Prime 1 tier music, and suddendly that little dissappointment becomes a promise of what's to come.

Anyone can have their own likings and love this series for different reasons, but I don't understand some of the extreme pessimism I've seen. The main reason I wanted Metroid Prime to return so bad (and I'm sure this is the case for many people) is because...there hasn't been anything like it in the market since Metroid Prime 3 released, as simple as that. There are some games that may take some inspiration here and there, like Prey, but nothing comes close to the experience Metroid Prime is capable to offer. A 3D first-person metroidvania focused on exploration, where the biomes, the creatures and the ambience are the main protagonists?That's not common, and much less with the level ox excellence of MP. So, when I play an MP game, what I am looking for is:

1) God tier level design, enjoyable backtraging and scenaries filled with secrets.
2) Good progression, with constant and fun upgrades that open new paths to which I must find my own way.
3) Beautiful and inmersive environments filled with alien life and a coherent ecosystem which I can learn from.
4) Excellent and inmersive Metroid style music.

Among of all the things on that list, we've only seen a VERY little tease of 3) and 4), and they are promising. But we know absolutely nothing about 1) and 2), which are the core of the Metroid Prime experience. How can someone say so definitive things about the game ignoring those aspects?If MP4 ends up having the most clever level design in history, great powerups, open and impresive environments or the best OST in the series, how important is this teaser going to be?Absolutely zero. And I don't know how someone who in theory loves the core aspects of Metroid Prime can be so upset about a teaser that showed none of them. It's better to wait a little more (which won't be difficult after so much time) to judge and not reach weird conclusions about the game being outdated, because even the first Metroid Prime isn't outdated in many aspects that absolutely no one has been able to deliver again.

This game is probably the most expensive game ever made by Nintendo just by development time*salaries of people living in Austin.

Probably high budget for a Nintendo game sure, but most Nintendo games probably don't even have a $50 million dollar budget.

It's going to be interesting because we're reaching the point for Nintendo games where the hardware isn't so much the issue.

I've looked at a few different reaction videos and every one of them has been in awe of the graphics and said something along the lines of "this is a Switch 1 game???"

I feel like the "the graphics look bad" and "the graphics look like Prime 3" crowd is almost entirely situated in here.
I'm sorry but if you think this looks like prime 3, you need to see your optometrist

I can't stop thinking about this game, and I know I'm far from alone X) I loved what I saw so much and want to see so much more. The Prime series is truly special, and I'm glad the "4" is still there along with Sylux, very cool to see continuity still happening despite all these years.

I will remember this thread as the first one where I found people asking for a CGI trailer instead of gameplay lol.

TBH, I am pretty shocked that Metaphor is launching this year. It looks like absolute shit and I'm shocked that this was apparently the end goal. I thought it was just really rough and early, but apparently they just can't produce better visual quality than that.
You're only shocked because you decided to ignore Atlus telling you overtly the game was launching this year. They reconfirmed it like 3 times.

A classic case of you know better and everyone else, even the publisher, is wrong.
I'm just saying I would be pretty surprised if Prime 4 launches before June 2025. This doesn't look like a game that is complete and could launch in November is what I'm saying.
I have no idea when it is coming out but 2025 is not far off even if it was holiday. 18 months from first reveal to release is not a long amount of time for a game.

Even June 2025 still leaves 1 year before going gold. That's tons of polish time considering it already is graphically one of the most impressive looking Switch titles.

Slightly off topic... by which I mean not talking about the graphics... it does seem like Nintendo has been doing really well by Metroid lately. Dread was built on a foundation of giving a smaller studio Samus Returns, them making something fun and marketable and right for the platform and being rewarded with the next rung on the ladder. Prime 4 seems like more of the same strategy and thankfully seems to have worked out-- the original team wasn't delivering so Nintendo had the patience to regroup and by all evidence it seems to be shaping up that Retro's current iteration can make something that reliably looks and feels like Metroid Prime.

Its a really good sign that Nintendo seems to be trusting in things that aren't boring slam dunks... the remake of Super Mario RPG, re-release of TTYD...

And underestimating the Switch 1 power too. Metroid Prime 4 it’s beautiful but it’s obviously a switch 1 game.

Sometimes I think a lot of people have played only mortal kombat 1 on switch.

And then you get the opposite where they overestimate the power of the Switch and say that the Switch should be capable of pushing out visuals on par with the PS5. Retro Studios are already turning water into wine, but somehow they're still expecting Retro to turn water into a 1945 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti.

I feel like people were expecting prime 4 to have an insane showcase to build on its near decade of build up, but the devs just saw this as another reveal trailer, and when you look at it through that lens I think it’s actually a really great trailer. Yeah they didn’t have any massive new mechanics or power ups or locations, but I really don’t think that’s a bad thing when the game is likely the better part of a year away, and what the did show was still really exciting. Plus, when has a Metroid game ever shown all its cards in the beginning. Usually they have Samus with some basic abilities at the start then have her build up her arsenal as the game progresses, and I don’t see why that wouldn’t be the case here

I think the pixel-peeping part of the visual criticism is whatever. I don't care if the space pirates' farts are volumetric or what have you. I hope the game has a high quality IQ on Switch 2, and if it does that will do me just fine.

But the gameplay.... Damn, I remember being back in my CS degree, almost 20 years ago, and spending evenings with friends coming up with ideas with how MP combat could improve for Metroid Prime 3 (which wasn't yet released at that time - and we were hyped!) We would then try to prototype some shit (with terrible results as we had no artists / animators, just coders lol - and our experience was mostly limited to 2d Metal Slug clones lol), but we had a TON of ideas. Not for new items, but for how the basic flow and gamefeel of combat could be improved - as we all agreed this was the main area the first two games could be massively improved.
tbh I don't really like Prime's shooting gameplay. It's rather slow and this didn't show enough for me to think it's changed too much. I'm still very curious.

Am i seeing things or does the Prime 4 logo look alot like a black hole?

Also the name Beyond.... Maybe we strand somewhere because we somehow get sucked into a black hole. Maybe where the "2025" is being displayed is where we actually end up.

Black-Hole.jpg
Prime-4-Beyond-Logo.jpg

From grappling hook attacks (which kind of made it into Prime 3!) to stun/interrupt windows on enemy attacks to active/passive shielding for samus (or enemies) to an adrenaline bullet-time feature (lol) a different base power beam - but most of all, by far - to a far different hit reaction, animation system and AI for enemies.

So, I guess I've had in my head ideas for what an evolution of Prime combat could look like for almost 20 years. That's two decades, damn. And these paid game designers at Retro would have 1000x the imagination and talent than me and my dumb classmates in their little fingers. Since then we've seen tons of successful first person shooters and first person adventures too with tons of new ideas. So for it to look almost identical when it finally gets re-revealed all these years later is just crazy to me from a game design perspective. I really, truly didn't anticipate that to be the case.

I didn't expect the shooting and moving to look exactly like the first 3 prime games. Not after 17 years. Seems like everyone else here did. Maybe I'm the fool, but I am really, really surprised. I was expecting this to be no more similar to MP3 than, say, BotW is to Twilight Princess.

The part starting at 1.08 in the trailer is the biggest offender by far, but even this tiny clip shows what I'm talking about. Like, ignore the nice environmental art/textures and the background action. Just look at the enemies here. How they stand there. How they react to hits. The lame attempt at a side-dodge one makes. How the first just keels over having eaten enough pac-pellets. It looks like what it is - game design circa 2002. Yes, this is likely the very opening of the game and the most basic that combat (or enemies) will be, but it suggests that the core basics of combat will function the same as prior Prime games, where they were never good enough. And it's 20 years later. Gah.

And while the rest of the game (morph ball gameplay, exploration, new items / abilities) is all hidden for now, the vibe of the trailer suggests it will be similarly conservative. I won't mind that as much, because those parts of the game were always brilliant. But it will still be disappointing if it's the case.

I know people think of negative posts in pre-release hype threads as a form of shitting in the punch bowl, so I'll leave it at this.
I totally get where you’re coming from, but this is one of the parts I’m excited about. The best Metroid games for me make you feel vulnerable, I wouldn’t call any of them action games. I’m glad they’re not trying to turn this into just another action FPS, or a Doom 2016 clone. Dread had me worried it would be like the latter.

Family finally sleeping

Me: Time to pick up something tasty, a good drink and read som fami discourse about Prime 4!
Me: Enters Prime 4 thread.

Flabbergasted

I guess I'll wait a day or so before visiting the thread again and read another thread about another game tonight :p

Also the name Beyond.... Maybe we strand somewhere because we somehow get sucked into a black hole. Maybe where the "2025" is being displayed is where we actually end up.

Black-Hole.jpg
Prime-4-Beyond-Logo.jpg

NVM already has been discussed. The Threads are just moving too fast for me to keep up :oops:

Black-Hole.jpg
Prime-4-Beyond-Logo.jpg
I think it's definitely supposed to look like a black hole, I also like the idea that it's supposed to be a Stargate. You can see that Samus arrives in what I assume to be the first main area from a blue light

I've looked at a few different reaction videos and every one of them has been in awe of the graphics and said something along the lines of "this is a Switch 1 game???"

I feel like the "the graphics look bad" and "the graphics look like Prime 3" crowd is almost entirely situated in here.

And ERA. It's worse over there.

BTW, is there a link to the upload without the YT compression?

MP4 reaction is probably going onto my list of imaginary controversies of the pre launch Switch 2

Eh let people go through the motions for whatever reason. I'll take it over the Metroid Prime Federation Force discourse several years ago...

Yeah I’m getting whiplash by reading the reaction to metroid prime 4 here and from my friends and on the rest of the internet.
I’m going from reading stuff like “this game looks impossibly good and it’s not running on switch or the base switch will cry in pain trying to run this game” to “this game looks bad and it feels like we’re still stuck on the gamecube”.

So I noticed something interesting about the UI in the trailer:
MP4-missile-select.png

This is on the lower left corner of the HUD, where the visor select used to be, and there's just an ammo indicator on the lower right where the beam selector used to be. I'm guessing this game has multiple swappable missile types and/or subweapons, and they're likely bringing back beam stacking from prime 3.

I feel like people were expecting prime 4 to have an insane showcase to build on its near decade of build up, but the devs just saw this as another reveal trailer, and when you look at it through that lens I think it’s actually a really great trailer. Yeah they didn’t have any massive new mechanics or power ups or locations, but I really don’t think that’s a bad thing when the game is likely the better part of a year away, and what the did show was still really exciting. Plus, when has a Metroid game ever shown all its cards in the beginning. Usually they have Samus with some basic abilities at the start then have her build up her arsenal as the game progresses, and I don’t see why that wouldn’t be the case here

I think as a reveal trailer it's pretty bad as it (hopefully) gives zero impression about Prime 4 is about. This is a very generic action setpiece from a series that largely struggles with action setpieces and does not focus on it. The few seconds at the end are the only vague hint towards what Metroid Prime has generally been about.

I think as a reveal trailer it's pretty bad as it (hopefully) gives zero impression about Prime 4 is about. This is a very generic action setpiece from a series that largely struggles with action setpieces and does not focus on it. The few seconds at the end are the only vague hint towards what Metroid Prime has generally been about.
The last shot is pretty great

So I noticed something interesting about the UI in the trailer:
MP4-missile-select.png

This is on the lower left corner of the HUD, where the visor select used to be, and there's just an ammo indicator on the lower right where the beam selector used to be. I'm guessing this game has multiple swappable missile types and/or subweapons, and they're likely bringing back beam stacking from prime 3.

Yeah I do think they're going to double down on beam stacking in Prime 4. Maybe they'll allow us to mix and match them like in Super?

yeah the rest of the internet has been positive, and it is the 2nd most viewed trailer of the direct
I've seen more negative reactions here and on Resetera than on other websites. Even 4chan has more positive reactions, and that is the most negative website on the internet.

Yeah, it does look dated. But it's been so long since we've had a proper game in the franchise that I think it's perfectly fine...

Then Prime 5 on Switch can try something else.

I don't suspect this game to be very challenging combat wise based on the core mechanic being unchanged but I do think we've yet to see what the puzzle mechanics and exploration mechanics are etc. These will provide just enough of a twist on the classic formula to be enjoyable.

Remember Metroid excels more at its world exploration design and puzzle design.

Last edited:
It tells you that it’s a real Metroid Prime game. Considering the series absence that’s more important than like… the plot.

im pretty excited with what we've seem, right now it seems they're saving a lot of info for later which is fine. the only thing a little disappointing is it looks like the combat really isn't innovating at all. like the 2d titles changed quite a bit over time but this looks like it'll play like prime remastered but with a new map and power ups.

Overall, the most negativity I’m seeing from the game is Reddit and surprisingly here, meanwhile, Twitter, 4chan and YouTube discussion has been nothing more than positive.

Overall this looks peak.

Overall, the most negativity I’m seeing from the game is Reddit and surprisingly here, meanwhile, Twitter, 4chan and YouTube discussion has been nothing more than positive.

Overall this looks peak.
There's something ironic about the places I associate with being dens of negativity being excited and optimistic about this title, while all the Nintendo fan hangouts are arguing about whether or not this is just a glorified Wii game.

Reason why the Metroid Prime 4 reveal was bad.
-Boring, generic, bad Music (Most important, big difference between good trailer and bad trailer)
-Outdated gameplay
-Metroid Prime Remastered graphics
-Zero hype other than the fact that they told us it's coming 2025
-No release date

*This is coming from someone that isn't a Metroid fan and never played a single Metroid Prime game. So to fans, it might be good but judging from this trailer alone, I don't see many new players trying it out. Metroid Prime Remastered sold ~1m. I don't see this outselling Dread by a huge margin unless they are cooking something for the Switch 2 presentation.

This game doesn’t exist to sell copies, it exists for prestige. Nintendo learned their lesson with Federation Force so they’re going back to basics. That’s good because you’re delivering the promise made in 2017 of “Metroid Prime 4”, and not delivering on that promise is likely why the game was rebooted.

Good news is it’s on Switch so it’ll probably sell 5mil as a floor.

There's something ironic about the places I associate with being dens of negativity being excited and optimistic about this title, while all the Nintendo fan hangouts are arguing about whether or not this is just a glorified Wii game.
I think the answer is that people expectation are extremely high, especially for Nintendo fans, since this game will either make or break Metroid, personally, i think this game as the potential for mass appeal, especially since it's a cross gen title.

Also seeing Sylux as the main villain is something that feels unreal, since he's been build up for about 2 decades.

My expectation are quite high, and also the trailer shows something interesting, in which a lot of things are happening behind the scenes, the trailer makes it seems, like it's a fullblown war, especially when the Space pirates and Federation forces are fighting against each other, which is cool.

-Boring, generic, bad Music (Most important, big difference between good trailer and bad trailer)
-Outdated gameplay
-No release date

*This is coming from someone that isn't a Metroid fan and never played a single Metroid Prime game. So to fans, it might be good but judging from this trailer alone, I don't see many new players trying it out. Metroid Prime Remastered sold ~1m. I don't see this outselling Dread by a huge margin unless they are cooking something for the Switch 2 presentation.
The music was the best part ironically.

-Outdated gameplay
-No release date

lol

-Outdated gameplay
-No release date

wtf-what.gif

Back
Top Bottom