• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

(Late to the party)

Rika

Bob-omb
Banned
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
71LgxJZq-RL._SX342_.jpg

I am really late to the party, so yeah! I so far am not very far, but am enjoying it. It reminds me a lot of the old Mario and Luigi games with a mix of some Paper Mario. I bought via the eShop so it was like $20.

I loved the E3 trailer for the game too and it interested me back then, but just never bought it.

Below are videos promoting the game, so be bandwidth warning!

So what did you like if you played of it, and what did you dislike? Discuss

This game would have been great if it was 20 hours instead of 40, just so much padding it really dragged the game down for me.

It's very underappreciated, I feel. It's not as good as BiS, but I had a ton of fun with it. The battle mechanics are probably my favorite of the series. I love pulling off the Luigi mob moves.

Unfortunately it's about 10-15 hours too long, which is where a lot of people get a more lukewarm reception of it.

Hell of a lot better than Paper Jam, that's for sure.

I actually just finished my first playthrough two days ago. Um…when I reflected on the journey I came away with mixed feelings. The overworld is still mostly fun, but those dream sections kill the pacing. Every time you feel like you accomplished something your “reward” is another dream section. Some are pretty fun, but the ones that drag, definitely drag. There’s also too little enemy variety for every area of the game. The two different types of battles are fun, but when you do too much of them over and over it gets to you. The giant battles are fairly cool too.

Also people were not kidding about the over tutorialization. This game is terrified you won’t understand something. The few times they’ll say ok you figure out, you’ll move an inch and it’s right back to more tutorials lol.

If they trimmed like ten to fifteen hours of the game, it would be so much better.

I've had this game in my backlog since it released in 2013. I should probably play it, especially since last year I finally beat BIS from my backlog.

Man, I have a lot of unfinished games...

I skipped every Mario and Luigi game after Partners in Time.

I can’t even remember if I actually liked Partners in Time since I played that in Middle school lol. All I remember is “damn these bosses won’t die, how much HP do they have”.

Loved the first game. But the series never really interested me. Partners in time was a gift.

Dream Team basically has the same design philosophy as Skyward Sword, in both the good ways and the absolutely terrible ways.
this is honestly a really good way of putting it

there's a lot of fun one-shot ideas in both, but it's absolutely brought down by abysmal pacing and over tutoralization

I skipped every Mario and Luigi game after Partners in Time.

I can’t even remember if I actually liked Partners in Time since I played that in Middle school lol. All I remember is “damn these bosses won’t die, how much HP do they have”.

Loved the first game. But the series never really interested me. Partners in time was a gift.
Bowser's Inside Story is definitely worth a play, even though it doesn't top Superstar Saga.

I’ve had Dream Team in my backlog since basically forever it seems. I’ve also had the first game in my backlog since it came out on GBA, tho.. I’ve still got that cartridge, and I have it on Wii U. Eventually I’ll play it, I promise.

Everyone seems to hate this one, and while I agree that the pacing could be better, I personally love it

It was probably the last Mario RPG we'll ever get with plenty of OCs and original boss designs. Plus the soundtrack is some amazing shit

Really glad your enjoying your time with the game, Rika! I enjoyed it from the jump but I felt like it got better as it went on. One section dragged a bit for me but once I got past it I loved the rest of the game. The Dreamy Luigi sections are super creative, the dialogue is consistently hilarious, the music is wonderful and the boss battles are amazingly epic.

So I came into this game with not a lot of hope. Bowser's inside story kinda left a sour taste in my mouth because late game dragged more than the previous games and they dragged a little too. I lasted two hours. I couldn't really tell you what I played because it was that forgetful, but the taste it left has stuck around. There are games that I drop off of and always think about going back to. This is one of the few where I've never had that thought.

To be honest I think I got over the formula these games had and that's probably at the crux of my issue.

I quite enjoyed it. Good overworld puzzles and fun battle system.

Since it sounds like you're not very far, I'll put the next part behind spoilers.
I really wish the game did anything interesting story-wise with diving into Luigi's mind. I know it's a Mario game, but taking the opportunity to explore Luigi's subconscious would've been interesting. Learn how he feels about being the underdog, being in the shadow of his brother, if he worries about holding Mario back, etc. There was a bit in one of the prerelease trailers with Luigi shadows running behind Mario saying something like "Don't leave me behind bro" that gave me a little bit of hope in this regard, but alas, it was all super surface level.

It has the best music in the series. Some found it too long. Draggin a lot. Tbh I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

The Mario & Luigi series were such comfy games, they honestly did a lot for me to appreciate the Mario universe more, until the toad-gate that is... I will never understand how the series imploded, I would still love to play a new Mario & Luigi game!

I'll wait for Steam Deck and play them all back to back.

Anyway imo you're in for a treat OP, if you can muster the patience to sit through a lot of tutorial it will pay off in the end!

The game looks gorgeous visually, i love how it looks. Sadly it's way too padded that i never finished it--think i dropped it 3/4 of the way in. Though i did enjoy what i did play of it.

I'll echo what everyone is saying about the pacing. It's too long for its own good and it never really takes the training wheels off as far as its puzzles go until the last 1/4 of the game.

That being said though? There's a lot to like about it. The battle system is excellent, and the game is tough as nails (seriously! The series suddenly had a massive difficulty spike from Dream Team onwards and I love it!). The gameplay system with the bottom screen Luigi is also genuinely novel, even if the puzzles are somewhat ruined by the incessent tutorialising. And of course, the visuals and music are sensationally good.

Dream Team isn't the best game in the series, but it's still a great game.

The soundtrack for this game is absolutely fantastic. Some of the tunes are still burned into my brain 8 years later. It's a great game - I really enjoyed my time with it and I put about 50+ hours into the game. It didn't get old for me at all - the writing is on point and the game looks good in addition to sounding amazing.

This game would have been great if it was 20 hours instead of 40, just so much padding it really dragged the game down for me.
Ouch, I never took these games to be longer than 20 or so. Well then...
It's very underappreciated, I feel. It's not as good as BiS, but I had a ton of fun with it. The battle mechanics are probably my favorite of the series. I love pulling off the Luigi mob moves.
I never played BIS before either! That is next on my list to purchase.

Really glad your enjoying your time with the game, Rika! I enjoyed it from the jump but I felt like it got better as it went on. One section dragged a bit for me but once I got past it I loved the rest of the game. The Dreamy Luigi sections are super creative, the dialogue is consistently hilarious, the music is wonderful and the boss battles are amazingly epic.
They look super creative from the trailers I posted of this game. I am gonna have some fun with it it seems!
Since it sounds like you're not very far, I'll put the next part behind spoilers.
undefined
The trailers basically point out the Luigi dream stuff. I knew about the dream stuff with Luigi. Seems...neat though!

Don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said yet. It's too long but there's some quality game there and the soundtrack is sublime. I wish they had trimmed the fat and the overbearing tutorials and we could have had a really great entry. I rank it somewhere in the middle of Mario RPGs with OG Paper Mario and Superstar Saga at the top.

This games dutch translation was sooooooooo goooood. It used multiple dialects from our country and the translated humor was actually good and not cringe.

Probs the best dutch translated nintendo game still.

Like that solid translation alone made this game amazing to me.

I really loved this game back when it came out. I was pretty young at the time so I must’ve not minded the tutorials and padding so much. If I played it right now, my opinion might change. Great OST.

I still hope this series comes back somehow, hopefully with the originality Paper Jam was lacking.

Last edited:
The trailers basically point out the Luigi dream stuff. I knew about the dream stuff with Luigi. Seems...neat though!
Yeah it's not really a spoiler because it's more about what's not in the game than what is, but just uh, temper expectations in that regard lol (if you had them)

Yeah it's not really a spoiler because it's more about what's not in the game than what is, but just uh, temper expectations in that regard lol (if you had them)
I am not expecting anything really amazing, but for sure yeah I am.

Bowser's Inside Story is definitely worth a play, even though it doesn't top Superstar Saga.
I’ve heard this soooo much and yet still haven’t gotten around to play it lol.

I’ll probably end up getting the 3DS remake one day when it hits bargain bin prices. Or look up DS version prices as that’s an option as well.

It’s weird. Love the first game but just never a desire to play anymore of those titles.

I’ll probably end up getting the 3DS remake one day when it hits bargain bin prices. Or look up DS version prices as that’s an option as well.

It’s weird. Love the first game but just never a desire to play anymore of those titles.
I really think Superstar Saga was great, but also like you just never played any of the others. Not out of no interest, just never got around to them. I figured this one would be a good start, but will for sure go for Bowser's Inside Story sometime too.

It's generally fun with some bad pacing. Still a good game, but probably the weakest in the series. I don't think it actually has an ending though. Legend says that whenever a player beats the supposed final boss, the game procedurally generates another 10 hours of content and tutorials to beat. Just goes on forever.

I quite enjoyed it. Good overworld puzzles and fun battle system.

I really wish the game did anything interesting story-wise with diving into Luigi's mind. I know it's a Mario game, but taking the opportunity to explore Luigi's subconscious would've been interesting. Learn how he feels about being the underdog, being in the shadow of his brother, if he worries about holding Mario back, etc. There was a bit in one of the prerelease trailers with Luigi shadows running behind Mario saying something like "Don't leave me behind bro" that gave me a little bit of hope in this regard, but alas, it was all super surface level.
Same here. In the "story" sense the game felt like a lot of missed potential to me.

Regarding the gameplay itself, I'll echo the complaints here about the game's pacing/length. Spending a couple of hours in an area only to then enter the dreamy version of said area got very tiring. Some of the 2D gameplay mechanics they added were kinda neat but I was usually tired by the time they were introduced so I didn't enjoy them much.

Another thing that bothered me about the game is that the series started suffering the Metroid problem of each game having the same progression. If you've played M&L before you can easily guess 90% of the abilities you'll learn throughout the game and that really removes a lot of fun out of it.

Don’t have much more to add. The fact that it’s almost twice the length as the other games in the series meant that I was just burned out by the end.

I understand the complaints but I do hope we get another M&L game one day. Paper Jam felt less inventive but it did answer many if the issues people had with QoL fixes and a shorter game length. Plus it had Nabbit.

Not so long ago I bought all the Mario and Luigi games as I loved the first one but never played the rest. Since then they are in my backlog lol maybe next year.

It's generally fun with some bad pacing. Still a good game, but probably the weakest in the series. I don't think it actually has an ending though. Legend says that whenever a player beats the supposed final boss, the game procedurally generates another 10 hours of content and tutorials to beat. Just goes on forever.

I mean, I totally agree that Dream Team has some big issues that Paper Jam doesn't have (unnecessary padding, over tutorilisation etc), but at least it's overall pretty creative and offers fun characters in a charming world as well as unique gameplay mechanics. Paper Jam on the other hand is super dull and dreadfully uninspired. Sure, there are no tutorials taking the fun out of playing the game, but the problem is there is no fun in the first place.

Not so long ago I bought all the Mario and Luigi games as I loved the first one but never played the rest. Since then they are in my backlog lol maybe next year.

Just do yourself a favour and don't play them all back to back, though. Take some breaks, otherwise you will probably burn out on the series, as they are all pretty samey gameplay-wise.

It's my favorite. I think the 3DS really helped the battle becoming more varied with how you deal with enemy attacks.

Last edited:
Just do yourself a favour and don't play them all back to back, though. Take some breaks, otherwise you will probably burn out on the series, as they are all pretty samey gameplay-wise.
My plan was to use them as light hearted filler games. First I would want revisit the first one.

I loves the Mario & Luigi series, and Dream Team's only crime was being an 8 in a series full of 9s and 10s. Game was definitely padded and long, but it had as much imagination and charm as the rest of them.

Edit: Nintendo will always get a hmph from me for letting Alpha Dream go under and not bringing them into the fold.

53pwcy.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom