• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion LEGO teases a LEGO DK set (with extra Kong goodness)!

Oh, DK, that makes sense as the next Lego character.

Ah, they’re doing Cranky too? Cool.

Oh, Diddy as well? Makes sense, he’s DK’s buddy after all. I’m surprised they are doing three off the bat.

What do you mean, Dixie as well? You didn’t have to go this far, but I won’t complain.

FUNKY KONG, YOU ABSOLUTE MAD LADS.

Oh..WOW.
Now, if he banana playset will be good, I'll probably bite
I've already a couple of Mario's set in house, with Peach character too: my daughter love them and she and my first born LOVED the movie, so...

I'd just need a f*cking new DK game for my Switch, damn!

All this DK stuff makes me wonder if the big 18+ set later in the year is going to be Donkey Kong related.

Quoted by: Joe
Happy for people who are into these sets but man, I'd kill for adult orientated ones with proper mini-figs. Peach's castle, Bowser's castle, etc.

All this DK stuff makes me wonder if the big 18+ set later in the year is going to be Donkey Kong related.
I hope so. I'm not really one for the Lego Mario playsets but I'm all for the 18+ sets. The Mighty Bowser is one of my favorite things that I've built. Something like that for DK would be a dream come true. I could see them doing a giant poseable Donkey Kong like Bowser (make them fight!), or perhaps a DK barrel with level dioramas like the Mario ? Block. Or maybe a functioning mine cart ride? Lots of potential!

Happy for people who are into these sets but man, I'd kill for adult orientated ones with proper mini-figs. Peach's castle, Bowser's castle, etc.
This is where I'm at. I would love real lego sets. Probably for the best, saves me a bunch of money.

So these 5 are the main Kong cast now, TF Switch was the start but then Tour and this and kinda the movie except for Funky. That's nice though I hope Kiddie isn't completely dead, though for some reason he seems to have some weird hatedom?

One of these 3 will be in next smash even if its just Funky as an echo, calling it

With DK moving in-house, Sakurai (or whoever the next Smash director will be) has no excuse for leaving Dixie, Cranky, and/or Funky out of the next Smash Bros. Their chances will only go up once MonkEPD and the potential DK movie releases.

With DK moving in-house, Sakurai (or whoever the next Smash director will be) has no excuse for leaving Dixie, Cranky, and/or Funky out of the next Smash Bros. Their chances will only go up once MonkEPD and the potential DK movie releases.
I mean I'd say do Dixie first, Isabelle esc clone if needed but tbh I could also see a weird Chrom esc thing (tho still might be too dif to count as echo) cause her Up B may be K.Rool's

I don't see all 3 happening, best case is Dixie and Funky with 1 as echo imo

As an aside, honestly wonder if Funky could be their way of removing the series biggest issue for popularity, difficulty. Yes Super Kong but no one wants to just watch the level be played, but still getting to play it but with the difficulty nerfed may appeal (I also think it may be slightly easier in-house, like keep in mind many fans claim Retro games are harder then Rare maybe just going back in that direction)

I mean I'd say do Dixie first, Isabelle esc clone if needed but tbh I could also see a weird Chrom esc thing (tho still might be too dif to count as echo) cause her Up B may be K.Rool's

I don't see all 3 happening, best case is Dixie and Funky with 1 as echo imo

As an aside, honestly wonder if Funky could be their way of removing the series biggest issue for popularity, difficulty. Yes Super Kong but no one wants to just watch the level be played, but still getting to play it but with the difficulty nerfed may appeal (I also think it may be slightly easier in-house, like keep in mind many fans claim Retro games are harder then Rare maybe just going back in that direction)
It's a bit of an interesting situation. Regarding the DK series, Dixie has the biggest support amongst Smash players. However, Cranky seems to be the one getting the bigger push from Nintendo themselves, and Funky is a huge meme generator beloved by all kinds.

Regardless of who gets in, I think one of them is guaranteed for the next installment.

It's a bit of an interesting situation. Regarding the DK series, Dixie has the biggest support amongst Smash players. However, Cranky seems to be the one getting the bigger push from Nintendo themselves, and Funky is a huge meme generator beloved by all kinds.

Regardless of who gets in, I think one of them is guaranteed for the next installment.
I mean we first played as Cranky 10 years ago which... ok not recent at all, but Dixie has been playable for almost 30 years. Also Smash 4 and Ultimate did a lot for it, but I still think generally more women is better, and in this case it doesn't feel like the occasional suggestion where its rejecting the way more viable male choice purely for that

It depends, imo.

For example: Zelda has not only remained in public view thanks to a more regular release schedule, it's also never stopped being relevant. And yet, no new character(s) since Brawl. We can't even get someone like BOTW!Zelda, Wolf Link or Classic!Ganon, as long as we're stuck using different versions of the main case.

Maybe things will change, but the pessimistic part of me wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai considered having the "classic trio" of DK, Diddy and K. Rool "enough".

Hell, I'm still waiting for him to let go of his "Bowser and K. Rool are depicted as monsters who don't speak because that's how I prefer them".

Cranky seems to be the one getting the bigger push from Nintendo themselves

I think in regards to the Mario movie, he was just the most reasonable secondary Kong to give a role (as the elder / ruler Kong); the rest were likely decided to be better saved for the inevitable DK movie, nothing they could realistically contribute to Mario's story. Worth nothing that Cranky isn't in Mario Kart Tour (yet at least; could still turn up eventually); Diddy, Dixie and Funky were first picks there.

It depends, imo.

For example: Zelda has not only remained in public view thanks to a more regular release schedule, it's also never stopped being relevant. And yet, no new character(s) since Brawl. We can't even get someone like BOTW!Zelda, Wolf Link or Classic!Ganon, as long as we're stuck using different versions of the main case.

Maybe things will change, but the pessimistic part of me wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai considered having the "classic trio" of DK, Diddy and K. Rool "enough".

Hell, I'm still waiting for him to let go of his "Bowser and K. Rool are depicted as monsters who don't speak because that's how I prefer them".
I mean BOTW wasn't out during last smash deciding, after BOTW exploded I'd be shocked if nothing, but yeah I moreso think Funky or Dixie echo feels easy to do

It depends, imo.

It doesn't help Zelda much with it having a rotating cast and all. DK doesn't have that problem. With that said, I always felt that's a poor excuse. Despite not being relevant, characters like Skull Kid or Midna has had a huge impact on Zelda fans and gamers alike. Then you have characters like Impa and Tingle who pop up every once in a while that have a huge following. Finally, you got BotW which is the biggest Zelda has ever been. The Champions that work like Pokemon Trainer would be really cool. The fact of the matter is Zelda is long overdue, and I think no matter who gets chosen Zelda fans would be ecstatic to finally get representation, speaking as a Zelda fan myself.

I think in regards to the Mario movie, he was just the most reasonable secondary Kong to give a role (as the elder / ruler Kong); the rest were likely decided to be better saved for the inevitable DK movie, nothing they could realistically contribute to Mario's story. Worth nothing that Cranky isn't in Mario Kart Tour (yet at least; could still turn up eventually); Diddy, Dixie and Funky were first picks there.
Cranky (well Rabbid Cranky) was also playable in that Rabbids DLC, though I guess that was more of a creative decision from Soliani and team.

And oops, I forgot this isn't the DK general thread. Don't want to derail this with Smash talk. 😅

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I could easily see all 3 being playable in the next Smash. Assuming the next Smash game is Ultimate 2 and adds to the existing roster, both Funky and Dixie can easily be DK and Diddy echo fighters. Cranky would have to be built as a new character from the ground up. I wouldn't expect all 3 to be in the base game if that was the plan. They'd probably leave one as a DLC character. I see at least Dixie and Cranky being the next Smash tbh. Remember that we got 2 Fire Emblem characters and 2 Metroid characters in Ultimate and DK is being much more pushed than both those IPs at the moment considering we're getting an upcoming theme park next year.

Welp. Looks like I've got quite a few Legos I'm purchasing in the future.

Think each of the Kongs will come with their own little playset? I can see DK coming with his treehouse, Cranky coming with his cabin, Funky with his airplane...Diddy could come with a minecart, but then what could Dixie come with?

Talking about Smash Ultimate, there's already Lego Bowser, Yoshi and Minecraft Steve. With these DK sets and the Sonic sets coming soon, you can create your own Smash Ultimate Lego diorama.

We got a look at the first playset, Donkey Kong's Treehouse(which per series tradition is not actually up in a tree(except in DK64))!

Looks like this set comes with both DK AND Cranky. God, this looks so nice! There's even a bouncy DKC1 tire! This is gonna be a definite must buy for me!

It doesn't help Zelda much with it having a rotating cast and all. DK doesn't have that problem. With that said, I always felt that's a poor excuse. Despite not being relevant, characters like Skull Kid or Midna has had a huge impact on Zelda fans and gamers alike. Then you have characters like Impa and Tingle who pop up every once in a while that have a huge following. Finally, you got BotW which is the biggest Zelda has ever been. The Champions that work like Pokemon Trainer would be really cool. The fact of the matter is Zelda is long overdue, and I think no matter who gets chosen Zelda fans would be ecstatic to finally get representation, speaking as a Zelda fan myself.

Cranky (well Rabbid Cranky) was also playable in that Rabbids DLC, though I guess that was more of a creative decision from Soliani and team.

And oops, I forgot this isn't the DK general thread. Don't want to derail this with Smash talk. 😅
Well it's worth noting Miyamoto has a specific fondness for Cranky. I don't know if its just cause he technically is his DK (but he def seems to love the direction Rare took him if so, kinda funny since they made him an asshole), he specifically told Retro to bring back Cranky...

Ok now I actually can't find a source for this, so I guess I'll mention it as a maybe and perhaps someone knows, I believe said source specifically mentions he suggested Cranky and Rambi for Returns. Maybe fake, DK is not foreign to fake Miyamoto rumors even if usually they paint him poorly unlike here where good

Back
Top Bottom