• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Mario Kart Tour ending new content updates starting October 2023

mazi

picross pundit
Nintendo has announced that their mobile racing game Mario Kart Tour will no longer see new content updates following October 4, 2023, after the implementation of Battle Tour. From that point onward, all tours will be comprised of previous content.

Mario Kart Tour was initially launched for mobile devices back on September 25, 2019, so it has had four years of new incoming content. Honestly, it’s had a good run. Still, the title will remain playable for the foreseeable future, so fans won’t have to say farewell yet.

F5uYKprasAAaFRt

Aside from FEH, which is mostly IS anyway, Nintendo's mobile efforts seem to have amounted to little more than a wet fart. At leat we got 8DX DLC out of it. Does Animal Crossing Pocket Camp still get new content?

Yep, sounds to me like it's now all hands on deck for MK10.

I never got around to trying this out but it always sucks when a mobile game stop receiving support. Going to be so many games lost to time this way. At least Nintendo had the forethought to 'preserve' Tour's tracks by adding them to 8 Deluxe.

And another Nintendo franchise on mobile bites the dust while Fire Emblem of all things just keeps trucking

Given the news, I wonder how the unused content will be distributed over the two tours. The last routes for the three latest cities and a Mii suit is likely for the anniversary tour, and the Battle tour might have another Mii suit. Not sure what else there could be.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: At a better glance, it looks like the only new content will be added in the Anniversary Tour, so I guess there is not much else to cover.

Last edited:
I do think that it's better than the treatment Dr. Mario World had. With Dr. Mario World, after the last World is announced, they immediately announce the game's shutdown in mere months away. There's no breathing room for interested players to delve into the game, and it's a very huge shame for the game. At least the developers let Mario Kart Tour get reruns to keep the game alive in a sense.

Thank you for reading.

Nintendo: We can finally stop pretending we care about mobile to our investors
Investor: Mr Furukawa, your Switch console is among the best selling ever, your software sales are through the roof, your Mario movie is a blockbuster and your theme parks are incredibly popular. However, when are you going to concentrate on more mobile games with gacha mechanics?

Furukawa: lowers his glasses to fire death rays from his eyes

At this point I think the only Nintendo mobile games left are Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and whatever odd shit The Pokemon Company puts out.

At the very least it doesn't sound like they're pulling the plug on the ability to play the game. Tour will probably have tons of people still playing even without new content just because it's MK on their phone.

Sucks, but it is what it is. I had (and still have) a great time playing this.

Mario Kart Tour ending next month, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe content ending in December… Yeah, I think they’re definitely prepping for a launch window Mario Kart 9; or perhaps they’d go for a double knockout with a dual Mario exclusive launch lineup of Mario Kart 9 and the next 3D Mario?! That would be one hell of a way to start the next generation for them. Wouldn’t be able to keep them on the shelves.

stopping all Mario Kart development to focus on Wave Race instead is such a weird business decision

Nintendo's been reading too much Famiboards

People following datamining have known this was coming since April. Some doubted but the warning signs have been there.

Booster Course Pass really was their way of bringing over all 21 of Tour's brand new courses (plus a good amount of fan favourite classic courses) to a form they'll remain permanently accessible in. Easy way to bring attention back to 8DX, add extra value to NSO+ and get some extra profit off the courses they already designed; a pretty solid scheme. Even with Tour's new loop you'll be waiting up to a year for a course to cycle back in again, so it was never going to be the solution to preserving this content.

You know what's absolutely wild to me? (For the sake of the point i leave Pokemon mobile games out of this)

If you would've told me that of Nintendo's "own" mobile games, it's actually Fire Emblem Heroes that ends up as the one of the suvivors, i would've laughed.

Fire Emblem beat Mario Run (technically, definitely in terms of money made), it survived Dr. Mario, it survived a freaking Mario Kart mobile game.

You know what's absolutely wild to me? (For the sake of the point i leave Pokemon mobile games out of this)

If you would've told me that of Nintendo's "own" mobile games, it's actually Fire Emblem Heroes that ends up as the one of the suvivors, i would've laughed.

Fire Emblem beat Mario Run (technically, definitely in terms of money made), it survived Dr. Mario, it survived a freaking Mario Kart mobile game.
FEH is the one that’s closest to a traditional gacha game in terms of genre. Everything else, aside from Run (which isn’t horrible just forgettable), really tried to shoehorn mobile and gacha mechanics onto something that really isn’t designed for it.

Edit: I expect with this finally coming to pass that the final wave of the Booster Pass is going to arrive sooner than I had originally thought. Early November or even late October seems like a real possibility now, and in the later case I wouldn’t be surprised at an announcement in the upcoming Direct.

Last edited:
it's only a matter of time before Nintendo dissolves the mobile team. hopefully they move to licensing their IPs

Somehow I thought MKT was gonna go on and have some sync going on with the new MK.

This is probably for the best.

Thank god, between this and the Booster Course Pass ending they can finally start working on ARMS 2. There’s been so much Mario Kart there last few years between Tour, Live Home Circut, and 2 years of DLC. The series can take a bit of a rest while I get my springy friends back, please.

Mario Kart Tour being as bad as it was was pretty much the moment I lost the last shreds of faith I had in mobile gaming. And I tried it multiple times, in case it improved after a year of release or whatever.

As I say to all gacha games when they shut down: rest in piss, you won't be missed.

At least we got the MK Booster pack out of it - that alone was worthwhile.

Roll on Mario Kart 9. (Yes, nine.)

It was due to happen at some point. I've had some fun with this game on and off, but it did give us the Booster Course Pass, so it gets a pass from me just for that.

I mean I've been saying since the Booster Course pass was announced that the end of Tour was imminent. They didn't want their hardwork to be lost on some mobile game, so porting it to MK8D preserves it in some fashion.

Now...if only pocket camp would do the same. 😔

Aside from FEH, which is mostly IS anyway, Nintendo's mobile efforts seem to have amounted to little more than a wet fart. At leat we got 8DX DLC out of it. Does Animal Crossing Pocket Camp still get new content?
I think it does but not anything that’s worth it. Their effort shows because they just never were serious about the market only to appease shareholders until they started doing well. I think it a major missed opportunity to their stated goal but what do I know ¯\(ツ)

The Booster course pass adds drivers and courses from past Mario Kart games to MK8DX in special waves

"Lol umm well don't you mean past games and also Mario Kart Tour, which came out after Mario Kart 8 and is still ongoing!"

It has since been made more clear in other localisations of the news article that the Anniversary Tour is the final tour with new content and the Battle Tour is the first one recycling old content.

KoopaV has leaked the contents of the Anniversary Tour (final Tour with new content):

Courses:
Athens Dash 3
Madrid Drive 3
Rome Avanti 3
Sydney Sprint 3 R/T
Berlin Byways 3 R/T

Karts:
Royal Kart (brand new)
Gold Royal Kart
Gold B-Dasher

Gliders:
Rainbow Silver Bells
Gold Mario's Hat
Playing Cards Glider (brand new)

Drivers:
Koopa Clown Mii Suit
Gold Mario

Tour is a spinoff. It plays different than regular mario karts. Fe heroes isn't considered a mainline game either. Pikmin 4 came after hey pikmin but that isn't considered mainline either. They aren't gonna count pikmin bloom as mainline either. The next proper pikmin will be pikmin 5. Also counting tour as a mainline game will be silly here in a year or two when the servers are pulled and the game becomes unplayable.

I’d be surprised if the next Mario Kart is numbered at all, but I’m guessing Tour is considered “9” by them. It’s a lot closer to the console games than FE Heroes or Pikmin Bloom.

Been playing since February last year. I'm really gonna miss it. I almost never click with phone games, but I enjoyed Tour.

I haven't spent a cent on the game and it's a fun timekiller. I'm already loosing the urge to play it knowing that there's no new content to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom