• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Matthew "matpat" Patrick will be stepping back from content creation and being the face of "The Game Theorists" as of March 9th, 2024

Not too crazy about the guy since the whole Scott Cawthon thing, so I'm not gonna shed any tears.

Last edited:
Game Theory had its faults at times, but it was an iconic and enjoyable part of YouTube for so long. MatPat was always a great host, no matter the subject, and has always generally seemed like a good, fun guy. This definitely feels like the end of an era, and I for one will miss his presence. Wishing him the best in whatever he does next, and I hope he gets some good time to rest with his family.

I always find the dates when people decide to leave things fascinating. March 9th is just a random Saturday.

I will miss him. I didn't watch Game Theory that much (since half of it is FnaF based and doesn't take my interest), aswell as his other channels, but I am subscribed to them. I did enjoy his video's on Nintendo topics, like Animal Crossing, or eating a Christmas Tree on Food Theory. His last channel didn't click with me that much, since I would've loved it to be Music Theory. Nonetheless, he was a YT icon, and overall I liked the video's that took interest with me, and for that I will miss him. I wish him the best for whats coming for him.

I'm like slightly confused. So he's leaving but he's still running the channel? So he's moving into an advisory role basically? Or is he not going to profit from it at all anymore? The comment about building up a team to take over makes it sound like he's just going to managing now. I guess it could just be good will and he really is cutting ties.

I'm like slightly confused. So he's leaving but he's still running the channel? So he's moving into an advisory role basically? Or is he not going to profit from it at all anymore? The comment about building up a team to take over makes it sound like he's just going to managing now. I guess it could just be good will and he really is cutting ties.
Seems like he's just gonna be overlooking everything but no longer involved in most of the videos. He does a ton of work currently across all the different channels, so he's handing each channel off to an employee of his. For instance, he appears in just about every single video every channel of his uploads. That's 5 channels and they make at least a dozen videos a month, which he either films himself for or does voice overs for. He already said he has a video he's involved with scheduled for April iirc, so he's not completely gone, just letting others take over and taking a supervisor role.

Seems like he's just gonna be overlooking everything but no longer involved in most of the videos. He does a ton of work currently across all the different channels, so he's handing each channel off to an employee of his. For instance, he appears in just about every single video every channel of his uploads. That's 5 channels and they make at least a dozen videos a month, which he either films himself for or does voice overs for. He already said he has a video he's involved with scheduled for April iirc, so he's not completely gone, just letting others take over and taking a supervisor role.
Yep... getting promoted and retiring are two very different things..lol

Not that it means too much since his staff will still be making videos presumably with his stamp of approval, but good riddance. MatPat did more damage to game discussion and discourse than the average forum troll could ever dream of.

I only knew The Game Theorist as the channel about game theory I kept confusing with another less hacky channel about game theory until matpack started showing up on GameTrailers and other cross-over content and I had a smooth-talking face to associate with the superficial analysis.

Stepping up into a manager role is a good career move and better fit for his skill set. Putting in new talent to work of the channel he established has a good chance of increasing the quality of its output. Hope they get paid accordingly, too.

Interesting to see the sentiment to this be more negative towards MatPat here than everywhere else, where it seems (almost) everyone is sad to see him go.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the sentiment to this be more negative towards MatPat here than everywhere else, where it seems everyone is sad to see him go.
I feel like a lot of the demographic here skews on the older side that wouldn’t have gotten into his videos as kids/teens in the 2010s. That’s probably why the reception towards him is (mostly) different

He's done as much harm to video game literacy as CinemaSins has done to movie literacy, so good riddance

Not that it means too much since his staff will still be making videos presumably with his stamp of approval, but good riddance. MatPat did more damage to game discussion and discourse than the average forum troll could ever dream of.

I totally get why someone who was into this sort of thing before MatPat, like the two above, would find his influence annoying. Even as I’ve grown older, I’ve started to see what they mean to an extent. But as someone who found his content as a tween around 2016, and got into the online gaming sphere through creators like him, it is a little disheartening to see overtly harsh words like “good riddance” being thrown around here.

Don't know this guy or his channels. Out of curiosity I watched the first two minutes of this video. It is some kind joke? He behaves so artificial and overdramatic, it's like seeing an actor in a bad soap show.

Don't know this guy or his channels. Out of curiosity I watched the first two minutes of this video. It is some kind joke? He behaves so artificial and overdramatic, it's like seeing an actor in a bad soap show.
It's content for kids. It's very animated and exaggerated to keep kids' attention.

He's a theatre kid and that's just his personality. Such a strange stance

Dropped off his content long before 2020/2021 but his "which game characters can survive covid 19" left me feeling like, really cold towards his content. I think given how much of a joke the internet turned him into, between shit like giving the Pope undertale, or the INFAMOUS Ness is Sans theory, I'm surprised he was able to tough it out and move on following his own terms rather than being laughed off.
That being said, I personally really hope that there's more reverence for actual learning as opposed to what I think is just...empty content. Something like People Make Games' video on Roblox's exploitation vs something like FNAF video 1072.
also kinda conflicted that after Scott Cawthon donated to a shit ton of Transphobic politicians, to my understanding, Matpat's said nothing about it and just kept pushing put even more FNAF content as recent as 11 days ago. While it's true Scott's walked away as creator, that's still money being paid into his pocket. I wouldn't say it's 1:1 Hogwarts type Hogwash, but it's close enough that makes me feel deeply unsatisfied.

It's his personality. Theater kid, etc. I have seen records from his youth and from of the cuf being with friends, it's just how he is. I get why some feel like it's ultra artificial and it's clearly somewhat more pronounced on a planed video, but it's not really artificial.

- - - - -

His content, even before he moved slightly more towards a child audience with fnaf and such, was always "overly nerdy fan theory stuff with enthusiasm", somewhat cringe but always rather self aware and trying not to hide himself. I think for what it is it really is way Overreaktion stating how he ruined gaming YouTube next to Roblox exploitation, gambling, lying, lgbtq-phobia.... Yeah, YouTube has a ton of toxic gaming content that's world's apart from this He promoted research, that alone is worth something, even if his vibe was more that of a Nickelodeon live action show.

And yeah, it's weak to still post fnaf stuff after the cawthon stuff, I get that if he starts excluding content by creators who's actions are not aligned with his values and views (from all I gather inclusivity is important for him) would limit his reach /income and he's responsible to pay salaries for a whole team. I don't think he aligns with cawthon, but a firmer stance against it should have been possible without impacting his chance to support the employees, here I think he made the wrong decision.

Context: I wasn't a a teen, found him through the avgn-> Nes punk connection (was part of the nes punk website in the beginning), I think it was the first or second year of the channel.
I fell of when fnaf stuff started to become more focused and lore trumped the ridiculous science fun.

Still am subscribed to the channel and every handful of uploads there is 1 fun one there, even if I'm clearly not the main audience.

Last edited:
It's his personality. Theater kid, etc. I have seen records from his youth and from of the cuf being with friends, it's just how he is. I get why some feel like it's ultra artificial and it's clearly somewhat more pronounced on a planed video, but it's not really artificial.

- - - - -

His content, even before he moved slightly more towards a child audience with fnaf and such, was always "overly nerdy fan theory stuff with enthusiasm", somewhat cringe but always rather self aware and trying not to hide himself. I think for what it is it really is way Overreaktion stating how he ruined gaming YouTube next to Roblox exploitation, gambling, lying, lgbtq-phobia.... Yeah, YouTube has a ton of toxic gaming content that's world's apart from this He promoted research, that alone is worth something, even if his vibe was more that of a Nickelodeon live action show.

And yeah, it's weak to still post fnaf stuff after the cawthon stuff, I get that if he starts excluding content by creators who's actions are not aligned with his values and views (from all I gather inclusivity is important for him) would limit his reach /income and he's responsible to pay salaries for a whole team. I don't think he aligns with cawthon, but a firmer stance against it should have been possible without impacting his chance to support the employees, here I think he made the wrong decision.

Context: I wasn't a a teen, found him through the avgn-> Nes punk connection (was part of the nes punk website in the beginning), I think it was the first or second year of the channel.
I fell of when fnaf stuff started to become more focused and lore trumped the ridiculous science fun.

Still am subscribed to the channel and every handful of uploads there is 1 fun one there, even if I'm clearly not the main audience.
He had an acting role in the FnaF movie so I’m pretty sure he is aligned with the views of Cawthon.

He had an acting role in the FnaF movie so I’m pretty sure he is aligned with the views of Cawthon.
That not how alignment works.
Do all HP actors align with rolling?
Many came actively out against her, but still participated in the HP anniversary special that inevitably promotes the franchise.

Matpat is an Acting nerd.
I would say he is a clueless cis or sees it as a "distance the art from the Author" Person.

I don't find that good, you can even condone it, but it's still a different think then aligning with the views.

Last edited:
There goes my plans for No MatPat May...

Anyways, this guys videos were hilariously bad, but he'll probably come crawling back to youtube before too long. But that's just a theory...a gay theory (I'm gay).

Interesting to see the sentiment to this be more negative towards MatPat here than everywhere else, where it seems (almost) everyone is sad to see him go.
Did he ever apologise for his innappropriate comments about Etika's suicide or his anti trans jokes?

That not how alignment works.
Do all HP actors align with rolling?
Many came actively out against her, but still participated in the HP anniversary special that inevitably promotes the franchise.

Matpat is an Acting nerd.
I would say he is a clueless cis or sees it as a "distance the art from the Author" Person.

I don't find that good, you can even condone it, but it's still a different think then aligning with the views.
The whole "HP" actors thing is wrong.

What we learned about the Lord Voldeterf was years AFTER the all the mainline movies were out, all 8 movies.

Fantastic Turds and where to sniff it was already out by then.

Watched a little bit of his content over the years and some of it was mildly entertaining. I liked a few of his early FNAF videos even though I have never played it in my life but it eventually became tiresome. Mostly his content wasn’t for me and largely seemed aimed at kids (I was in my late teens when I discovered game theory). Still he was clearly very popular and entertained a lot of people so unless there is something about him that is majorly problematic then I wish him luck. I’m sure he will still be appearing on the channel from time to time, just not running everything (I did not watch his farewell video)

Last edited:

What we learned about the Lord Voldeterf was years AFTER the movies were out. Fantastic Turds and where to sniff it was already out by then.
The actors participated in an HBO Harry Potter special well after JK made her views perfectly clear and many others of those actors had already publicly denounced her.

The Game Theory videos are over-the-top and tend to be stretches, but they're harmless and have high production values.

I'm personally more of a fan of his Food Theory videos, which have some actually interesting knowledge and science.

EDIT :
I think it's a good time for me to just take a rest (wrong video posted).

Last edited:

What we learned about the Lord Voldeterf was years AFTER the all the mainline movies were out, all 8 movies.

Fantastic Turds and where to sniff it was already out by then.
As already mentioned, by GenOneCam, only last year, after everything was on the table and the actors distanced themselves.
For a lot of people in this world products and their creators (or people that participated in their creation) are 2 seperate things.

Im not saying thats the right or wrong way, or saying that you have to view it one or the other.
There just clearly is a difference between ignorance and actively holding an opinion.
How big that different for somebody personally is, thats theirs to decide, but it is there, and there is no sign that matpat is transphobic, but its still fine if people don't want to support him because he did not break with the fnaf franchise.

The Game Theory videos are over-the-top and tend to be stretches, but they're harmless and have high production values.

I'm personally more of a fan of his Food Theory videos, which have some actually interesting knowledge and science.
Pretty much where i stand, stretches, but mostly harmless and sometimes educational.
So... in the grand context of youtube a positive force, especially seeing how so many other
children focused content creators are harming children.
(not that its hard to be a positive force in youtube context...)

---

And about the negative opinion that he is still in charge, so why such a grand exit:
its a big change for him and his coworkers. He will move on from the project he is mainly associated, and start doing other projects he wanted for a long time. He took the time to prepare the channel(s) to exist without him, to give the creators behind him the spotlight and the chance to give it their own spin.

They had time to get into it, take mostly over in the background, had shorts where they took over, ... thats how you should do it. Not running everything into the ground, exiting before you ruin it, give others time to prepare and grow into the new role.

so needless and overblown

he was a funny overacter with some silly theories. i stopped watching a year ago but i still appreciate the concept

like it's really not that deep bro

Is it? I'm genuinely asking. I've never even heard of this guy.
It's mostly jokes referencing some of his theories (sans being ness is a common one), but when you didn't like those in the first place, it becomes particularly annoying to see them wherever you go.

Even if you stopped watching his content, you still wouldn't be able to be fully disconnected from his videos.

This is hardly the worst problem though. As I said in my first comment, him not fully condemning Scott Cawthon to get that sweet FNAF money makes it hard for me to simply respect him.

Is it? I'm genuinely asking. I've never even heard of this guy.
Outside of the FNAF and Undertale fandoms (with a hint of Earthbound/Mother because of his "Sans is Ness" video), not really. There were some kind of joke theory videos about how Mario was like a sociopath or whatever that had some influence on Mario jokes some people find annoying, but that's about it.

He's iconic, but to say he's ruined gaming discourse in deep ways is hyperbole.

There are some people who think it's genuine canon that Rosalina is the daughter of Peach and Luigi because of this guy.
Also he popularised the "Majora's mask is rhe 5 stages of grief and Link is dead" theory which some fans take as canon

Tbh a common thread in all of this is just people immediately beleiving fan theories as what the writers actually intended

I remember watching his videos in the early days, most of his theory videos are just that random theories that sometimes are made for content rather than anything to take deep into account. Was more a fan of the more math related videos.

Mostly just watch him for the couch banter on gtlive, fashion and food theory. Never was much a fan of FNAF so I usually pay more attention to everything else. The people he has to replace on the latter two I kind of vibe with, not really feeling the person that is replacing on Game Theory though. He will still be a regular host of the GTLive channel for the foreseeable future, which is just them relaxing on a couch in their attic with random banter between him, sometimes co-host and the person running the stream while play a random game

you know his career is truly over now that he finally decided to make this.
for the record, the social media manager who made those tweets has long since left Tinybuild

Gotta love how his video about the Pink Sauce was full of shit but it got the clicks, and the editing with showing the face of the author of the Pink Sauce with emojis and trying to make her look stupid and even propaging a fake news that her sauce could kill.

I hate this moron so much.

So the Food Theorist is just as hacky as the Game Theorist, only about more consequential matters.

Also nice Hasan Piker cameo. Made me go to YouTube and search for his video on the subject. Starts out with "Have you spoken about the whole Pink Sauce craze?" - "No, I don't know what it is." Skip to thirty minutes of mainlining TikToks and Twitter embeds later and he's making declarative statements. Influencer intellectualism at its finest.

So the Food Theorist is just as hacky as the Game Theorist, only about more consequential matters.

Also nice Hasan Piker cameo. Made me go to YouTube and search for his video on the subject. Starts out with "Have you spoken about the whole Pink Sauce craze?" - "No, I don't know what it is." Skip to thirty minutes of mainlining TikToks and Twitter embeds later and he's making declarative statements. Influencer intellectualism at its finest.
I've been watching Ann Reardon's videos for years now, after a little surgery operation.
She is a food scientist and at first she was just doing cooking videos but after a few years, she started debunking "hacks & how to" recipe videos and she went talking about YT algorythm, origins of some of the content farm channels and so much more (her husband, who taste a lot of things, is a retired journalist, he's also the one who add the subtitles in tons of her videos).

She had to debunk another of Mat's videos from the Food Theorysts.

I've been watching Ann Reardon's videos for years now, after a little surgery operation.
She is a food scientist and at first she was just doing cooking videos but after a few years, she started debunking "hacks & how to" recipe videos and she went talking about YT algorythm, origins of some of the content farm channels and so much more (her husband, who taste a lot of things, is a retired journalist, he's also the one who add the subtitles in tons of her videos).

She had to debunk another of Mat's videos from the Food Theorysts.
Do you mean the milk bad video because I remember that Matt responded to her video

Mat Pat said milk sucks? Well then, I hope he gets cancelled forever.
yeah it is about how adult mammals can not digest milk and how humans need to stop drinking it after the age of 10 and go for soy or almond milk
which is not uncommon opinion

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom