• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Metroid Dread biggest launch in franchise history in the UK, fifth biggest Switch launch of the year

*see post about wanting Dread to outsell Skyward Sword*

I bought Skyward Sword over Metroid Dread this weekend

boo-outrage.gif

Just kidding. Skyward Sword is great. 😁

Hey, if a 2D Metroid did such thing, anything is possible. You'll see.
I sure hope so, but it's going to be competing with holiday season Pokemon for that spot. Advance Wars making number 1 would mean it's doing really well in December.

I’m a fan of Skyward Sword and would love to see this too. Having said that, that’s going to be a high target, I think SSHD has a shot of overtaking Twilight Princess for 2nd best selling Zelda.
You think SSHD is going to sell almost 9 million copies??
I mean I don't doubt anything after BotW, but to make such a leap I would go for a more recognizable game, say, Ocarina of Time. And Link's Awakening was practically a new game and didn't got near that, and had a longer hype cycle and was launch title to Lite. I'm gonna eat my words happily tho if it overperfoms like that tho!!

Guys only want one thing and it's disgusting:
A PR by Nintendo saying the shipments for the first weekend of Metroid Dread were over 2m.

Game is quality stuff. Playing it on the Oled and it truly is a great entry graphical wise and mechanically. It should sell on quality alone. That’s probably one of the reasons Nintendo is pushing it so much.

I'm not surprised. Lots of hype and marketing. Also... Curry's accidentally put Dread for £26.99 (amiibo price) instead of £42 and the page had 24k views per hour and...they honoured it lol. So that should contribute quite a bit.

it was the best selling game at my local game shop and Nintendo games rarely get that honor here so yeah, Metroid Dread is smash hit

I'm guessing we'll have to wait for quarterly financial statements to hear some concrete numbers, but it's nice to see it's doing well at a glance.

BRITS CAUGHT IN GOOD VIDEOGAME TASTE SCANDAL
Metroid Dread sales suggest UK gamers actually have good tastes; Queen Elizabeth II issues statement saying she is "baffled and appalled"

Metroid Dread sales suggest UK gamers actually have good tastes; Queen Elizabeth II issues statement saying she is "baffled and appalled"
Let's see how it does in other European markets. Since UK is not the most Nintendo-y market there. Hope France delivers and maybe even Spain.

I know a guy who works at Media Markt Spain who has internal data and said Metroid sold x4 times Far Cry (only counting PS4, which is the biggest brand here).

According to VGChartz, Metroid: Samus Returns sold ~7,1k units in UK (first week). GamesIndustry says Dread sold 3.5x times what SR did, so... Has Metroid Dread sold 25k units first week in UK??

According to VGChartz, Metroid: Samus Returns sold ~7,1k units in UK (first week). GamesIndustry says Dread sold 3.5x times what SR did, so... Has Metroid Dread sold 25k units first week in UK??
not sure about this specific number, but vgchartz is not a reliable source at all.

Dread sold ~23k retail (source: DarkDetective at InstallBase based on a Dring answer)

Update the title :p

It almost certainly the fastest selling with digital. Nintendo will prove that eventually. (y) EDIT wait that tweet is kinda weird. Why not say it wasn't the fastest selling "physical" and leave it at that because we know with digital it was definitely the fastest selling. Why mince words? :unsure: Digital game sales on Switch is not microscopically tiny.

It almost certainly the fastest selling with digital. Nintendo will prove that eventually. (y) EDIT wait that tweet is kinda weird. Why not say it wasn't the fastest selling "physical" and leave it at that because we know with digital it was definitely the fastest selling. Why mince words? :unsure: Digital game sales on Switch is not microscopically tiny.

As part of his profession, he has to use a certain kind of language and not present conjecture as fact, no matter how clear it is. He's not allowed to share all of the digital data he has either on his end, so he has to consider that too. But if there was less than 1000 copies in it physically, well.

FIFA is still no 1 tho so they will hide the scandal with it.

Let's see how it does in other European markets. Since UK is not the most Nintendo-y market there. Hope France delivers and maybe even Spain.

I know a guy who works at Media Markt Spain who has internal data and said Metroid sold x4 times Far Cry (only counting PS4, which is the biggest brand here).
Initial shipment to France was 124k(!!!!).
Hell, lifetime it can even get close to a million seller just there, or at least 500k seems like a safe bet and that's incredible.

How much you have to sell to break the blockbuster status? We know the niche barrier already... 100k 👀

FIFA is still no 1 tho so they will hide the scandal with it.
Yeah FIFA at 1 and the latest offering from Ubisoft at 2 is how you know you're still living in Brexit Britain.

Well, that and the culture wars, petrol and food shortages, and gutter politics.

Not sure what kind of blockbuster numbers you’re expecting from the UK

I meant being 5th Switch launch this year
It's not that Snap in the Uk benefit from sales from another market lol
My comment was meant to indicate that Dread launch has been great, for a Metroid game
Someone has to remind to Tbone that not every Switch game is...a blockbuster :D

Back
Top Bottom