• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Lorelei and the Laser Eyes |ST| Fuzzy Optics ("Through the Laser Eyes", a short making-of documentary film, out now, see threadmarks)

Hey there Earthbounder, since you've beaten the game, may I ask for some spoiler-tagged info or trigger warnings? Particularly related to any violence to animals or disturbing things happening to animals, but also if there's none of that in the game I'd really appreciate some details on how scary the game is and what type of horror content is in the game.
Sure. You can ask me something more specific if you want. But I'll try to answer some of what you asked.

There's no animal-related violence.

As for how scary the game is, it definitely has a few jump-scare moments

Sure. You can ask me something more specific if you want. But I'll try to answer some of what you asked.

There's no animal-related violence.

As for how scary the game is, it definitely has a few jump-scare moments
Thank you a ton! Can you give a few examples of jump scares? Is there violence or gore like one might expect from horror?

Thank you a ton! Can you give a few examples of jump scares? Is there violence or gore like one might expect from horror?
Full details below, from jump scares and violence I can remember.

A few characters have their eyes altered. One has the titular laser eyes (as seen in the trailer), and another (at one point towards the very end of the game) appears without their eyes, with blood below the sockets. Like the above user said, I didn't find the latter too graphic thanks to the game's cell-shaded art style.

After the halfway point, there are nine "ghosts" that chase you around the house, but they don't appear out of thin air. You are given a warning one of them is about to show up. Plus, you're meant to be caught by them, so there isn't really much of a chase.

There are a couple of apparitions / spirits in a few rooms. Two of them can be frightening the first time they show up, since you don't know they'll be there.

Ironically, the jump scare that got me the most is that at one point a brick is thrown through a window. That scared the shit out of me. The three above items really didn't.

There is images of people with eyes that look removed and bloody, but in a non gory way.
I see, thank you Brock. Edit: thank you @Earthbounder for all these details. As a fellow Tunic fan, did this game scratch some of the same deep puzzling itches? Not the same types of puzzles per se but the same depth to them.

I see, thank you Brock. Edit: thank you @Earthbounder for all these details. As a fellow Tunic fan, did this game scratch some of the same deep puzzling itches? Not the same types of puzzles per se but the same depth to them.
Oh, it certainly did. There's a lot of writing stuff on notebooks. I think I have about 20 pages filled with stuff.

And it has the same spirit as Tunic and Outer Wilds in the sense it doesn't really give you any direction. You're supposed to figure it all out on your own.

Most puzzles are really simple, and they entail finding information rather than making wild logic deductions. If you can't solve a puzzle, and many times you won't be able to do so, it probably means you don't have the information that's required.

Oh, it certainly did. There's a lot of writing stuff on notebooks. I think I have about 20 pages filled with stuff.

And it has the same spirit as Tunic and Outer Wilds in the sense it doesn't really give you any direction. You're supposed to figure it all out on your own.

Most puzzles are really simple, and they entail finding information rather than making wild logic deductions. If you can't solve a puzzle, and many times you won't be able to do so, it probably means you don't have the information that's required.
That sounds amazing. So cool to hear you had such a a meaningful and engaging experience with it. Thank you again for fielding all my questions as usual!

That sounds amazing. So cool to hear you had such a a meaningful and engaging experience with it. Thank you again for fielding all my questions as usual!
You're welcome! If you have any trouble during your playthrough, in case you do buy it, I'll be glad to help.

finished it! just shy of 15 hours with 98% truth uncovered, but I think I was just missing two optional things I didn't have the money for, might go back for those soon.

I loved absolutely all of it, like way, way more than I expected to. the puzzles are almost all fun, it's a perfect size (much bigger than I expected but nowhere close to overwhelmingly big or overly long), the story is ultimately pretty compelling despite initially seeming totally ungrounded, and the writing and vibe totally worked for me.
so bold to make an almost entirely monochrome game, rarely broken up by a limited palette of reds. this is only my second Simogo game, but you can really tell in the animations and visual flourishes that these are the Sayonara Wild Hearts folks.
the regular puzzles are nicely varied, and maybe just a little too easy on average, but they feel great to solve. some of the optional shortcut puzzles were real stumpers which I loved, and the big final puzzle and final sequence are phenomenal.
and, my goodness, the way this is structured is totally remarkable: almost entirely nonlinear, loads of puzzles that you have all the information for the first time you see them without realizing it, and it branches in so many interconnected directions that there's always somewhere new to check or somewhere old to revisit if you feel stumped. to make a game like this with virtually no downtime in the form of aimless wandering is a real achievement.

I hope more people play it!

I started this game a few days ago and reaaally liked the puzzles.
But the only thing that made me quit the game: I got to the
labyrinth part and afterwards some man chased and caught me. I didn't answer the question correctly and made me go to my last save.

Unfortunately these kinda things make me really stressed out because I want to take my time with everything.

Is there a game with the same kind of puzzles but without
someone chasing you?

Big fan so far, even though I’m still very lost and just kinda wandering around. Still slowly picking up the pieces, but I’m certainly in no rush. Puzzles have been great so far for the most part. Not a huge fan of a few of the shortcut puzzles though, those have been a bit weak compared to the rest of the puzzles.

Only big complaint so far is the control scheme. I get that they wanted it to be playable with just one hand so you can take notes with the other, but it’s just too unintuitive. An option for a traditional control scheme would’ve been greatly appreciated.

I started this game a few days ago and reaaally liked the puzzles.
But the only thing that made me quit the game: I got to the
labyrinth part and afterwards some man chased and caught me. I didn't answer the question correctly and made me go to my last save.

Unfortunately these kinda things make me really stressed out because I want to take my time with everything.

Is there a game with the same kind of puzzles but without
someone chasing you?
i think how these parts of the game are handled is a bit strange—it is definitely not clear at all the first time, but you're actually required to get caught and, because of that, i think it's kind of weird they wipe your progress at all.
but the thing to do is to go to the nearest save terminal (the one in the phone room up front will always be safe), save, and then let yourself get caught and do the puzzle. it's worth putting up with if you're enjoying the game otherwise IMO, because they're brief and usually much less stressful once you're ready to get caught and get it over with.

For a while now, I've held the opinion that the first half of Resident Evil 2 (the RPD, to be specific) is some of the greatest level design in all of gaming, and that it would've been one of the greatest games ever made if the whole game was just the RPD.

Hotel Letztes Jahr may as well be the RPD 2.0 with how well it's designed. And therefore Lorelei and the Laser Eyes is one of the greatest games ever made.

It's rare that I can give out that type of praise so soon after completing a game, but this game is just so goddamn incredible that I have no hesitations. It's Resident Evil with Professor Layton puzzles instead of zombies, which goes together better than peanut butter and jelly ever could. The puzzles are never too overwhelming, but are tricky enough where you get that lovely dopamine hit once you figure out the solution. The story is disorienting and yet elegant at the same time; I think a few things could've maybe been explained a touch better, but I already want to do a replay to dig up more details that I likely missed on a first pass. And the way things are tied back together is surprisingly clean and direct, which I really like; never been a fan of games like this that just kinda end out of nowhere without really explaining anything. The presentation deserves a shoutout too; the monochrome broken up by the bright red is incredibly striking and creepy; I wouldn't call it a horror game, but it does a great job of maintaining the tension where you're never truly comfortable, and there were a few moments that really caught me off guard. So is the OST; it's appropriately unsettling for the most part, but Simogo knew exactly when it needed to hit hardest, and boy does it.

The only complaints I have is that the QoL could've been improved a bit. A better control scheme as an option alongside the single-hand setup, a way to autosort your inventory, and a Resident Evil style map that shows which rooms you haven't fully explored would've all been appreciated. But those are minor things that don't really change the overall experience besides some mild frustration here and there.

I'm not quite sure where this will fall on my personal grading scale, but it's at the very least within my general S tier (which currently is populated by 23 games total out of 372 played, so that's already elite company). But I haven't been this engaged by a game since Outer Wilds, my personal undisputed GOAT. It's the only game I've given out an S+ grade to. Lorelei and the Laser Eyes might very well be the 2nd.

Last edited:
I’m jumping into this late but I’m loving it so far, 39% done. At first I thought it was just going to be a game with cool, kind of unsettling atmosphere and a lot of “puzzle book” puzzles for lack of a better term (I love puzzle book puzzles so that’s totally fine!) - but things have definitely picked up and gone off the rails in so many ways. I’ve had multiple instances of “I’m sorry… what” and I can’t wait to dig into it more.

My only complaint so far is that the game tells you you can get caffeinated and run faster, but after 5-6 hours I still have no idea how to get a damn cup of coffee. I need my fix!

The atmosphere of this game is so unsettling that something as simple as reading an art plaque titled ”Red window about to break” literally next to a red window… which then immediately breaks, because of course it does, still got me pretty hard

Back
Top Bottom