• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club let's rank moths

What is the best moth?

• Total voters

Dardan Sandiego

Dill Spowser's Nephew
Pronouns
he/him
there are eight moths in the national pokédex. olddex? natdex? anyway let's rank the moths

I do not care what you do. but I recommend including what your favourite generation is. if you feel like it, you could explain each choice. that's what I'll do

sorry for this thread. I am not on the computer. kind regards

the poll is for best moth. you can change your vote, so if someone convinces you you could change your vote

fuck masquerain

thank you for reading

Frosmoth is best. Super cuddly.

40g4yRm_d.webp

fuck yeah

Volcarona, because fire types rule.

Also, I had no idea the last two were Pokemon. I didn't know there were Pokemon whose names were made up of two words. Weird!

Plus, Iron Moth is a hilariously bad name.

Volcarona. Gen V was the generation where Game Freak decided to go ham on making the best Bug-types, and that fire moth is one of them.

And yes, like most cool Gen V Pokémon, it evolves at so ridiculously high a level that you can't use it at all in the main game. But that's not Volcarona's fault. They didn't ask to evolve at Level 59.

Frosmoth best moth, Mothim worst moth. What a plain design Mothim is. Very pointless pokémon, Burmy already has a better evolution with a neat gimmick.

If this thread is missing a letter then my answer is June.

Also, I had no idea the last two were Pokemon. I didn't know there were Pokemon whose names were made up of two words. Weird!

They're from a small subcategory of Pokémon that are intentionally designed to be very alien. The lore is vague but they don't really seem to be natural Pokémon at all. The naming scheme reflects this - they're more like codenames, with a couple of them actually having real names on top of their codenames. That said, there have been other, "normal" Pokémon with two word names in the past, such as Mr. Mime and Tapu Koko/Fini/Lele/Bulu, and hyphenated ones such as Ho-Oh, Porygon-Z and Jangmo-o

Last edited:

Right, how is 'Iron Moth' a Gen IX Pokemon name. That's like what a monster would've been called in Dragon Quest I on NES.

637.png
994.png

Volcarona​
The cooler Volcarona​

Lies Volcarona is better design and stats; that's where my vote went

Frosmoth is the clear winner. Honourable mention for Venomoth because I like its shiny.

Rest are all meh to I can't even remember Mothim exists half the time

6824a8acbe9d66fc53e9c48d6f0e1f292fac480b.png

it kinda whips tho look how cool those wings are

I like every version of Volcarona the most, but I voted for Iron Moth to be different and cause Slither Wing is my least favorite of the three

Volcarona might be my favorite pokemon ever, so it gets the vote. Frosmoth is cool (heh) too!

what a great thread!
personally, i was always a fan of the Rosy Maple Moth, since it's colors are so exaggerated. plus with it's big ol eyes and stubby arms, it looks like a child trying to be a commander in some shots and I really like that.

dryocampa-rubicunda-krupsaw.jpg

A close runner up is the Venezuelan Poodle Moth; It looks like it's always in plushie form and like it's dripping with regal elegance. It has a similar build to the poodle moth too, so the cute proportions get to stay.
d35742595eafbf8b678169fe57.png

However, top of the class? Hands down, best moth? The Cecropia. Between it's unparalleled size, and GORGEOUS colors, these are the ones I would herald as a true showing of what Moths can be. The utter beauty of this critter makes me want to pet it and gawk at it's wings.
cecropia-moth-face-01.jpg.990x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Wait...POKEMON? oh, venomoth i suppose.

Right, how is 'Iron Moth' a Gen IX Pokemon name. That's like what a monster would've been called in Dragon Quest I on NES.
See:
They're from a small subcategory of Pokémon that are intentionally designed to be very alien. The lore is vague but they don't really seem to be natural Pokémon at all. The naming scheme reflects this - they're more like codenames, with a couple of them actually having real names on top of their codenames. That said, there have been other, "normal" Pokémon with two word names in the past, such as Mr. Mime and Tapu Koko/Fini/Lele/Bulu, and hyphenated ones such as Ho-Oh, Porygon-Z and Jangmo-o

White-Plume-Mark-Pike-2017.jpg

Love a good plume moth, Of the available options, I chose Frosmoth but honestly it was closer than I thought going in. Only real stinker is Mothim imo.

Finally. A topic made literally for me.

I have to vote for Volcarona just for being the best and elevating every other Moth with its presence alone but I basically love every moth that isn't Mothim

I thought this was going to be about real life moths so I was so disappointed to see it's just Pokemon instead :'(

I think all moths are beautiful though and I refuse to pit them against each other. Love and peace on planet moth.

Volcarona is my favorite gen 5 Pokémon. Just has such a cool and mystic aura to it. Being able to catch a low level one in BW2 is such a great thing in that game.

I thought this was going to be about real life moths so I was so disappointed to see it's just Pokemon instead :'(

I think all moths are beautiful though and I refuse to pit them against each other. Love and peace on planet moth.
What moths do you like the most?

what a great thread!
personally, i was always a fan of the Rosy Maple Moth, since it's colors are so exaggerated. plus with it's big ol eyes and stubby arms, it looks like a child trying to be a commander in some shots and I really like that.

dryocampa-rubicunda-krupsaw.jpg

A close runner up is the Venezuelan Poodle Moth; It looks like it's always in plushie form and like it's dripping with regal elegance. It has a similar build to the poodle moth too, so the cute proportions get to stay.
d35742595eafbf8b678169fe57.png

However, top of the class? Hands down, best moth? The Cecropia. Between it's unparalleled size, and GORGEOUS colors, these are the ones I would herald as a true showing of what Moths can be. The utter beauty of this critter makes me want to pet it and gawk at it's wings.
cecropia-moth-face-01.jpg.990x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Wait...POKEMON? oh, venomoth i suppose.
Real-life bugs terrify the shit outta me, but these dudes look pretty chill.

Rosy Maple Moth
This is gorgeous! I’ve never seen one before. This moth seems like it’s always ready to party!

Venezuelan Poodle Moth
These have always been adorable, and why I was so happy when Frosmoth was revealed in Gen 8

The Cecropia
It’s cool and also kinda sad that the probable reason they look so pretty is because their sole purpose is to mate. Can’t even eat anymore.

We can talk about real moths! Since poodle moths have been mentioned, I’ll give a shout out to Hercules moths, which I like because they’re BEEEG

This seems fun so why not. I’ve only played gens 1, 2, and 9 and 9 is my fav.

8 Masquerain - this one looks unappealing. Too abstract. Not a fan.

7 Volcarona - this looks like a bug living in a flower. A neat bug, but ehh…

6 Mothim - this looks like a little dude with wings rather than a moth. Don’t dislike it though.

5 Frosmoth - kind of neat? It doesn’t really work for me, but I still kind of like it.

4 Venomoth - ah I grew up with this one! It’s kind of generic…

3 Dustox - this one looks like it is up to something. Initially said nah, but it’s growing on me and somehow that is enough for third place lol.

2 Slither Wing - this one looks cool. Not much of a moth though. Does dino moth actually fly? Dino moth is too cool though to not get second place.

1 Iron Moth - robot moth is the winner here. Looks like a moth and robots are cool. Easy!

Most memorable moth goes to the infamous Creatonotos gangis, or Baphomet Moth.

E_MhosvXoAI3JXC

Saw one of these fuckers pulsating on the wall outside a bank in Florida once (not even the right continent for them), was concerned that the end had come.

(It is, of course, from Australia.)

I skipped Gen V so I don't feel a strong connection to Volcarona. However, I love Frosmoth despite skipping Gen VIII, so maybe it's just a matter of taste.

Iron Moth is rad though, completely lost it when I saw Turo open the final battle with his.

E_MhosvXoAI3JXC

Saw one of these fuckers pulsating on the wall outside a bank in Florida once (not even the right continent for them), was concerned that the end had come.

Wikipedia calls this the "Australian horror moth" and that sounds about right

Real-life bugs terrify the shit outta me, but these dudes look pretty chill.
they're pretty wacky critters which I think helps sell them
I genuinely have not seen any moths yet that I didn't like, but I think moon moths might be some of my favorites.

Chinese_Luna_Moths.jpg

I recently found out about New Zealand lichen moths though, which have very lovely wing patterns!
Declana-atronivea1a__FitMaxWzUwMCw1MDBd.jpg
They are VERY FUNKY I love the wings!

E_MhosvXoAI3JXC

This shit would make me burn my house down, holy shit that's terrifying.

Those hairy appendages are actually supposed to attract mates! It's their love language, kinda cute to think about it in that way.

After the hit Dan Aykroyd comedy "My stepmother is an alien", look forward to the unofficial sequel "My eldricht abomination girlfriend is kinda cute".

Back
Top Bottom