• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Luigi's Mansion 2 HD |ST|

developed by tantalus media New
The remaster of the critically acclaimed 3DS game is set to release on the Switch on June 27, but Nintendo has previously kept its developer secret.

Whereas Next Level Games developed the original 3DS version, the game’s credits reveal that the HD remaster was handled by Tantalus Media, VGC can confirm.

The Australian studio is no stranger to Nintendo remasters, having previously been responsible for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD on Wii U and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD on Switch.

I never finished the game on 3DS (despite it being the game I honestly anticipated the most for the longest because of younger me watching let's plays of the first game), so I am honestly very excited to play this version of the game! It sounds like it kept some of the faults of the original (while still trying to improve them), but this does feel like the most definitive version of the game which gets be hyped! :D

Interesting. Tantalus got bought out early in 2021, shortly before Skyward Sword HD shipped, and hadn't released anything since, so I'd wondered what that meant for their work with Nintendo.

Makes sense, though, and it presumably means Next Level Games are all hands on deck for the successor system and we should get their project in 2025 or 2026.

Last edited:
For some reason I didn't even consider them but in hindsight it makes a lot of sense. I thought it might be an internal side-project at NLG or maybe made by Grezzo.

I don't have much love for the first LM but I feel like it might have done better critically simply because it feels more like its own thing compared to LM2 which is more of a stepping stone to LM3. Maybe they'll announce a Hagi port soon.

I think it's more to do with this port not addressing the issues people had with 2, unlike SSHD, which did.
Not that I completely agree with the criticisms, mind you (avatar quote). I'd only say there is one boss that is complete shit and I doubt they could've fixed it. (The ice one)

i thought it's gonna be grezzo but now we know what they've been busy with for the past few years.
It didn't really make sense for Grezzo since it didn't really look like the increase quality that we saw with Miitopia nor had a new level of lighting we saw with both their Switch games. Whereas Tantalus does more basic upgrades in their remasters.

It didn't really make sense for Grezzo since it didn't really look like the increase quality that we saw with Miitopia nor had a new level of lighting we saw with both their Switch games. Whereas Tantalus does more basic upgrades in their remasters.
the only reason there was speculation about them was because they made the 3DS port of luigi's mansion 1 so they were already familiar with the series.

Makes sense for Tantalus given their last Nintendo game was in 2021.

NLG is probably on a next gen LM4 and that new 2D Zelda screams Grezzo given its the same art direction as the LA remake.

I hope Fire Emblem Awakening is the next 3DS game to get ported/remastered. Although I wouldn’t want it to get in the way of the FE4 Remake which is definitely more important.

They seem to have done a pretty good job with it and hopefully Donkey Kong Country Returns HD will also look better by release.

I'm curious though if there's some logic or overall strategy to how Nintendo approaches these remasters/remakes or if it's more on a per game basis. Seems almost impossible to predict which game will get which treatment and who will develop it.

I'm so happy that they have development partners for games like this!

A) it doesn't interrupt core development pipeline
B) we get a chance at remakes that would otherwise be rare (eg. series without a home)

Fire Emblem Awakening HD could very well be a 2026 or 2027 title, depending if we get yet another Warriors game

———

Also, I thought Tantalus were a group of thieves that had an airship?

I don't have much love for the first LM but I feel like it might have done better critically simply because it feels more like its own thing compared to LM2 which is more of a stepping stone to LM3. Maybe they'll announce a Hagi port soon.

We already saw LM1 do worse than this is averaging out as on the 3DS when it didn't even yet have to compete with LM3, so I doubt it does much better. People vastly overstate how good LM1 was and downplay its problems that stem from largely being a gamecube tech demo that had to meet launch deadlines.

And it'd be a massive shame to have Nintendo again just fart out a port of the original when a improved version already exists with massive QOL updates, and that, if nothing else, has Co-op and the ability to refight bosses.

Last edited:
Honestly if I can find it around $35 later this year I'll get it. If I still had my 3DS copy I probably wouldn't bite at all though.

I noticed the 0.9/10 too and had to go check the review to see what the issue was. Turns out the review was glowing throughout and it was really 9/10. Opencritic at 71 which shocked me too at first. Will definitely be back to where it was when they fix that.

I'm really looking forward to this game.

I go on mental health leave from work from 6/28-8/5. This will be a perfectly fun, new experience for me to kick off my time away :)

Skyward Sword HD also was reworked to support running at stable 60 FPS. The image quality of Skyward Sword is cleaner than it was on the Wii/WiiU.

Thanks for reminding me of that. It was certainly something I think was either lost, or mentioned once during reviews before moving on. I did think it was a big deal when it came out, especially since it meant Skyward Sword HD is the first 3D Zelda that runs at 60fps natively.

Seem like we’re in the ,,Let’s port whatever game we have’’ Era.

Since the Wii U ports are pretty much dead.
Eh not really, this is a pretty logical remaster considering how well Luigi's Mansion 3 did. Why not port the last game by the same developer for all the folks who dived into the series for the first time?

Seem like we’re in the ,,Let’s port whatever game we have’’ Era.

Since the Wii U ports are pretty much dead.

This was the 11th best selling first party 3DS title, only behind some other mario, Pokémon, animal crossing and smash, only three of which (mario 3d land and animal crossing new leaf as well as the long shot of new super mario bros 2) stand any serious chance of being ported, 4 if you count tomodachi, but that series also already got a 3ds port to switch.

there's so many 3DS games they could port still, really hope they have plans for them well into the switch 2 generation. they can keep releasing them as cross-gen titles.

Every game Nintendo reveals without mentioning the devs "looks like NLG" to so many folks

and yet, the one situation where that probably had the best shot of actually being the case?

also not by NLG

giphy.webp

I mean this looks like a really well done port, don't get me wrong

I just think the NLG making every game meme is funny and expect it to keep happening until a Luigi's Mansion 4 gets announced(and watch them not confirm NLG then too!:ROFLMAO:)

I replayed Luigi's Mansion 1 a few days ago thinking it'd get the craving out of me and instead it just made me double up on wanting to get LM2HD.

luigi.jpg

I hate this beautiful man so much.

Back
Top Bottom