• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Prime 4: Beyond new trailer, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2025

Sylux' gender has got to be one of Metroid's best kept secrets for over a decade
Usually game stories (or stories in any medium) aren't planned so far in advance but I legitimately think Sylux's identity and character arc have been planned out for nearly 20 years now and Tanabe and others have just been dying to share it with the world after all this time.

Tanabe had this concocted over a decade ago. That interview he did I think will fully come true. It’s something he’s wanted. Sylux is here fulfilling that part. He really wanted this badly. So good on him and Retro making it work.

This walk-in is so bad ass. Blow a hole in the wall. Space pirates come in through the fire and Sylux walks right in. Retro managed to change his image to me with just this one clip.

Sylux doing a head tilt gives me a "Look what we have here..." impression.

Samus just gives a nod that says "You."

Was struck by a thought, and I don't know what would be funnier:

Villain route with Sylux talking a lot and going on all these monologues, only to be completely stonewalled by Samus just refusing to give them the satisfaction of any sort of verbal response

Or Antihero route, they're both equally silent only for it to turn out half their conflict could have been completely avoided if they bothered to communicate with each other even slightly
I love both of these omg

I hope Sylux doesn't get killed off at the end of Prime 4. I want to see their arc continue for a while afterwards. Samus needs another archenemy.

I wonder if they're gonna do the "uneasy alliance" thing at the end where one of the Space Pirate big bads becomes too big a threat for Sylux to ignore, and they team up to take on Golden Ridley or something

Or

NGL, I would not be opposed to having the Super-style Mother Brain pop up in a Prime game. I know they're trying to move away from the trappings of just redoing Super elements but that shit could be wild in first person with modern graphics.

I wonder if they're gonna do the "uneasy alliance" thing at the end where one of the Space Pirate big bads becomes too big a threat for Sylux to ignore, and they team up to take on Golden Ridley or something

Or

NGL, I would not be opposed to having the Super-style Mother Brain pop up in a Prime game. I know they're trying to move away from the trappings of just redoing Super elements but that shit could be wild in first person with modern graphics.
I would like nothing more than for Metroid as a whole to stop riding Super's nostalgia.

I would like nothing more than for Metroid as a whole to stop riding Super's nostalgia.
Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time but yeah I agree. Kind of like how it took the Zelda series over 25 years to lay off the A Link to the Past influence. LttP is a magnificent game but it's okay to take things in different directions too!

The Metroid series should allow Nintendo to be as wacky and Sci-fi as possible.
Like they don't have to follow the same linear path as Sony with Uncharted and The Last of Us...

Each episode or game in the series should be like how the X-Files were or the show Fringe.
Give us a story line like we find out Silux is the spawn of Samus and Ridley from the future coming back to kill his mom (because she is the one piece of the puzzle that doomed his future).

Sylux' gender has got to be one of Metroid's best kept secrets for over a decade
I think they gave up on the mystery and just started referring to him with male pronouns

Tanabe had this concocted over a decade ago. That interview he did I think will fully come true. It’s something he’s wanted. Sylux is here fulfilling that part. He really wanted this badly. So good on him and Retro making it work.
I wouldn't put everything into those interviews, IIRC one of them said he wanted to move away from Pirates/Ridley but lo and behold

I did enjoy his intro, but I'm also super fond of what seems to be the actual in-game version, which lacks the guitar. The footsteps! The breathing! The villain music. The guitar was a good choice for the trailer, but I'm glad the in-game version is more ominous than bombastic:

I think he'll still have the jingle in game... The hunters in Prime 3 each had their own jingle when you interacted with them :)

So we saw in the trailer that Sylux had a pair of Mochtroids, presumably cloned off of the full Metroid stolen at the end of Federation Force. But I'd assume that one is still out there, and it occured to me, what if it winds up evolving? Makes me think of this fanart series about what might have been if the events of Super had never happened, and the hatchling grew up at Samus's side. Again, so much room for fascinating parallels and glimpses of what could have been, seen through a dark mirror.

Also, imagining a double-boss battle against Sylux and their Metroid companion now at a Zeta or Omega level, which sounds absolutely sick.

So we saw in the trailer that Sylux had a pair of Mochtroids, presumably cloned off of the full Metroid stolen at the end of Federation Force. But I'd assume that one is still out there, and it occured to me, what if it winds up evolving? Makes me think of this fanart series about what might have been if the events of Super had never happened, and the hatchling grew up at Samus's side. Again, so much room for fascinating parallels and glimpses of what could have been, seen through a dark mirror.

Also, imagining a double-boss battle against Sylux and their Metroid companion now at a Zeta or Omega level, which sounds absolutely sick.

I figured the Metroid he stole would become the new Metroid Prime.

This is a great analysis and visual comparison that should help people see the graphical differences between Prime Remastered and Prime 4 more clearly.

As I've mentioned before, the biggest difference appears to be in material rendering. It's Beyond any other game on the Switch (imo) and I don't recall 360/PS3 games with PBR achieving material response with this level of complexity. We're so used to how games of that era look that this literally looks like it's from a different generation. Retro devs have said in older interviews that they weren't very good programming shaders and heavily relied on their artists understanding of lighting to bake in aesthetically pleasing results, but I think it's clear they're much more well-rounded in this respect looking at this footage.

This walk-in is so bad ass. Blow a hole in the wall. Space pirates come in through the fire and Sylux walks right in. Retro managed to change his image to me with just this one clip.

That's not a walk-in.

That's an "I'm confident AS FUCK"-strutt, and one of masterclass-level. You can basically hear Sylux saying "Well, well, well..." while walking in.

That's not a walk-in.

That's an "I'm confident AS FUCK"-strutt, and one of masterclass-level. You can basically hear Sylux saying "Well, well, well..." while walking in.

I love that, if you look quite closely, you kinda see Sylux shrug in the reflection of Samus' visor.

He's like "Surprise!"

Back
Top Bottom