• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Market consolidation: where does Nintendo stand?

Unfortunately, I don’t think organic growth will be enough to add the development resources Nintendo will need to support a subscription service if the market ends up going that path.
Nintendo will go their own path. They don't tend to follow industry trends very closely nor do they need to.
Game development requirements continue to grow each console cycle and Nintendo still have plenty of IP in need of more frequent updates. And if say Bandai Namco were to get snatched up as part of an industry consolidation, Nintendo would lose some serious muscle. Expanding internally is a no-brainer, but I’m not sure it’s going to move the needle enough with where things are potentially heading.
There will never be any shortage of development talent willing to partner up with Nintendo on their own IP's. It's money in the bank.
And from a content standpoint, Nintendo really needs more mature / western IPs to make a subscription service attractive to a broader audience. Metroid is probably their most popular “mature” IP Nintendo and it’s still pretty niche. Hard to believe we’re still talking about Rare after all these years, but losing them was tough as they addressed both needs. Regardless, this is an issue that’s going to be impossible for Nintendo to solve internally. In today’s world I don’t think adding broader IP is critical for them, but when asking people to spend up to $15 / month, you need to have something for everybody. Disney+ wouldn’t be what it is today with Star Wars & Marvel. To have a successful subscription platform, I think Nintendo will eventually will need acquire someone that fills in the gaps. Capcom probably makes the most sense as a complement IMO.

I’m not suggesting I want consolidation by any means, but I prefer a strong Nintendo in my life and want to make sure they don’t get blindsided by a quickly evolving gaming market.

Given the expense and development time of games today, Rare would never be able to replicate what they did for the N64 today. Look at what they are currently doing for Xbox for a clearer picture.

A Nintendo run Capcom is great fan fiction, but what would it realistically amount to? A Capcom that is mostly emptied out within a few years and Nintendo having staff them themselves with their own talent. Nintendo doesn't need Capcom's IP. They have enough of their own and could make new IP or collaborate with other developers if they want to broaden their scope.

Nintendo wouldn’t make a big acquisition move, though. It’s just not their MO.
I think it's a little premature to say that it is Nintendos MO not to make any big acquisition moves. It seems like people are forcing this narrative that Nintendo is content sitting on the sidelines while MS and Sony are buying up every developer they can. However I think Nintendo is fine holding back because all the major acquisitions have been mainly western developers and while the loss of Bethesda and Activision Blizzard probably do sting they're not as big a loss as they are for Sony.

Now once eyes turn towards the Japanese developing community I think we'll probably see a more aggressive Nintendo. Not to mention, for all we know Nintendo could potentially be making some negotiations and finalizing plans already; I mean we know that the Activision Blizzard and Bungie acquisitions have been in the works for months before the deals were officially made known.

I think it's a little premature to say that it is Nintendos MO not to make any big acquisition moves. It seems like people are forcing this narrative that Nintendo is content sitting on the sidelines while MS and Sony are buying up every developer they can.
I would say it’s more premature to say that Nintendo is planning to make acquisitions when they have historically been conservative in that regard.
However I think Nintendo is fine holding back because all the major acquisitions have been mainly western developers and while the loss of Bethesda and Activision Blizzard probably do sting they're not as big a loss as they are for Sony.
Nintendo is fine “holding back” because their current strategy is working out for them.
Now once eyes turn towards the Japanese developing community I think we'll probably see a more aggressive Nintendo. Not to mention, for all we know Nintendo could potentially be making some negotiations and finalizing plans already; I mean we know that the Activision Blizzard and Bungie acquisitions have been in the works for months before the deals were officially made known.
In the hypothetical scenario MS/Sony/Tencent set their eyes on Japanese companies, then there’s not much Nintendo could do to stop them.

I’m not saying Nintendo making an acquisition would be impossible. Hell I would welcome it if only to enjoy the ensuing internet hubbub. I’m just saying that from we currently know, it’s unlikely Nintendo is planning any major acquisitions. We know they spent their money on internal expansion, R&D and ventures into film and the theme park.

On that note, maybe we can talk about this more once Nintendo releases their quarterly financial report which comes in a day or so, I think?

Now once eyes turn towards the Japanese developing community I think we'll probably see a more aggressive Nintendo.
This isn’t smart if they’re thinking like this. They can be aggressive all they want. Once companies come through they can all outbid Nintendo.

I don’t like this “wait until something finally happens to us to make a move”.

I think it's a little premature to say that it is Nintendos MO not to make any big acquisition moves. It seems like people are forcing this narrative that Nintendo is content sitting on the sidelines while MS and Sony are buying up every developer they can. However I think Nintendo is fine holding back because all the major acquisitions have been mainly western developers and while the loss of Bethesda and Activision Blizzard probably do sting they're not as big a loss as they are for Sony.

Well I guess we might see how much Nintendo cares about its longstanding Japanese associates, your Capcoms and your Bamcos and such, if and when push comes to shove. It's just that in the past there's been very little in the way of evidence that should one of them stop supporting Nintendo, Nintendo does much more than shrug.

And that's a bit of a hyperbole, it's not like they never try to court their software or invest in a collab, but that's still a far cry from such a substantial acquisition.

I would say it’s more premature to say that Nintendo is planning to make acquisitions when they have historically been conservative in that regard.

Nintendo is fine “holding back” because their current strategy is working out for them.

In the hypothetical scenario MS/Sony/Tencent set their eyes on Japanese companies, then there’s not much Nintendo could do to stop them.

I’m not saying Nintendo making an acquisition would be impossible. Hell I would welcome it if only to enjoy the ensuing internet hubbub. I’m just saying that from we currently know, it’s unlikely Nintendo is planning any major acquisitions. We know they spent their money on internal expansion, R&D and ventures into film and the theme park.

On that note, maybe we can talk about this more once Nintendo releases their quarterly financial report which comes in a day or so, I think?
To be honest what we currently know is very little outside of information that we glean from financial reports and rumors. In the end I think our differences in opinion stem from that I think it's unwise to determine Nintendos future actions based on past behavior in an increasing volatile environment, meanwhile it seems you believe that Nintendo is set in their ways and will instead focus at expanding internally. Both are guesswork in the end, but I agree that we'll probably get a clearer picture in the upcoming financial report.
This isn’t smart if they’re thinking like this. They can be aggressive all they want. Once companies come through they can all outbid Nintendo.

I don’t like this “wait until something finally happens to us to make a move”.
I didn't mean that Nintendo will take a "wait and see" approach; what I meant was that I think Nintendo most likely has a closer eye on the Japanese gaming scene and making moves to secure home-grown developers under the table that the public won't see until MS and/or Sony turn to Japan.

It's not guesswork to say Nintendo are focused on expanding internally; that was literally part of their last briefing to shareholders and it forms a substantial $5 billion package of investment encompassing all areas they aim to work in: videogames, film, television, themeparks, merchandise and so on.

More specifically, Nintendo said the medium and long term focus would be on growing their own software production capabilities. At the same time, they didn't rule out mergers and acquisitions, but questioned whether that the would be the most effective use of their funds. Earlier last year, they said they would be willing to explore acquisitions if it meant gaining access to new technology, which makes it seem like they aren't actively looking to acquire software development resources. Of course, we also know that, if Nintendo are presented with a developer on a plate (Next Level Games), they will snap them up.

However, Nintendo made their strategic focus clear just a few months ago. We have the information straight from the horse's mouth. It'll be interesting to see if the language is different this week, or if it differs in May at the first briefing for the next fiscal year.

Yes, it's true of all platforms, but the poster I quoted was specifically talking about game sales as a percentage of the Switch's userbase, which he equated to the number of consoles sold. I didn't intend to claim that upgrading was unique to the Switch.

I'd be interested to see any stats you have about what percentage of a console owners actually upgrade. I can believe it's low for dedicated home consoles, but I suspect it's quite a bit higher for handhelds (including hybrids).
I mean, that's just the starting assumption used for any system. I don't think they literally meant every single purchase was a unique person

I don't doubt it was higher for the likes of the DS or even the 3DS, but the pro models for the PS4/XB1 would no doubt be more appealing for an upgrade than going from the Switch to the Switch OLED. Not saying it's not possible for the Switch to have more repeat customers than the others, but, with how things have shifted this past generation, I don't think you can just naturally assume that

Look at how quickly Disney+ was able to build a top class streaming platform thanks in large part to exclusive content acquired through acquisitions of Pixar, Star Wars, & Marvel. Nintendo has excellent IP, but a bit more diversity and development muscle would go a long way to help building their own Gamepass. If they have sustain a subscription service with only their internal studios and a few smaller partners, I’m greatly concerned it would end up a flop and put the long-term viability of Nintendo at risk.
I think some of your reasoning for Nintendo needing to engage in the acquisition war is a bit misguided, to be honest, and sounds more like justification for why you think it should happen.

The biggest mistake here is acting like subscription services are a larger barrier for entry, when it's the exact opposite. Think about games like Dragon Quest 11S or Monster Hunter Rise. These games are important for Nintendo to produce for the Switch, because the Switch is a $300 proposition. Anyone who is even on the fence about getting something that pricey, is likely in the eyes of Nintendo not to get it. Third party titles like these are meant to entice consumers (especially in Japan) to pull the trigger on their system, they usually aren't the sole interest. Meanwhile on a subscription service, anyone with any fading interest in Nintendo will have access to their catalogue of games for $15-$20 at most. Of course, the monetization model of subscription services relies on people renewing their subscriptions, but even when content has dried up, we've seen time and time again that people don't cancel their subscriptions. The gaming audience has literally been trained to renew their subscriptions whether or not they use them since the early 2000's at least, and at large by the early 2010's.

Comparing Nintendo to Disney isn't favorable, either. Disney had an overreliance on their own creative studios prior to the Pixar partnership, which infamously led to inconsistent results. It would be more like if Disney partnered with Marvel and Pixar, owned all their IP, and managed the offices they worked in. Even this hypothetical scenario is actually too charitable to the comparison too, because a lot of the developers Nintendo partners with aren't particularly capable of making big blockbuster games on their own; the technical know-how along with the budgets Nintendo (or TPC?) provides is literally vital for them to even make the kind of titles they produce. At least a movie studio like Pixar is already known for consistently making new IP and using their own technologies to make breakthrough motion pictures. Where is the comparison to be made with HAL, Intelligent Systems, or even Gamefreak? Those studios wouldn't even be valuable without Nintendo. And I know what you are talking about is studios Nintendo has partnerships with but doesn't have an iron grip on. But, that's kind of my point. The reason why there are so many partners that are essentially Nintendo studios already is because Nintendo has the large support network Disney does. They already have a breadth of content under them that they themselves only somewhat 'created', which they didn't wholly make, yet they own. And that content is already more than diverse enough without needing acquisitions.

Despite my comment I don't disagree that Nintendo need more IP (eventually, as the nature of the market is to expand eternally) and developers. I'm not against acquisitions. And even some very specific points you made, like how Nintendo should have more mature IP, are appealing to me. But, honestly? This is the kind of stuff fans bother themselves with more than reality itself. People get so bogged down in what is 'mature' and 'western' when the reality is Nintendo's entire brand is the cross-appeal they have with multiple cultures and age demographics. You mention how much Rare is missed in this regard and how much they contributed, but what extremely popular mature games did Rare even make? The only one was GoldenEye, which belonged to a franchise they don't even own. I believe Nintendo should have kept them as much as anyone, but by enlarge all of Rare's most popular games were the kind of all-ages feel-good titles that Nintendo already excel at, just with Rare's own unique twist and admittedly darker personality. Meanwhile, Nintendo has made Breath of the Wild, one of the most popular games in a genre which tracks extremely well with western 'mature' audiences. They also made the most successful fighting game on the planet, which is important to note given Killer Instinct was one of Rare's mature titles. This isn't to diminish Rare, they were incredibly important, rather it's to put things in perspective. If Nintendo is going to be acquiring, it's because they need more developers on hand (a point you yourself made). And if Nintendo is going to be acquiring publishers, it's because they want to ensure that they can sell pricey hardware ecosystems for the next 10+ years without being in jeopardy, in addition to the increased manpower and future-proofed pipeline of games in general.

It would actually take an incredibly long-time for the proverbial well from which Nintendo draws subscribers from to dry up from a lack of diverse IP if they made a subscription service. It's a problem they might eventually face, but a lack of developers on hand is much more imminent and more sensical to tackle than lack of diversity, not being mature enough, or not being western enough.

Last edited:
Well, they specifically said that one million copies of a game sold was selling to less than one percent of the 103 million userbase.

Here's an article - I'm not sure of the reliability but it seems credible enough - from May last year that of the previous twelve months' sales, about 20% of Switches were sold to households who already had one.

I imagine it's higher in recent months, now that there are two later alternatives to the OG.

It's not guesswork to say Nintendo are focused on expanding internally; that was literally part of their last briefing to shareholders and it forms a substantial $5 billion package of investment encompassing all areas they aim to work in: videogames, film, television, themeparks, merchandise and so on.

More specifically, Nintendo said the medium and long term focus would be on growing their own software production capabilities. At the same time, they didn't rule out mergers and acquisitions, but questioned whether that the would be the most effective use of their funds. Earlier last year, they said they would be willing to explore acquisitions if it meant gaining access to new technology, which makes it seem like they aren't actively looking to acquire software development resources. Of course, we also know that, if Nintendo are presented with a developer on a plate (Next Level Games), they will snap them up.

However, Nintendo made their strategic focus clear just a few months ago. We have the information straight from the horse's mouth. It'll be interesting to see if the language is different this week, or if it differs in May at the first briefing for the next fiscal year.

The main problem I see with their current strategy is that it's going to take a very long time to see any results from their internal expansion. Meanwhile everyone around them is making power moves. One month into the year and there was Zynga, ABK and Bungie. If Jeff Grubb and Geoff Keighley are right, we're going to see even more. Not saying that large m&a's are desirable or likely but I don't think internal expansion or partnerships (which are always at the risk of being broken up) can be the only answer. I guess Nintendo is uniquely positioned that a lot of this doesn't affect them right now. But what if it does? Will they be flexible enough to react?

Furukawa expressed last year that Nintendo isn't against investing into mergers and acquisitions.

unknown.png

I definitely don't think they'll be joining the ‘acquisition war’, though. They have no reason to, for the reasons I already explained in my post earlier in the thread. Like I said then, if one of Nintendo's long-time development partners were looking to sell, they’d buy; the same scenario Next Level Games were in last year. That'd be HAL, Intelligent Systems, Game Freak / Creatures, Camelot; maybe Grezzo or Good-Feel at this point. Just can't see them chasing down the major Japanese publishers like Sega, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, etc; I don't think any of them will be selling soon regardless.

Seems like Nintendo is continuing to invest more in internal growth than anything else, though multiple avenues. In terms of their main business, video game production, they're working on expanding their Kyoto workforce and office spaces right now

but I think they're also incredibly invested into expanding their IPs outside of video games right now too. There's obviously theme parks with Super Nintendo World and film with Illumination's Mario movie. The Nintendo Store brand is expanding with a second location in Japan, and there's the 'Nintendo Gallery' museum opening in Japan in a few years; those physical businesses feel in line with this type of expansion too. Even further, it seems there's some internal discussion about a in-house movie business.

D5C11501-54DC-455D-ACD9-1B2ED330EE0B.jpg

They plan on investing a lot of Switch profit into this growth, so we might just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

2PWJYyu.jpg

What do people realistically want Nintendo to do anyway, though?

Say Furukawa wakes up and chooses violence tomorrow and buys Koei Tecmo. That's going to erase their cash reserves and basically rule them out of any other spending for the foreseeable future... and then that would probably push everyone else into consolidating even more/quicker.

I really think we have to be prepared for the gaming industry to eventually move to a subscription heavy model like we’ve seen with TV / film. Microsoft already appears to be “all-in” on this path with Gamepass. Sony should be unveiling their own Project Spartacus soon. Even Nintendo has pushed further into these waters with NSO Expansion.

And like with other media subscription services, being able to provide a diverse set of constantly evolving content is the key to success. As such, we’re starting to see a content war forming with Microsoft leading the charge. Whether we like it or not, consolation within the game space is going to continue to happen. Nintendo can either participate or risk losing out on both valuable development resources and access to important IP.

And in all honestly, I think it would be a massive mistake for Nintendo to sit this battle out. Look at how quickly Disney+ was able to build a top class streaming platform thanks in large part to exclusive content acquired through acquisitions of Pixar, Star Wars, & Marvel. Nintendo has excellent IP, but a bit more diversity and development muscle would go a long way to help building their own Gamepass. If they have sustain a subscription service with only their internal studios and a few smaller partners, I’m greatly concerned it would end up a flop and put the long-term viability of Nintendo at risk. And that’s the last thing I’d ever want to happen.
This post is what I definitely agree with the most. That is within my deepest mind buried down within my heart I strongly think that Square Enix should be the one company that is on Nintendo's radar when it comes to buying out someone. Imagine having a streaming service made by Nintendo with all of Nintendo franchises being available to gamers sprinkled in with all the Square Enix titles. It will be a dream come true for a Nintendo fan that love JRPG content. Also Capcom and Konami titles need to be on the service. So for me personally I think those three companies should be bought out by Nintendo. And let's not forget Atlus which is owned by Sega which means Nintendo needs to buy Sega eventually. So I don't think Nintendo should just buy shares or stake in companies I strongly believe like everyone that agrees with me that Nintendo needs to just start buying out these companies. We need to hear of an acquisition coming up shortly because if they don't buy out Square Enix or the others that I mentioned you better believe the competitors will. So the time has come let's prepare ourselves Nintendo fans and let's push this thought into the ethos. Yes we know Nintendo does very well as a console that people buy to play Nintendo games but we need to support promoting but idea that people should buy Nintendo consoles and services for a wide range of games from the best Japanese developers on the planet. We can't have Nintendo consoles simply be just for Nintendo first-party games. That is not going to help in the long run. We need to put in people's heads that if you buy a Nintendo console you're getting the greatest Japanese content available.

Unfortunately, I don’t think organic growth will be enough to add the development resources Nintendo will need to support a subscription service if the market ends up going that path. Game development requirements continue to grow each console cycle and Nintendo still have plenty of IP in need of more frequent updates. And if say Bandai Namco were to get snatched up as part of an industry consolidation, Nintendo would lose some serious muscle. Expanding internally is a no-brainer, but I’m not sure it’s going to move the needle enough with where things are potentially heading.

And from a content standpoint, Nintendo really needs more mature / western IPs to make a subscription service attractive to a broader audience. Metroid is probably their most popular “mature” IP Nintendo and it’s still pretty niche. Hard to believe we’re still talking about Rare after all these years, but losing them was tough as they addressed both needs. Regardless, this is an issue that’s going to be impossible for Nintendo to solve internally. In today’s world I don’t think adding broader IP is critical for them, but when asking people to spend up to $15 / month, you need to have something for everybody. Disney+ wouldn’t be what it is today with Star Wars & Marvel. To have a successful subscription platform, I think Nintendo will eventually will need acquire someone that fills in the gaps. Capcom probably makes the most sense as a complement IMO.

I’m not suggesting I want consolidation by any means, but I prefer a strong Nintendo in my life and want to make sure they don’t get blindsided by a quickly evolving gaming market.
「Expanding internally」

You know when I first post in this comment thread I was of the idea that Nintendo doesn't need to do anything they could just sit on their Laurels because they have the strongest first-party IP. I thought initially that they did not need to buy out any company. They could just sit on the sideline but then after reading the comments here in this conversation I have completely done a 180. It only makes sense for Nintendo to buy out these important companies as you mentioned Capcom. Nintendo will be in deep trouble if Microsoft and Sony bought out Capcom Konami Square Enix and Sega/Atlus. It will always ensure that Nintendo will always be in third place. Because although Nintendo franchises are some of the greatest of all time there's no denying that there are people in this world who love Western games. There are people who are deep fans of a lot of those franchises that come from the West. There also hardcore fans of these Japanese third parties that we have been mentioning today. And if Nintendo let those big long lasting series from Japanese companies, that has been going on ever since the 80s disappear from their consoles or from their services then Nintendo will be in deep trouble. I don't really see them surviving that well just strictly based off first party. Things will get very hard for them in future Generations. They may do well next generation because the Switch was such a successful console. But what about in the 11th generation or the 12th generation how will things go for Nintendo if the biggest and most legendary Japanese third parties and franchises are already snatched up by the competition. That's why I'm shocked that there are still people arguing against Nintendo joining in the consolidation efforts. Trust me I understand that mindset because I had it as well but after reading all these comments today it should be clear that Nintendo really does need to do something and fast.

This post is what I definitely agree with the most. That is within my deepest mind buried down within my heart I strongly think that Square Enix should be the one company that is on Nintendo's radar when it comes to buying out someone. Imagine having a streaming service made by Nintendo with all of Nintendo franchises being available to gamers sprinkled in with all the Square Enix titles. It will be a dream come true for a Nintendo fan that love JRPG content. Also Capcom and Konami titles need to be on the service. So for me personally I think those three companies should be bought out by Nintendo. And let's not forget Atlus which is owned by Sega which means Nintendo needs to buy Sega eventually. So I don't think Nintendo should just buy shares or stake in companies I strongly believe like everyone that agrees with me that Nintendo needs to just start buying out these companies. We need to hear of an acquisition coming up shortly because if they don't buy out Square Enix or the others that I mentioned you better believe the competitors will. So the time has come let's prepare ourselves Nintendo fans and let's push this thought into the ethos. Yes we know Nintendo does very well as a console that people buy to play Nintendo games but we need to support promoting but idea that people should buy Nintendo consoles and services for a wide range of games from the best Japanese developers on the planet. We can't have Nintendo consoles simply be just for Nintendo first-party games. That is not going to help in the long run. We need to put in people's heads that if you buy a Nintendo console you're getting the greatest Japanese content available.
This is really more of a fan’s wishlist than a remotely realistic approach to managing a video game company. Also see what @Oregano said.

The main problem I see with their current strategy is that it's going to take a very long time to see any results from their internal expansion. Meanwhile everyone around them is making power moves. One month into the year and there was Zynga, ABK and Bungie. If Jeff Grubb and Geoff Keighley are right, we're going to see even more. Not saying that large m&a's are desirable or likely but I don't think internal expansion or partnerships (which are always at the risk of being broken up) can be the only answer. I guess Nintendo is uniquely positioned that a lot of this doesn't affect them right now. But what if it does? Will they be flexible enough to react?
Nintendo is also exploring other revenue streams now. And if they somehow lose all the big third party pubs, I wager they can survive on their first party IPs (not only the games but also stuff like film and merch) as well as indie support.

Well yeah, I think this is the risk they're taking. They must feel the current momentum and success of Switch and whatever plans they have in place for the coming 5 years are going to give them the time they need for these initiatives to take effect. Some of the development expansion is also very near term - the new facility and the leased facility in Kyoto will open this year. Obviously, that won't mean that there are suddenly hundreds of new staff, but it is the case that expansion is accelerating in the very near term. It's also an extraordinarily complex situation. Nintendo's plans for how they evolve their hardware and software offering will play into third-party software support and variety, and the viability of their platform business; until we know more about that, I think it's extremely difficult to know how negatively Nintendo will be affected by this. I've posted about it elsewhere, but I think the best bet for Nintendo is to gradually transition to a mixed model where by large amounts of retro content (300 plus games), first-party expansions, new downloadable titles (not just Tetris 99, but things like BoxBoy, Part-Time UFO, The Stretchers, even things like Pokemon Unite), and older (first-generation?) Switch titles become rolled into a more expensive subscription. The software model becomes a mixed subscription/purchase model, while the hardware model moves to a multi-generation Switch platform, with Dane being the second generation, to ensure continuity for developers and consumers.

We also shouldn't lose sight that, even if the present gaming environment has huge risks for Nintendo, factors outside their control also benefit them, such as the indie boom. I do think Nintendo are fortuitious this has kicked off now, and not while Wii U was on the market. Switch has solved one of the big problems Nintendo had - the perception (and often reality) that there were frequent software droughts on Nintendo systems. Even if I think we can all agree (with differing levels of convinction) there's room for improvement from Nintendo themselves, software quantity and variety on Switch as a whole is enormous. While I'd also be inclined to agree having the support of Bethesda and Activision was important in 2017, especially for the perception of the Switch, I don't think losing that support now is as damaging as it could have been had it happened to Nintendo a few years ago. Indie gaming has become an increasingly important sector and Switch especially has benefitted from that.

As much as I'm supportive of the internal expansion strategy, I agree it's still risky in the present environment. There's a danger now that acquisitions and mergers will spiral and compound and will begin to have a material effect on the factor that sets Switch apart from previous Nintendo systems: sheer software quantity and variety. There's a slight danger Nintendo are left without much 'traditional' third-party support (say if Capcom, Square-Enix, and others were to be bought out by Microsoft or Sony). However, I think this is an important point:

Say Furukawa wakes up and chooses violence tomorrow and buys Koei Tecmo. That's going to erase their cash reserves and basically rule them out of any other spending for the foreseeable future... and then that would probably push everyone else into consolidating even more/quicker.
Let's say Nintendo do react aggressively and buy Koei-Tecmo or even Capcom. What would Sony or Microsoft do in the face of this? Sony might not have reacted to Nintendo's domestic dominance in Japan, but if Nintendo begin to absorb larger quantities of Japanese game-development, they may well feel compelled to move for Square-Enix (even if Japanese developers are moving to Nintendo's platform, Sony can still count on high-end support from the bigger publishers and would want to protect that). That would be a blow to Nintendo, absolutely. Any aggressive move they make arguably has bigger risks than the current strategy. At least internal expansion won't be perceived as an immediate or existential threat by rival platform holders. Is acquiring Koei-Tecmo (for example) worth risking the loss of other Japanese publishers?

All this being said, I do hope Nintendo become a bit more imaginative and a bit more proactive in the present environment. I'd like to see them formalise some of their deals with independent studios to help protect those studios from acquistion - perhaps they could enter into IP-sharing agreements similar to their long-standing affiliates HAL and Intelligent Systems. Expand that sphere of influence - which protects HAL, IS, Game Freak etc from being the target of acquisition - to studios like Grezzo, Camelot, Good-Feel, Mages, Way Forward and so on; especially given so far, those studios don't appear to want to sell. Perhaps in addition to that, they could acquire sizeable, but minority stakes in those studios were possible. The affiliate agreement could give studios a slightly larger share of revenue associated to Nintendo IP they develop (which could, in turn, help these small studios fund expansion), while also allowing them to work on new IP in collaboration with producers at EPD or other Nintendo studios. As with Game Freak and HAL, who have self-published when they want, the likes of Good-Feel would be free to self-publish their own IP; Nintendo might be given first refusal as publisher, while these companies would self-publish without seeking alternative publishing partners.

One positive in the current environment is the continuing emergence of large numbers of talented independent studios. Again, Nintendo could push more initiatives like Cadence of Hyrule and The Stretchers; either collaborate to provide more games which make use of Nintendo IPs and characters, or collaborate in pursuit of more new IPs which wouldn't emerge from Nintendo itself. There are plenty of teams emerging who Nintendo could begin to fold into an affiliate network or, if it was right, acquire and turn into a subsidiary. Way Forward's involvement with Advance Wars will be interesting to watch - they feel like a good fit for Nintendo more broadly. This also gives Nintendo the opportunity to internationalise further. Ideally, they should expand the external developer network without necessarily acquiring masses of studios but also without leaving those exclusive or near-exclusive studios as hostages to fortune in the present environment.

And of course, there's That Old Chestnut: create a bigger internal development presence outside Japan. Nintendo have subsidiaries like Retro Studios and Next Level, who can lead development on software projects. But the other international subsidiaries - iQue, NST, NERD - don't yet have that capacity. This is an increasingly odd oversight to me, given the range of companies around the world Nintendo willingly entrust their IP to with oversight from EPD. The first step would be to turn iQue, NST, and NERD into subsidiaries like Retro and NLG who can lead development on projects under EPD producers. The eventual goal should be to turn these into regional development hubs with internal and external production. They don't need to be on the scale of EPD, of course; but what if iQue, NST, and NERD could, along with their other duties, lead development on a game at a time, while supervising or producing games with a developer or two in their own region? We might say they've got EPD for that, but any work not being done by EPD frees EPD resources to concentrate on other projects.*

Hoo boy. That's definitely long enough.

*edit because this wasn't long enough. For this scenario, I think it's interesting to consider how Intelligent Systems' role has shifted a little, to the point they're now supervising and producing/co-developing external titles like Advance Wars Reboot Camp (they were described as supervising) and Fire Emblem Three Houses (we all know how this arrangement worked) as well as developing in-house titles with EPD producers (Paper Mario, WarioWare). EPD producers would presumably remain attached to the goings on at iQue, NST and NERD regardless of how those divisions evolve.

Last edited:
Furukawa expressed last year that Nintendo isn't against investing into mergers and acquisitions.

unknown.png

I definitely don't think they'll be joining the ‘acquisition war’, though. They have no reason to, for the reasons I already explained in my post earlier in the thread. Like I said then, if one of Nintendo's long-time development partners were looking to sell, they’d buy; the same scenario Next Level Games were in last year. That'd be HAL, Intelligent Systems, Game Freak / Creatures, Camelot; maybe Grezzo or Good-Feel at this point. Just can't see them chasing down the major Japanese publishers like Sega, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Koei Tecmo, etc; I don't think any of them will be selling soon regardless.

Seems like Nintendo is continuing to invest more in internal growth than anything else, though multiple avenues. In terms of their main business, video game production, they're working on expanding their Kyoto workforce and office spaces right now

but I think they're also incredibly invested into expanding their IPs outside of video games right now too. There's obviously theme parks with Super Nintendo World and film with Illumination's Mario movie. The Nintendo Store brand is expanding with a second location in Japan, and there's the 'Nintendo Gallery' museum opening in Japan in a few years; those physical businesses feel in line with this type of expansion too. Even further, it seems there's some internal discussion about a in-house movie business.

They plan on investing a lot of Switch profit into this growth, so we might just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

2PWJYyu.jpg
This is very informative and appreciative information. Thanks for sharing it

And of course, there's That Old Chestnut: create a bigger internal development presence outside Japan. Nintendo have subsidiaries like Retro Studios and Next Level, who can lead development on software projects. But the other international subsidiaries - iQue, NST, NERD - don't yet have that capacity. This is an increasingly odd oversight to me, given the range of companies around the world Nintendo willingly entrust their IP to with oversight from EPD. The first step would be to turn iQue, NST, and NERD into subsidiaries like Retro and NLG who can lead development on projects under EPD producers. The eventual goal should be to turn these into regional development hubs with internal and external production. They don't need to be on the scale of EPD, of course; but what if iQue, NST, and NERD could, along with their other duties, lead development on a game at a time, while supervising or producing games with a developer or two in their own region? We might say they've got EPD for that, but any work not being done by EPD frees EPD resources to concentrate on other projects.*

I think Nintendo should definitely look at expanding in Asia, one of the reasons Koei Tecmo is so productive is that they have support studios in places like Vietnam(where the salaries are lower) producing assets for their games.

Expanding their western development would make sense, but I think the reluctance there is probably based on talent retention and also might be why acquiring MercurySteam might not be on the cards; the studio has aspirations of having a high end GaaS game of their own which is antithetical to Nintendo.

I think Nintendo should definitely look at expanding in Asia, one of the reasons Koei Tecmo is so productive is that they have support studios in places like Vietnam(where the salaries are lower) producing assets for their games.

Expanding their western development would make sense, but I think the reluctance there is probably based on talent retention and also might be why acquiring MercurySteam might not be on the cards; the studio has aspirations of having a high end GaaS game of their own which is antithetical to Nintendo.
Well yeah, if they want to streamline EPD, it's surprising they haven't shown more interest in other Asian countries. It's not like they need to buy or set-up lead development studios; further support teams like iQue, 1-UP and NST would be very helpful.

Neither Sony or Nintendo will buy anything that will be no use for them so them buying a whole publisher is out of cards. Sony got Bungie just to expand on the GaaS scene because Sony needs to make some money fast. There's no guarantee that they will produce enough PS5 consoles to have big profits.

Both platform holders will focus on creating bigger and better first party titles so if they were to dish some cash for it, it'll be for independent studios. Studios that Sony and Nintendo would have immediate plans for. KoTec and Capcom own studios that would not be used by Sony or Nintendo in any way. Waste of money.

MS on the other hand, will continue to hoard IP's. They probably haven't even decided what to do with the first wave of their acquisitions.

unknown.png

2PWJYyu.jpg
I’d add that any of those close partners you are talking about would be headhunted rather than acquired. Since they are literally in Nintendo office and they don’t own the trademarks they are useless if bought while the rest can be folded into EPD. The important thing was that NLG was based outside of JP where Nintendo could not fold them into EPD easily. So any sale would lead to a talent drain which they didn’t want. Mercury Stream is doubtful to be acquired for various reasons: internal management problems, light scandals, another company owning 40% stock, and aspirations of bigger games.

The internal expansion is fine if they continue to invest a chunk of their profits into it every quarter. Perhaps eventually you’ll see NOA or NOE become part of the game development apparatus. As they stated themselves they are looking to acquire technology rather then devs/pubs/ip. It’s a smart way to go especially for areas that they need help in now or for future products. They should probably be looking to establish themselves in the wider Asia region with partnerships, at least one strong one per country. Ultimately I’ve said it before but if they are looking to acquire then this is what they should be looking for:
PC
Mobile
GaaS support studio/team
Animation
Port studio/team
Classics studio/team
As I said though they don’t need to acquire to implement them. Expansions and headhunting can do it too. The other way is to true and convince your partners to fall into the fold and then start expanding them into these sorts of roles. But that is a risky gamble. I think it will be interesting to see what Nintendo does in the next decade and beyond. Maybe they’ll turn Kyoto into tech company college campus sites like Apple or Facebook.

That's a loaded question. I think I posted very early in this thread that I personally don't think any of the large publishers are a great fit and either overpriced (in relation to what Nintendo would get out of them) or unattainable in the first place. Nintendo buying KT is an amusing meme but it doesn't make much sense to me. The only somewhat possible scenario I can see is Nintendo merging with Bandai Namco one day, but it's not something I'd personally want. In general, I'd prefer no large disruptive moves if they can be avoided.

In some ways they're already doing a lot of stuff that I want to see: Internal expansion of their studios, securing important partners like NLG, having NST take a larger role in development etc. It's just that this should have happened ages ago, imo. Due to EPD's limited bandwidth and the difficulty in finding suitable partners we've seen a lot of their legacy IP fall by the wayside. Not everything has to be brought back but there's no reason why Donkey Kong doesn't have a dedicated team, for example. And it has limited their ability to work on new IP as well. If EPD 4, 5 and and 9 can do Ring Fit, Splatoon and Arms, there's no reason why EPD3 and 8 can't do the same. Should they also grow Retro and NLG so they can handle two projects at a time and maybe even have NST take the lead on a game of their own that would be gravy.

In terms of current partnerships and acquisitions, it's a bit more tricky because it obviously depends a lot on what their partners want as well. To be fair to Nintendo, I think the current arrangements with GF, HAL, IntSys and Grezzo work perfectly fine. And we've seen them get even closer over the past few years which I deem as a positive.

Where I see risks and/or chances (in spoilers for legibility):
- Camelot has been undersized for a while and it's affected the quality of their games. We don't know if Nintendo is able to make them hire more people but it's something they have to keep an eye on, especially if they want the Tennis and Golf series to continue. The older Takahashi is approaching retirement age and his brother (who's still credited as director for all of their games) isn't that much younger. Not that this has stopped people in the gaming industry from working but I hope they've made plans.
  • Not sure what the deal with Good-Feel is. They are historically very close to Nintendo but they also haven't released anything for them since Crafted World three years ago, not even support work from what I can tell. Perhaps we'll see their next game this year? Depending on how Kirby does, it might make sense to explore other IP going 3D like Yoshi or Wario (again) which they might be well suited for. I don't think they need to be acquired for this though and seeing how they've started self-publishing smaller games, they probably don't want to anyway.
  • From an outsider's perspective PlatinumGames seems like an extremely volatile partner but we obviously don't know what's happening behind the scenes. They're definitely the most difficult one to "secure": They are fiercely independent, have an ongoing partnership with Square Enix (which hopefully for them won't suffer from Babylon's Fall) and they got a capital investment from Tencent. Plus they're rather big and growing so probably not a very appealing buy, especially since they have no IP of note to their name. If Nintendo ever runs the risk of losing them as development partner I think it'd make sense to finally make use of that Osaka office and poach some people from PG. I guess the spicy take here is that PG needs Nintendo more than the other way around.
  • MercurySteam is a tough one because as you say, the studio heads seem to have very different aspirations. Apparently they're working on the next game with Nintendo but between Project Iron and the Nordisk Film investment, I'm not sure how long this partnership will last. And since Nintendo has virtually no development presence in Europe, let alone Spain, it'd be back to finding another developer for 2D Metroid.

I guess my "want" here is a bit more nebulous but I'd like to have some confidence that these partnerships can persist despite the current acquisition-heavy climate. They've already lost several partners over the past few years due to various reasons and while there was obviously no point in buying companies riddled with debt, their absence is still felt.

Beyond that, I have to echo a lot of what MisterSpo is saying. Expanding in regions outside of Japan is a must, whatever shape that may take. Buying small devs to hurry it along could be an option but I'm drawing a blank on which ones.

I doubt they will start acquiring smaller devs to jump-start any potential overseas development. The most likely course of action would be to either make a really close partnership with 1-2 studios; or start expanding some of the assets they already have.
  • NST
  • iQue
  • NERD
  • NOA
  • NOE
  • Brownie Brown
  • NLG
  • Retro
We’ll have to see if any of their partners wanna sell but my guess is Nintendo will poach the talent if they are close by.

This is really more of a fan’s wishlist than a remotely realistic approach to managing a video game company. Also see what @Oregano said.

Nintendo is also exploring other revenue streams now. And if they somehow lose all the big third party pubs, I wager they can survive on their first party IPs (not only the games but also stuff like film and merch) as well as indie support.
Controversial opinion: In an absolute doomsday scenario where they did lose all the big third party pubs (which I don't see happening) and Nintendo was struggling for content, there would be little reason for them not to allow Gamepass on the Switch barring certain restrictions and with obvious perks. MS and Nintendo have a good relationship, Phil loves the Switch, and they want the service on as many devices possible. It would also fill the need for big third party AAA on the platform in one fell swoop.

Just echoing what some of you have said. Nintendo is focused on internal growth and fostering creativity amongst its teams. Microsoft is brute forcing themselves into gaming by purchasing studios instead of developing a team of their own and creating new IP. It is quite sad, frankly.
It isn't that easy to build up your own team and creating a new IP. Google tried that with Stadia and already pulled the plug before they even tried. That is the problem as well with development. If you go make your own console or platform you need to be able to keep up with it. As far as I can tell, Nintendo is the only console holder that has done this successfully. Both Microsoft and Sony have been buying companies over the last decades to build up their output. Sony for example bought Insomniac and Naughty Dog in the early 2000's. Perhaps even more.

Those aquisitions are different I agree. But as far as I know the acquisitions that Microsoft and Sony both did where not hostile takeovers and especially in Microsoft case it seems Zenimax and Activison | Blizzard were looking to sell. Unless somebody can tell me otherwise. Even then the point of building up your own studio's like Nintendo is hard.

Controversial opinion: In an absolute doomsday scenario where they did lose all the big third party pubs (which I don't see happening) and Nintendo was struggling for content, there would be little reason for them not to allow Gamepass on the Switch barring certain restrictions and with obvious perks. MS and Nintendo have a good relationship, Phil loves the Switch, and they want the service on as many devices possible. It would also fill the need for big third party AAA on the platform in one fell swoop.

I mean looking at some of their older consoles and you see that they still can do fine. Just look at the data we have for their older consoles and which games sold the best:
The top titles were all Nintendo games. And the Nintendo Switch top games are Nintendo games.

Nintendo will go their own path. They don't tend to follow industry trends very closely nor do they need to.

There will never be any shortage of development talent willing to partner up with Nintendo on their own IP's. It's money in the bank.

Given the expense and development time of games today, Rare would never be able to replicate what they did for the N64 today. Look at what they are currently doing for Xbox for a clearer picture.

A Nintendo run Capcom is great fan fiction, but what would it realistically amount to? A Capcom that is mostly emptied out within a few years and Nintendo having staff them themselves with their own talent. Nintendo doesn't need Capcom's IP. They have enough of their own and could make new IP or collaborate with other developers if they want to broaden their scope.

I gotta disagree on there never being a shortage of development staff to partner with. We have seen major periods without consistent releases, although things have improved quite a bit with the Switch. That being said, Nintendo is relying quite a bit on Bandai Namco (Smash, Mario Kart, Arms, Metroid at one point) and Koei Tecmo (Fire Emblem, Musou spin-offs) to assist with the development of their own IP. If one or both of those companies got scooped up, I really think it would be problematic for Nintendo. I think some of the smaller studios Nintendo works with could be replaced, but it would be hard to replace these bigger guys if the market continues to consolidate.

I agree Capcom is a tough one, but I feel like that has to more to do with lacking system requirements that franchises like Resident Evil require rather the bulk of the staff likely leaving. No doubt some would leave, but I doubt it would be the majority of the workforce. Again, this is all based on a hypothetical scenario in which the gaming industry has undergone mass consolidation and it’s possible working for Nintendo may be far more attractive than the alternatives.

In regards to Nintendo developing their own mature or western oriented IP, I really don’t see that being possible. Yes, they could try to fund some dead IP from 3rd parties like they did with Bayonetta, but most of properties are dead for a reason and not worth revisiting financially. The point about Rare wasn’t whether their output would be sustainable if still with Nintendo (as it wouldn’t), but rather that they developed games that tailored to a broader audience. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct & Conker’s greatly diversified Nintendo’s portfolio. Nintendo has also lost key western partners like Silicon Knights (MGS: Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness), Monster Games (Excite series, Pilotwings, DK support), & Left Field Studios (NBA Courtside series, Excitebike 64) while also seeing their own in-house studios in both Retro (Prime / DK) and NST (Wave Race, 1080, Ridge Racer, Metroid) flounder. With the exception of NLG, Nintendo has failed to build a consistent pipeline of western development resources and they were smart to buy them out when they had the chance. Perhaps we’re going to see a rebound here from Retro & NST, but that’s not going to be enough to offset the losses more mature / western content that could arise from industry consolidation.

Fully agree. I work for a major Japanese company and previously was part of their M&A team in North America. They like Nintendo were very conservative and only liked smaller, safer deals. Then our main competitors started going on a buying spree and slowly but surely our motto changed and we now actively participate. I know it’s easy to say Nintendo will avoid M&A and just go down their own path, but at some point market forces dictate the strategy. And as we all saw in the Wii U days, Nintendo can not support an HD console on their own. As such, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they feel the need to be aggressive and proactively secure key external partners in the coming years.

I imagine those might be the three they'd face the stiffest counteroffers from Sony on, were they to be purchased.

One-Does-Not-Simply.jpg

I think Nintendo has more money than Sony, Microsoft would be the problem for counter offers
The problem with buying From that I think Leica is referring to is that it's fully owned by Kadokawa Corp, a large media conglomerate worth roughly $30B.

Fully agree. I work for a major Japanese company and previously was part of their M&A team in North America. They like Nintendo were very conservative and only liked smaller, safer deals. Then our main competitors started going on a buying spree and slowly but surely our motto changed and we now actively participate. I know it’s easy to say Nintendo will avoid M&A and just go down their own path, but at some point market forces dictate the strategy. And as we all saw in the Wii U days, Nintendo can not support an HD console on their own. As such, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if they feel the need to be aggressive and proactively secure key external partners in the coming years.
I mean it is not always going to be applicable due to differences in industry so one Japanese company changing course doesn’t mean they all will. Nintendo rarely uses M&As and while they say it is not off the table; I suspect they mean for stuff outside the game industry like animation or the cloud as examples. As we have also seen with Switch they are not carrying a console alone anymore. Indies, mobile ports, and PC ports are helping to fill in the gaps unless you think Sony, Microsoft, Tencent, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. is going to buy every single dev/team/publisher. Or these companies wanna engage in lengthy hostile takeovers.

I mean even if the do become more aggressive who exactly are you thinking they should acquire.
Their close partners? They don’t have any notable ip to speak of and Nintendo can bring those who want to leave into the EPD fold.
Other Japanese devs? Most of them, the ones constantly being thrown around, are expensive, often have outside ventures, would be time consuming to incorporate, and potential talent bleed.
Outside third parties? Who would be a good target for Nintendo who doesn’t break the bank. As we saw with Bungie a partnership could cost in the realm of 3.6$bn. There are not that many mid sized studios who are independent and not owned. I guess indies but may as well just partner with them or fund a project of theirs.

At this point I think Nintendo is gonna have to grow organically, continue to create partnerships, and maybe expand some of their overseas studios. They don’t really have the cash, nor want, to spend big amounts that would basically “X” then out of any future potential sales.

Last edited:
I think there’s only 5 major 3rd party devs left to buy

Capcom
Fromsoftware
Square
EA
Take two

Those are like the only megatons left isn’t it?

That entire list I am doubtful of for numerous reasons. Unless they have all talked about selling in the near future at least 4 have shown no intention to sell. Only one seems plausible but we’ll have to see what their year has in store.

I honestly don't think Nintendo is going to acquire anyone anytime soon, especially after just having gotten Next Level Games.

They might consider opening up a new development studio somewhere, but even that would require considerable investment.

The problem with buying From that I think Leica is referring to is that it's fully owned by Kadokawa Corp, a large media conglomerate worth roughly $30B.
That's indeed what I was referring to. From already has been "bought".

This was in 2020, Sony is also Japanese so Nintendo apparently had more than Sony in 2020 don’t know what it is now
That 8 billion dollars for that year was simply the cash Nintendo had on hand. You have to remember Sony is a tech conglomerate, bigger than just Playstation. Sony has more overall cash, and a bigger capacity to take credit or give stock.

You can check out Toyo Keizai (though the site is in Japanese) and in their evaluation of the richest companies in Japan, currently Sony is in first place, and Nintendo is at 11th.

I mean it is not always going to be applicable due to differences in industry so one Japanese company changing course doesn’t mean they all will. Nintendo rarely uses M&As and while they say it is not off the table; I suspect they mean for stuff outside the game industry like animation or the cloud as examples. As we have also seen with Switch they are not carrying a console alone anymore. Indies, mobile ports, and PC ports are helping to fill in the gaps unless you think Sony, Microsoft, Tencent, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. is going to buy every single dev/team/publisher. Or these companies wanna engage in lengthy hostile takeovers.

I mean even if the do become more aggressive who exactly are you thinking they should acquire.
Their close partners? They don’t have any notable ip to speak of and Nintendo can bring those who want to leave into the EPD fold.
Other Japanese devs? Most of them, the ones constantly being thrown around, are expensive, often have outside ventures, would be time consuming to incorporate, and potential talent bleed.
Outside third parties? Who would be a good target for Nintendo who doesn’t break the bank. As we saw with Bungie a partnership could cost in the realm of 3.6$bn. There are not that many mid sized studios who are independent and not owned. I guess indies but may as well just partner with them or fund a project of theirs.

At this point I think Nintendo is gonna have to grow organically, continue to create partnerships, and maybe expand some of their overseas studios. They don’t really have the cash, nor want, to spend big amounts that would basically “X” then out of any future potential sales.

If I were Nintendo, I would be looking at the larger Japanese companies and make sure I’m not just paying a premium for IP (so sorry Konami). That leaves Sega, Capcom, Square Enix, Koei Tecmo, & Bandai Namco. I personally think that Capcom fills the most gaps from an IP perspective, has a market cap that should be doable, and doesn’t have a bunch of side businesses that create complexity. If not them, I’d target Square Enix for similar reasons. I also think Capcom & Square Enix are also the two studios of the five referenced above that would be the most attractive to Microsoft & Sony and would be at greatest risk of acquisition. If you’re trying to play a defensive move and pick one that’s actually feasible I think those are your two primary targets.

If I were Nintendo, I would be looking at the larger Japanese companies and make sure I’m not just paying a premium for IP (so sorry Konami). That leaves Sega, Capcom, Square Enix, Koei Tecmo, & Bandai Namco. I personally think that Capcom fills the most gaps from an IP perspective, has a market cap that should be doable, and doesn’t have a bunch of side businesses that create complexity. If not them, I’d target Square Enix for similar reasons. I also think Capcom & Square Enix are also the two studios of the five referenced above that would be the most attractive to Microsoft & Sony and would be at greatest risk of acquisition. If you’re trying to play a defensive move and pick one that’s actually feasible I think those are your two primary targets.
Both Capcom and Square Enix have projects targeting higher end hardware that would be of no use to Nintendo.

And if Nintendo targeted either of those companies, it might drive Sony to make a defensive acquisition, and Nintendo can’t outspend Sony.

Not sure about that Sony was almost BK just 5-7 years ago

I’m not exactly sure about Sony’s financial standing, but it seems like some people focus too much on size / market cap and ignore the balance sheet. Most major companies aren’t sitting on the cash reserves that Nintendo is and that strong financial position allows them to borrow significant funds if they so choose. Also, when it comes to Sony, their capital has to support multiple SBUs, so there will always be competing priorities. This is a much smaller issue for Nintendo.

Neither of those would work as already mentioned. And, how much money do you think Nintendo is spending here? This is not a game here where you can do this. Once either or neither is bought then you have 1) no cash to purchase anyone else; or 2) let everyone else know you are now targeting them. But let’s say you could get Capcom or SE how do you prevent talent loss? What would you do with say SE merchandise and anime divisions? How about their PC ports will that continue? Would you honor past agreements with things like FF14? If your Nintendo is this all cash, stocks, a loan? Do you wanna deal with any debt the company has?
Thinking as Nintendo why would I wanna go through this hassle when I can go the less expensive and relatively smooth route of head hunting, internal growth, and partnerships.

I think there’s only 5 major 3rd party devs left to buy

Capcom
Fromsoftware
Square
EA
Take two

Those are like the only megatons left isn’t it?

Nope there's still quite a few, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Konami, Sega

Edit: just noticed, if this revenue list is accurate, Microsoft could overtake Nintendo and Tencent on revenue if you sum the Activision's revenue, though probably it's not that simple

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom