• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

LTTP LTTP: Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition | "In my restless dreams, I see that game" (UP: Silent Hill 3 done)

(Late to the party)
Beat Silent Hill 3
  • Got around to SH3 too. The game is good but man do the series's problems really come to a head here. Music, story, and atmosphere are great as always, but exploration and gameplay are seriously unpolished. Specifically with the latter, difficulty swings to the opposite extreme of SH2 where you are going to get fucked if you do not use melee weapons liberally - I've never been so dry on ammo and health items in a survival horror before, to the point where I needed to rely on Beginner Mode to clear the final boss. Puzzles can oscillate from really satisfying (the first number code door) to finicky or obtuse (the chain hook + door).

Regarding the characters, I really liked all of them aside from Douglas, who needed more development. Vincent's performance especially is really off, but in a way that enhances the character I can't extend the same to Heather, but she's a good MC all the same. Claudia was an appreciably nuanced take on the "insane religious extremist" archetype.

Overall, my ranking of the series so far is 1 >= 2 >> 3. Hope to get to 4 soon.

Back
    Top Bottom