• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Mario Party Superstars | Review Thread

Tris’s review basically said everything I thought. There’s a little too many Lucky Spaces. Too many coins are given out so the economy isn’t quite as good as the originals. They wished there were unlockable characters and a board in the shop. It has less than the originals which this game is celebrating.

Tris did say the online connection was great.
Yup the reviews are pretty expected. It also seems that you can't add more turns if you do a 30 turn game. A bit weird but whatever. The bank also only takes 3 coins instead of 5. Really makes no sense since they're handing out coins like it doesn't mean anything. So weird but whatever. I'll still play the heck out of it.

I will say though that they put a lot of work into making the game look good. The graphical redesigns of games and boards is great.

Tris’s review basically said everything I thought. There’s a little too many Lucky Spaces. Too many coins are given out so the economy isn’t quite as good as the originals. They wished there were unlockable characters and a board in the shop. It has less than the originals which this game is celebrating.

Tris did say the online connection was great.
Doesn’t this just mean people will have more stars by the end of a match? I don’t see how giving out more coins changes much

Less coins less stars vs more coins more stars, result is the same it just looks different

There are certain genres where the review scores do not mean anything. Puzzle/Rhythm/Party/Educational/Miscellaneous games are never reviewed with the full scale and an open mind.

Some Mario Party games are better than others yes, but the best ones in the series are a 10/10 experience when played with the right friends. Gaming really doesn't get much better than this.

Yup the reviews are pretty expected. It also seems that you can't add more turns if you do a 30 turn game. A bit weird but whatever. The bank also only takes 3 coins instead of 5. Really makes no sense since they're handing out coins like it doesn't mean anything. So weird but whatever. I'll still play the heck out of it.

I will say though that they put a lot of work into making the game look good. The graphical redesigns of games and boards is great.
Since the originals had two banks on the boards that took 5 coins, they bumped up the number to 3 on a board, but they now take 3 coins, which makes sense to me imo.

Since the originals had two banks on the boards that took 5 coins, they bumped up the number to 3 on a board, but they now take 3 coins, which makes sense to me imo.
If the economy was the same I'd agree. There just isn't enough on the boards taking away coins. The Lucky spaces hand out so many items so that means you may not have to buy an item in the shop. However, if you were to buy an item from the shop the items are kind of cheap.

Sounds like a better rating than most of the latest entries, might finally check out a Party game, didn't since the N64.

And there’s still not any reviews that says how online play works with friends and randoms?
Um to be honest Idk. I'll try to keep an ear open for it though.
They’re are some people playing online on Twitch right now if you want to check that out.
Yeah I'm watching someone play right now. With my concerns about the economy the person I'm watching doesn't seem to be having a big issue with it. Meaning the economy seems okay. Granted he's only played Peach's Birthday Cake and Horror Land. Peach's Cake it got a little out of hand but Bowser kinda checks it a bit. Horror Land though, I think he is almost halfway done. 6 stars have been given and collectively the players have around 120 coins.

So maybe my fears are a little overdone or it depends on the board.

Edit: It took a couple turns for 3 players to approach 100 coins lmao.
Edit 2: In the end like 1400 coins had been handed out in total.

Last edited:
Doesn’t this just mean people will have more stars by the end of a match? I don’t see how giving out more coins changes much

Less coins less stars vs more coins more stars, result is the same it just looks different

In the ideal game there's some.balance between all the uses of coins, not just stars, where you might have to make a tactical decision which avenue to spend them on. Typically this has meant items in the past, but could also be other things like changing the board, paying to use a shortcut, or others. If you have a glut of coins practically all the time, these aren't really decisions if you should always be reasonably able to take them when the major downside, sacrificing some coins, isn't that big of a deal

In the ideal game there's some.balance between all the uses of coins, not just stars, where you might have to make a tactical decision which avenue to spend them on. Typically this has meant items in the past, but could also be other things like changing the board, paying to use a shortcut, or others. If you have a glut of coins practically all the time, these aren't really decisions if you should always be reasonably able to take them when the major downside, sacrificing some coins, isn't that big of a deal
This. Players really won't have much issues buying stars or buying an item they want.

I mean, in a way, what we are really complaining about I feel is that the bad players have a chance to win now lol. It's technically more fair but it does take away from the game a bit.

Loving the scores. I need to pick this up and bring it to a Halloween party.

screenshot2021-10-28a2zkaj.png

This. Players really won't have much issues buying stars or buying an item they want.

I mean, in a way, what we are really complaining about I feel is that the bad players have a chance to win now lol. It's technically more fair but it does take away from the game a bit.

Honestly that's fine and fitting for Mario Party, I steamroll my friends in Smash but with MP they can fuck me up too and gloat about that lol, that's just fun.

For a mindless party game the scores are pretty great!
Will definitely grab it down the line, but personally I didn't need reviews to tell me that.

It seems like every Mario Party game is a few bad design decisions away from being fantastic. Super was sooooo close...
Yeah. With Super, the main classic style was lacking due to the small boards and some of the mechanics. And the character side were cool but way too unbalanced.

However, partner party was a blast because there was some actual strategy involved with calculating your path, especially since you have to land exactly on some parts.

Yeah. With Super, the main classic style was lacking due to the small boards and some of the mechanics. And the character side were cool but way too unbalanced.

However, partner party was a blast because there was some actual strategy involved with calculating your path, especially since you have to land exactly on some parts.
Partner Party is some of the best multiplayer gaming ever. The battles my family have had have been epic, haha.

Back
Top Bottom