• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Let's talk about My Nintendo smartphone app

LukasManak22

who the fuck is that
my-nintendo-app.jpg

"My Nintendo is a free app that makes your Nintendo gaming experience more fun, convenient and cost-effective."

"With this app, you can check your My Nintendo point balance, as well as the records you've played on Nintendo Switch, 3DS and Wii U, the latest information on software, and buy software from Nintendo eShop and merchandise from the My Nintendo store. This app is also useful for checking in at stores such as the official Nintendo store "Nintendo TOKYO / OSAKA" and various events."

For purpose of this thread, I downloaded and tried the app and it really is like 3DS activity log, it shows first and last time you played a game, with a more detailed stats each day.

Screenshot-2023-05-01-12-17-29-666-edit-com-nintendo-znej.jpg

Not to mention that the app also connects with your Wii U/3DS so you also see these stats.

But as you probably figured, this only works if you have a japanese Nintendo account, it will not let you with any other region. It's been over 3 years since the app was released in Japan and it's still constantly getting updates, with the 2.0.0 arriving just a week ago.

This still has not made it's way from Japan and it will probably never will. As you can see, the app can track hours of software played but better (as also shown with Parental Controls app, however with that app it will start tracking after you set it up, with this app it always tracks).

They should probably merge all their apps like Switch Online, this My Nintendo app and Parental Controls into one to have all purpose app for everything.

Features of this app like check-in for Nintendo stores or Nintendo events will obviously not be much useful right now as much as they are in Japan. But the more detailed activity log forever locked into a japanese accounts, really is a shame. And the app really is great, you can buy things from the eShop, check blog posts etc.

I really don't understand why this is Japan only; in the grand scheme of things it seems like it would be relatively easy to localise. I guess maybe Nintendo see it as more of a "general" app, and don't want to launch it elsewhere if features like Nintendo store/event check-in won't be used?

I really don't understand why this is Japan only; in the grand scheme of things it seems like it would be relatively easy to localise. I guess maybe Nintendo see it as more of a "general" app, and don't want to launch it elsewhere if features like Nintendo store/event check-in won't be used?
Yeah, that's probably it. Then it would "just" be. Activity log, blog posts/news and watch Directs and buy from eShop/My Nintendo. It would be completely different story if they abandoded the app but it's still constantly getting updates.

I don't get it especially from the activity log feature, it isn't on the Switch itself, much like the voice chat with Switch Online. So if they want to force people to use it like with voice chat they should made this app available. But it's also probably the fact that My Nintendo store physical rewards in EU/US are much more barebones than these in Japan, it's completely different thing there. EU is getting better ones but US is still somewhat behind.

They really should allow this to also redeem points for user icons. The interface in the Switch is slow as molasses and I should be able to configure my icon when I’m on the go.

They really should allow this to also redeem points for user icons. The interface in the Switch is slow as molasses and I should be able to configure my icon when I’m on the go.
Big time. The NSO app on switch is terrible. This needs to be like the PlayStation app. Make it the profile, my Nintendo reward, eshop, etc in one. Then have all the current user functions as well from all regions (playtime, game specific stuff). The chat stuff is not good obviously but that’s what we are stuck with so might as well make it much better with a total overhaul.

Back
Top Bottom