• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion McDonald's releases new Game Boy Color game that works on Original Hardware in 2023

epicmartin7

Octorok
That is headline I never thought I'd ever read.

It's a small game that was made to celebrate one of their mascots birthday. It's simply a game being hosted in a browser, but among closer inspection, is an actual Game Boy Color ROM being played inside of an emulator.

Here's a link to the website here: https://grimacesbirthday.com/

Here's additional screenshots of it being played on original hardware.

I think this is fanmade/not McDonald's. If you click on Krool Toys in the top left corner, it takes you to a very early-internet looking page. Okay, could still be part of McD's bit. But then you click on Music in the sidebar and it links to this, haha:

there's a few links to their legal pages if you click around, though it'd be an easy thing to spoof
Yeah I tried looking around but couldn’t find anything too official. If it is them they are not advertising it.

I would bet this is a rom hack made by some random guy, which would be playable on original hardware, and not an original game licensed by McDonald's.

Krool Toys is a marketing company that makes retro games as part of their whole thing. It's not a fan operation, and considering it links to the actual McD legal/privacy policy, this is almost definitely legit.

This is a wildly cool effort. Played a bit of it on mobile and it felt pretty good with a solid tutorial to start, but I'd love to try this via an emulator and a controller. Gotta scoop up the rom and see for myself!

Krool Toys is a marketing company that makes retro games as part of their whole thing. It's not a fan operation, and considering it links to the actual McD legal/privacy policy, this is almost definitely legit.
I hope it is. Would be cool if they did something official like a happy meal promo or something

for those wondering about the technical info, it's using the GB Studio toolkit and has the involvement of Gumpy Function. who is a notable dev in that community.
image.png

(a crash error message)
LRG is standing by for this I guarantee it
oh absolutely, there's a error message that displays if you run the game on an original game boy. which obviously doesn't appear in the browser version.
FydvOvLWIAETaH6.png:orig

it seems likely intended for a possible physical release down the line.

it seems likely intended for a possible physical release down the line.
Or it’s just the party trick that’s all the rage among rom hackers and home brew devs. Plus Everdrives exist so there is a need for it even if there’s no official physical release.

FYI for those who manually downloaded the ROM, the development team is actually pushing out updates (yes, for a Game Boy game) for it over time. currently it's at v1.4 as of this post. which is helpfully listed on the title screen.

the unofficial archive mirror looks to be stuck at v1.3, but it's fairly easy to get the newest version off the official site. (use the "inspect element" feature in Chrome, select the "Network" tab, and refresh the page. the file with the ".gb" extension is what you're looking for.)

Enjoyed this a lot, but wish it was longer since it was cooking for a bit. I'd put it slightly above TreasureLand Adventure as is

Back
Top Bottom