• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story releases March 13

7threst

Hello, lady of the house speaking?
Pronouns
He/him/his
llamasoft.jpg

Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story is an interactive documentary and compilation video game developed by Digital Eclipse. The release chronicles the software of British developer Jeff Minter and over 40 of his programs developed between 1981 and 1994. It is the second release in Digital Eclipse's Gold Master Series that began with The Making of Karateka (2023), which chronicled the history of the game Karateka (1984).
(source: Wikipedia)

Minter is the creator of such amazinging games as Mutant Camels, Laserzone, Gridrunner, Tempest 2000, Ratman, Space Invaders Extreme and the list goes on. Oh, and he seems to be an all around cool and amazing human being!

Game: Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story
Developer: Digital Eclipse
Genre: interactive documentary
Releasedate: 13 March 2024
Platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X׀S, Nintendo Switch, PC

Trailer:

i was definitely expecting Digital Eclipse to go for the obvious joke and release the game on April 20th (4/20), so having an earlier release is appreciated.
no word on price, but it shouldn't be too bad. (it's supposed to go up for pre-order on the Switch and Xbox stores on monday)

This is going to be amazing! Jeff Minter's work is extremely cool, really addictive gameplay loops with great visuals. Really excited to play all these and watch those interviews!

i was definitely expecting Digital Eclipse to go for the obvious joke and release the game on April 20th (4/20), so having an earlier release is appreciated.
no word on price, but it shouldn't be too bad. (it's supposed to go up for pre-order on the Switch and Xbox stores on monday)
I don't think anyone in the 80s/90s UK software scene would've known what 4/20 was

@kitosan & Krysta just published a video of them going on a tour of Digital Eclipse's studio, also featuring some discussion about this game.
the OST (part of DE's collaboration with the impending Minter documentary "Heart of Neon") is up on Bandcamp.

and while Tempest 3000 is not included for various reasons, Atari is inexplicably doing a reprint of the original Nuon version.

Love this compilation/virtual museum! So well put together, and great to try the games with so much context.

It also got me curious about more recent Llamasoft games, so I bought Moose Life on PS4 and wow! Feels so good to play and the arcade vibe combined with the psychedelic visual explosions just works so well for me.

OK it seems I’m going deep in to the minterverse 😅

I also just bought Tempest 4000 (on sale in EU eShop right now) and I am totally blown away. This is a 10/10 game so far in my book. So beautiful and well crafted! Some critics put it down because of the controls having too much inertia, but I think it all comes together beautifully with the way enemies move and the margin of error when picking up power ups. Also there’s a break button (which is somehow omitted in the instructions).

Anyway, just wanted to gush some more about my reignited appreciation for Mr Minters’ games. Such good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom