• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Luigi's Mansion 2 HD — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: launch trailer + reviews are out, see threadmarks)

I'm on the fence about this one. I loved the first game but all subsequent ones the art style and atmosphere felt a lot different.

Seems like they haven't finished the game yet based on twitter:

Nintendo being secretive about who's making these games doesn't equate to the game not being finished. If anything, it's just some weird rule they have now, because they've been doing this since the very beginning of 2024, starting with Another Code Recollection and then every single first party game after that since.

Nintendo being secretive about who's making these games doesn't equate to the game not being finished. If anything, it's just some weird rule they have now, because they've been doing this since the very beginning of 2024, starting with Another Code Recollection.
I think she meant the people playing the game haven't gotten to the credits

Last edited:
Any mention of midmission checkpointing or auto saving as you change rooms? If you have to start over a mission from scratch when you die still I’m 100% out and won’t buy.

This really should have been a collection of the first 2 LM games for this price.

Last edited:
Why would this remaster retain the 3D feature, something that was exclusive to the 3DS family of systems?

Given Luigi's Mansion 3 sold like crazy, Nintendo's probably confident this will sell well enough even at full price.

It gives the staff something to release in the interim.

100% to all of you!

I meant rather that this isn’t a great offer to someone who has already played the game. I totally agree with the overall business perspective!

It’s also important to remember how long ago this game actually came out which is impossible for me to believe lol, biasing my perspective. I cannot be this old!!

I can’t stand Nintendo’s secrecy with which developers are behind upcoming games. I obviously understand keeping spoilers hidden, but this isn’t a spoiler at all! What good is there in concealing the identity of the team behind the game?

I can’t stand Nintendo’s secrecy with which developers are behind upcoming games. I obviously understand keeping spoilers hidden, but this isn’t a spoiler at all! What good is there in concealing the identity of the team behind the game?
It's funny because they only started doing this at the beginning of this year. I don't know what is propelling them to do this all of a sudden.

is there any word on whether they toned down how often E.gadd interrupts you in the first missions? Can these cutscenes be skipped?

I remember him calling Luigi constantly in this game, which was quite the pace-killer. :(

Other than that I really liked this game.

My impression is that it's to avoid bad experiences on social media for their teams during development. How many times have we heard of developers being insulted or even receiving death threats on social media?

Moreover, after Iwata's death and Reggie's retirement, they are much more reluctant to have public faces. Think, for example, of Phil Spencer—imagine the messages he must have received after the announcement of their first-party games on PS5.

Furthermore Nintendo teams often don’t have social accounts or they aren’t very active (retro studios, NLG).

never forget

X8yXZ.gif

Nintendo being secretive about who's making these games doesn't equate to the game not being finished. If anything, it's just some weird rule they have now, because they've been doing this since the very beginning of 2024, starting with Another Code Recollection and then every single first party game after that since.

Is this really that new? I remember they were coy about Mario Strikers Battle League for awhile. I don't really remember them ever making a big deal out of the internal dev working on things since they used to do more interviews.

Quoted by: Tye
Is this really that new? I remember they were coy about Mario Strikers Battle League for awhile. I don't really remember them ever making a big deal out of the internal dev working on things since they used to do more interviews.
Yeah, I don’t think this is anything new—I believe there’s always been cases where the developers of some Nintendo games aren’t made known until everyone finds out via the credits after launch (or before that if the game is leaked or datamined) well before this year. For example, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t known that Vanpool had developed some of the Switch Kirby games until launch. I’m not sure we knew the developers for some other Switch games like Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch, Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics, Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, or F-ZERO 99 before launch, either. I think I recall people being surprised to learn that Eighting developed Pikmin 3 Deluxe and/or Pikmin 4 at launch, too? I could be mistaken about some of those, but I definitely know that some of them didn’t have their developers announced prior to launch.

Last edited:
It's odd, I can't think of anyone else in the industry who has this level of secrecy on the developers. Honestly I think it's a shame that they keep it relatively hidden. If you weren't a big Nintendo fan who frequents forums like this, you'd probably have no idea that Eighting worked on Pikmin 4 for example. Of course it's in the credits, but not everyone pays attention during those. These developers deserve to have their names attached to the projects they're working on.

It's odd, I can't think of anyone else in the industry who has this level of secrecy on the developers. Honestly I think it's a shame that they keep it relatively hidden. If you weren't a big Nintendo fan who frequents forums like this, you'd probably have no idea that Eighting worked on Pikmin 4 for example. Of course it's in the credits, but not everyone pays attention during those. These developers deserve to have their names attached to the projects they're working on.
But they do have their names attached—in the credits, like you said. But, as you also mentioned, most people don’t pay attention to the credits…because the reality is that most people—beyond enthusiasts like us who post on gaming forums like this (and honestly, sometimes it seems like some people here care more about seeing a game’s credits than they care about the actual game itself…)—just don’t care who developed the games they play. Even if these developers were announced in advance in Directs and all, most people still wouldn’t bother to notice or care. The people who do care, on the other hand, will find out regardless, so what’s it really matter if the developer is disclosed prior to launch or not?

But they do have their names attached—in the credits, like you said. But, as you also mentioned, most people don’t pay attention to the credits…because the reality is that most people—beyond enthusiasts like us who post on gaming forums like this (and honestly, sometimes it seems like some people here care more about seeing a game’s credits than they care about the actual game itself…)—just don’t care who developed the games they play. Even if these developers were announced in advance in Directs and all, most people still wouldn’t bother to notice or care. The people who do care, on the other hand, will find out regardless, so what’s it really matter if the developer is disclosed prior to launch or not?
I think it definitely does matter in regard to online discuss even outside of enthusiast boards. There's a reason why Mercury Steam's name is brought up more often in regard to Metroid, while Eighting is not in regard to Pikmin. I'd imagine being attached to a franchise like that is a big boon to the team.

Really it ultimately doesn't matter that much, but there's no reason not to do it as far as I can see. Concerns about the folks directing anger at the team? Perhaps, but most of that happens post-launch when that knowledge can be found out anyways.

I think it definitely does matter in regard to online discuss even outside of enthusiast boards. There's a reason why Mercury Steam's name is brought up more often in regard to Metroid, while Eighting is not in regard to Pikmin. I'd imagine being attached to a franchise like that is a big boon to the team.

Really it ultimately doesn't matter that much, but there's no reason not to do it as far as I can see. Concerns about the folks directing anger at the team? Perhaps, but most of that happens post-launch when that knowledge can be found out anyways.
Why should Nintendo care about a small number of people wanting developer information for a game to discuss amongst themselves online prior to launch? That information is likely going to do more harm than good, anyway, with people potentially harassing devs as you acknowledged. Yes, they can’t stop that from happening after launch, but they can mitigate it prior to that, so why not? Especially in the case of smaller or less popular devs, or in the case of games that may be fairly divisive and attract a lot of negative discussion.

Just look at how people here react whenever developers like Arzest are mentioned, for example.

Why should Nintendo care about a small number of people wanting developer information for a game to discuss amongst themselves online prior to launch? That information is likely going to do more harm than good, anyway, with people potentially harassing devs as you acknowledged. Yes, they can’t stop that from happening after launch, but they can mitigate it prior to that, so why not? Especially in the case of smaller or less popular devs, or in the case of games that may be fairly divisive and attract a lot of negative discussion.

Just look at how people here react whenever developers like Arzest are mentioned, for example.
My opinions are likely because I'm not really a believer of the harassment theory. Perhaps just a little cynical, but I do think this has more to do with Nintendo wanting each game to be seen as a "Nintendo" game. If that's the case, the goal is to deemphasize the contributions of the dev team to put the company name at the forefront, which I'm not a big fan of.

But I have no proof of that, just a gut feeling. I think if the concerns are related to avoiding harassment, it is valid and I don't have any issues with it.

Nintendo probably thinks it's better for sales that the games are "Nintendo games" for the general public. Some more casual buyers could be confused by the developer name.

Yeah, I don’t think this is anything new—I believe there’s always been cases where the developers of some Nintendo games aren’t made known until everyone finds out via the credits after launch (or before that if the game is leaked or datamined) well before this year. For example, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t known that Vanpool had developed some of the Switch Kirby games until launch. I’m not sure we knew the developers for some other Switch games like Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch, Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics, Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain, or F-ZERO 99 before launch, either. I think I recall people being surprised to learn that Eighting developed Pikmin 3 Deluxe and/or Pikmin 4 at launch, too? I could be mistaken about some of those, but I definitely know that some of them didn’t have their developers announced prior to launch.

I don't understand what you want to accomplish here. For example, some of those games have developers acting as subcontractors - meaning they are building on to the main framework created by another core team -- or what about games where there are multiple developers? There isn't a reason to plaster one specific developers logo or have a PR campaign about one developer when they are all credited properly for their role in credits and copyright registries. I mean it would be weird to plaster TOSE logo on the newest Final Fantasy or Resident Evil game because they were a subcontractor on it.

But it does create confusion for people who extrapolate a developer's presence -- as "oh they made it". Capcom isn't going to put a giant Eighting logo on Monster Hunter or Capcom VS... despite Eighting being a subcontractor on several installments. But it's understood that they helped work on it by checking the credits or their website.

I don't understand what you want to accomplish here. For example, some of those games have developers acting as subcontractors - meaning they are building on to the main framework created by another core team -- or what about games where there are multiple developers? There isn't a reason to plaster one specific developers logo or have a PR campaign about one developer when they are all credited properly for their role in credits and copyright registries. I mean it would be weird to plaster TOSE logo on the newest Final Fantasy or Resident Evil game because they were a subcontractor on it.
??? I’m just pointing out that Nintendo has kept games’ developers (however many of them there may be) undisclosed until launch before, since people are saying that it’s a new thing that Nintendo’s only started doing this year which isn’t true. I never said that they should do that (let alone “plaster one specific developer’s logo” on game over the others that also worked on it—not sure where you’re getting that from my post), and I’m specifically pointing out that it’s not a new or weird thing because I don’t think it’s an issue.

This is basically how the traditional Japanese developer/publishers operate. Nintendo, Capcom, Square-Enix, SEGA, all do this. Arguing your point with like Pikmin 4, they are posted in the credits and they are allowed to publish the info on their website (which a lot of times consignment work does not allow you to make your contributions public). It's Nintendo's IP and it's a game made by Nintendo's internal developers with the help of Eighting and other companies. It be a PR nightmare for Nintendo to feel obligated to announce all their supporting developers on each project - or for any Japanese company really.

??? I’m just pointing out that Nintendo has kept games’ developers (however many of them there may be) undisclosed until launch before, since people are saying that it’s a new thing that Nintendo’s only started doing this year which isn’t true. I never said that they should do that (let alone “plaster one specific developer’s logo” on game over the others that also worked on it—not sure where you’re getting that from my post), and I’m specifically pointing out that it’s not a new or weird thing because I don’t think it’s an issue.

You're right, I just connected your post to a whole bunch of people above you.

Nintendo probably thinks it's better for sales that the games are "Nintendo games" for the general public. Some more casual buyers could be confused by the developer name.
Yeah this is probably it. This and Nintendo always saying stuff like "play it on the Nintendo Switch Expansion pass on Nintendo Switch consoles" now makes me think they've been doing too much focus testing which led them to make these choices.

But that's the risk of over focus testings, makes everything comes off as more robotic and make "solutions" to things that were never problems. Can imagine focus testing asking something like "How likely buy Super Mario RPG if we said it was developed by ArtePiazza vs. it was developed by Nintendo?" and everyone going with the second choice. Even though normal people don't notice a games developer and has little impact on their buying decisions in most cases

This is basically how the traditional Japanese developer/publishers operate. Nintendo, Capcom, Square-Enix, SEGA, all do this. Arguing your point with like Pikmin 4, they are posted in the credits and they are allowed to publish the info on their website (which a lot of times consignment work does not allow you to make your contributions public). It's Nintendo's IP and it's a game made by Nintendo's internal developers with the help of Eighting and other companies. It be a PR nightmare for Nintendo to feel obligated to announce all their supporting developers on each project - or for any Japanese company really.

Perhaps I just need to be more knowledgeable on copyright, but is this different from what is currently done in other games where some teams have their logos displayed before the game starts? Obviously not everyone involved is displayed there, just certain more prominent developers or other entities. And Nintendo has openly done this in the past haven't they? We knew about Grezzo's role on Link's Awakening just from an E3 interview if I recall correctly. I'm not asking they massively change the current way that developers are credited, but I still believe beyond the valid harassment concerns, all developers or co-developers should be apparent even if it's just a press release alongside a reveal.

It's not a major concern of course, but if Nintendo had simply mentioned, this game is made by our partners at Good-Feel, prior to the launch of Princess Peach's Showtime, I don't think that would cause much issue? But I know you're more knowledgeable than me on some of the specifics so I may just be missing a few details on why they do this, but it hasn't always been something that occurs in the past. (I do also think Pikmin 4 wasn't the best example).

Just on the "I don't understand what you want to accomplish here", I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but I do apologize if it was. I just don't like the idea of Nintendo purposefully misrepresenting who are the developers of the game, though you provided some good points on why that may not be. Sorry if I came across in a wrong way!

Last edited:
What? Square announces the devs for their games pretty far before a game’s release. There’s a reason we know CC2 was the original dev of FF7R.

This is more about subcontractors; like did Square announce Tose was a development partner on FF7 or FF13? FF7R isn't that different of an outlier than Nintendo announcing Namco-Bandai as the developer of Smash or Retro Studios on MP4.

This is more about subcontractors; like did Square announce Tose was a development partner on FF7 or FF13? FF7R isn't that different of an outlier than Nintendo announcing Namco-Bandai as the developer of Smash or Retro Studios on MP4.

Oh, come on, Princess Peach Showtime is a Good Feel game, they’re not just a subcontractor.

It's funny because they only started doing this at the beginning of this year. I don't know what is propelling them to do this all of a sudden.
It definitely started before that (Prime 4 for example). We just knew a lot of them beforehand because of external sources like the Australian ratings board eg. DC Super Hero Girls, Big Brain Academy etc. Even that source has dried up.

Unless it’s Monolith/Retro/Game Freak/IS, it’s a “Nintendo game” now. Some publication had to straight up ask if NLG was developing Mario Strikers, even though it was obvious.

Watching the GVG direct predictions, and Jon says at 3:30 in this vid that Grezzo is NOT the dev team doing the LM2 Remaster, though he doesn't say who it is:

I want to replay this but I just can't support it at full price with the mission structure in tact.... onto the watch for sale list it will go!

Watching the GVG direct predictions, and Jon says at 3:30 in this vid that Grezzo is NOT the dev team doing the LM2 Remaster, though he doesn't say who it is:

Really curious to learn this - hope it follows the trend of new partners for ports (eg. Forever on DK)

Game looks better with every trailer. At first it really just looked like the 3DS game with a better Luigi models but they seemed to have changed a lot in the end, especially the lighting. Funny how they refuse to mention the Treacherous Mansion like it's some sort of spoiler. The game came out on their last system, it's not a big deal lmao.

tbf if luigi mansion 3 didnt exist and somebody told me this was a new switch game i would believe, looks alright, not on the top level of switch graphics but better than a lot of games,it aged well

I hate myself for knowing I'm gonna cave and use my second voucher.

It's Luigi's Mansion. I can't help myself.

This release is just too much of a compromise for me.

Same mission structure, lack of 3D, unpressed but not overhauled graphics, full price tag. I don’t quite understand the intention here.
Only 3.3M people played the 3DS game, and 13M+ played LM3. There is AT LEAST 10 million Luigi's Mansion 3 players who have never experienced this game. That's the intention.

Only 3.3M people played the 3DS game, and 13M+ played LM3. There is AT LEAST 10 million Luigi's Mansion 3 players who have never experienced this game. That's the intention.
6.48 million people, but I get what you mean. There's still a significant amount of folks who experienced Luigi's Mansion for the first time this gen.

Back
Top Bottom