• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Let's talk about what type of "experiment" game Nintendo might be planning for Switch 2

Meelow

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
Ever since the Wii (Maybe GameCube?) Nintendo has had a game that experiments with the system features.

Wii: Wii Sports
71UVrQIlqbL.jpg

0*sqAghTBJl8gDafZU

Wii Sports consists of five separate sports games—tennis, baseball, bowling, golf, and boxing—accessed from the main menu.[10][11] The games use the motion sensor capabilities of the Wii Remote to control the player's dominant arm and/or the appropriate sports equipment it wields. Boxing utilizes both Wii Remote and Nunchuk gestures to control both of the player's arms. The player moves the remote in a similar manner to how the separate games are played in real life; for example, holding and swinging the Wii Remote like a golf club, baseball bat, tennis racket or bowling ball.[1] Some aspects of the gameplay are computer controlled. In tennis, player movement is controlled by the game's AI, while the swinging of the racket is controlled by the player. Baseball consists of batting and pitching, with all of the fielding and baserunning handled by the computer.[11] Due to their turn-based nature, golf and bowling support hotseat multiplayer and can be played with just one Wii Remote that can be shared among players.[12]

Wii U: Nintendo Land:
81jos8JeuSL.jpg

35375-menu-Nintendo-Land.jpg

The game takes place in an amusement park setting, which serves as a hub for the twelve minigames, which are depicted as the park's attractions. A robotic character named Monita guides the player through Nintendo Land's features and attractions. The first twelve minigames of Nintendo Land are based on popular Nintendo franchises: two of the attractions (Metroid Blast and Mario Chase) are based on Wii U tech demos shown at E3 2011, but are modified to feature Nintendo characters. These minigames are designed to incorporate elements which utilize the features of the Wii U GamePad, often in conjunction with other players using Wii Remotes and Nunchucks (with some games supporting up to five players in this configuration).[3] The combination of Wii Remotes and Wii U GamePads allows for asymmetric gameplay, where players have different experiences depending on which controller scheme they use.[4] Completing minigames and completing certain objectives earns coins, which can be used to play a single-player pachinko minigame. Winning pachinko stages will earn new items for decorating the Nintendo Land hub area.
81u9Vr4vr6L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

1799.jpg

1-2-Switch is a party video game in which players do not usually rely on what is happening on-screen, but rather make use of audio cues and the functionality of the Switch's Joy-Con controllers to play in several different games. It features 28 different minigames, most of which involve two players, who each use one of the Joy-Con controllers and are often encouraged to look at each other during gameplay. Aside from tutorial videos for each game, players mostly rely solely on audio cues and feedback from the Joy-Con's rumble feature to indicate how well they are performing.

These are three very different games with the same purpose of showing off what the features of the new systems include; I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has something new for the Switch 2 to launch alongside its flagship exclusive, but! What will it be? Nintendo has never done a sequel to these experimental games as a launch title (Like Wii Sports Resort wasn't a Wii U launch title, and honestly, after Everybody 1-2 Switch! I think the series is dead, and a Nintendo Land 2 would be amazing but I doubt that's going to happen...).

I also looked at Luigi Mansion; it was initially a tech demo for the GameCube to show off the technical capabilities of the system, and then it got turned into a real game; it would be cool to have something like that, a game that shows off the power of the Switch 2 but also maybe includes 4K Rumble (lol) or anything else.

Any expectations?

Last edited:
I expect ring fit adventure 2 in the first year of the switch 2.
A new Nintendo land would be awesome !

Imagine if they made something in the style of Nintendo Land, but it will be something silly cause EPD4 and it's not gonna be bundled with the console and people are gonna be pissed off. However it will sell quite a bit since it will be launch title.

It's hard to speculate without knowing what new features the next system might have; like, if the "hook" this time around is (just as an example) AR, then obviously I'd expect them to do something with that, and if the hook is just "better graphics/fast loading" then obviously they'd play to those strengths

Bit of a left field pull, but I think we're due for another Pilotwings at or near launch. SNES had it for mode 7, N64 had it for 3D, and 3DS had it for... well also 3D but a different kind of 3D. I could see Switch 2 being another instance where they think a pretty, chilled-out flying around the world kind of game could be a solid showpiece for their new hardware

My bet is a spiritual successor to the Nintendogs series that could take advantage of a variety of potential “gimmicks” the Switch 2 has been speculated to have:

Camera/Mic Functionality: Used in the same way as Nintendogs on the DS. Good way to reintroduce a concept that isn’t particularly new to Nintendo.

Scroll Wheels: Used when playing with pets such as Hamsters to spin wheels or balls.

Adaptive Triggers: Used when playing tug of war with a dog or having to hold onto their leash on walks.

AR: Used to play with your pets in the “real world”, in tandem with the other new gimmicks.

Liquidity/Hyodroventure successor or spiritual successor with full 3D movement and a new artstyle.

I don't expect any considerable new controller gimmicks, if any at all, but the hardware will be SO much more powerful, and so capable, that I think they'll lean into that in their "Nintendo" way- simulating huge volumes of liquids. Twist and turn the new Joy-Con, turn the control sticks, and swipe the R and L buttons to rotate and manipulate the whole environment. Manipulate ray traced light to its destination as you move lenses and mirrors, design and fill containers to act as lenses, and slam the weight of your water against a door until it breaks..

Make the most of the power while keeping it approachable, you know. PlayStation 5 had Astro's Playroom do this quite well I think.

I'm not fully expecting there to be one. When Nintendo first launched the Switch, in terms of their public brand they were still kinda in the Wii/DS era and were still pushing the "hey, we're so gimmicky" thing. If speculation is true that the next system won't really have a gimmick, I doubt we will see any new "welcome to Nintendo" launch games like Wii Sports or 1-2 Switch. With the Switch, Nintendo have been trying to include all different sorts of gamers and this is something we'll see expanded upon with the Switch 2, so I think they will still continue releasing "unbranded" casual games to fill that gap, like a Switch 2 Sports or another Clubhouse Games, and perhaps one of these could be a launch title, but it won't be a major part of the console's brand in the way 1-2 Switch was heavily marketed before release.

I'm thinking that the Switch 2 will have camera-focused game collection at launch with the TV mode games focus on motion tracking and the handheld mode games would focus on AR (acting like a spiritual successor to AR games).

Gonna be bold here: none

the switch 2 will sell on 3D Mario alone, and further titles on the pipeline

I feel like the original switch clearly demonstrated that legacy hype is what sold the console

Joycon will be modular and components will be easily taken out and put back in. Nintendo Switch Out - games will just be based on whatever monstrosity you replace the diamond facebuttons with

Last edited:
My thought - that I am not at all confident on, and not actually very interested in from a player perspective - is that between the split controllers with gyros, the Switch having its own screen due to being a handheld, a dock you can plug the screen into, and the rumoured additional camera on the screen for eye-tracking, the Switch 2 would be uniquely well-suited to having out-of-the-box VR with no additional barriers to entry. Just put some some extra motion-tracking hardware in the dock and make it able to transform into a headset with a couple of steps. So the 'experimental' games would be the Switch 2 version of Metroid Prime 4, and the 3D Mario.

Points against:
  • Nintendo likes games to be social experiences, and VR is the opposite of that. On the other hand, Nintendo likes selling multiple systems per household, and a VR-capable console-handheld hybrid is going to be extra good at that.
  • I don't know how much extra hardware the dock would need, but that sounds non-trivial cost-wise so maybe it really would be better with a separate headset you can buy (that still would be much cheaper than any VR solution out there).
  • The screen might not be up to the task. But with eye-tracking 3D and fancy AI up-resing it could be 'fine' which is all it really needs to be for out of the box 3D.

VR is a very niche product that makes whatever you're selling much more expensive at the same time, and making it a key feature that everyone is forced to buy in to would be a Wii U Tablet Tier disaster.

It's probably the easiest way to destroy the sales potential of the successor.

VR is a very niche product that makes whatever you're selling much more expensive at the same time, and making it a key feature that everyone is forced to buy in to would be a Wii U Tablet Tier disaster.

It's probably the easiest way to destroy the sales potential of the successor.
I think this is just me not being aware of the extra costs involved that you'd need to pack into the headset. Though I do also wonder if the reason it's niche is because of the up-front costs.

A new 2d Zelda maybe? :p seems out there for them.

I honestly don't expect anything to experimental for launch. But I do expect some ai/machine learning/ar shenanigans.

A new Nintendo GS actually could work well for that

There were patents like AR implementation with smartphones as dual screen as ....

I still like the scrolling wheels idea, it was just more than beign a scrolling wheel.

Anyway, a better 3d screen is what i wish.

Dont forget, miyamotto said they working on the next tradional controller

There were patents like AR implementation with smartphones as dual screen as ....

I still like the scrolling wheels idea, it was just more than beign a scrolling wheel.

Anyway, a better 3d screen is what i wish.

Dont forget, miyamotto said they working on the next tradional controller
Same. Interestingly both 3D and scroll wheel shoulder buttons were considered for GameCube and dualscreen even made it into some games (with a Gameboy advance). 3D would look absolutely stunning on Switch 2s 1080p screen, with even better eyetracking than new 3DS (which was pretty good already) and with graphics better than PS4 on handheld mode. Even though it‘s probably unlikely, a 3D screen really would be nice and it also would help to differentiate it from Switch.

Back
Top Bottom