• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

(Late to the party)

Cantaim

Shriekbat
Well, I've been on a bit of a Zelda kick recently. I got back into Tears of the Kingdom a month or so ago, after doing a replay of Breath of the Wild. In the middle of that Tears of the Kingdom replay, I realized I had received Skyward Sword HD as a gift many months ago and never played it. Not one to ignore a mistake upon realizing it, I decided enough was enough, and that I'd give the last Zelda game on the Wii a chance on my Switch.

For reference, on top of never playing this game on the Switch, I never played this game on the Wii either! I know of parts of the games thanks to osmosis and getting bits and blurbs from the first Hyrule Warriors. So, I knew of Ghirahim and Demise, that this was a sort of origin story for the entire series, and how the game is a bit hit or miss in spots. But, without further ado, let's dive in.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is the music of Skyward Sword. As far as I'm aware, this is the first console Zelda title to use a live orchestra for its soundtrack. It might also be the first in general, but I'm only 100% confident on the console part, haha. But, back on point, as the first game of its kind musically on consoles, you can definitely tell that going in, the composers knew they'd eventually take their tunes to orchestras. There's a really big emphasis at the start of the game for these large sweeping tracks. Now, the downside for me is I was not very good at Skyward Sword, so I often had the tracks interrupted by the low heart sound effect. Though, on the bright side, I did generally like the tracks I heard without interruptions! Some of my select highlights are below.

(Insert famous bit of trivia about how this is Zelda's lullaby backwards here).

(They said not to break the chandelier. You didn't, right)?

Overall, one of the things I think the game did really well musically was giving great calming and relaxing music in Skyloft. Yes, the surface world isn't as bad as they thought, but the further you get in the game, the clearer it gets that Skyloft really is paradise. The music reflecting this in most every Skyloft location was really nice to me.

To look ahead, I think it would make sense to talk about the graphics and art that accompanied all the music of this game. Coming off the grittier fantasy look that Twilight Princess had, Skyward Sword went for a gentler watercolor look across all its environments and enemies. Colors are bright but not too vibrant; the most common enemy, bokoblins, are actually rather silly to look at, and nothing seems to be trying to stress you out too much while playing. I think part of the influence for this might have been due to its heavy use of motion controls. I have no source for this and could be proven wrong easily. But I felt like, art-wise, it was all done so as to keep people from getting too stressed or intimidated during fights due to the heavy use of the Wii mote.

I've put some choice screenshots below if anyone wants 3 doses of Skyward Sword.
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-image-3.jpg
the_legend_of_zelda_skyward_sword_hd_screenshot_2-1536x864.jpg
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-image-12-1536x864.jpg
106557-1920-1080-3ea2ac33ea46bcf4fb870233b2b35ac46bc78a2b.jpg
Suprise secret 4th Ghirahim

Not entirely done with this, so I'd like to talk about enemies. Part of the fun for Zelda (at least for me) is seeing how the team interprets classic monsters and bosses of the series with each new entry, along with their own original creations for their entry to stand alongside them. Truthfully, for the regular enemies, there weren't many I thought of as iconic. The most fun I had was in the second half of the game when the bokoblins got really into character in the dungeons they were in and dressed thematically with them. But what did not disappoint me were the boss designs! I am actually a sucker for quite a few of the bosses and mini bosses in this game. Ghirahim and Demise had fun designs; the pirate captain was inspired, and I found myself loving most all of the dungeon bosses!

Like before I've put screenshots of some but this time added comments beneath each picture.

Scervo.jpg
The picture may be low quality but the feeling of excitement when you realize he's gonna rush you is anything but!
TYg9RNjAnhmfKBJuq7uBRc.jpg
I've seen some people say they don't like this leviathan and that it's too silly. But to me this is stuff I love. A silly design that would absolutely make me poop my pants if I was looking over a boat and saw a giant orange eye stare back.
skyward-sword-bosses-10.jpg
A very simple boss that was another rendition of the classic "hit a ball back and forth" boss the series tends to always do. I loved the section before this where you chased down the infected sky whale and the infection itself is this great mix of dinosaur and virus.
maxresdefault.jpg
GIANT ROBOT ALL CRITICISMS INVALID

Phew, that was a lot of pictures. I think that's about it on the art and enemy design side. I could easily ramble about this for a few paragraphs, but I think it's best to keep things a little bit in scope. I think the natural thing to move onto next is gameplay since I brought up motion controls earlier.

I am a bad person to ask about this for a few reasons. One, I love when games in long-running series experiment with wild new things, and a mostly motion-controlled Zelda game was fascinating for me. I played mostly with the non-motion-controlled Switch setup. But I did make sure to do bosses with and without motion controls. The game is so centered around motion controls you can easily tell you are not playing the original vision when not using them. Which makes talking about this hard as I'm aware I didn't get the full experience. But in my time with the boss fights, while I loved it when it worked, I did not love it when it didn't! Something I think summarizes the entire game's control scheme. It can be a great and interactive experience, but it can also be a frustrating interactive experience within seconds of each other. This was true for me in the controls as well as the dungeons themselves. I'm not really going to talk about the dungeons. I know some love Zelda for them, but to me, I really do play the series for everything else. But if I'm not going to talk about the dungeons, I suppose I can move onto talking about the story. I had fun with it, so I'm kinda pumped to lay it out and chat about it!

Skyward Sword has a lot of things going for it. It's the first fully original Wii Zelda game, it's an origin story, and it's celebrating the 25th anniversary of the series in general. There's a lot on its plate, and I think it by and large nails most of what it wants to do. To start, we find ourselves in Skyloft. Link, in this game, is a knight in training at Skyloft Academy. He is currently having a foreboding dream before he is abruptly awoken by a...

db776d3adc9a50bcdfe154250d1190fc.jpg

Loftwing?

sleepylink-850x478.jpg

Well, we can't all have a glorious beginning, but I think this fits Skyward Sword Link. We have Link here on the day of his graduation, being a bit unimpressed that he got woken up early at Zelda's request. If he can win a ceremonial game later in the day, he'll be a graduate knight of Skyloft Academy and begin the next phase of his life! Through context clues and reading Zelda's diary later in the game, we can find Link didn't seem to spend much (if any) time preparing for this event. It sets the stage for this Link to be a little different than every other version, in that he seems to be a little lazy—a trait that may come to bite him in the butt later. Back on point, though, Link was woken up early in order to get some practice in before the event, at Zelda's request. The problem is his Loftwing (the giant birds you ride) isn't answering its summon. Upon investigation, we find the culprit behind this t...

skyward-sword-characters-4abed.jpg

GROOSE. Wow sorry don't know what happened there Groose broke in. But yea Groose locked up your bird and as a result Link free's it, wins the event, and gets to have a special ceremony with Zelda afterwords. Zelda like Link is different in this game than normal. In Skyward Sword she's a lot more playful and kinda flirty with Link. A stark contrast to her Twilight Princess version that was very stern.

zelda-skyward-sword-hd-2.jpg

At the special ceremony, Zelda presents Link with a sailcloth. This comes full circle later, but legends say that the Goddess Hylia gifted this to her chosen hero. After this intimate moment, you and Zelda go for a flight on your Loftwings before a tornado erupts and forces Zelda beneath the cloud sea. This sets off a chain of events that lead to Link finding the Skyward Sword in Skyloft and departing beneath the clouds to the land below.

As far as prologues go, I liked what this game did. I'm told it takes much longer in the Wii version compared to the Switch port, so that is also a plus. But for a game with a very limited cast, this portion does a good job at setting everything up to be paid off (by roughly the halfway point). I won't further recap the story as I'd be here for a while if I did. But Link's mini character arc starts here and wraps up at the end of the third dungeon. He starts off the game not really pressed about anything and doesn't seem to mind that he just missed finding Zelda at the end of the first dungeon. By the second dungeon, he arrives late again only to be chewed out by Impa for not getting there on time and helping Zelda. Then at the third dungeon, Link finally arrives on time to interrupt Ghirahim's surprise attack and ask Impa if he made it on time. Impa smiles and says "yeah," and that brings a close to Link's small arc. No longer the slacker, he's someone ready to tackle the challenge without holding back.

Other fun story highlights are that legend at the start of the game about how the goddess gave a sailcloth to her chosen hero. Well, over the course of the game, it's revealed that Zelda is the mortal reincarnation of that goddess. After this reveal, time travel is introduced, and Link goes back into the past to talk to Zelda, who has now fully regained her memories as a goddess. She then reaffirms to Link that he is her chosen champion of legend. Then in the finale, you go back to the past one last time to defeat Demise, the evil that the goddess and her champion fought. I don't think the game points it out at the end, but reflecting on this scene, it's rather cute. Nobody at the time knew this, but the legend isn't some impersonal epic about a god and her champion. It was actually a story about Link and Zelda.

I have some more thoughts about the game and story but it's probably good to end here. I'd love to talk more about it so if anyone is down to chat after reading this text dump feel free to post!

Last edited:
Awesome thread. The music is great, the narration is wonderful, the game is excellent. The Switch version corrected the accessibility problems and allowed me to enjoy the game. I absolutely love Skyward Sword.

I've got a real soft spot for Skyward Sword, and was always more generally positive on it than most of the fanbase. I played through most of the game back on Wii and getting to replay (and actually finish) it on Switch only cemented my opinion that it got more right than it gets credit for. While it's not my favorite of the 3D Zeldas, I think it's probably in my top 5. It's just got a lot going for it that hit all the right notes to me: a solid and actually pretty engaging story, some of the best dungeons/bosses/items in the series, memorable side characters, an art style that I think holds up pretty dang well, and just this oozing sense of whimsy and charm about it

And I'll always appreciate how it feels like both the culmination of one way of doing things while also acting as a stepping stone of what was yet to come. While the sky overworld is on the sparse side compared something like Windwaker's The Great Sea, the on-ground areas are all so carefully designed and laid out in a way that really make full use of the mandatory revisits and the linear/guided structure of the game, pretty much always finding ways to keep things fresh (for instance I know it gets some flak but I actually really like the part when the whole forest is temporarily flooded and you need to collect all the Tadtones; it's a vibe); meanwhile things like stamina and weapon durability and some other things we all associate with the more recent open-air Zelda games kinda started to take shape here. It's fitting in a way that a game like Skyward Sword could both so heavily look to the series past while also laying the groundwork for the future of the franchise

Also I know you mentioned it in your write-up but I'm gonna bring it up again because in my opinion this is still, to this day, flat-out one of the coolest things any video game has ever done not just musically, but at all

I didn't like Skyward Sword on Wii though I bought Skyward Sword HD a couple years ago to give it the ol' college try (again).

While I didn't initially dislike the game, things kept adding up until I only finished the game due to sunk cost fallacy. Also, I didn't have a ton of money back then and I spent full price for the special edition with the gold Wii Remote.

Motion controls were mostly fine except playing the harp and that section where Link has to swim to collect music notes. The art direction was good though Wii wasn't powerful enough to do what Nintendo wanted. I'd love to see a Zelda game that fully realizes that art style ( though I really like the art in Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom). The Silent Realm sections were kind of busted. I can see why others like it. Not for me.

My main criticisms though involve the plot, notably as it relates to the pitfalls of futzing around with prequels. Nintendo tends to do much better with simpler stories then often paints itself into a corner when it opts for something more. In many of these instances, either don't do something or do something right after and it would be more defensible. Can elaborate upon request as this is already longer than I intended.

This felt mostly negative so to say something positive about Skyward Sword: The Lanayru Sand Sea was one of the coolest things I've seen in a video game.

My problem with Skyward Sword is its whole vibe tbh. Cold, analytical Fi, + robots, mixed with spiritual deities, whimsical villagers and creepy looking characters and enemies, the mix was just jarring to me.

Wind Waker was out there and whimsical but at least it felt cohesive.

Unpopular opinion, but Skyward Sword was my favorite Zelda game until the one-two punch of ALBW and BotW dethroned it. Dungeons and puzzle solving are my favorite part of the franchise, and Skyward Sword literally turned the entire overworld into a dungeon lol

I like the artstyle, but I don't think it achieved the painterly effect it was going for. I only played the original, but even from footage/screenshots of the remaster, I don't feel that it's quite there. Too pixelated and the hard edges break the effect for me. Still pretty, just don't think they reached their goal.

I still maintain that it has the best track out of any Zelda game. I would maybe say OoT has more iconic tracks in terms of quantity, but the peaks in Skyward Sword are so, so high. The orchestral track really did make this feel like a grand, sweeping adventure.

Mix of popular and underrated music dump:

Awesome thread. The music is great, the narration is wonderful, the game is excellent. The Switch version corrected the accessibility problems and allowed me to enjoy the game. I absolutely love Skyward Sword.
Yea I found it really wasn't as rough as the internet lead me to believe for years. I think it might be due to me being able to not deal with as much motion controls as the original players would have. But by the end I could agree with the teams vision.

I've got a real soft spot for Skyward Sword, and was always more generally positive on it than most of the fanbase. I played through most of the game back on Wii and getting to replay (and actually finish) it on Switch only cemented my opinion that it got more right than it gets credit for. While it's not my favorite of the 3D Zeldas, I think it's probably in my top 5. It's just got a lot going for it that hit all the right notes to me: a solid and actually pretty engaging story, some of the best dungeons/bosses/items in the series, memorable side characters, an art style that I think holds up pretty dang well, and just this oozing sense of whimsy and charm about it

And I'll always appreciate how it feels like both the culmination of one way of doing things while also acting as a stepping stone of what was yet to come. While the sky overworld is on the sparse side compared something like Windwaker's The Great Sea, the on-ground areas are all so carefully designed and laid out in a way that really make full use of the mandatory revisits and the linear/guided structure of the game, pretty much always finding ways to keep things fresh (for instance I know it gets some flak but I actually really like the part when the whole forest is temporarily flooded and you need to collect all the Tadtones; it's a vibe); meanwhile things like stamina and weapon durability and some other things we all associate with the more recent open-air Zelda games kinda started to take shape here. It's fitting in a way that a game like Skyward Sword could both so heavily look to the series past while also laying the groundwork for the future of the franchise

Also I know you mentioned it in your write-up but I'm gonna bring it up again because in my opinion this is still, to this day, flat-out one of the coolest things any video game has ever done not just musically, but at all

Yea I really agree with the bolded. Like I said in the OP I came into this off some heavy Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom playthroughs. There's a lot of small and large things I felt were direct catalysts for the next game. Both in gameplay and narrative. Like how Demise curses link and Zelda with his malice for all time and in the literal next game. Calamity Ganon is pretty much spelled out to be exactly that. A malice infused curse. Or how item durability started here and really came into focus in future titles.

Zelda's lullaby is another thing that I think is so cute. It's the backwards lullaby and in a sense is the opposite like an awakening ballad. Cute since its billing itself as the start of the story so of course it makes sense to wake something up. And also fun in that Zelda has been in an unending sleep and needs to wake up. Works for me a lot when I sat down to think about it.

I am also in the camp that liked when you returned to previous areas to reexplore them with new context (except those spirit trials I did not care to do that 4 times). One of my weaknesses in games I like to see how devs expand on things already done to give new challenges. I knew while playing it that I would not be in the majority with that take though haha.

I didn't like Skyward Sword on Wii though I bought Skyward Sword HD a couple years ago to give it the ol' college try (again).

While I didn't initially dislike the game, things kept adding up until I only finished the game due to sunk cost fallacy. Also, I didn't have a ton of money back then and I spent full price for the special edition with the gold Wii Remote.

Motion controls were mostly fine except playing the harp and that section where Link has to swim to collect music notes. The art direction was good though Wii wasn't powerful enough to do what Nintendo wanted. I'd love to see a Zelda game that fully realizes that art style ( though I really like the art in Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom). The Silent Realm sections were kind of busted. I can see why others like it. Not for me.

My main criticisms though involve the plot, notably as it relates to the pitfalls of futzing around with prequels. Nintendo tends to do much better with simpler stories then often paints itself into a corner when it opts for something more. In many of these instances, either don't do something or do something right after and it would be more defensible. Can elaborate upon request as this is already longer than I intended.

This felt mostly negative so to say something positive about Skyward Sword: The Lanayru Sand Sea was one of the coolest things I've seen in a video game.
I definitely agree that hardware was holding it back. Every game has to be designed with hardware limitations in mind. But I did have quite a few moments where all you can do is go "oh the Wii couldn't do this".

My problem with Skyward Sword is its whole vibe tbh. Cold, analytical Fi, + robots, mixed with spiritual deities, whimsical villagers and creepy looking characters and enemies, the mix was just jarring to me.

Wind Waker was out there and whimsical but at least it felt cohesive.
I can agree and it's something I think Breath of the Wild plus Tears of the Kingdom were able to weave together much more naturally. At least on the side robots mixed with spiritual/magic beings. I wondered when I was playing if some of this stuff was intended to show that we are so early in the worlds timeline area's that haven't been unified by Hyrule are supposed to feel so at odds at times with other things. But considering how future games went I felt like it was just that the idea's weren't working as intended so they took a second stab at it in the next game.

Unpopular opinion, but Skyward Sword was my favorite Zelda game until the one-two punch of ALBW and BotW dethroned it. Dungeons and puzzle solving are my favorite part of the franchise, and Skyward Sword literally turned the entire overworld into a dungeon lol

I like the artstyle, but I don't think it achieved the painterly effect it was going for. I only played the original, but even from footage/screenshots of the remaster, I don't feel that it's quite there. Too pixelated and the hard edges break the effect for me. Still pretty, just don't think they reached their goal.

I still maintain that it has the best track out of any Zelda game. I would maybe say OoT has more iconic tracks in terms of quantity, but the peaks in Skyward Sword are so, so high. The orchestral track really did make this feel like a grand, sweeping adventure.

Mix of popular and underrated music dump:

Kinda makes me wish Zelda could get the "Mario 3D World" treatment where its port included a new expansion. I feel like 4-6 hours of new things with hardware that's leaps ahead of the Wii could really make the art style pop.

This is the best 3D Zelda before Breath of the Wild changed everything. Best game feel, bosses, items, dungeons, soundtrack, and even story.

It's a shame the button controls just aren't good enough versus the motion controls so handheld play isn't really viable, but oh well. This is still spectacular and Skyward Sword HD is an excellent upgrade that 100% completely replaces the original.

Great game but to this day I wish the Surface was a seamless world instead of three disconnected zones. I wouldn't mind Ocarina-esque corridors or small connective areas if it meant I could travel between provinces. I hyped up the game as a kid hoping for an 'ancient Hyrule' to explore and the feeling was diminished.

I really wish this game had an intermediate motion control setting so you could keep motion controls for sword and aiming, but nix the motion controls for the loftwing, swimming, certain other items and overworld actions

My opinion on Skyward Sword is that it's mostly enjoyable, but ultimately kind of forgettable, and so I see why it's got the reputation it has over the years

There are some excellent gameplay sequences in the game. There are also plenty that feel too much like filler, and the hub world of Skyloft is a little too empty and boring to justify its relative size (and half-baked flying mechanic). The overall vibe is not necessarily my cup of tea, but I can appreciate what they were going with. Personally I found things like Groose to mostly be a bit cringey and boring rather than truly memeworthy, but I'm also appreciative of the Zelda team trying new things with new characters. There's some truly great music and I think the ending of the story mostly comes together in a fairly satisfying way.

Probably my most controversial opinion about the game is that it would have been ~30% better if it was not made for motion controls. The motion controls on Switch are bad and the button controls are not that much better. That's what really dampened my enjoyment of the game.

I think if I were to wake up one day and suddenly be in charge of porting this game to Nintendo's next console and got told I can also lead a team to make an expansion. I think I'd end up focusing on Skyloft and expanding the activities there. I wouldn't go so far as to include a dungeon. But an overhaul to give NPCs actual schedules and paths to follow as it's very limited in this game. A second settlement in the sky that acts more as a "fun events" place with more mini games. Finally, I'd also add more rewards and prizes (think costumes or alternative looks for weapons) to give to players when doing things in Skyloft. I genuinely think Skyloft is on the cusp of being one of the best settlements in the entire series. It is just missing that extra bit of attention to really put it over.

Yes, my idea for the final reward for doing everything is being given a "super time crystal" that when hit. Somehow starts up the original Legend of Zelda for you to play. If beaten it would add a joke 8-bit outfit for Link and his sword/shield.

Last edited:
Never played SS until the HD remaster, and I was skeptical beforehand, but it has only grow on me since then - by far, my favourite 3D Zelda until the Wild ones, and one of my favourite games ever, period. I've played Wind Waker and Twilight Princess after Skyward, and I can only think that this is not only the culmination of the ideas proposed by those games - it is also miles ahead of both. I adore it, I simply do.

Loved the music - top 3 in the series
Loved the setting and the colors - top 3 in the series
Loved the lore - top 3 again

Did not love the gameplay and how it was structured which is at the rock bottom of the series for me personally.

Happy to have played it though

SSHD is an improvement on an already great game. Crisp/clean visuals and optional controls are a definite plus.

Played it on the Wii and found it fun but fundamentally a mess.

It wants to be an epic origin story with a world to explore and an orchestral soundtrack, and yet it's structured and designed like a saturday morning cartoon for kids.

Promises to make you feel immersed by using accurate motion controls, but has way too much handholding and fourth-wall breaking from Fi.
You go down to this dangerous world only to find the goofiest most fischer-price looking race and monster designs in the series.
Promises exploration in the sky and world below, but has none and is all puzzles instead.

It's great to play and often very clever, but it feels like it's fighting against itself at all times. Kind of like a GBA game struggling to fit an epic console game mould.
Should've just picked one or the other.

SSHD looks nice but for some reason there's something really off about the animations. Everything feels accelerated in an unnatural way. Maybe they got something wrong with the 60fps transition. Thought I'd get used to it after some hours but it wasn't the case.

I loved this game when it came out. I thought it was a 10/10 experience.

But replaying it now, it seems a very light zelda game. I like the motion controls, but there's not a lot to it after you learn how to kill enemies. Actually, the game gets a really low pace and I don't like it.

The game is beautiful, but the sky is pretty empty just like wind waker sea. Again, a good game, but TOTK really showed how to make a great sky layer over a open world gameplay.

A rare miss from Zelda for me. The idea of swinging a sword in my off hand to hit specific angles and timing just wasn’t fun for me, and especially not as the central, titular mechanic of the game. There’s plenty of motion controls I did really enjoy (the drone, archery, bowling), but the flying, sword fighting and swimming were just terrible to me, as were the repeated boss fights, tadtones and various other stuff that just felt like busywork. I found the tone all over the place too. Music was ace though, I love the main theme.

As for the Switch version, I mainly use portables these days and haven’t heard much to get me excited about the stick controls. Still, it was creative, and I’d be surprised if I loved every game in a series that reinvents itself as often as Zelda (or FF for that matter). I mean, I loved the stylus controls in PH/ST and plenty of people seem to dislike those too, so to each their own :)

Last edited:
Fun game that deserved all the criticism it received. There isn’t much of a sense of adventure as it’s too linear. Of course it’s very polished with excellent gameplay, as per usual with Nintendo products.

I also thought its story wasn’t good. It explains the origin of the master sword but still has more mysterious distant ancient past with the sand sea and robots. Why should an origin story also introduce a mysterious distant ancient past? Is it to emphasize that Hyrulean civilization has risen and fallen in multiple cycles?

I enjoyed it and got it on sale. 8.5/10 but Zelda games are supposed to be 10/10 and killer apps to sell systems like The Legend of Zelda and Breath of the Wild.

I'm surprised people are praising the music, I really wasn't a fan especially compared to the masterful music of OOT/MM. Different strokes, I guess.

Overall I think SS is just kinda ok, but it does have its moments. The last few hours of the game and the ancient cistern were the highlights for me

Fun game that deserved all the criticism it received. There isn’t much of a sense of adventure as it’s too linear. Of course it’s very polished with excellent gameplay, as per usual with Nintendo products.

I also thought its story wasn’t good. It explains the origin of the master sword but still has more mysterious distant ancient past with the sand sea and robots. Why should an origin story also introduce a mysterious distant ancient past? Is it to emphasize that Hyrulean civilization has risen and fallen in multiple cycles?

I enjoyed it and got it on sale. 8.5/10 but Zelda games are supposed to be 10/10 and killer apps to sell systems like The Legend of Zelda and Breath of the Wild.
I know some would consider this a "cop out" answer. But I do genuinely think the answer was to set up the Zonai for Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. I don't mean this in a sense that the developers knew exactly how they wanted to do it. But I mean that there was an idea to build up a mystery race across games and reveal them later. Cause looking at it while taking a step back. In Skyward Sword we find this long dead advanced area with technologically amazing feats that have long since rusted and died out. In Breath of the Wild once we get the ancient hero set, we see a visage of a race we have never seen before. Then in Tears of the Kingdom we meet the Zonai who have amazing magic and technical prowess that seems to put the other races to shame. And to me it feels like you can actually see the connecting line that potentially loops them all together.

But the thread has been fun! enjoyed reading everyone's comments so far. While I've been playing these games, I've also been playing a lot of Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. So, I might be making another thread for that later haha. Be warned I have a lot more to say about the fan service game then I do most every Zelda game due to how much I've played it over the years.

I really wish this game had an intermediate motion control setting so you could keep motion controls for sword and aiming, but nix the motion controls for the loftwing, swimming, certain other items and overworld actions
I agree. I actually liked the motion controls for swords but disliked them for almost everything else which made the game feel uneven to me. I haven’t played the HD version yet, but since I play only on my Lite I imagine I’ll just have standard controls.

I think it’s middle of the pack of 3D Zelda overall, but there’s still a lot to like about it.

The dungeons are arguably the best of any Zelda game. That's what I miss most in BOTW and TOTK.

But it's one of my least favorite in the series overall. The one complaint I want to add is fighting that giant sloth/badger boss in the Sealed Grounds THREE TIMES. Why.

In a parallel universe maybe. In my universe the HD version barely tried to fix the accessibility and did nothing to correct the many weaknesses and bad parts of the original game. It was a 7/10 experience for me. The weakest 3D Zelda I've beat.

I loved the dungeons though. Best part of the game.

I don’t know about the universes, but I know that I wasn’t physically able to play the Wii version because I can’t play motion gaming, and I know that I could play it on switch even if the controls are not perfect, they have at least reached more people.

Replaying the HD version made me realize issue with this game was always about the terrible pacing above anything else.

Good dungeons though.

I know some would consider this a "cop out" answer. But I do genuinely think the answer was to set up the Zonai for Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom. I don't mean this in a sense that the developers knew exactly how they wanted to do it. But I mean that there was an idea to build up a mystery race across games and reveal them later. Cause looking at it while taking a step back. In Skyward Sword we find this long dead advanced area with technologically amazing feats that have long since rusted and died out. In Breath of the Wild once we get the ancient hero set, we see a visage of a race we have never seen before. Then in Tears of the Kingdom we meet the Zonai who have amazing magic and technical prowess that seems to put the other races to shame. And to me it feels like you can actually see the connecting line that potentially loops them all together.
Cool idea and part of the fun of the ambiguity in the series lore is trying to piece it together!

For Tears of the Kingdom, the developers said that the history of the land of Hyrule might be cyclical with multiple kingdoms rising and declining over the millennia. I tend to think of the Kingdom that Zonai Rauru and Sonia founded as a successor to the one or maybe more from the NES to Wii games.

So how does Ganondorf/Ganon/Calamity Ganon fit it when there are multiple kingdoms over the millennia? I propose that Demise’s curse leads to Time of Legends Ganondorf/Ganon (the BotW/TotK characters refer to the NES to Wii games as the “Time of Legends” as they don’t know much about that distant history as it’s thousands of years before their Kingdom was founded/re-founded).

Time of Legends/Demise Curse Ganon eventually devolves into a horrible Eldrich Abomination that the people in the most recent Rauru/Sonia founded Kingdom refer to as Calamity Ganon. They don’t really know how it came to be, just that it’s the distillation of a super ancient evil from times beyond any know history at that point. I don’t know why it emerged from inside Hyrule Castle in BotW other than that is where it figured out that was how it could cause the most destruction when it emerged from being sealed in the Dark World.

Then, the Ganondorf that King Rauru sealed in a state of suspended combat is a successor to Demise’s Curse Ganon. He didn’t seem to know much about the Time of Legends or make any references to any Calamity. The Sheikah knew about the Calamity and probably knew about the successor Ganon under Hyrule Castle but didn’t confront it because they didn’t know if their magitech would work against the Ganondorf under the castle as they saw the Zonai Secret Stones as more powerful.

There are other reasonable interpretations too as that’s my take for now.

Back
Top Bottom