• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP LTTP: Metroid Samus Returns. What's the concensus of this game?

(Late to the party)
It’s a great game, but it’s ridiculous hard. Fuck the diggerbot and fuck Ridley especially.

Fantastic game that brought down by the 30 FPS, lack of enemy variety, repetitive bosses and locked game design. Still worth though. The later bosses are quite inventive(Omega, Diggernaut and Queen)

I think it would be a beloved cult classic if it wasn't a Metroid game, but also I probably would never have been motivated to play it in that case.

I'm kinda surprised not all aeion abilities introduced here made it back to Dread.

I missed Beam Burst, that's my favorite here.

Graphics: i think they were overly ambitious with the 3DS hardware. when you had games like Mario 3D Land that came out 6 years prior, which look better, there's a problem.

Gameplay: not a fan of how you have to stand still to counterattack and/or free aim. i quickly grew tired of the wait-to-counterattack gameplay loop.

i've tried to get into it a few times now and never last more than a few hours before i bounce off it, unfortunately. and this is my favorite series.

Ive got the game but havent opened it after not having the best experience w a store demo. (And work/life limiting gaming time).

That said, reviews in the aggregate pegged it firmly in the "very good video game" range. Im confident if I had gotten over the initial hump I would have liked it fine.

Still holding out hope for a Switch up-port now that Dread is out and on it way to success. Maybe the engineering team has the bandwidth to bring it over while the planning/design teams focus on the Next New Thing.

It was an amazing game i didn't expect so late in the handheld's life.

The framerate never bothered me, it's clear when a game has been designed for its running framerate, and Samus Returns is one of them and plays amazingly.

Only bad part of the game for me were the Metroid fights, MS did their best for shaking them up by modifying the arenas but there's so much you can do when the bosses are the same.

But the game itself is great, even if It departs from the original too much, i don't care, Mercury Steam showed what they were able to do.

Now that Dread is being successful, i hope it's re-released on Switch, but not because the 3DS is outdated, but because more people needs to enjoy it.

Come on Nintendo, show your users the Dread prototype.

I liked it back in the days, even if I felt it was a little bit too "safe".
I also don't know if my "hype" or enjoyment was somehow downtoned by it being a very late 3DS game: I was already playing A LOT on the Switch, loving everything about the new console
BUT I think that DREAD is anyway vastly superior

I think the secret final boss thing might have had more impact if they’d left route back to the ship alone and not populated the area with enemies. The original game does that entire area better. You reach the bowels of SR388, after fighting progressively more powerful Metroids and enemies, and there’s just nothing. There’s a real sense of foreboding and storytelling through environmental details (the Metroids must have just killed everything else near their lair off) that’s lost in SR.

Having said that, I think it’s generally a good game. Except for the Diggernaut or whatever it’s called. Fuck that thing.

Great game! Really enjoyed it. But held back by being on 3DS, a bit hard to control at times.

But it layed the foundation for Dread which is an absolute killer, so we good.

It's pretty good, but kind of misses the point of the original game towards the end. Still, it's a really enjoyable game with one hell of an ending.

Back
Top Bottom