• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope | Review Thread

Luigi’s Mansion 3 got the same score as 2 despite being considered a better game by literally everyone on the planet. Franchises just have a review range, it is what it is.

A score in the 80s indicates a quality game, that’s really the only thing to be taken from Metacritic.

Those are some great reviews, people need to chill.

Honestly, Bayonetta 3 and Zelda TotK are the only announced first party Nintendo Switch games left that have a chance to break the 90s wall.
Prime 4 maybe too, but I'm still a bit wary.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 got the same score as 2 despite being considered a better game by literally everyone on the planet. Franchises just have a review range, it is what it is.

A score in the 80s indicates a quality game, that’s really the only thing to be taken from Metacritic.
Preach. What i kept saying over and over.

No matter how qualitt you are, you will never achieve certain numbers.

People are bothered over it getting the same rrviews as 1, just like lm3 got the same reviews as 2.

Those are some great reviews, people need to chill.

Honestly, Bayonetta 3 and Zelda TotK are the only announced first party Nintendo Switch games left that have a chance to break the 90s wall.
Prime 4 maybe too, but I'm still a bit wary.
Bayonetta 3 and if Metroid Prime Remaster was coming were the only 2 Nintendo games I saw having a chance at 90+

I dunno, I'm certainly expecting TotK to get an 11/10 or else I will be convinced it is not a worthwhile follow up.

Waluigi/10

Waluigi.png

The 1st game was easily an 9/10 game in my opinion. I love the rabbids. I just didn’t like the end boss in the 1st game.

This will be an easy day 1 purchase.

Enjoy to those that are purchasing it.
Don't buy a game without mentioning you're not buying the game challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

But seriously give it a try if you haven't, it's a fantastic series (based on the first entry of course)!

flop

I'm kidding, it sounds fantastic, I loved this game and I'm glad to see it's being reviewed well because my one biggest wish while playing the OG was having more freedom of movement

The turnaround from the initial leaks I don’t think I’ve ever seen in video games. With how much people were shitting on the leaks years ago to today a sequel and another highly rated game.

Just goes to show how tough game journalists have become since the Switch launched. "Better than the first" by nearly every conceivable metric on nearly every review, yet scoring the same (which is a terrific score no matter how you slice it).

Bayonetta 3 has a chance, Tears of the Kingdom will clear 90, Metroid Prime 4 has a chance too. And of course Pikmin 4 and whenever the next 3D Mario comes.

I’ll definitely but it at some point, but it’s hard to justify getting it at full price when Ubisoft titles tend to get massive price cuts fairly soon after release.

Think people need to brace themselves that Tears of the Kingdom might score less than BOTW. Might score the exact score too
We’re talking about a 97. That’s a holy grail hard to achieve. I don’t think TotK will reach 97 and that’s ok. It’s just a subjective number at the end of the day.

We also have to remember the context of BotW and what it did for a decades old beloved franchise. TotK won’t be able to reach that again. When people bring up Majoras Mask to OoT it really kind of is like that.

Think people need to brace themselves that Tears of the Kingdom might score less than BOTW. Might score the exact score too
100% will be lower. After Steam Deck reviewers have been acting like the Switch is a Game Boy, and anything not 720p (where Steam Drck regularly runs many games with almost same ppi as the Switch). I never will understand why other systems late in life weren't constantly complained about, but Switch has for years. Can barely get a review today without someone whining about it l, wishing it was on the Deck or something.

Yeah not to derail the thread but TotK will likely fall to the 89 curse imo
No way, I know people get mad when talking about Zelda favoritism because it’s commonly used by console warriors but Zelda favoritism does exist to an extent. The game would have to suck hard to not get in the 90s. A 93-94 like Skyward Sword is more reasonable.

Don't think that's really in question. Only one game in the past 9 years has done that, and that was Super Mario Odyssey.

Lock for 90+ though, will probably end up as the 3rd best reviewed Switch game.

I’ll definitely but it at some point, but it’s hard to justify getting it at full price when Ubisoft titles tend to get massive price cuts fairly soon after release.
Yeah. This should be getting discounts of $30 or less by next year and the first game routinely went on sale for $15. Makes sense to wait, especially if you’re buying digital and can get the gold edition for $20 or less in a year. It’s just the way of Ubisoft, even for their games that had Nintendo properties.

100% will be lower. After Steam Deck reviewers have been acting like the Switch is a Game Boy, and anything not 720p (where Steam Drck regularly runs many games with almost same ppi as the Switch). I never will understand why other systems late in life weren't constantly complained about, but Switch has for years. Can barely get a review today without someone whining about it l, wishing it was on the Deck or something.
I saw someone in this crowd elsewhere question why the game wasn't multiplatform. The implication being that it should've been on the Deck so they could make the usual "if you have no other option like a peasant, then I guess you could try the Switch version" comment.

Edit: this was not a reviewer, just someone on Discord.

Hm you know despite wanting to get this game at launch for a while, I'm actually leaning towards waiting for now. I have enough to play, Bayo 3 looks amazing and is coming out next week (Edit: While I do feel for Hellena Taylor in this situation I don't personally feel like there was a significant ethical issue for me to not buy the game, though of course anyone is welcome to feel very differently), and while the reviews are undoubtedly great, the general vibe I get is that I'd be fine waiting to play this when it eventually goes on sale

Granted this could just be a temporary feeling and I'll be back to day 1 before launch

Last edited:
No way, I know people get mad when talking about Zelda favoritism because it’s commonly used by console warriors but Zelda favoritism does exist to an extent. The game would have to suck hard to not get in the 90s. A 93-94 like Skyward Sword is more reasonable.
it wouldn't have to suck hard, it just has to not live up

the expectations have never been higher so I could see it falling below 90

Around what I was expecting. Similar to what the original got, doesn't have the benefit of being something totally new and different this time but is probably a better game overall.

numeric approximations of complex critical opinions are always going to be a bit arbitrary imo, but I've never understood the idea that every game marginally better than its predecessor deserves a higher score. doing the same thing and sanding off a few of the edges shouldn't automatically make the number go up, especially with the changing circumstances and expectations that come with like. the passage of time

I like that guardian review, some clever lines in there

Back
Top Bottom