• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion LTTP: The Devil is a Part Timer LN series: I'm...almost disappointed I enjoyed this!?!

So, this is probably not gonna get any views are will be controversial but The Devil is a Part Timer is a 20 part Light Novel series that has an infamous reputation for its ending. It has an anime whose first season was in 2013 but is only on its 3rd season after a near decade hiatus. For years I was told to not get this series because its romance subplot was terrible because it was clearly going for one thing but decided to change minds at the last second.

...so imagine my surprise when I read it and...I find a decently written plot whose romance plotline is spelled clear out by volume 2...and continues strongly until the end while the "obvious ship" has clear direct points stated that this isn't the endgame!?! I...I guess this is a weird spoiler free rant because I cannot see how anyone reading this or watching the anime came to the conclusion that the pair people were saying was "obviously gonna happen" actually read the damn thing! I'm...I'm almost dissapointed because I was expecting a trainwreck nonsense and instead got a rather cute story. It isn't perfect and the author's mythbuilding makes less sense as the series goes on but on the romance subplot? Nah, that shit was narratively set from early out.

Sorry for the weird rant, I need to get it out somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom