• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP LttP: Master Detective Archives Rain Code - Forget Hope and Despair look for Truth

(Late to the party)

Cantaim

Shriekbat
The years been jam packed with a lot of action games so I thought it would be fun to move at a different pace from normal with a mystery game. It didn’t take me long to notice that this game had some senior staff from the Dangenrompa series as the thumbprint is all over it. The general design of the game, character design, and the music all feel like it’s in the same vein. It was interesting to notice so my playthrough then took the lens of this being a spiritual successor to that series. But enough rambling I’d like to dive into my thoughts!

Cases
The meat of the game are the cases, and, in this adventure, we get around 6 cases. All of which varied in quality. I don’t know which one I’d say is my favorite, but I think I was most fond of the nail man case as that had a fun premise. In terms of how challenging the mysteries are. I'd say the player will generally figure out who did 1 or 2 of the cases in a playthrough but not have a solid idea on how they pulled it off until the case is well into the solution phase. I don't think that is bad either. If you can crack the killer and the way they, did it. The cases would be a slog on a first playthrough. Oh, and if you are coming in from an Ace Attorney or Dangenrompa perspective. I'd say the game doesn't have any case that's as good as the best cases in those series. But I think what's here is around the same level as everything else.

Story
I think the premise of the game is really solid. You and a few other detectives arrive in an independent district known as “Kanai Ward”. Your job is to uncover mystery’s obscured by corrupt cops and a dystopian mega corp. From there we get our cases that show the many different facets about how life in this city works. This all builds towards the final case and uncovering the hidden secret of the independent district. Overall, I liked it, but the game had a bad habit of not using the other detectives outside of their 1 case. I know why they did that, but it results in long stretches where some don’t talk for hours. A bit of a bummer as some could have really used more screentime.

Unfortunately, I think the writing at times holds back what should be very impactful narrative moments. I’d say the chapter 4 case is a good example. At around the halfway point of the case I had cracked what had happened. This was a little detrimental to the rest of the case as it felt like there was a long 30–45-minute sequences where someone kept going “you won’t be able to handle the truth of this case”. A phrase that got very old very fast when I the player had already figured it out and accepted it!

Aesthetic

Yea this city looks pretty great. An interesting neo-noir setting with lots of mood.
SS01.jpg
04.jpg
large.jpg
Master-Detective-Archives-RAIN-CODE_2023_03-24-23_001.jpg

Music
What else is there to say other than it has a pretty good soundtrack? If you liked any of the previous Dangenrompa games music wise congratulations, you just got another game with the same sound.

Final thoughts

If it’s the start of a series, I think it’s a good first step. I’d definitely be willing to try a sequel if one is made. If this is a one-off thing, then I also think this is worth your time if you are a fan of Dangenrompa. It really feels like they tried to make a new series that builds upon what they previously had while avoiding tying themselves down into making it so that every game has to be about killing each other in a locked location. Anyone else here give this game a shot?

Its funny that I made the ST for the game and I am only on Chapter 2 😅. So this is mostly my impressions, once I finish we shall see how much it changed. I am not a fan of Danganronpa, played a bit of the first plus the anime and I was bored, granted that was when I was younger and not into VNs.

I am 15 hours in (either a bug or it counts sleep mode) and its been great, maybe because it reminds me a bit to AI The Somnium Files (games I adore) and the neo setting gives me GIST vibes. The Nail man case was fantastic, and the reasons behind it give you a glimpse of the state of Kanai Ward. Side quest are very basic, they do give more "lore" but I wished they had experimented there. And seeing the map requires to many buttons lol. But overall I am having a great time.

Seeing as they announced a sales milestone (300k) less than a month in, seems like the title has been successful. So I do expect future projects, with this new studio.

Interested but waiting for a sale(preferably low enough digitally cause that’s more convenient for this genre

Guess all my thoughts in the ST were under spoiler tags, so my general thoughts are as follows.

The presentation is on point, but Rain Code really exposes how reliant Danganronpa was on the killing game. Rain Code struggles to balance a larger cast that won’t be receiving consistent screentime due to the circumstances of the narrative, and the rigid structure of each chapter feels restrictive without the additional context and consequences of the class trial.

There’s some good ideas worth building off of, but unfortunately the transition into a more standard mystery narrative was a lot sloppier than I was hoping for, especially after how seamless Zero Escape transitioned into AI: The Somnium Files.

I kept waiting on patches for visuals and performance before continuing. Game looks too blurry in handheld for me to play more than a few hours. The music was very good and it had great voice acting though.

I'm in the last part of the game and if pacing isn't really good at the begining (constant load times don't help), last case is really worth it !
Also some good emotional moments.

Really loving it !

I bought this game physically a few months ago. Still have it sealed cause backlog, but I was surprised to see the physical had a sticker on it that said it contains a code for a free digital novel. I thought that was pretty cool.

Its funny that I made the ST for the game and I am only on Chapter 2 😅. So this is mostly my impressions, once I finish we shall see how much it changed. I am not a fan of Danganronpa, played a bit of the first plus the anime and I was bored, granted that was when I was younger and not into VNs.

I am 15 hours in (either a bug or it counts sleep mode) and its been great, maybe because it reminds me a bit to AI The Somnium Files (games I adore) and the neo setting gives me GIST vibes. The Nail man case was fantastic, and the reasons behind it give you a glimpse of the state of Kanai Ward. Side quest are very basic, they do give more "lore" but I wished they had experimented there. And seeing the map requires to many buttons lol. But overall I am having a great time.

Seeing as they announced a sales milestone (300k) less than a month in, seems like the title has been successful. So I do expect future projects, with this new studio.
Side quest’s definitely needed more meat. The intent was to flesh out the smaller goings of the city but it usually just ended up being a very small “what are the up to now’s” for the people from the last case you solved.

Interested but waiting for a sale(preferably low enough digitally cause that’s more convenient for this genre
You know I was honestly so impressed by how much was voice acted in this game I didn’t mind playing full price. Usually stuff like this cuts out after 10 hours but rain code decided to voice everything related to the main story until the credits rolled.

Guess all my thoughts in the ST were under spoiler tags, so my general thoughts are as follows.

The presentation is on point, but Rain Code really exposes how reliant Danganronpa was on the killing game. Rain Code struggles to balance a larger cast that won’t be receiving consistent screentime due to the circumstances of the narrative, and the rigid structure of each chapter feels restrictive without the additional context and consequences of the class trial.

There’s some good ideas worth building off of, but unfortunately the transition into a more standard mystery narrative was a lot sloppier than I was hoping for, especially after how seamless Zero Escape transitioned into AI: The Somnium Files.
Yea I’ve talked about this elsewhere but I think a lot of the problems with how Rain Code told its story reared its head in the chapter 4 case. It’s doing everything right by Dangenrompa standards and the case itself handles it well. The problem is it’s banking on you really connecting to people you realistically talked to 20 hours ago as a player.

I kept waiting on patches for visuals and performance before continuing. Game looks too blurry in handheld for me to play more than a few hours. The music was very good and it had great voice acting though.
Yea can’t speak for the Japanese side but I was playing with the English dub and there were some great performances here. On that side I think Yakou had the funniest lines as the English VA knew how to do bewilderment, anxiety, and shock in a comedic 3 line read pretty frequently haha.

I'm in the last part of the game and if pacing isn't really good at the begining (constant load times don't help), last case is really worth it !
Also some good emotional moments.

Really loving it !
Last case actually slaps and it does do a good job at re-examining the entire game under a new light! There’s actually details from that case that make a few seemingly random reveals make way more sense too.

I've never played Danganronpa, but I think I may try this. Love me a good mystery game!

Kinda torn on if I should squeeze this or Pikmin 4 in before 2023 ends

I've never played Danganronpa, but I think I may try this. Love me a good mystery game!

Kinda torn on if I should squeeze this or Pikmin 4 in before 2023 ends
If you play on PC or PS5/PS4, you should get the Danganronpa trilogy since they go really cheap there. Spike never fixed the Switch version which still crashes in V3 sadly.

If you play on PC or PS5/PS4, you should get the Danganronpa trilogy since they go really cheap there. Spike never fixed the Switch version which still crashes in V3 sadly.

I didn't have any crash in V3, or did I forget ?
The 3 games perform horribly during the first person view though, and that's laughable and quite infuriating.

I didn't have any crash in V3, or did I forget ?
The 3 games perform horribly during the first person view though, and that's laughable and quite infuriating.
The final parts of V3 crashed multiple times in launch month. Did they patch them since? Also yes, youre right about the games. Even the Vita versions of 1 and 2 ran better. Can't believe they took so long to port them to Switch and didn't optimize or add touch support.

Back
Top Bottom