• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass DLC announced, 48 courses by the end of 2023 ($25 / free with NSO Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the uppity, one way to think Abt it is we get courses we haven't played in years, in upgraded fidelity, and even the Tour tracks will likely be tweaked for console controls. And we got the mirror versions of all the above to further šŸŒ¶ļø it up!
Oh yeah, believe me, Iā€™m not complaining at all, lol. I was mainly just thinking about what it will mean for future Mario Kart games, ā€˜cause itā€™ll be weird that there wonā€™t be any ā€œSwitchā€ retro courses despite the most popular Mario Kart game being on Switch, lol.

So, uh.

What if Nintendo just...doesn't add any antigravity mechanics to the returning courses? Only about half of the retro courses got them added in anyway, and those got pretty dramatic overhauls from their source games. Would be pretty easy to put in the Tour courses as simply as possible.

I'm not saying we won't get them, but I won't be surprised if, come release day, antigravity is deemphasized in the returning courses.

The antigrav stuff is really neat, but not necessary imo. At least for my tastes.

I'm also not really bothered by the Tour aesthetic in these added courses(it's mostly charming imo). Okay that's not completely true, the trees and foliage are kinda really distracting to me in pictures, but I doubt I'll care much when playing the game.

Why should I pretend like my standards for the Mario Kart series are not entirely, "Plz just give me more Mario Kart"? Because that's where I have been for like five years now lol.

So, uh.

What if Nintendo just...doesn't add any antigravity mechanics to the returning courses? Only about half of the retro courses got them added in anyway, and those got pretty dramatic overhauls from their source games. Would be pretty easy to put in the Tour courses as simply as possible.

I'm not saying we won't get them, but I won't be surprised if, come release day, antigravity is deemphasized in the returning courses.
Thereā€™s a few places in Tour where I think adding anti-grav would just make the course work / feel better. Tracks like Merry Mountain and (seemingly) Sky Garden have major uphill segments where itā€™d totally fit aesthetically, and mechanically they just add more variety.

I donā€™t think weā€™ll go 48 courses with zero anti-grav; not when, again, the key art for the DLC is showing off the vehicles in anti-gravity mode.

We haven't seen any anti-grav in the trailer, to my knowledge, which, sure, doesn't mean there won't be... but you'd think if there was they would bother showing it.

My prediction is almost all courses will be taken from Tour, like:

13 from Tour
5 each from SNES, N64, GBA, NGC, DS, Wii, 3DS.

In total, each game from SNES to 3DS would have around half of their circuits (8/9) in MK8 DX.

This year marks Mario Kart 30th anniversary and this is a (indirect) way to celebrate. It would be really cool if they add 16 bit of the original 8 racers, like they did with MK Tour.

It's not really looking like we're getting anything different from what is being offered on tour, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think they would have shown new/remixed content in the first trailer of all things if it existed, but maybe this DLC was developed on a short notice and they didn't have enough time to have new content in the first wave, who knows.

Watching the trailer again, the voice over said "you may recognize some of these tracks from previous games" and listed every game in the series. Makes me think the door on original tracks isn't closed

I'm very much looking forward to the remixes of the music. It is apparent that Coconut Mall got a remix so I'm super interest in finding out what tracks like Shroom Ridge (which doesn't have a remix because it is the first time it is reappearing since DS).
Watching the trailer again, the voice over said "you may recognize some of these tracks from previous games" and listed every game in the series. Makes me think the door on original tracks isn't closed
Takahashi said the DLC is 'remastering select courses from across the Mario Kart series' which doesn't sound like it is leaving room for new original tracks. I think what the voice over said means that some of these retro tracks will be new to people so they may or may not recognize them.

Happy one month until the Booster Course Pack! I still kinda can't believe we're getting this much new content.

I've been hyperfocusing working on the ST throughout yesterday and I'm really excited.

So here's footage of Sky Garden from Mario Kart Tour. Like the other GBA tracks, it got a rearrangement for Tour, something the majority of courses don't get. The big question here will be whether or not they reuse this mix for the Booster Course Pass or make a new one.

We already know that Coconut Mall has an original mix with higher quality instrumentation . Will the same hold true for Sky Garden? Or will we just be sticking to synths for this one?

I really wished they released the first pack this month lol this wait is brutal
The wait will be worth it. Gives me time to finish Arceus and other small games before this and Kirby come out.
Still no official confirmation about anti gravity segments?
Nothing yet, no - the closest we got is the fact that the official art shows all four characters using anti gravity.

So here's footage of Sky Garden from Mario Kart Tour. Like the other GBA tracks, it got a rearrangement for Tour, something the majority of courses don't get. The big question here will be whether or not they reuse this mix for the Booster Course Pass or make a new one.

We already know that Coconut Mall has an original mix with higher quality instrumentation . Will the same hold true for Sky Garden? Or will we just be sticking to synths for this one?

Official YouTube upload now.

Feeling optimistic that 8DX will have a different arrangement for the reasons i've expressed across the thread so far. I guess even DS arrangements are just too plain for them to use with GBA (but its okay for SNES tracks like Choco Mountain...?)

I really want Moonview Highway back but I just know thatā€™s not happening in this pack which makes me sad.

I really want Moonview Highway back but I just know thatā€™s not happening in this pack which makes me sad.
I think Mushroom Bridge or City is likely as one of themā€™s datamined for Tour. I guess it depends on whether or not theyā€™d be willing to have any theme overlap.

Are any of the Good Vibes Gaming folks on this forum? I enjoyed the speculation video they put out for this earlier today

but I think some of the analysis i've done in this thread would help them out. Both the full list of retro tracks that could be pulled from Tour:

CFpFrAK.png

and my look into which varaint(s) of Tokyo Blur we'll be getting (because I think they've gotten it wrong in the video):

Very length speculation post ahead!

The most interesting thing about the city courses from Tour, when it comes to discussing how they'd be adapted for 8 Deluxe, is that in their original game they each have multiple numbered varaints; like Super Mario Kart's courses. Unlike that game though, all of the variants are in actuality alternate routes on a single map; with the other routes blocked off depending on the number. It seems 8 Deluxe is taking an intriguing approach to combining these routes into one complete track.

Using Tokyo Blur as an example, because it has the most to go off for the purposes of my speculation. Right here in this press image (and as seen during the direct's gameplay) both the Tokyo Blur 2 (left) and Tokyo Blur 3 (right) paths are available at the same time.

0434b60cc0bfb64e69fef69156e30183f470509058a99afef0f708013e0c2061.jpg

In this view of the course we once again see routes 2 and 3 opened, with item boxes and coins placed on both (clearly indicating that they're both accessible). We can also barely see, on the far left of the screen, a segment of the track from Tokyo Blur 1.

rLxunIu.png

This screenshot from the key art for the pass adds a confusing wrinkle to all of this though. Here we clearly see the Tokyo Blur 1 route open

ER72a3v.png

but you may also notice the arrow sign pointing towards towards that path. In Tour proper, these are typically placed to block the other routes off from access; there's even a set of them right there in Tokyo Blur 1 in Tour!

jc3E3Qu.png

Unfortunately we can only see the one arrow sign, since the space the rest would occupy is covered by the Mario render. What would it mean if the path was blocked off in that screenshot though? Well, i've got one potential idea: perhaps each lap will take you down a different route on the course.
  • Lap 1: Tokyo Blur 1
  • Lap 2: Tokyo Blur 2 / 3
  • Lap 3: Tokyo Blur 4
I haven't actually mentioned that last one yet; since Tokyo 4 combines segments of the prior three variants into one. I think it'd only be represented here if my above theory is correct; definitely isn't the one and only route (another potential conclusion you could come to based on what i've presented so far) because in that case Mario would be driving the wrong way in this clip!

I don't know if i'm entirely sold on it myself, though, because there's a lot of factors to consider in this. I can't recall any tracks that change this dynamically between laps in prior Mario Kart games; and there's a lot of problems that could arise from a structure like this, like how racers behind in a previous lap could interact with one in a later lap with access to another route. So for now I want to assume that the course will just be totally open with multiple routes available on each lap, and that there's really only a single arrow sign there; but there's that other posibility I can't entiely discredit either. Will be interested to see which one turns out true, because i'm sure it'd apply to all the other Tour city tracks as well!

Are any of the Good Vibes Gaming folks on this forum? I enjoyed the speculation video they put out for this earlier today

but I think some of the analysis i've done in this thread would help them out. Both the full list of retro tracks that could be pulled from Tour:

and my look into which varaint(s) of Tokyo Blur we'll be getting (because I think they've gotten it wrong in the video):

I think it will just work the same as with Animal Crossing and Excite Bike, everytine you start the race on this track the layout will be chosen randomly.

I think it will just work the same as with Animal Crossing and Excite Bike, everytine you start the race on this track the layout will be chosen randomly.
That would be super cool, but Animal Crossing and Excitebite are only minor changes. This would be an entire layout.

Jon is ( @Jonneh ) but I am unsure how active he is

Like I said when this was brought up before, I think it'd be weird if this was true and Tokyo Blur 2 and 3 were still merged together like can clearly be seen in the footage.

An important element I need to add, actually, is that I later realised that the preview images in the DLC key art come directly from Tour rather than the 8DX versions; so all my theorising stemming from the arrow sign may end up being worthless. Still, we (barely) haven't seen enough of the course to make a definitive call on how exactly it plays out (but it definitely isn't just Tokyo Blur 4's layout).

Looking again at Mondoā€™s list, I donā€™t know if Iā€™m more or less encouraged that Koopa Cape isnā€™t on there. I really want the Wii version to come back, not the 3DS one that gutted the underwater section. With it not being in Tour yet, the dream lives on maybe?

Looking again at Mondoā€™s list, I donā€™t know if Iā€™m more or less encouraged that Koopa Cape isnā€™t on there. I really want the Wii version to come back, not the 3DS one that gutted the underwater section. With it not being in Tour yet, the dream lives on maybe?
Tour's version of Maple Treeway is based on the 3DS version but restores the half-pipes from the original; so reverting some elements in Koopa Cape would be totally possible (definitely the cut half-pipes at least). I'd expect them to keep the tube segment an underwater segement like in 7 though.

Koopa Cape is the most likely track to make it not in Tour or datamined from Tour though; simply because it's the only track from Mario Kart 7 (the base for a lot of Tour's tracks) entiely unaccounted for. I'm certain it'll show up in both games.

A new donk city battle map would be a great little bonus to toss in

wink wink
More likely a great showcase ride for MK9 on Switch 2 imo (imagine segments where you go into 2d for short segments and get to play with verticality or something like that - I like that idea myself), but I'm always up for being surprised!

More likely a great showcase ride for MK9 on Switch 2 imo (imagine segments where you go into 2d for short segments and get to play with verticality or something like that - I like that idea myself), but I'm always up for being surprised!
Imagine getting hit with a blue shell in 2D lol. I wouldn't even be mad.

God I'm still just positively vibrating thinking about how many tracks we are getting. I don't care where they come from, just give em' to me!

And the GBA Sky Garden music rip:

Sounds like it's made to cut through the noise of a Mario Kart Tour game through a mobile speaker. It could use some love to make it better balanced and less brittle.

I don't expect them to change much though. 48 tracks for ā‚¬25 - I expect changes to be minimal.

These instruments sound very cheap imo. Hope 8 will have a different arrengement, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sounds like it's made to cut through the noise of a Mario Kart Tour game through a mobile speaker. It could use some love to make it better balanced and less brittle.

I don't expect them to change much though. 48 tracks for ā‚¬25 - I expect changes to be minimal.
The music in the MK8DX DLC depends on whether the Coconut Mall music we heard in the trailer is live instruments or not because if Coconut Mall is done live, then there is a good chance everything will be live instrumented. Another thing to point out is Mario Kart Tour has only ever remixed 2 tracks - Sunset Wilds and Sky Garden - both GBA tracks, everything else uses their original music or a remix already made for a previous Mario Kart and the 2 Wii tracks in Tour use their Wii music so Coconut Mall is most likely a new remix made for 8DX but the fact Sky Garden got a new remix in Tour when they could've used DS's version of the music is very strange.

Last edited:
The music in the MK8DX DLC depends on whether the Coconut Mall music we heard in the trailer is live instruments or not because if Coconut Mall is done live, then there is a good chance everything will be live instrumented. Another thing to point out is Mario Kart Tour has only ever remixed 2 tracks - Sunset Wilds and Sky Garden - both GBA tracks, everything else uses their original music or a remix already made for a previous Mario Kart and the 2 Wii tracks in Tour use their Wii music so Coconut Mall is most likely a new remix made for 8DX but the fact Sky Garden got a new remix in Tour when they could've used DS's version of the music is very strange.
Interesting, seems like the Coconut Mall saxophone might be live recorded. It's a really short segment though, which might indicate that they got a saxophone player to give some extra flavour to multiple of the tracks in the DLC.

The backing track is MIDI though, but having a live lead instrument on top can really elevate a production. Let's hope they've hired a few more!

What if Mario Kart 9 is Mario Kart 8 deluxe + DLC but now also with the characters and costumes of Tour, a Mario Kart 8 deluxe deluxe?

Be cheap and easy to do for a Switch successor launch and be rammed full of content.
No please, after a decade of very little new content for this series I donā€™t want ANOTHER port for the Switch 2.

What if Mario Kart 9 is Mario Kart 8 deluxe + DLC but now also with the characters and costumes of Tour, a Mario Kart 8 deluxe deluxe?

Be cheap and easy to do for a Switch successor launch and be rammed full of content.

You trying to give me nightmares?

Interesting, seems like the Coconut Mall saxophone might be live recorded. It's a really short segment though, which might indicate that they got a saxophone player to give some extra flavour to multiple of the tracks in the DLC.

The backing track is MIDI though, but having a live lead instrument on top can really elevate a production. Let's hope they've hired a few more!
Some of the newer tracks like Grumble Volcano, Neo Bowser City, and DK Jungle were hardly changed so Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s the case here. Donā€™t want to be robbed of a live Choco Mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom