• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News LIVE A LIVE - Nintendo Treehouse demonstration (demo available now on eShop, save data transferrable)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we are getting some Treehouse segments. Maybe we will get more in July if we get some first party announcements.

So we are getting some Treehouse segments. Maybe we will get more in July if we get some first party announcements.
i think so too. the production here is way too solid for it to just be a single showing of one game, especially compared to the one-off treehouse segments we've had previously which were extremely low budget

Grab a seat and watch as members of Nintendo Treehouse play the Sequel to The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild with stunning visuals. Learn about the new Hyrule, sky islands and Link's new abilities with new gameplay mechanics!

I like how they're really pushing Live A Live, and then promptly decide to release a game in a couple weeks from it that'll steal basically all its audience

I'll be watching this and trying the demo, but probably not gonna pick this up at launch. So many games, not enough time

It's awesome that Nintendo did a Treehouse for such an obscure title (Treehouse is still alive), but I'll just play the demo myself.

The Treehouse demo actually shows of different chapters than are in the demo, and it doesn't go too deeply into either of the chapters demonstrated.

Last edited:
I like how they're really pushing Live A Live, and then promptly decide to release a game in a couple weeks from it that'll steal basically all its audience

I'll be watching this and trying the demo, but probably not gonna pick this up at launch. So many games, not enough time
It really won’t. Xenoblade 3 is a modern JRPG that will have DLC, third entry in a series, has a battle system that most people don’t get into. The people that will buy it at launch are the ones that are prepared for it. Live a Live is a SNES HD 2D remake, it’s for people that like SNES JRPGs, old Square games. It’s a bit cheaper as well (still quite expensive, will pick it up on sale tbh), it’s also apparently much shorter. It seems to have settings that are very different from what to expect out of a Xenoblade game. This really isn’t a case of one JRPG series eating the sales of another, like when Namco used to release Tales games close to FF releases. For Live a Live it’s really a different audience, different style of game, different scope and length

I, uh, am quite unimpressed after doing the Robot and Shifu prologues so far. Might cancel my preorder

I, uh, am quite unimpressed after doing the Robot and Shifu prologues so far. Might cancel my preorder
Which one is Shifu? Last time I tried the fan translation I started with Cube (Robot) and yea, it's definitely a choice to feature it in the demo. Like the concept is sound because there is minimal combat in that scenario so it's a good example of why this game is interesting with all the different gameplay styles. But making 1/3rd of the demo that would not have been my choice. Boko (Caveman) scenario would've been a better option if they're trying to highlight variety.

Which one is Shifu? Last time I tried the fan translation I started with Cube (Robot) and yea, it's definitely a choice to feature it in the demo. Like the concept is sound because there is minimal combat in that scenario so it's a good example of why this game is interesting with all the different gameplay styles. But making 1/3rd of the demo that would not have been my choice. Boko (Caveman) scenario would've been a better option if they're trying to highlight variety.
Shifu is the elder martial artist who doesn't have long left to live and needs to recruit 3 disciples to impart his training and knowledge upon them. It wasn't terrible or anything but I'm less sold than I thought I'd be after completing 2/3 characters.

Huuuuuge agree on Cube.

Has anyone tried the demo yet? What are your first impressions?
Like mentioned, I didn't care for the Robot chapter, as I'm not really an rpg person, and have ADHD so it's hard just to sit and read dialogue. But I did play the shifu chapter and there's a battle mini game in the Robot chapter with combat that really sold me on the combat system. I'm sure there's other games with the same system(still new to the genre), but the grid based real time stuff was really fun, especially with the move flavor text that provided a lot of character. Looking at the others,I can't see any of them being as "slow" as the robot chapter, so I will definitely get the game at some point. Jus bought #FE, so itll be next.

Robot/Future is not a great demo. Extremely slow and stops the moment it starts to take shape as a game.

I’ve seen enough that I’m sold but I don’t know if this demo does the game many favors.

I was underwhelmed by the robot chapter, completely whelmed by the generic Shifu chapter, and thought the Ninja chapter was awesome. 1 out of 3 isn't a great start and I'm going to cancel my preorder, but I'm definitely going to keep my ear close to the ground for reviews.

Also, the Ninja chapter looked stunning on my OLED TV.

I was underwhelmed by the robot chapter, completely whelmed by the generic Shifu chapter, and thought the Ninja chapter was awesome. 1 out of 3 isn't a great start and I'm going to cancel my preorder, but I'm definitely going to keep my ear close to the ground for reviews.

Also, the Ninja chapter looked stunning on my OLED TV.

Peer Schneider from IGN/NVC has gushed about Live A Live in the past, so I’m leaning towards this being a poor demo, and still really keen on giving it a shot.

Here’s his Tweet after the announcement. Potentially spoilers if you want to remain completely blind to the concept, but nothing I was bothered by:

Robot/Future is not a great demo. Extremely slow and stops the moment it starts to take shape as a game.

I’ve seen enough that I’m sold but I don’t know if this demo does the game many favors.
Yeah I started with it, it’s extremely slow and boring because nothing happens. Also loading screens after leaving a single room baffled me.

Still have it pre-ordered and hope the full game is better, because I will play it for the sole reason of it being a SNES RPG that was never officially released outside of Japan.

I watched the Treehouse but did not play the demo. They showed Wild West and Near Future.

Wild West looked just a little off graphically - the 2d was a little too 2d and the 3d was a little too 3d, if that makes sense, but I imagine that's also the most sparse setting. It still looks like a fun chapter.

Near Future looked beautiful and really fun - I was getting some Ninja Turtles vibes, believe it or not - and it made me feel pretty confident about my preorder.

One cool feature is that you can hop between the chapters pretty much at your leisure.

Really looking forward to this game.

It's really cool though that Treehouse featured scenarios that aren't in the demo.

I only have experience with Prehistoric, Near Future, and the Robot scenario from the SNES fan translation. If I were making the demo I probably would've gone with:

• Replace Robot with Prehistoric. The Prehistoric chapter features no dialogue aside from pictures. It's a very cute idea and if I recall correctly the chapter has multiple opportunities for just mucking around. Also there's a sniff mechanic you use to trigger random encounters when hunting. I think this would be different enough from your traditional JRPG without going as far as the Robot scenario.
  • Replace Sifu with either Near Future or Present Day. I didn't play Sifu but the Near Future chapter I played to completion and it's great albeit very much cribbing plenty of sci-fi/anime staples. Probably the closest thing the game has to a traditional JRPG feel, and a very balanced chapter in terms of story and combat. Present Day I think would be interesting for the demo to highlight the differences in the scenario structures but I think really short since it's basically Street Fighter in the LAL engine from what I understand.
  • Leave the Ninja one as is. This one is a cool concept and I from what I've read in the past I think there's a lot of flexibility for how players can approach it and is worth highlighting in the demo.

Not really sure where I’m left with this one. Absolutely loved the Far Future intro, I didn’t find it to be slow at all. Was most interested to continue that one.

Imperial China was good too, I liked the setup of recruiting some disciples and seeing their lives before training with the shifu. Loved the battle theme.

I played Edo Japan last and wow, really didn’t like it at all. The creepy plot hooked me in, and the castle looks great. I feel like the “stealth” mechanic is just awful though. With absolutely no stealth systems in place other than “make yourself hidden or not,” it’s a lot of irritating stop-start. Really didn’t like opening doors and immediately being on top of an enemy either. This one definitely soured me on the prospect of buying this next month.

Pretty big spoiler about the end of the game in the eurogamer article. Annoying.

Ok I've re-read the article twice now and I'm still not seeing it

The only thing that comes close to spoiler territory is the note about the bell in the Edo chapter

If you re-read it and didn't find any spoilers, that's good — it may not have been a spoiler for you

If you re-read it and didn't find any spoilers, that's good — it may not have been a spoiler for you
I've read enough coverage about the game in past to know I can't wait to see people's response to this game :)

But I'm curious what you think was a spoiler so if you wouldn't mind DMing me I'd love to know.

dialogue of the year

9rTGGOP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom